Odom Is Waiting on Olympics

Odom Is Waiting on Olympics

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:20 am

LA Times
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY — Some of the big names have already RSVP'd to the party, but Lamar Odom continues to wait for the invitation.

Kobe Bryant has already committed to the cause, as has Boston Celtic All-Star Paul Pierce, but Odom hasn't been asked to play for the U.S. in the 2008 Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT
A member of the U.S. basketball team in 2004, Odom will meet with Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo when the Lakers play Jan. 20 in Phoenix, Odom said.

"He said he'd rather talk face-to-face than over the phone," Odom said.

Colangelo has aggressively courted several perennial All-Stars because he is requiring a stronger commitment than in recent years. Team members could be asked to play over the summer in the 2006 World Championship and perhaps a zone qualifying tournament next year.

The increased dedication stems from the U.S. taking only a bronze in Athens after losing to Argentina in the semifinals.

"I think we had our chests out a little bit too much, like we thought we couldn't lose," Odom said.

One of three U.S. players to score in double figures in all three medal-round games, Odom wants another chance with Team USA.

"I hope so," he said.

Laker draft pick Ronny Turiaf, averaging 9.3 points and 5.3 rebounds for the CBA's Yakima (Wash.) Sun Kings, needs a little more seasoning before the Lakers consider signing him, Coach Phil Jackson said.

"He's not going to be in shape to play [NBA] basketball yet for a while," Jackson said. "It's a matter of giving it time."

Turiaf was drafted 37th by the Lakers in June and underwent open-heart surgery a month later to repair an enlarged aortic root.

The Lakers' other second-round pick, Von Wafer, set a couple of career highs Tuesday against Utah.

He had nine points in 17 minutes, making three of nine shots and taking two rebounds. He muffed a dunk attempt in the second quarter, the ball slipping out of his hands and feathering under the rim.

"I was a little bit too excited," he said. "I need to calm down a little bit."
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby nimannn on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:23 am

Hopefully he goes, I would like to see him and Kobe there. For those of you who like to make fun of Odom, know this, Odom was the THIRD best player on the 2004 Olympic team behind Duncan and Iverson. He was one of the only bright spots on that team. His style fit well in international play because he's big enough to play he center position. He was a shot blocking beast in the games. I'm pretty sure he'll get an invite.
nimannn

Postby GuRu on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:03 am

He did well last time but Id be surprised to see him there next time.

Apparently the US may have finally got their act together and are going to truly send their best. If thats the case, than Odom has no chance. There is AT LEAST 30 players Id send beofre him in an instant.
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby nimannn on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:21 am

GuRu wrote:He did well last time but Id be surprised to see him there next time.

Apparently the US may have finally got their act together and are going to truly send their best. If thats the case, than Odom has no chance. There is AT LEAST 30 players Id send beofre him in an instant.

US sending their best was never a problem, it was if the US's best were willing to go that was the problem which they didn't last time and aren't going to this time. Just take a look at this link:

http://hoopshype.com/usa_basketball.htm

LeBron, KG, Duncan, Ray Allen, T-Mac, JJ, J O'Neal, Carter, Ben Wallace, and Shaq are all probably not going to go.

Now let's look at all the PF/C that are interested in going:

Odom, Bosh, Camby, Dwight Howard, Brad Miller, and Amare.

The competition isn't that hard and Odom deserves to go after his last performance. Amare was on the 2004 team as well and he was a SCRUB. He literally couldn't do anything because the only skill he possessed is dunking. He was useless in the international game. They have to take Odom, they owe it to him.
nimannn

Postby wavy on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:29 am

well he could be a fit in the "dream team" last time he played he had some spectacular games and great defense to bad the teams offense sucked.
wavy

Postby GuRu on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:37 am

I think you'll see some of the more prominent players pressured into competing.

What do they get? 12 guys? 15?

Im not sure....
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby extreme on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:43 am

Odom was called up last time because KG, Duncan, Jermaine, Shaq, ... didn't go, that was the only reason he got in the team :mhihi:
extreme
ClubLakers Rep: Belgium

Postby dugdug on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:08 am

hmm odom...
nawww
dugdug

Postby KB24 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:55 am

extreme wrote:Odom was called up last time because KG, Duncan, Jermaine, Shaq, ... didn't go, that was the only reason he got in the team :mhihi:

Duncan did go. Jermaine was injured. Fat Albert is too old and KG has banged up body so he rather rests in sommer.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby magicman32 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:07 am

I doubt LO will even be a Laker in 2008, although I hope he is

Team USA needs a selfless player like him
magicman32

Postby Crono0801 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:29 am

I really want him to go. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
RIP Daniel RIP Ana RIP Tom

The Greatest Game of All time
Crono0801
Good Call Stats Team

Postby nameant on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:41 am

LO might not be a "superstar" but he deserves to go. he was great on the last team USA. he's a great utility guy. he can do a little of everything and doesnt need to score to be effective.
nameant

Postby MarkMadsen on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:04 am

i didnt feel we lost last olympics cause of the lack of talent. I thought we lost cause:

1. The team was formed about a month prior. No preperation whatso ever. Alot of players who were sketched to participate, dropped out. That might of worked back then when the rest of the world sucked at basketball, but not now. Preperation is everything.

2. Larry Brown wasnt the right coach. He wanted them to learn a system that took more than a month to even digest. He didnt let the team have fun or play what thier capable of. Everytime Lebron or Wade even dunked the ball, Larry Brown put him on the bench like they commited some sort of crime.

As for Lamar Odom. If he really wants to play then they should let him. He was awseome last time. He really wants to commit to it so why not? It would be a good thing for Kobe and Odom. Grow a bigger bond during the long trips.
MarkMadsen

Postby UCLAeightCLAP on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:28 am

sure odom played well last olympics, but i don't think he'll get on the team unless the true top tier players decline again (and i don't think they will now that the US has to re-establish itself atop the world in basketball).
I NEED EVERY MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD ON YOUR FEET FOR AN EIGHT CLAP....
11 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPS: 1964 1965 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1975 1995
UCLAeightCLAP

Postby RoadRunner on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:34 am

Lamar needs to be more consistent and concentrate on his job first before he decides to go anywhere, He should just keep playing hard and if the opportunity comes then fine, but don’t go out trying to get another job while your team is struggling at the one your at now.
RoadRunner

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:18 pm

Unless one of the original players on the short list gets hurt or can't go for some reason, I don't see them adding Odom to the mix.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Maverick on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:20 pm

keep waiting.............
Maverick

Postby Triumph Jelani on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:26 pm

LO possess some useful tools that can help bring home the gold. Just dont put him on the floor with Kobe.
Triumph Jelani

Postby magicsson on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:07 pm

Odom is an all star...he's just not a primary scorer. It's hard to pigeonhole him into one category, which I think frustrates a lot of fans and NBA executives.

But when Phil Jackson says that Lamar is one of the untouchables of this team as far as trades go, he is one of the best judges of talent and potential. Nuff said. Sign him up for China in '08.
magicsson

Postby KB24 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:55 pm

I want Lamar on that team. He has enaugh scorers around him and can set them up with the best of em. I would very welcome that and IMO he is a GREAT fit.
Imagine Kobe, Arenas, James, Amare and Jermaine on the floor. They are all number 1 options and IMO you also need players that can contribute without scoring and Lamar is just a perfect fit.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby LO7cK35 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:42 pm

KB8@CL Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want Lamar on that team. He has enaugh scorers around him and can set them up with the best of em. I would very welcome that and IMO he is a GREAT fit.
Imagine Kobe, Arenas, James, Amare and Jermaine on the floor. They are all number 1 options and IMO you also need players that can contribute without scoring and Lamar is just a perfect fit.
[quote]

I agree 100% with KB8..with all the scorers already going be on the team odom is a great fit for this team because he would easily be able to set them up and if they sleep on odom he can go to work downlow himself.. without odom's play last olympics the team probably owuldnt even have gotten that bronze.. odom definetly deserves a chance to go back and get that gold
LO7cK35

Postby COBRAKOBE on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:08 pm

RoadRunner wrote:Lamar needs to be more consistent and concentrate on his job first before he decides to go anywhere, He should just keep playing hard and if the opportunity comes then fine, but don’t go out trying to get another job while your team is struggling at the one your at now.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
COBRAKOBE

Postby strikemode14 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:13 pm

I think Odom should be on the team. On a team of superstars it's good to have a guy who has alot of talent but, isn't looking to take shots away from the other guys. Odom likes to be a playmaker, likes to bring the ball up the court, and will rebound really well. Plus he is a defense's nightmare.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby 4 Pointer on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:00 pm

Colangelo, named head of USA Basketball after the team's poor performances at the 2002 worlds and 2004 Olympics, has made it clear that the U.S. team would not be a collection of superstars hastily put together.

Instead, he wants a group, including role players, that would make a three-year commitment to participate in the camps and form a cohesive team for the worlds this year in Japan and the Olympics in Beijing.
4 Pointer

Postby Heavier Than Heaven on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:10 pm

I Hope That Odom Get Asked To Play So Koeb And Odom Can Skool All Those Other Teams That Think They Can Play! :bow:

LAKERS RULE!
BUCK FOSTON

Thanks to Mookie for Avy!
Heavier Than Heaven

Next

Return to Team USA