Is Kobe Wasting his offseason by playing on the olympic team

Postby png247 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:51 pm

he deserves to go. he wants to go. it's as simple as that. he wont get the mvp, let him get the gold medal in his resume.

with him having a resurgence in the marketing dept he probably would have spent a lot of time traveling and promoting stuff anyways.
png247

Postby Radner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:52 pm

10scott10 wrote:
Showtime is Magic wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
Showtime is Magic wrote:
nameant wrote:y'all dont want USA to get the gold? :man3:

thats what im asking myself. Im sick of hearing other countries gloat about their victories. WE ARE WINNING GOLD AGAIN.

Not if Spain, Argentina, Greece :mad1:, and Italy have anything to say about it.

not with the team that we should have on the court. If every good US player played, we would win easy. Committment is KEY

beleive me. since the NBA has become more international, a lot of the guys on the foreign teams won't be new to the USA guys. IMO the team should be
PG: deron williams/ kidd
SG: kobe/ redd
SF: prince/lebron
PF: bosh/howard
C: Oden/wallace

I put oden and ben wallace in there because i think they need guys who are not constantly looking for offense, but to play defense. same reason for putting in tayshan prince.
i don't have wade, ray allen, or chris paul because they will all be getting off-season surgery

Too many young guys who aren't experienced. :disagree:
Radner

Re: Is Kobe Wasting his offseason by playing on the olympic

Postby JShow34 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:06 pm

mar10albert0 wrote:Is Kobe wasting his offseason by playing on the olympic team? I don't think that he's even a starter. but what I mean with this is, would kobe and the lakers be better off if Kobe just trains and harnesses new skills and new shots?

I think he should just train in the offseason

You're a moron for suggesting otherwise. There is no better training than playing against the best. What do you want him to do? Shoot 1,000 jumpers in a gym by himself a day?
JShow34

Postby mar10albert0 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:29 pm

actually yes i would want him to take a 1000 jumpshots in a gym. if you know KOBE you would know that that's exactly what he's said he's done in the past.

who's the moron now? :man8:
mar10albert0

Postby 10scott10 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:36 pm

JKsnoots wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
Showtime is Magic wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
Showtime is Magic wrote:
nameant wrote:y'all dont want USA to get the gold? :man3:

thats what im asking myself. Im sick of hearing other countries gloat about their victories. WE ARE WINNING GOLD AGAIN.

Not if Spain, Argentina, Greece :mad1:, and Italy have anything to say about it.

not with the team that we should have on the court. If every good US player played, we would win easy. Committment is KEY

beleive me. since the NBA has become more international, a lot of the guys on the foreign teams won't be new to the USA guys. IMO the team should be
PG: deron williams/ kidd
SG: kobe/ redd
SF: prince/lebron
PF: bosh/howard
C: Oden/wallace

I put oden and ben wallace in there because i think they need guys who are not constantly looking for offense, but to play defense. same reason for putting in tayshan prince.
i don't have wade, ray allen, or chris paul because they will all be getting off-season surgery

Too many young guys who aren't experienced. :disagree:

no, 4 of them have been to finals. IMO young with this talent can just mean hungrier
10scott10

Postby Venti Quattro on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Kobe Bryant WILL start for Team USA and Kobe Bryant WILL lead TEAM USA to victory...LeBron, 'Melo, Bosh, and Wade could not get the job done and the best player in the league will show the world who is boss.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby UncLaker on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:40 pm

tttppp wrote:
mar10albert0 wrote:Is Kobe wasting his offseason by playing on the olympic team? I don't think that he's even a starter. but what I mean with this is, would kobe and the lakers be better off if Kobe just trains and harnesses new skills and new shots?

He still needs to rehab his knee. He should use this as an excuse to not play. Kobe's will most likely go deep in the playoffs each of the next few seasons. Adding Olympic team duties too could really wear him down.
Plus team USA sucks anyways. They showed last year they are following the same model as they always do. They just grab the biggest names possible and could care less how they fit together. The only difference is that the media hypes this team up as the one with role players (even though they don't have any) and one that actually plays team ball (even though they dont).

If they wanted to win gold, they'd just dump a truckload of money at Phil Jackson's door and say "build a team and win a gold for us." Instead they just brought in big names to market the crap out of the team.

Rest would be good.
Not to mention all the bruises he will get on his arms from throwing all those elbows and forearms vs. those white players(Tom Friend)
UNC Lakers

Mitch Kupchak,Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins,
JR Reid, Shammond Williams,George Lynch, Charlie Scott,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_North_Carolina_players_went_to_the_NBA_dont_forget_Brandon_Wright

"that guy has the best NO PASS look in the game today"
"If ya dont practice Defense, You cant practice winning"

"Antawn Jamison in Purple and Gold please"
UncLaker

Postby JShow34 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:40 pm

mar10albert0 wrote:actually yes i would want him to take a 1000 jumpshots in a gym. if you know KOBE you would know that that's exactly what he's said he's done in the past.

Nothing beats competition. Nothing beats going out there with some of the games best, the comradary.

Jordan was a different player after the Olympics. It never hurts.
JShow34

Postby UncLaker on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:48 pm

mar10albert0 wrote:actually yes i would want him to take a 1000 jumpshots in a gym. if you know KOBE you would know that that's exactly what he's said he's done in the past.

Actually Kobe said he makes a 1000 jumpshots in the gym. :jam2:
UNC Lakers

Mitch Kupchak,Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins,
JR Reid, Shammond Williams,George Lynch, Charlie Scott,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_North_Carolina_players_went_to_the_NBA_dont_forget_Brandon_Wright

"that guy has the best NO PASS look in the game today"
"If ya dont practice Defense, You cant practice winning"

"Antawn Jamison in Purple and Gold please"
UncLaker

Postby jazzy1 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:50 pm

Good for his image. Might be the only player the world actually fears, they smoked Wade and Lebron, Kobe can beat teams by himself. He'll provide some arrogance and toughness to the sqaud.

but if he leads them to victory he'll get all the credit and he'll qiote possibly start getting real MVP consideration.

at this stage of his career I wish he'd not play and train and get that little bit of athleticism back he loss from surgery but the image reinforcement is more important.
jazzy1

Postby Critical Beatdown on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:14 am

Dirk was already quoted last year saying the US would win it with Kobe, hands down.

Time for Kobe to prove it.

Also, in my mind, Arenas needs to be on that team. Amare too.
Critical Beatdown

Postby tttppp on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:30 pm

JShow34 wrote:

Nothing beats competition. Nothing beats going out there with some of the games best, the comradary.

Where's the competition? None of the players on team USA play a lick of defense. What does he gain by being there?

Maybe he could train with guys like Artest, Prince, or Bowen...guys not selected by team USA.
tttppp

Postby MadMax on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:27 pm

lol @ Kobe not starting.
MadMax

Postby KGB on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:38 pm

jazzy1 wrote:Good for his image. Might be the only player the world actually fears, they smoked Wade and Lebron, Kobe can beat teams by himself. He'll provide some arrogance and toughness to the sqaud.

but if he leads them to victory he'll get all the credit and he'll qiote possibly start getting real MVP consideration.

at this stage of his career I wish he'd not play and train and get that little bit of athleticism back he loss from surgery but the image reinforcement is more important.
Not to kobe.
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby Maelstrom on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:40 pm

mar10albert0 wrote:I don't think that he's even a starter

Stopped reading after that.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned here would not be able to dream of heaven?"

Sandman / A Hope in Hell
Maelstrom

Postby DMK on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:42 pm

I think its a GREAT thing for Kobe to play for the US this summer and next summer etc.

Team USA Needs Kobe Bryant..... anything less just wont bring back the Gold home where it belongs.

It will be something that will not only be a delight for Kobe, but it will also go a ways in improving his public persona further. There are plenty of Kobe-haters that would have no choice but root for the man when it came down to a close battle in the olympics.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Xepa on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:47 pm

DMK wrote:I think its a GREAT thing for Kobe to play for the US this summer and next summer etc.

Team USA Needs Kobe Bryant..... anything less just wont bring back the Gold home where it belongs.

It will be something that will not only be a delight for Kobe, but it will also go a ways in improving his public persona further. There are plenty of Kobe-haters that would have no choice but root for the man when it came down to a close battle in the olympics.

completely agree. In addition, sometimes it's not about being selfish and caring about ME ME ME, it's about representing our country and our values. I'd love to send Kobe off to represent the US, and i'm disturbed by anyone who disagrees.

Team FARMAR.
alleon86, The Bynum Supremacy, Barnstable, Massacre, nicehair911, melo061, Chicano, Kwame's Cake, lizlakers31, KobeBryant583, popo, C-mac 4.35, dj vitus, M4mb4 24
Xepa

Postby Tragic on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:54 pm

MadMaxLakersFan wrote:lol @ Kobe not starting.

LMFAO. Whose starting instead of him? Wade? :mhihi:
Tragic

Postby Ianxcom on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:01 pm

He'll stay in shape. He'll be fine.
Goodbye Odom, you will be missed
Ianxcom

Location: We always think there's something better in the place we are not, In dreams the reality of it all...

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:06 pm

:hurl:
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:07 pm

sarc4stic wrote:
mar10albert0 wrote:I don't think that he's even a starter

Stopped reading after that.

:mhihi:
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby 81 Is Not Enough on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Kobe can show the whole 2003 draft class how to win. :mhihi:
81 Is Not Enough

Postby KB24 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Dude, I have been waiting forever to see Kobe torch this international bums, that constantly abuse the Wades, Brons, Melos.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby 10scott10 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:18 pm

tttppp wrote:
JShow34 wrote:

Where's the competition? None of the players on team USA play a lick of defense. What does he gain by being there?

Maybe he could train with guys like Artest, Prince, or Bowen...guys not selected by team USA.

this year the competition is in las vegas. not a horrible distance from home.
10scott10

Postby 81 Is Not Enough on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:20 pm

KB8@CL wrote:Dude, I have been waiting forever to see Kobe torch this international bums, that constantly abuse the Wades, Brons, Melos.

Melo was our MVP because he was the most skilled out of the 3.
81 Is Not Enough

PreviousNext

Return to Team USA