Stern wants to make Olympics 23yrs old & Under.

Stern wants to make Olympics 23yrs old & Under.

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:59 am

Colangelo Skeptical About Age Restriction On Olympics
Jul 09, 2012 10:36 AM EDT

David Stern has openly talked about his desire to make the Olympics a 23-and-under event.

"I think we got a lot out of the Olympics," Stern said ominously last month. "We helped grow the game. The result has been extraordinary. But I think it's appropriate to step back and take stock of where we're going."

USA Basketball is taking a wait and see approach to Stern’s proposal.

"I don't want to change anything, because I like what we have," chairman Jerry Colangelo said Sunday. "We take care of our players and I think we do the right things.

"You need a lot of things to fall into place in order for all of this [age restriction] to happen. You need the cooperation and the votes and support of a lot of people. So when I hear something like this, I say it may happen. The real question is when. Is it '16, is it 2020? Don't know at this point. It's a long way from the finish line."

Via Mike Bresnahan/Los Angeles Times

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222176/Colangelo_Skeptical_About_Age_Restriction_On_Olympics#ixzz209Yestt7

Not sure what the motivation is for this one... Maybe Stern just wants to give younger players some of the International spotlight... I say go with the best you got.

Edit: This article in the LA Times goes into a little more detail... Seems like the underlying theme is Greed, as always... http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usa-oly-basketball-20120709,0,5116457.story
LakerFanIam

Re: Stern wants to make Olympics 23yrs old & Under.

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Yeah saw this on Yahoo. Kind of BLOWS I think. Then we do that and the other countries don't and sooner or later the US gets their butts handed to them again. Then what? We have our chance every year but it's not a fair playing field with just us using that young of players, not fully "man muscled" up yet.
LTLakerFan

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 pm

To me, the biggest statement is that by Cuban..

"If you look up 'stupid' in the dictionary, you see a picture of the USA Dream Team playing for free for corporate America so the U.S. Olympic Committee can make billions of dollars."

So their plan is to have a "World Cup" style international tournament during the years in between the Olympics??? You mean like FIBA?

Instead of looking at all of the money they're losing, why not focus on the global exposure the NBA gets by sending it's best athletes to the olympics & the revenue that generates for the league...
LakerFanIam

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Cuban is a businessman and all he wants is a cut of the Olympic money. Stern is a jack*** and he should butt out. We did this dance already and when we instituted our professionals we rocked the basketball world. The world has since caught up by far and the competition is fun to watch.

Why would we limit ourselves? So that other countries have a chance to win? I don't understand what possible motivation there could be here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Age Limit

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Just raise the draft age to 23 and only allow college kids to play during the Olympics.
JUST-MING

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:41 pm

He needs to GTFO of there. Longer he stays the more he's inclined to eff with things. Like the taking the ball off the rim he wants to put in NBA rules like Europe. I absolutely HATE that. Changes the fabric of the game and not for the better IMO. Emphasises skill and soft touch even less. :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
LTLakerFan

Postby 432J on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 am

god i cannot stand stern. whenever his days as commisioner are over (hopefully soon) i will be celebrating
432J

Re: Age Limit

Postby Murdock on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:17 am

JUST-MING wrote:Just raise the draft age to 23 and only allow college kids to play during the Olympics.

yes and the US gets destroyed ...
Murdock

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm

As far as I can tell, the NBA players who are participating legitimately want to do it... They're honored to do it.

The NBA does not own these guys... It's just greed.
LakerFanIam

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:32 pm

LONDON – The most incredible part of the debate about the NBA's desire to run its superstars out of the Olympics is simple: The players can stop it. They're left to believe that they're without voices on the matter, that they're at the mercy of the commissioner, owners and FIBA conspiring to redirect all those Olympic revenues and control into the rebranded world championships.
While the NBA and FIBA work together to sell TV networks and sponsors on the prospect of a tournament with the best basketball players in the world, the stars can complicate the dynamics of a deal with a unified declaration: Push for an under-23 basketball tournament in the Olympics, and we won't be representing the United States in a new World Cup tournament.
NBA superstars subsidize the sport in a way that doesn't exist in the NFL or Major League Baseball – nowhere else. And the stars most responsible for selling the sport's appeal are getting freedom and finances squeezed in unprecedented ways. Owners have restricted freedom of movement in the NBA with salary-cap and sign-and-trade restrictions. Now, they're determined to also do it globally.
"The players definitely have power, because we're the ones out there playing," Team USA's Tyson Chandler told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday. "If the players chose not to play because they've taken something away from us, then obviously we control it."
Chandler is 31, and this won't be his fight for the future. Unless the players unite, make a stand and stop the NBA's imperialistic designs, they're going to get trampled the way they always do. That's an indisputable fact. As much as any sport, NBA stars drive everything: The TV ratings, sponsorships, ticket sales, merchandizing; everything. It's true in the United States, and far more true overseas where the inclusion of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James – and the next generation – has the power to turn a niche international basketball tournament into a global happening.
The solution is simple here, but there's a reason the players have been left drifting on the issue, uniformed and unaware of the NBA's behind-the-scenes machinations to move a plan with FIBA into motion: Players Association executive director Billy Hunter is too weakened, too distracted to engage the issue. For months, Hunter has been hell-bent on burning through the NBPA's coffers to bankroll lawyers to try and protect himself in a joint probe into the union's business practices by the U.S. Attorney's Office and Department of Labor. The players' interests are barely on his radar because he's in complete self-preservation mode.
The investigators have seized union records and emails, sources say, and interviewed numerous staff employees on how the union does business under Hunter – and who and what entities benefit financially. The NBPA has been torn into two distinct groups – Hunter, family members and fierce staff loyalists against everyone else – and rest assured: When this is over, the only guaranteed losers are the NBA's players. Hunter isn't defending them now, he's defending himself. And the cost – in wasted money, resources and manpower – will be steep.
Hunter has limited his exposure to players in team meetings this spring, especially after a rude reception with the Brooklyn Nets late in the season. He canceled the Players Association's summer meeting. Hunter has never been less popular with the superstars, and he knows it. The owners figured something out: The players are disorganized, vulnerable and easy prey to be overpowered with a FIBA-NBA partnership forged without regard for the players.
"As we go down that road, I know we're going to push for letting us have the choice whether we want to play in the Olympics or not – no matter the age," Kevin Love told Yahoo! Sports. Yet once that age rule changes in the Olympics, they're all out of it, and make no mistake: The players should be downright angry over this.
After all, everything the owners have jammed down the players' throats under Hunter's regime has limited the earnings and freedom of the league's superstars. When asked about the need for Hunter to make a stand on the players' position – which is overwhelmingly to keep the summer Olympics as the pinnacle international tournament – several players insisted that they hadn't given much thought to the idea that Hunter should be involved.
It is impossible for NBA players to take a strong stand – never mind insist they won't represent the United States in a tournament as protest – without getting crushed in the public eye. That's why Hunter is paid nearly $3 million a year – to make the case for them, and make it with complete resolute. "Anyone who has anything to do with it needs to step up and speak about it, because I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Chandler said. "That means one player would be able to come back and play for the Olympics on the squad."
Why the owners want to push FIBA to turn the Olympics into an irrelevant under-23 tournament and ship the stars over to a different two-year cycle in the world championships is understandable, but short-sighted. The World Cup of Basketball won't come close to matching soccer, because nationalistic allegiances are far, far more fervent to soccer teams. The Olympics frame NBA stars as global icons in a way nothing else could, but most NBA owners don't think that benefits them in such a tangible way and want a clear revenue stream flowing through a partnership with FIBA.
Some want even more. "The question is: Why would we partner with a current tournament rather than start our own?" Mavericks owner Mark Cuban told Yahoo! Sports in June. "If done correctly, it can be NBA-owned and operated and have the potential to be just as large as the World Cup of soccer. That is a product, in my opinion, we want to own, not share."
As the Olympics unfold, Stern has backtracked a little, insisting there's no rush to make a decision, no timetable, and that's nonsense. This process has been underway, and there's no one within the NBA, USA Basketball or the global basketball community who doesn't believe that Stern's and the owners' minds have long been made up: They're abandoning the grandeur of the Olympics for a cash grab with a splashy new World Cup of Basketball.
They have big ideas, and big dollars dancing in their eyes. The superstars despise the plan and need to get organized, get a course of action and get moving fast. They've paid Billy Hunter tens of millions of dollars to represent them, to be the voice, the leader, and he's been nowhere near his star players and nowhere on this issue. David Stern is coming and everyone's just left to wonder: Will the players really fold and let the league do this to them again?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--nba-stars-have-no-voice-in-fight-to-preserve-olympic-basketball-format.html

Great read by Woj.

I don't get that. A World Cup of Basketball will never be as big of a deal as the soccer World Cup anyway. Only the Olympics do really matter internationally in Basketball. I really hope that doesn't get through ...
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:47 am

I hope the stars of the NBA do band together to give Stern a big bleep you! And refuse to go along with that. Hunter is corrupt and useless at this point, spending lots and lots of the Union's money to defend how he has handled his affairs as president and all the nepotism.
LTLakerFan

Postby Jigglin Jello on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:39 pm

I agree with Cuban, "If you look up 'stupid' in the dictionary, you see a picture of the USA Dream Team playing for free for corporate America so the U.S. Olympic Committee can make billions of dollars." Olympics are just about corporate sponsors and the Olympic Committee cashing in. Only reason I care at all is because of the NBA players.
“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
― Charles Bukowski
Jigglin Jello

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:48 am

The NBA dictatorship is a joke including the "wait it didn't happen for my team so i don't agree" Mark Cuban.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm surprised Kobe hasn't been fined yet.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 am

Stern and the owners do not want to subsidize the Olympics by "loaning" out their best talent. And not make any profit from it. These owners are just getting greedy.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby kray28 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:27 am

Actually I would not be against making Team USA amateur only again...but that's up to the IOC, and not the NBA.
kray28

Postby dj vitus on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Don't they compete by age groups in gymnastics and ice skating?

If so, maybe they could split basketball into an under 23 tournament, and an over 23 tournament or something. Just a thought.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Umm....no
LTLakerFan

Postby Finwë on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Chris Sheridan ‏@sheridanhoops
BREAKING NEWS: FIBA tells Stern "NO!" on changing Olympics to 23-and-under: http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/08/17 ... -olympics/
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:00 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Here's just the 1st bit from that article. I thought Stern was just talking about US players. But actually he was trying to get every country to do same. GTFO!! That makes sense though if he's wanting to go for the money instead, as there's lots of foreign players in NBA now and other countries if not following same rule would start killing us again. Glad to see the cocky midget get stuffed!! :man10:

"FIBA has spoken.
And their message to NBA Commissioner David Stern is this: We’re not changing the Olympics, bub.
In an in-house interview with FIBA.com, secretary general Patrick Baumann took a strong stance against changing to a 23-and-under rule, which Stern and NBA owners are pushing for.
Baumann said such a change would actually give the United States an unfair advantage because of the advanced developmental system in the U.S. compared to other countries."
LTLakerFan

Return to Team USA