melo

melo

Postby LakersChamps04 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:24 am

melo had 28 points..but noone seems to be talkin about him..whats up with that?
LakersChamps04

Postby Satan on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:44 am

Story of Melo's life. :man10:
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:46 am

He had 28 points, but most were just open shots. Whenever he went to the hoop he got stripped or lost the ball, overall it was a sloppy game for him that's why no talk. I still think he definetly belongs on the team though, guy can score.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:10 pm

Honestly last night, I was thinking to myself that Melo wasn't doing much. I thought he had like 6 points or something, then it flashes across the screen: Melo 20 points. He had a quiet performance. Really I think it was that Kidd, Bron, Dwight, Kobe, and Durant were so impressive, Melo's game didn't seem that impressive.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:49 pm

Dwight Howard had 6 TO's.

Typical.

I guess TO's for Howard will be in his career like FT's are for Shaq.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 pm

The story with Melo was definitely that he was hitting open shots and looking foolish and out of sorts at other times. I was surprised as well when I saw the points he'd scored.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JuanoLAL on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:15 pm

Satan wrote:Story of Melo's life. :man10:

Must be hard being 'Melo.
JuanoLAL

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:15 am

JuanyO wrote:
Satan wrote:Story of Melo's life. :man10:

Must be hard being 'Melo.

ya it must be very hard to play ball allday and make big money.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Tragic on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:18 am

Nobody was guarding Melo lol. Like Weezy said, they were practically free shots. Same with Dwight Howard, Amare just let him easily make all of his nine field goals.
Tragic

Postby CheezStake on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:12 pm

No one is talking about Melo's 28 because he has been the go-to scorer on this team from day 1. Yes they were open shots, but he knocks them down time and again. Redd was building a sidewalk in the first half with all those bricks, but he finally woke up and drained a few. Melo scores inside and out, regardless of who is guarding him. His performance against Greece (I think) last year was astonishing. The guy hit 11 shots in a row, all from distance - and set an international play record with points in a half. Melo has surprised me more than any player on this roster with his incredible play. :bow:
CheezStake

Postby addwuzhere on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:25 pm

JSM wrote:Honestly last night, I was thinking to myself that Melo wasn't doing much. I thought he had like 6 points or something, then it flashes across the screen: Melo 20 points. He had a quiet performance. Really I think it was that Kidd, Bron, Dwight, Kobe, and Durant were so impressive, Melo's game didn't seem that impressive.

same here
NBA Quotes:
Alonzo, winning the DPOY:"I thank my teammates for letting their men blow by them."

Shaq:"I made a 1,600 minus 800 minus 200 on the SAT, so I'm very intelligent when I speak."

Chick Hearn:"The game's in the refrigerator. The door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jiggling."
addwuzhere

Postby karver on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:19 am

Lost the ball going to the hoop ? Are you guys blind ? Didn't you see couple of times how he just powered his way into the paint using dropstep and then finished at the rim ? + he hit most of his opportunities ( open shots ). Didn't ball hog. Just stellar performance.... :jam2:
karver

Postby temp5F on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:08 pm

karver wrote:Lost the ball going to the hoop ? Are you guys blind ? Didn't you see couple of times how he just powered his way into the paint using dropstep and then finished at the rim ? + he hit most of his opportunities ( open shots ). Didn't ball hog. Just stellar performance.... :jam2:

I didn't see anyone hogging any ball. Last I checked everyone got touches.

And in case you're referring to Kobe:

He tied and won the game and helped lockdown James in the last play.
temp5F

Postby karver on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:28 am

temp5F :
How tipycal for kobe ****-rider . You guys have a special gift of finding [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] even where isn't any :disagree:
karver

Postby GCMD on Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Melo is actually the second best player on Team USA. He doesn't have the most physical tools but he has the most fumdamentals of any player on that team NOT named Kobe Bryant or Jason Kidd...
GCMD

Postby lunatic4jc on Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:57 pm

melo is pretty athletic .. he's big.. strong and explosive.. the only flaw i see in his game is his defense.. his passing could be better but he's a forward anyway..
lunatic4jc

Postby Weezy on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:20 pm

I've been wondering over the past few days during these games who it was that was bashing Melo for no reason before the tournament. I kept asking in those gameday threads where is the guy that said Melo sucked before this tournament and no response. So, I did some digging and found out, check out these gems

A Rush wrote:Having finally watched the entire scrimmage, the 5 players I'd cut are:

Amare
Hinrich (with Deron getting the nod over Kirk)
Redd (quite dreadful and much too trigger-happy)
Reddick
Carmelo Anthony (total black hole on offense and completely inept when facing a zone)

Anthony and Amare especially are just there because they are a "name". Carmelo is completely wrong for the European rules. Sure he can score but the ball doesn't move with him on the team. And if you want to win in FIBA rules, ball has to move as crisply as possible. And Amare is useless, when you already have Howard, Chandler and Bosh. As one-dimensional as bigs come..

A Rush wrote:I'm of the opinion that it's because you had guys like Melo that you only won the bronze. Like it or not, the ball stops moving once carmelo gets hold of it and that spells death in international competition, especially against the Zone. It also doesn't help that carmelo seems to have the basketball IQ of a peanut. Huge talent but dumb as a rock basketball-wise.

A Rush wrote:BTW if Kobe wasn't on the squad, I'd keep Carmelo. Having Kobe there eliminates any need for Melo since the two play similar style basketball. Ball movement tends to stop with Kobe as well but since Kobe is the better player of the two, Melo is the odd man out. If you have too many players like Kobe and Carmelo on the team, you won't get anywhere in international competition.

A Rush wrote:Carmelo played international ball before. He shot well but otherwise, he was one of those who shot his team in the foot by not moving the ball and looked totally inept facing the zone (hell, he looked totally inept facing the USA zone which was pretty substandard). Too bad all fans today see and admire is scoring. Subtleties of the game which usually determine the outcome just fly over most fans' heads. Just flash no substance.

A Rush wrote:In general though, Carmelo Anthony is one of the most overrated superstars in quite some time. That guy will never win anything on the NBA level, no matter who his teammates are.

A Rush wrote:
melo061 wrote:
A Rush wrote:In general though, Carmelo Anthony is one of the most overrated superstars in quite some time. That guy will never win anything on the NBA level, no matter who his teammates are.

Quoted for future reference.

Please do. It'll be nice to have on record at least one of the rare quotes of mine which will be proven right.

:man10: My favorite is the last one where melo061 said 'quoted for future reference', couldn't have been more prophetic.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Good find! LOL ^
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerskobe247 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:29 pm

Actually he is kinda right as Melo does stop ball movement and is not needed. But it is a nice addition as it allows Kobe to spend 100% energy on defense.
http://www.youtube.com/LakersRule24
Visit, comment, and subscribe to the #1 Kobe Bryant Game Archive on the net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U616sib8v-Y
Kobe Bryant Clutch Compilation: Game Winners as of 2009
lakerskobe247

Postby Weezy on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:33 pm

lakerskobe247 wrote:Actually he is kinda right as Melo does stop ball movement and is not needed. But it is a nice addition as it allows Kobe to spend 100% energy on defense.

He stops ball movement? How, by scoring every time he takes a shot? Isn't that the point? He's not needed? He was our top scorer, we don't need that? :man3:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:52 pm

GCMD wrote:Melo is actually the second best player on Team USA. He doesn't have the most physical tools but he has the most fumdamentals of any player on that team NOT named Kobe Bryant or Jason Kidd...

Guys with most fundamentals are somehow not praised enough. *See Duncan.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Klewfish on Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:01 pm

I still think Bosh will be more useful than Chandler, and possibly even Stoudemire. Did he get cut, or is he injured?
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Klewfish
ClubNetsHoops.com Administrator

Postby Godfather on Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:19 pm

Klewfish wrote:I still think Bosh will be more useful than Chandler, and possibly even Stoudemire. Did he get cut, or is he injured?

Injured. Plantar fascitis or something like that.
Godfather

Postby scarface223 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:30 pm

It's up to Flash and Bron to learn from Melo to consistently hit that 20fter!
scarface223

Postby Juronimo on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:01 am

Weezy wrote:
lakerskobe247 wrote:Actually he is kinda right as Melo does stop ball movement and is not needed. But it is a nice addition as it allows Kobe to spend 100% energy on defense.

He stops ball movement? How, by scoring every time he takes a shot? Isn't that the point? He's not needed? He was our top scorer, we don't need that? :man3:

For real though.

It's nice to see that people think that Team USA's best scorer is not needed.

*shakes head*

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Next

Return to Team USA