Kobe headlines 17 players expected for USA hoops minicamp

Postby ADT on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:56 am

Associated Press
Updated: July 17, 2007, 11:58 AM ET

Kobe Bryant headlines the list of 17 players who are expected to report for U.S. national team minicamp this weekend in Las Vegas.

USA hoops minicamp roster
Kobe Bryant headlines the list of expected participants for the the three-day camp on the campus of UNLV that will be used to select the finalists for next month's FIBA Americas tournament, the regional qualifier for the 2008 Olympics. The roster must be finalized by Aug. 22.
Expected participants:
• Kobe Bryant
• LeBron James
• Carmelo Anthony
• Dwight Howard
• Chris Bosh
• Shane Battier
• Kirk Hinrich
• Chauncey Billups
• Amare Stoudemire
• Michael Redd
• Kevin Durant
• Jason Kidd
• Mike Miller
• Tyson Chandler
• Tayshaun Prince
• J.J. Redick
• Deron Williams

The three-day camp on the campus of UNLV will be used to select the finalists for next month's FIBA Americas tournament, the regional qualifier for the 2008 Olympics. The roster must be trimmed to 12 players before the tournament starts on Aug. 22.

There are 32 players in the national team program, but 15 are unavailable for minicamp, leaving the Americans with fewer players than expected. Coach Mike Krzyzewski said last week he thought 18 or 19 would be in camp.

Bryant, the league's scoring champion, had knee surgery last summer and was unable to play in the world championships, where the Americans finished third. LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Shane Battier and Kirk Hinrich are the only players from that team scheduled to take part this weekend.

They will be joined by Chauncey Billups, Amare Stoudemire and Michael Redd, all members of the program last summer but unable to participate. Kevin Durant, Jason Kidd, Mike Miller, Tyson Chandler, Tayshaun Prince, J.J. Redick and Deron Williams will also attend.

Dwyane Wade and Greg Oden are among the players who can't play because of injuries or other reasons, though Wade, one of the team captains, is expected to be in Las Vegas. Elton Brand, a key member of last year's team, and Shawn Marion are among the recent injury withdrawals.

The Americans will train for two days before dividing up the roster for a blue-white game on Sunday.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

Formally known as: KobeOdom24/7

I Bleed Purple & Gold!!

Ship His A$$ out!
-Kobe Bryant on Andrew Bynum

ADT

Postby ADT on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:58 am

maybe a Team USA Stickied in the NBA section would be dope or its own topic under the forum index? :man1: :jam2:
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

I Bleed Purple & Gold!!

Ship His A$$ out!

ADT

Postby polypro127 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:03 am

Do you think they woulve of won gold last summer if Kobe still played?
"I don't know how to put this... but, I'm kind of a big deal... people know me... I'm very important... I have many leather-bound books... and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
polypro127

Postby ADT on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:21 am

polypro127 wrote:Do you think they woulve of won gold last summer if Kobe still played?

hell yeah! Kobe would have lit up all those weak National teams And there wouldnt have been international player who would have been able to hold Kobe to under 30 pts....I bet Kobe takes over games in the US qualifying tourn.

I Bleed Purple & Gold!!

Ship His A$$ out!

ADT

Postby L4L on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:40 am

I don't think Kobe is going to receive a significant amount of minutes.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby ADT on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:41 am

L4L wrote:I don't think Kobe is going to receive a significant amount of minutes.

Are u kidding me? He's gunna start the game and be the "Faciltiator" I guarantee! and I know he's gunna ball for sure! He wants to win the Gold medal without a doubt! Just anoter step into Jordans Legacy! :man1:

I Bleed Purple & Gold!!

Ship His A$$ out!

ADT

Postby MadMax on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:47 am

L4L wrote:I don't think Kobe is going to receive a significant amount of minutes.

Yeah Kobe's not going to play the whole game, but i think your going out on a limb when your telling me that the best player on the whole team isnt going to have some significant minutes. He will.
MadMax

Postby DC_King on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:04 am

I am only sad that Carlos Boozer is not on the team. I wonder why

I dont think Kobe would have made a difference. Team USA wasalways had some Gig men to play down low, to block shots, score inside the paint, reboun, etc. If I am not wrong, and correct if I am, the last team USA had Brad

Miller, whi does not do any of that. Now Hopefully , with this team of Howard, Tyson, Amare, Bosh joining Kidd, kobe james, carmelo & billups, they will win Gold.

If it was up to me team USA Roster would look like this:

PG: Jason Kidd/ C. Billups/ Deron Williams ( All great passers and can score at will)

Sg: Kobe/ Redd/ Miller ( can score at will/ Redd and Miller are our 3pt threat.

SF: James/ Carmelo/Prince: James and Carmelo can play either forward, they can start at 3 and 4, I guess. at the 3 no comment

Pf: Amare and Bosh ( no commen)

C: Howard and Tyson. No comment

Our bigs will control the paint.
With that being said. Team USA will be threat on the inside and out.

Our defense will be scary. Thats what I think
Long Live The King
DC_King

Postby DC_King on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:09 am

Excuse me for my Grammar. I was doing two things at the same time.

I am only sad that Carlos Boozer is not on the team. I wonder why

I dont think Kobe would have made a difference. Team USA was alwaysknown to have some big men to play down low, to block shots, score inside the paint, rebound, etc. If I am not wrong, and correct me if I am, the last team USA had Brad Miller, who does not do any of that. Now Hopefully , with this team of Howard, Tyson, Amare, Bosh joining Kidd, kobe james, carmelo & billups, they will win Gold.

If it was up to me, team USA Roster would look like this:

PG: Jason Kidd/ C. Billups/ Deron Williams ( All great passers and can score at will)

Sg: Kobe/ Redd/ Miller ( can score at will/ Redd and Miller are our 3pt threat.

SF: James/ Carmelo/Prince: James and Carmelo can play either forward, they can start at 3 and 4, I guess. at the 3 no comment

Pf: Amare and Bosh ( no commen)

C: Howard and Tyson. No comment

Our bigs will control the paint.
With that being said. Team USA will be threat on the inside and out.

Our defense will be scary. Thats what I think
Long Live The King
DC_King

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:40 am

Kobe and the gang gonna bring home the Gold.

Goodluck TEAM U.S.A.
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Re: Kobe headlines 17 players expected for USA hoops minicam

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:48 am

• Kobe Bryant
• LeBron James
• Carmelo Anthony
• Dwight Howard
• Shane Battier
• Chauncey Billups
• Amare Stoudemire
• Jason Kidd
• Tyson Chandler
• Tayshaun Prince
• Deron Williams

These guys should be a lock imo.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby andrewicecold3000 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:00 pm

Wasn't Lamar supposed to play with Team USA? Maybe not....
http://www.ratednfornasty.wordpress.com

Just a blog of a group of highschool friends in Southern CA.
andrewicecold3000

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 pm

andrewicecold3000 wrote:Wasn't Lamar supposed to play with Team USA? Maybe not....

to busy being in headlined trade rumors
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby Radner on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:44 pm

Where is Ray Allen?

Here's my team:

• Kobe Bryant
• LeBron James
• Carmelo Anthony
• Dwight Howard
• Chris Bosh
• Shane Battier
• Chauncey Billups
• Amare Stoudemire
• Michael Redd
• Jason Kidd
• Tayshaun Prince
- Ray Allen
Last edited by Radner on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radner

Postby kroublees on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:49 pm

JKsnoots wrote:Where is Ray Allen?
i dont think they will invite Von wafer :man3: :man11:
"To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly." Dirk Nowitzki on Kobe
kroublees

Postby Radner on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:50 pm

kroublees wrote:

If Allen and Redd are not on that team, we mine as well not even show up for the Olympics. Outside shooting is essential if you want to win.
Radner

Postby temp5F on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:54 pm

JKsnoots wrote:
kroublees wrote:

If Allen and Redd are not on that team, we mine as well not even show up for the Olympics. Outside shooting is essential if you want to win.

That's what Kobe is for - plus he's used to physical play, so he won't get checked easily.
temp5F

Postby PhifeDogg76 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:59 pm

i dont have th link but didnt dirk and pau say that if they had Kobe, they would of won the gold in the world championships?

new draft new year
PhifeDogg76

Postby the sauce on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Kobe will be a match-up nightmare for these international teams. Many of the great young players in the NBA do the brunt of their work within 8 feet of the hoop (D-Wade, LeBron). The defense for that is easy, pack it in the key. They do it every single play, and every single play Team USA ends up looking stupid.

Kobe is the greatest threat in the world from 10-20 feet. He will bring at least two men out of the key every single time down the court. That is what will give this team a different look than the teams of years passed.
the sauce

Postby kroublees on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:13 pm

PhifeDogg76 wrote:i dont have th link but didnt dirk and pau say that if they had Kobe, they would of won the gold in the world championships?
read my sig
"To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly." Dirk Nowitzki on Kobe
kroublees

Postby mrknight40 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:19 pm

They have to trim the roster down to 12... which players do you guys think are going to be cut?
mrknight40

Postby lakerzkb8 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:29 pm

Hopefully he doesn't demand a trade from this team
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby L4L on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:32 pm

MadMaxLakersFan wrote:

Yeah Kobe's not going to play the whole game, but i think your going out on a limb when your telling me that the best player on the whole team isnt going to have some significant minutes. He will.

I donno. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get like 20-25 minutes a game.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby MadMax on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:36 pm

L4L wrote:
MadMaxLakersFan wrote:

I donno. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get like 20-25 minutes a game.

well...yeah the team is stacked, they might not even need him to play that much.

But make NO mistake about, Kobe by far is the best player on that team. He is the difference maker. I'll go as far and say America will bring back the gold and a huge reason will be because of him alone.

Kinda being a Kobe homer, but after watching TEAM USA make me ill for the past 5-6 years, I can def tell that having Kobe play for team USA, is going to make a huge difference.
MadMax

Postby temp5F on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:19 pm

lakerzkb8 wrote:Hopefully he doesn't demand a trade from this team

Yeah, this post was really necessary in this thread.
temp5F

Next

Return to Team USA