Kobe & Odom on playing for Team USA this summer

Kobe & Odom on playing for Team USA this summer

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:08 pm

LA Times: Dwyane Wade might need shoulder surgery and LeBron James has been waffling, but the Lakers have two players who will represent the U.S. this summer in an Olympic qualifying tournament.

Maybe.

Kobe Bryant said he was still firmly committed to playing for Team USA, but Lamar Odom has a more questionable situation because of the torn labrum in his left shoulder.

"As of now, I'm going," Odom said. "It depends on the MRI on my shoulder. If I have to get surgery, I won't be able to go. If it heals and it feels good enough to where I can play, I'll play."

The U.S. team convenes in late August in Las Vegas for two weeks at the Tournament of the Americas. Odom and Bryant agreed to a three-summer commitment last year as part of Team USA's increased requirements leading up to the 2008 Beijing Olympics, but Bryant could not play last summer because he had surgery on his knee and Odom did not play after the death of his infant son.

Bryant, who has remained in contact this season with U.S. Coach Mike Krzyzewski, reaffirmed his commitment this week.

"I'm playing," he said. "I can't wait. I got a message [Monday] from Coach K, just offering encouragement. I'm ready to go."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:11 pm

I'd really like to see both of these guys on the team, that would be awesome to have 2 Lakers representing in the Olympics. I'd also be interested to see how Odom would play when he doesn't feel he has to defer to Kobe, I bet it'd be a glimpse of what we all expected to originaly see when we heard Kobe and Odom would be together. Odom can really play when he has guys to dish to that can catch a pass, he was one of the only bright spots on that losing team he was on.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby nimannn on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:22 pm

I hope Odom goes. I'm planning a Vegas trip in late August to see team USA play.
nimannn

Postby Radner on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:43 pm

Why is Odom on the team? There are plenty of players in the league who are better than him.
Radner

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:49 pm

JKsnoots wrote:Why is Odom on the team? There are plenty of players in the league who are better than him.

Apparently not because he was one of the best and most consistent performers on the team that lost last time in the Olympics. All the so called superstars sucked it up or pouted (LeBron, Melo). Only AI, LO, and maybe a few other guys were consistent, heck I can't even remember who was on that team it sucked so much.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Radner on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Weezy wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:Why is Odom on the team? There are plenty of players in the league who are better than him.

Apparently not because he was one of the best and most consistent performers on the team that lost last time in the Olympics. All the so called superstars sucked it up or pouted (LeBron, Melo). Only AI, LO, and maybe a few other guys were consistent, heck I can't even remember who was on that team it sucked so much.

Paul Pierce, Tim Duncan.......
Radner

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:55 pm

JKsnoots wrote:
Weezy wrote:

I'm pretty sure Paul Pierce IS invited to be on the USA team, but Duncan doesn't want to anymore, just like KG. Lots of guys that weren't on last summer will have a chance to be on this summer, a lot of them had prior commitments. I believe Kidd is invited and Billups was busy with a new baby or something. The team will eventualy be much better than last summer's team. Just adding Kidd, Billups and Kobe makes them tons better.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby sylabdul on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:59 pm

Kobe with a team FULL of more than capale players = Gold/championship :jam2:
sylabdul

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:09 am

Its not all about scoring or star power... hes a good passer, unselfish, perfect for the team...
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby Tragic on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:19 am

sylabdul wrote:Kobe with a team FULL of more than capale players = Gold/championship :jam2:

Wade not playing, and Kobe starting= Gold.
Tragic

Postby Lakers Showtime24-7 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:23 am

sylabdul wrote:Kobe with a team FULL of more than capale players = Gold/championship :jam2:

MVP, MVP, MVP!!!!!
GOLD!
Happiness for all!!!
Lakers Showtime24-7

Postby wavy on Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:35 am

well LO played very well in greece. he blocked more shots then all the ceneters in the american team, well maybe he didn't but he played great deffense.
wavy

Postby UKUGA on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:22 am

They don't want LO because he's the "best", they want to actually try and build a team.

Maybe this year, they'll actually have a 3 point shooter on the squad.

Anyway, I don't think LO should play. If he plays, and hurts the shoulder worse in August, has to have September surgery, and is then out until January, I'll be really ticked off.
UKUGA

Postby Radner on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:21 am

Weezy wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
Weezy wrote:

I'm pretty sure Paul Pierce IS invited to be on the USA team, but Duncan doesn't want to anymore, just like KG. Lots of guys that weren't on last summer will have a chance to be on this summer, a lot of them had prior commitments. I believe Kidd is invited and Billups was busy with a new baby or something. The team will eventualy be much better than last summer's team. Just adding Kidd, Billups and Kobe makes them tons better.

Who is left off the team, Paul or Hinrich?

Also Ray Allen and Michael Redd are on the team. The two best shooters along with Kobe, Kidd, and Billups. :man4:
Radner

Postby no_dont on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:34 am

they must not want to win
HO-BE
no_dont

Postby nimannn on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:00 am

Odom was the third best player in the 2004 Olympics behind Iverson and Duncan, that's why he's there.
nimannn

Postby Radner on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:18 pm

nimannn wrote:Odom was the third best player in the 2004 Olympics behind Iverson and Duncan, that's why he's there.

And we didn't get gold, what's your point? Anyone who was on that team deserves not to be in Beijing with the exception of Duncan.
Radner

Postby iLikeBigBUTTS on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 pm

i wanna see kobe play this summer, but you know its gonna take away from his offseason training. he might come back kinda slow like lebron did this year. I know people say this a lot, but it seems like when ever players play during the offseason, they get injury prone and dont show any improvement in their games. of course there are exceptions like Bosh and Melo, i'm hoping that Kobe will be one too.
iLikeBigBUTTS

Postby JSM on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:03 pm

iLikeBigBUTTS wrote:i wanna see kobe play this summer, but you know its gonna take away from his offseason training. he might come back kinda slow like lebron did this year. I know people say this a lot, but it seems like when ever players play during the offseason, they get injury prone and dont show any improvement in their games. of course there are exceptions like Bosh and Melo, i'm hoping that Kobe will be one too.

2 weeks shouldn't take too much time away from his off season routine. Plus, playing against the best of the best in the Team USA practices will be good for him.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:07 pm

iLikeBigBUTTS wrote:i wanna see kobe play this summer, but you know its gonna take away from his offseason training. he might come back kinda slow like lebron did this year. I know people say this a lot, but it seems like when ever players play during the offseason, they get injury prone and dont show any improvement in their games. of course there are exceptions like Bosh and Melo, i'm hoping that Kobe will be one too.

theyre not traveling overseas this time although whoever advances to the finals will be playing 10 games in 12 days.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby KGB on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:11 pm

Good for both of them.
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby pnynby24 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Because its the Olympics and not NBA 2K7
pnynby24

Return to Team USA