Kobe gets praise for his D

Kobe gets praise for his D

Postby KB24 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:17 pm

http://www.nba.com/2007fibaamericas/dengate_070825.html

LOCK DOWN DEFENSE

With all the collective firepower on the U.S. roster, it’s easy to get caught up in the spectacular offensive display, but do pay close attention to the effort the players are putting in on the other side of the ball.

“There’s a great deal of professionalism and pride on that end of the floor,” U.S. head coach Mike Krzyzewski said after Saturday’s win. “A lot of these guys have not been celebrated for their defense; they’ve been celebrated for their offense. And defense really gets us going.”

That effort starts with NBA All-Defensive first-teamer Kobe Bryant. As we have seen since Wednesday’s opening contest, Bryant is leading by example, being aggressive and suffocating players like University of Maryland sophomore Greivis Vasquez on the perimeter.

He’s able to do so and expend so much energy at that end of the floor because he’s not relied upon to carry the scoring load here, as he is in Los Angeles. That defensive intensity, in turn, is contagious.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby nameant on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:26 pm

His D has really been awesome. I think that's really the biggest difference this time around for team USA. Having an All-NBA 1st team defense back court setting the tone has made their team D great.
nameant

Postby KB24 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:34 pm

^agreed...Kobe has really been putting pressure on the guards...he has cought some stupid touch fouls but we know how scrub international guards abused Wade and co in the last 2 tournaments...they were absolutely clueless and got lighted up.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Questionmark on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:00 pm

I can't remember the last time I have seen Kobe play defense this consistently with so much effort. Man, we really need to give this guy some help (help he wants).
Questionmark

Postby temp5F on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:33 am

Questionmark wrote:I can't remember the last time I have seen Kobe play defense this consistently with so much effort. Man, we really need to give this guy some help (help he wants).

Yeah, bro. If he can just stay healthy and get back down to around 20 shots a game, then I think we'll see him sustain some nice defense throughout the season.

Now let's see if Bynum and Odom will step-up.
temp5F

Postby Lakerzrevenge on Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:18 am

Kobe's D, in all 3 games, has been just plain SICK!!He's rotating properly, he's going over screens, he's fighting big men in the post and he's lightining quick. He actually looks better on D than on O (along withthe spectacular Kobe-ish play throughout. I'm impressed.
“I put a lot of pressure on myself to go out and be great and the best player on the court. When I don’t, I feel bad for myself.” - Lebron James after Game 6 elimination to Celtics.
Lakerzrevenge

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:42 am

He wants to push his trade value :man10:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Black Sheep91 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:45 am

He should get praise, his defense has been impressive
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby Lakerzrevenge on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:49 am

THE REAL TEST COMES TONIGHT!!THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD!
“I put a lot of pressure on myself to go out and be great and the best player on the court. When I don’t, I feel bad for myself.” - Lebron James after Game 6 elimination to Celtics.
Lakerzrevenge

Postby Daloyalfan18 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:06 am

KB8@CL wrote:He wants to push his trade value :man10:

:man10: :man10: Hopefully this increases his value to the Lakers so he can get some help. :man1:
Daloyalfan18

Postby DangerousFromDeeep on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:06 am

KB8@CL wrote:^agreed...Kobe has really been putting pressure on the guards...he has cought some stupid touch fouls but we know how scrub international guards abused Wade and co in the last 2 tournaments...they were absolutely clueless and got lighted up.

Its a shame hes being wasted here in La
I believe in Evolution, if we are playing Pokemon, because thats about as realistic as it is. Everyone and everything evolved from 1 single celled organism? WOW! Really? Talk about faith...
“I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest deceit in the history of science.”
Proverbs 13:13
Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.
DangerousFromDeeep

Postby gdchild on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Kobe's D is really impressive.
gdchild

Postby Geno on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:13 pm

Losing 19 pounds helps a lot too.
Geno

Postby temp5F on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Geno wrote:Losing 19 pounds helps a lot too.

Yep, I'm hoping that his knees remain okay throughout the season. I hope he doesn't have to have his knees scoped in the future.
temp5F

Postby Warriors&Lakers on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:46 pm

KB8@CL wrote:He wants to push his trade value :man10:

might as well do it against weaker competition
Warriors&Lakers

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:06 pm

More Praise:

"Kobe has been a pacesetter for sure," Team USA director Jerry Colangelo said. "Defensively, he's just locking people down. He's so strong and so focused, you just can't say enough about his work ethic and how he has led. He's done a great job."

"For him it's about playing defense, and he enjoys that challenge. He understands he doesn't need to score 60 points to help us win, so he can use a little more energy on the defensive end than he's done in the past," Jason Kidd said. "He loves the challenge, and since the opening tipoff of that first game against Venezuela, he wants to take that best offensive player on the opposing team and make it as tough as possible. Against Barbosa, he did it again."

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/col ... USA-Brazil
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby scarface223 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:56 am

I think Kobe and J.Kidd have straight up made defense fun to watch. To me, this is the definition of defense, not the lame and cheap antics of a guy like Bruce Bowen
scarface223

Postby jordan0386 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:39 am

yea, he is playing good D...but diving on the floor, for no reason last night...i almost teared up :man6:
jordan0386

Postby Satan on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:53 am

If he was only playing 20 minutes a game he could do that on the Lakers as well.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby KB24 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:58 am

Satan wrote:If he was only playing 20 minutes a game he could do that on the Lakers as well.

good point...he also spends a lot of time on the bench which makes a world of difference.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:41 pm

Even more praise:

If we’ve learned one thing from watching Team USA this summer, it’s this: the debate over who’s the best player in the world isn’t a debate anymore. Kobe Bryant has been the primary factor in why this year’s version of the U.S. squad is so much better than the last few versions. (No, we’re not dissing Jason Kidd, it’s just the truth.) Last night was Kobe’s best game of the tournament — he dropped 20 points and three triples on Brazil, and held tourney leading scorer Leandro Barbosa to four points, four turnovers and zero assists. Before the game, we know a lot of folks thought that even if Brazil lost, Barbosa would go off. Turns out he was taken out of the equation, opening the door for Team USA’s 37-point W.

– DIME MAGAZINE
Last edited by Ras Algethi on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby kroublees on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:44 pm

two0one7 wrote:Even more praise:

f we’ve learned one thing from watching Team USA this summer, it’s this: the debate over who’s the best player in the world isn’t a debate anymore. Kobe Bryant has been the primary factor in why this year’s version of the U.S. squad is so much better than the last few versions. (No, we’re not dissing Jason Kidd, it’s just the truth.) Last night was Kobe’s best game of the tournament — he dropped 20 points and three triples on Brazil, and held tourney leading scorer Leandro Barbosa to four points, four turnovers and zero assists. Before the game, we know a lot of folks thought that even if Brazil lost, Barbosa would go off. Turns out he was taken out of the equation, opening the door for Team USA’s 37-point W.

– DIME MAGAZINE
:jam2:
"To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly." Dirk Nowitzki on Kobe
kroublees

Postby nameant on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:30 pm

two0one7 wrote:Even more praise:

If we’ve learned one thing from watching Team USA this summer, it’s this: the debate over who’s the best player in the world isn’t a debate anymore. Kobe Bryant has been the primary factor in why this year’s version of the U.S. squad is so much better than the last few versions. (No, we’re not dissing Jason Kidd, it’s just the truth.) Last night was Kobe’s best game of the tournament — he dropped 20 points and three triples on Brazil, and held tourney leading scorer Leandro Barbosa to four points, four turnovers and zero assists. Before the game, we know a lot of folks thought that even if Brazil lost, Barbosa would go off. Turns out he was taken out of the equation, opening the door for Team USA’s 37-point W.

– DIME MAGAZINE

Get your facts straight. (At least) 2 of those points came when Kobe was on the bench.

:man9: :man9:
nameant

Return to Team USA