U.S. to skip basketball tryouts, name team before camp

U.S. to skip basketball tryouts, name team before camp

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:22 pm

ESPN: So much for the training camp competition for the final spots on the Olympic team. The United States will pick its squad without a tryout.

The Americans have changed their plans and will select the 12 players headed to Beijing before they report to Las Vegas later this month. Originally, the team was to have potentially 16 players in camp and cut down to 12 on June 30.

"The staff really is more interested in getting down so that they can get to work in terms of preparation. We have switched our thinking," USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

"Our plan is to go ahead and announce our team sometime before we get to Las Vegas."

Colangelo said the announcement likely would come after the NBA Finals end. The Americans are to begin workouts on the UNLV campus June 28.

There are more than 30 players in the national team program, but Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski are down to about their top 14. They will decide on the final two spots, probably at point guard and power forward, in the coming days.

With the team's minicamp expected to last only two days, Krzyzewski told Colangelo there wasn't enough time to make cuts, and asked to bring in just the Beijing-bound players so they could focus on the summer ahead.

"That's basically a plan rather than a tryout of 16 or 15 or whatever the number might have been. We've got a pretty good handle on the 13, 14 names, and it's more about preparation," Colangelo said. "They want to get on with it."

Colangelo will get to work on one decision shortly, flying to Chicago to check on Dwyane Wade, who has been working out after missing the final 21 games this season because of chronic soreness in his surgically repaired left knee. Wade likely will get a spot if he's healthy, but Colangelo wants to get a "real read" on the Heat guard's rehab.

While there, Colangelo also will get a look at Chris Paul, one of the players on the bubble, whom Wade has invited to work out with him. The New Orleans point guard, runner-up to Kobe Bryant in the MVP voting, might have to beat out Chauncey Billups, Deron Williams, and perhaps Wade for a spot.

There could be an opening in the frontcourt, where Amare Stoudemire might have talked himself off the team. The Phoenix Suns star said after his season ended that he needed to see how his body felt before deciding to play, and his indecision seems to have created some doubt in Colangelo's mind.

"Amare still may or may not be under consideration," Colangelo said. "We have decisions to make relative to Amare, and that works both ways."

Toronto's Chris Bosh, who played in the 2006 world championships but was injured last summer, and Utah's Carlos Boozer are the leading candidates to claim a forward spot.

Bryant, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Jason Kidd and Dwight Howard were the starters last year when the Americans went undefeated in the Olympic qualifying tournament. Stoudemire, Billups, Williams, Michael Redd, Tayshaun Prince, Tyson Chandler and Mike Miller also were on the team.

The deadline to submit the Olympic roster is July 1. The Americans will return to Las Vegas in mid-July to train and play an exhibition game against Canada before departing for China. They face the host Chinese in their Beijing opener on Aug. 10.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby gill on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:47 pm

They should pick Pierce and his wheelchair to guarantee a gold statue for best...

oh sorry... you meant gold "MEDALS" in the Olympics...
gill

Postby Ni9ne on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:08 am

C. D.Howard
PF. C.Bosh
SF. L.James
SG. K.Bryant
PG. C.Paul

:bow:
Ni9ne

Postby Lord Johnny on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 am

Ni9ne wrote:C. D.Howard
PF. C.Bosh
SF. L.James
SG. K.Bryant
PG. D.Williams

Lord Johnny
Clublakers Rep: Puerto Rico

Postby Iceberg Slim on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:22 am

Chris Paul on the bubble? :man3: He should be the 1st pick for point guard, no questions asked. In the second half of the season (including the playoffs), what player was better than him outside Kobe Bryant, let alone point gaurds?
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby Radner on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:00 am

As long as Miller and Redd make the team, I'll be happy. If Wade takes one of their spots, I'll be piss.

Iceberg Slim wrote:Chris Paul on the bubble? :man3: He should be the 1st pick for point guard, no questions asked. In the second half of the season (including the playoffs), what player was better than him outside Kobe Bryant, let alone point gaurds?

I agree. The only way Paul doesn't end up on the team is by his own will.
Radner

Postby extreme on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:14 am

Lord Johnny wrote:
PF. C.Bosh
SF. L.James
SG. K.Bryant
PG. D.Williams

I second that!

Difficult to decide Williams or Paul. I'm going with Deron here
extreme
ClubLakers Rep: Belgium

Postby jellyroll49 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:53 am

its a good thing im not picking the team cuz id leave kobe off, as much as i wanna see him get us gold. the fact of the matter is, kobe needs surgery on that pinkey. i dont wanna see him play more ball and go into next year drained. and did we forget about the groin tear from earlier this year? this has been a long and grueling year for kobe, but because of his pride and commitment, hes gonna ball til he falls.
"It's not even close," says one Western Conference scout. "The difference between Kobe and LeBron is like [the one between] a Maserati and a Volvo."

:pipe: = bud enhanced post
jellyroll49

Postby theinsanity on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 am

Love Chris Paul, but I'll take Williams over him on the US team. He's a better defender and shooter without giving up too much in the passing department. Paul is the better franchise player who you can run your offense through, but on a team with guys like Lebron and Kobe, I think Deron is the better fit.
theinsanity

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:49 am

paul needs to be on and wade off. wade's game is a poor fit internationally (they don't have nba refs).
abeer3

Postby TIME on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am

abeer3 wrote:paul needs to be on and wade off. wade's game is a poor fit internationally (they don't have nba refs).

Wade has no outside shot which is big in the Olympics.

It would be a shame if either Chris Paul or Deron Williams were left off the team.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Try this?

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:23 am

I guess Gilbert Arenas would not have to worry about being used as a "practice" player. That and not having any target coaches for motivation for cutting him next season. LOL!

:man1: :man12: :mhihi:
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Booster on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:04 pm

PF. C.Bosh
SF. L.James
SG. K.Bryant
PG. C.Paul

Bosh? Nah, he's certainly not the best PF we could get. I'd even take Amare over him.
Booster

Postby Klewfish on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Booster wrote:
PF. C.Bosh
SF. L.James
SG. K.Bryant
PG. C.Paul

Bosh? Nah, he's certainly not the best PF we could get. I'd even take Amare over him.

He did very well in the international game. Tough and quick is hard to defend.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Klewfish
ClubNetsHoops.com Administrator

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:26 pm

I wonder why they would even need Wade. He's coming off of an injury, and a terrible season. And on the other hand, we have CP3, the runner up MVP candidate and probably the best PG in the league today.

Ummm...I hope Wade sits his butt at home and watches his own T-Mobile and G2 commercials during the Olympics. I'm sure his sponsors are working overtime to get Wade on the team though.

We need shooters, not Wade.
jimbo327

Postby whatisit on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:50 pm

Klewfish wrote:
Booster wrote:
PF. C.Bosh
SF. L.James
SG. K.Bryant
PG. C.Paul

He did very well in the international game. Tough and quick is hard to defend.

and he can hit the international 3 pointer most likely. but why leave melo off teh lineup? he dominates these tournaments.
whatisit

Postby OCHO on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:31 pm

jimbo327 wrote:I wonder why they would even need Wade. He's coming off of an injury, and a terrible season. And on the other hand, we have CP3, the runner up MVP candidate and probably the best PG in the league today.

Ummm...I hope Wade sits his butt at home and watches his own T-Mobile and G2 commercials during the Olympics. I'm sure his sponsors are working overtime to get Wade on the team though.

We need shooters, not Wade.

marketing
It's the length of one day.. One half.. One shot clock.. This number is my promise, to dominate every moment..
OCHO

Postby suga on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:18 pm

extreme wrote:
Lord Johnny wrote:
PF. C.Bosh
SF. L.James
SG. K.Bryant
PG. D.Williams

I second that!

Difficult to decide Williams or Paul. I'm going with Deron here

It's easy. When your team has Kobe, Howard, James, you need Deron more than CP3. Deron has size, defense and 3-pointers.
suga

Postby png247 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:44 pm

theinsanity wrote:Love Chris Paul, but I'll take Williams over him on the US team. He's a better defender and shooter without giving up too much in the passing department. Paul is the better franchise player who you can run your offense through, but on a team with guys like Lebron and Kobe, I think Deron is the better fit.

pretty much.
png247

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm

looks like LO wont be making the reserves then
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Radner on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:09 pm

One Down, 11 to go

Jerry Colangelo has confirmed that Denver forward Carmelo Anthony will be part of Team USA when the Americans try to bring home the gold in Beijing later this year, the Rocky Mountain News is reporting.

"Yes, he will be," Colangelo said of Anthony, who played sparingly in the 2004 Olympics.
Radner

Postby karacha on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Of course Melo should play. He's perfect for the international game. So is Deron Williams. Wade, not so much, although having him can't hurt. But he's not absolutely necessary. Bosh is also a good choice. Then players like Redd and Miller. Be mobile, pass the ball, shoot. That's it. No one-on-one crap.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby fromwaydowntown on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:19 am

I don't understand how USA basketball still counts on coach K for this job. He has done a terrible job as head coach of the US national team, and has failed the 2 times he has been in international competition. I sincerely thought he was out. I don't get it. Just the other day I was talking to a colleague and we were mentioning how bad coach K was with the US team, just reminiscing about his horrible coaching in the Greece game in 2006 in Japan. I am not from the US, so it is good for me, but if I were, I would want to hit someone from the USA Basketball organization.
fromwaydowntown

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:58 am

I hope Kobe makes it.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Radner on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:39 am

Billups may not make the team. His playoff performance probably influenced that.

Pistons' guard Chauncey Billups may be the odd guard out when it comes time to finalizing the US Olympic squad, Chris McCosky of the Detroit News is reporting.

With Carmelo Anthony's spot already confirmed, Dwyane Wade providing Jerry Colangelo with a private workout which left Colangelo impressed, and Jason Kidd expected to be team's starting point guard, it is believed that Billups will fight with Chris Paul and Deron Williams for a place on the team.

"I haven't seen Chauncey lately," Colangelo told the Rocky Mountain News. "He's one of the players we're considering."

If Wade is on the team, then it's not likely Colangelo will keep three point guards.
Radner

Next

Return to Team USA