Since Kobe is out Wade should be Leader of USA???

Postby BGil on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:59 am

The article is also wrong. Wade played like crap in the last olympics too. Melo looked like a superstar on offense because of his jumper but Wade and Lebron looked like crap... Wade's help D was nice th9ough. He had a few crazy blocks.
BGil

Postby lakerzkb8 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:32 am

i think a veteran should be labelled as the "Captain"
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby lakerzkb8 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:34 am

BGil wrote:The article is also wrong. Wade played like crap in the last olympics too. Melo looked like a superstar on offense because of his jumper but Wade and Lebron looked like crap... Wade's help D was nice th9ough. He had a few crazy blocks.

i hate to admit it but wade played GOOD in the olympics. Melo was benched pretty much the whole olympics and Lebron played in spurts, he was hot for like 2 min stretches then MIA the rest of the game. Wade was clearly the best young gun on the team.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby ic144 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:39 am

Lebron is the leader, if not Kobe. Period.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan
ic144

Postby BGil on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:59 pm

lakerzkb8 wrote:
BGil wrote:The article is also wrong. Wade played like crap in the last olympics too. Melo looked like a superstar on offense because of his jumper but Wade and Lebron looked like crap... Wade's help D was nice th9ough. He had a few crazy blocks.

i hate to admit it but wade played GOOD in the olympics. Melo was benched pretty much the whole olympics and Lebron played in spurts, he was hot for like 2 min stretches then MIA the rest of the game. Wade was clearly the best young gun on the team.

http://www.usabasketball.com/history/moly_2004.html

I guess my memory was a little faulty. Wade played like crap but Melo was even worse. Lebron shot 59% though!!!!!!!!
BGil

Postby dragonkune on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Kobe would easily make the best leader on the USA squad because of his familiarity with the international game as a child, championship level experience, and downright killer instinct. But if they are looking for someone else to step up to the plate while Kobe heals then Wade would be a good choice. He's a natural leader and just recently won the NBA championship as the focal point of the team. He's no Kobe Bryant but that shouldn't take away from the fact that he's such an incredible player.

With that said... The leader of the team might not even be Lebron or Wade. It could be possible that some veteran player becomes the glue that keeps the team together.
dragonkune

Postby Lal-mtl on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:12 pm

jjin28 wrote:While kobe is out, Brand should lead.

You mean a VOCAL leader? :man1:
-----------------------------------------
1. "RESIGN" (to quit, leave office, etc.) is not = "RE-SIGN"
2. "SHOULD' VE" (should HAVE) is not= "SHOULD OFF"
- same goes for would've, could've, etc.
Lal-mtl

Postby OCHO on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:15 am

BGil wrote:Wade is going to play like crap in the international games. A lot of people don't understand that the FIBA ball is 30.7 inches and the NBA ball is 29.8 inches. It makes a huge difference in your shooting ability. That's why the last olympic squad couldn't hit any outside shots despite being all-star and why foriegn players can all shoot pretty well when they get to the NBA.

Wade still can't shoot and he'll be just as useless as AI was in the 2004. The ball is harder to handle quickly and harder too shoot. The teams play zone all day and no one is going to be able to slash. Wade is going to play like crap.

they're using the molten ball in practice.. which is used in international games..
It's the length of one day.. One half.. One shot clock.. This number is my promise, to dominate every moment..
OCHO

Postby jUsh on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:02 am

I strongly believe while Kobe is recovering he should still be considered the “leader” of the team. He should place himself on the bench, although not as a player but possibly as an assistant coach or a similar position. He could use Lamar Odom to voice out his plays, ideas, and etc. I’m guessing that while Lamar is in the game he most likely will handle the ball, something similar to the role he played in the Lakers last season. I don’t feel that LeBron or Wade should lead while in Kobe’s absents. If TeamUSA does well in these games, they might not “hand-over” the leadership role to Kobe in 2008.

“The team did well under “my” leadership.”

That’s the last thing this team needs, a power struggle. I’m sure all of us here in Los Angeles has “been there and done that, and don’t want to see it again.”

Yes, I know, what about the “go-to” person? Who will we give the ball to when we’re down by 10 and need the “killer instinct,” or to “take over a game?” I strongly believe that should be Elton Brand. His shot from mid-range is automatic; give him the ball in the low post and let him work his magic, it’s beautiful. In the last Olympics our greatest weakness was a shooter. We had a lot of great individual players, but their “go-to” shot (or moves) were lay-ups or dunks, and with the restricted area taken away it was hard for them to stay out of foul trouble (remember Duncan?). Wade and LeBron are great scorers but I don’t trust their shot, not now anyway. Give them a few more years to improve on their shots – yes, I’ll trust it then. As of right now, their shots are questionable. Give them the ball and if they aren’t making a dunk or a lay up, I’d hold my breath until it goes through the net.

Last year, I trusted Kobe’s shot, give him the ball mid-range, I can guarantee it’ll go in. We need someone who can do that for us while Kobe is healing. Who has the best shot right now on the team, Elton Brand. He’s a humble player; I like how he keeps his composure and doesn’t go all “gangsta” after a spectacular play. But if needed, he’ll score with aggression.

Of course with a team of All-Stars it would be near impossible to determine who the ball goes to in crucial moments. I just hope the players will do what’s best for the team and not for themselves.

Just my opinion.
jUsh

Previous

Return to Team USA