Red, White, and Blue for Redd

Red, White, and Blue for Redd

Postby JSM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:14 pm

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Michael Redd is gearing up for a busy summer as he trades his Milwaukee Bucks jersey for the red, white and blue of Team USA.

Redd will take part in a team mini-camp from July 20-22 in Las Vegas, where a 12-player U.S. roster will be chosen for the FIBA Americas Championship, scheduled from Aug. 22-Sept. 2 in Las Vegas.

"It's a great opportunity, and I'm just trying to enjoy it," Redd said Friday in a phone interview from his home in Columbus, Ohio. "I'll just do what I do, play my normal game."

Redd did not play in the World Championship last summer in Japan, after he was granted a waiver for his August wedding. National Basketball Association stars Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers and Chauncey Billups of the Detroit Pistons also did not play for the U.S. last summer but will be in the mix this time.

LeBron James, currently leading the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals and a key member of the U.S. squad in 2006, has said he is uncertain if he will play this summer. Several other players are sidelined by injuries, including Miami's Dwyane Wade and New Orleans' Chris Paul, and definitely are out.

Eight players were added to the preliminary roster last month, including point guard Jason Kidd of New Jersey, forward Tayshaun Prince of Detroit, center Tyson Chandler of New Orleans, guard Mike Miller of Memphis and forward Carlos Boozer and point guard Deron Williams of Utah. College stars Greg Oden and Kevin Durant, expected to be the top two picks in the NBA draft, also were invited.

"It will be a great experience for them, to get a taste of what the NBA is like," Redd said of the two young stars.

Redd's outside shooting ability could be a great asset in international play, and it was one of the reasons he was selected by senior national team managing director Jerry Colangelo.

"I'm honored to be there," Redd said of representing the U.S. again and having a chance to be an Olympian in 2008. "I'm not worried (about the U.S. qualifying). It's a great chance to stay in shape and represent our country."

The U.S. squad will train from Aug. 13-21 in Las Vegas, before the FIBA Americas tournament begins. The U.S. will play in Group B along with Venezuela, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and Brazil. In Group A are Argentina, Mexico, Uruguay, Panama and Puerto Rico.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Radner on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:30 pm

Something we missed in Japan.....good outside shooting. Ray Allen + Michael Redd will be amazing along with Kobe, Kidd, and Billups.

I can't wait till 2008.
Radner

Return to Team USA