Should NBA players boycott Beijing 2008 Olympics?

Should NBA players boycott Beijing 2008 Olympics?

Postby Dejaman on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:47 pm

At this moment, a boycott of the Beijing Olympics would seem pretty unlikely. It took a Soviet invasion of Afghanistan for the U.S. and other countries to boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympics. (The Soviets repaid the favor in 1984, staying home from the Los Angeles games.)

On the other hand, a lot of people around the world harbor feelings of discomfort toward the newly muscular China. An interesting article by Howard Beck in today’s New York Times tells of Cleveland Cavaliers’ reserve Ira Newble, who read an article in USA Today about the violence and death in Darfur and decided to take action:

The result is a letter, signed by Newble and most of his teammates and released last week, that takes aim at China, which supplies the Sudanese government with money and weapons. China, in turn, is a major importer of Sudan’s oil.The letter reads in part, “We, as basketball players in the N.B.A. and as potential athletes in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, cannot look on with indifference to the massive human suffering and destruction that continue in the Darfur region of Sudan.” It concludes with a plea to the Chinese government “to use all available diplomatic resources and economic pressure to end the agony of Darfur, and to secure access for U.N. peace support personnel.”

I am guessing that Newble, who averages 3 points a game, isn’t even a candidate for the U.S. Olympic basketball team. And the letter of protest wasn’t signed by Newble’s famous Cavs teammate LeBron James — who, along with the N.B.A. itself, has business interests in China. (That’s why, if you remember, James is studying Mandarin.)

Still, the Beijing Olympics are more than a year away, which is a long, long time. (Just ask Obama/ Romney/ Clinton/ Giuliani/ Edwards/ McCain et al). There is a lot of anti-China noise in a lot of quarters, and if Newble’s earnest protest somehow catches fire among some N.B.A. players who do have the juice with the U.S. basketball team, then anything might happen.

source:
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... -olympics/
Thank God for Historically Black Colleges. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ybU5Zn5TA

Van Jones Is Right
Dejaman

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:54 pm

The NBA will not boycott China because of the huge potential revenue.

Plus, I hate Ira Newble. Remember this guy? :bang:
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:58 pm

the NBA cant say no to 1.5 billion consumers
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Satan on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:12 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Ira Newble mysteriously disappears very soon.

Emperor Stern will not appreciate some scrub coming between him and all those consumers with growing spending power. There is no way in hell the NBA would boycott the games without the entire US Olympic squad also doing so.

China may do rotten evil things but they also do lots of business with us and most of our biggest companies have their manufacturing located there. As always here, $$$ triumphs over morals.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:14 pm

who says China's got NEW muscle???

but Stern has been in bed with C$hina for a while now...
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Kingsama on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Perhaps if the Olympics were held in a truly evil country like Cuba then there would be a boycott, but since it is in the profitable....errrr I mean friendly compassionate China I see no need to boycott...

/satire
Kingsama

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:16 pm

Kingsama wrote:Perhaps if the Olympics were held in a truly evil country like USA then there would be a boycott, but since it is in the profitable....errrr I mean friendly compassionate China I see no need to boycott...

/satire

fixed :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:34 pm

He's going to get the Jack Bauer treatment. He is going to be at practice, get a mysterious call from one of his sisters (he doesn't have any daughters, I checked), he will go to answer the phone, no one will be on the other end of the call, and several members of the Chinese government will overtake him while wearing ski masks. He will wake up in a ship and will be face to face with Cheng. Then he will spend the next year 1/2 in a Chinese prison.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby John3:16 on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:29 pm

In my best Michael Jordan voice: "Boycott the Olympics in China? Why? Don't they buy Nikes ?"
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby strikemode14 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:31 am

Is he serious?

No way the U.S is boycotting this thing. The president of the U.S would have a very stern (pardon the phrase) talking to with David Stern which would be fining guys left and right if that happen.

Stern has a few billion customers in China and the U.S and China are each others best customers.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby Satan on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:52 am

Actually strike, Europe has passed the US as China's biggest customer. We're becoming increasingly less necessary to the rest of the world and they couldn't be happier about it. Wait until more people are trading oil and keeping reserve currency in Euros instead of dollars...
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:08 pm

Satan wrote:Actually strike, Europe has passed the US as China's biggest customer. We're becoming increasingly less necessary to the rest of the world and they couldn't be happier about it. Wait until more people are trading oil and keeping reserve currency in Euros instead of dollars...

The we'll just have to conquer some more middle-eastern oil countries, won't we?

Btw, can you make you sig a little smaller? I think the picture that you have, while I love it, is too big.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Return to Team USA