Team USA cold vs Youngsters

Team USA cold vs Youngsters

Postby westcoast21 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:27 pm

LAS VEGAS (AP) - It's a good thing Team USA wasn't playing Brazil or Argentina on Saturday.

The Americans had trouble shooting against zone defenses in splitting a four-quarter scrimmage with the U.S. select team, comprised of younger NBA players. The senior team won the first and second quarters and lost the third and fourth, the last in overtime.
"We're not shooting real well," coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

The Americans' inconsistent long-range shooting, a problem in last year's world championships, cropped up again. Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony each missed 3-pointers in the final 10 seconds of overtime.

Though it was only a scrimmage in a high school gym, the shooting woes brought back memories of last summer's world championships in Japan. The U.S. shot 32 percent from beyond the arc in losing to Greece in the semifinals — a defeat that forced them to play in the FIBA Americas qualifying tournament this summer.

But Krzyzewski warned against reading too much into Team USA's struggles four days before it opens the FIBA Americas. The U.S. needs to reach the finals to qualify for the 2008 Olympics.

"I don't think you make anything of any one thing," Krzyzewski said. "It's all a process.

"The main thing is, we're playing really good defense. We have really good players. And we're going to use those first few games in the tournament to develop a rotation."


On Saturday, the senior team started Bryant, Anthony, LeBron James, Amare Stoudemire and Jason Kidd. But Krzyzewski said that wouldn't necessarily be his starting five in the upcoming tournament.

"I think the three guys you could say would start every game would be Carmelo, Kobe and LeBron," Krzyzewski said. "And then we would look at other people. The main thing is just so they can develop a feel of playing with one another."

They looked out of sync late in the scrimmage, and for much of the overtime, against a fired-up select team that had given them little trouble earlier in training camp.

"The first two days, we were kind of like, 'We're supposed to lose,"' select team swingman Andre Iguodala said. "But I think after we lost, guys were pretty (ticked) off. That's a good sign.

"We want to win," he said. "We aren't here just to get beat up."

The senior team led 20-12 in the fourth quarter — each quarter starts 0-0 — when the starters returned with about six minutes to play. The select team whittled the lead and tied the game on Jason Kapono's 3 with 25 seconds to play.

The senior team failed to get off a shot at the other end, forcing overtime. The select squad dominated the overtime on its way to a 39-35 victory.

"That's what you want," select guard Aaron Brooks said. "You want to push them. It was intense out there. We didn't want to give up."

Had this been a real game, Krzyzewski likely would have sent in one of his top long-range shooters — Michael Redd or Mike Miller — in the final seconds. Instead, he stuck with his regulars.

"I might play pive minutes of how we play in a game and then put a whole different kind of unit in, and then guys are sitting for 10 minutes," he said. "It doesn't really simulate that."

But the intensity of play simulated international conditions. Late in the game, senior center Dwight Howard floored Kapono with a shot to the head, drawing an intentional foul.
"Everybody's competing," Kidd said. "Everybody wants to win. That's what's going to make us better."

Team USA formed the select team to train future senior team members and also to provide high-level competition for the senior team in training camp.

"We've got to push them," Iguodala said. "With us stealing two (quarters) against them, it's going to make them play even harder."

The Americans rarely have been pushed in FIBA Americas qualifiers, where they are 26-0 all-time. It's possible that the select team is the toughest opponent the U.S. will face this week.

"I would hope so," Iguodala said. "We've got all the tools of an international team."


Notes
Senior team center Tyson Chandler left the game after being hit in the head. Athletic trainer Casey Smith said Chandler had a headache but did not have a concussion, and he was held out for the remainder of the scrimmage. Chandler is expected to return to practice Monday, after the team takes Sunday off.
Image
User avatar
westcoast21

 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Ariza's Asylum

Postby Chicano on Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:39 pm

GREAT READ!
GREAT FIND!
GREAT STUFF!
THANKS!
:jam2:
Chicano

 

Postby gdchild on Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Um, so Team USA still needs to work on beating the zone defense.
User avatar
gdchild

 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Taiwan

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Hmm interesting. Its good the select players are playing hard and WANT to play. Thats good for our future team USA players.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18061
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby marioiscute on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:31 pm

Chicano wrote:GREAT READ!
GREAT FIND!
GREAT STUFF!
THANKS!
:jam2:


i hope you use copy and paste b/c i would imagine it gets tiring posting the same thing in every topic.
marioiscute

 
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 am

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:24 am

If Team USA again gets clowned in a tournament, you know they simply suck.

I still don´t understand how a team with so much "talent" has such a hardtime to beat a zone D.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55531
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:45 am

Doesn't matter. As long as we have Kobe, it's an easy sail to gold.
User avatar
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

 
Posts: 3708
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:23 pm

Postby Radner on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:20 am

Venezuela on Wednesday.............not that they're a good team but we should beat them badly.
Radner

 
Posts: 14094
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:53 am

Re: Team USA cold vs Youngsters

Postby ladam24 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:23 am


"I think the three guys you could say would start every game would be Carmelo, Kobe and LeBron," Krzyzewski said. "And then we would look at other people. The main thing is just so they can develop a feel of playing with one another."



I'd say that 3 players to start every game would be Kobe, Kidd and LeBron. Maybe not even LeBron.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
User avatar
ladam24

 
Posts: 11829
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:57 pm
Location: Gold Coast, AUS

Postby DALakeshow on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:12 am

Coach K is not the type of coach afraid of benching proven veteren players if they are not shooting well and that goes for Kobe also.

Most of these players are used to having the ball in there hands, and not being used as simply spot up shooters. Usually they need to build up a rythym with multiple offensive touches throught the game.

This is why i think guys like Mike Miller and Michael Redd will also get a lot of playing time at shooting guard. Both can not touch the ball for a good stretch,but stil be able to knock down the spot up 3 with consistency.
User avatar
DALakeshow

 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Postby melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:39 am

DALakeshow wrote:Coach K is not the type of coach afraid of benching proven veteren players if they are not shooting well and that goes for Kobe also.

Most of these players are used to having the ball in there hands, and not being used as simply spot up shooters. Usually they need to build up a rythym with multiple offensive touches throught the game.

This is why i think guys like Mike Miller and Michael Redd will also get a lot of playing time at shooting guard. Both can not touch the ball for a good stretch,but stil be able to knock down the spot up 3 with consistency.

"I think the three guys you could say would start every game would be Carmelo, Kobe and LeBron,"




You jump at anything negative kobe, remember when you had Miller infront of kobe at the 2? Then when kobe dominated the scrimmage you disappeared? Why do you jump at everything negative about kobe? And dont deny it because i can show you multiple places where you've done that.
User avatar
melo061

 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am

Postby DALakeshow on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:46 am

Are you sure you read the article about yesterdays scrimmage?

Kobe had a bad shooting game and struggled against the zone defense.

Nobody is saying start a new lineup,my point is Coach K is not the type of coach who will stay with a group during the course of a game if they are not shooting very well against the zone.

This is not Laker baskeball where Kobe can start off 1-10 and just shoot himself in to a rythym.

Coach K is not that type of a coach to wait for that. He will simply put in Mike Miller who shot very well on Saturday or Michael Redd.

The same goes for Lebron and others

As for Kobe's game in last months scrimmage. If team USA has to rely on those difficult contested jumpers,they will lose. Most of those shots Kobe made were dificult shots,and those wont go in with consistency throught this tournament.

Kobe being streaky is not going to help team USA. He has to be efficient and consistent.
Last edited by DALakeshow on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DALakeshow

 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Postby melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:48 am

No, it's just that you Jump, literally jump at anything negative about kobe. What you said is correct but what i find intresting is how you love to pick out negatives on kobe but disappear when he does something good. That's the point, not kobe struggling against zone defenses.
User avatar
melo061

 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am

Postby ladam24 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:50 am

DALakeshow wrote:Are you sure you read the article about yesterdays scrimmage?

Kobe had a bad shooting game and struggled against the zone defense.


When did it say that. I heard he and Melo both missed a three in the closing seconds.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
User avatar
ladam24

 
Posts: 11829
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:57 pm
Location: Gold Coast, AUS

Postby DALakeshow on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:54 am

Actually i made several comments after Kobe's winning shot last month in the scrimmage.

I said they were lucky Mike Miller and Redd kept missing wide open jumpers in that 4th quarter when they were up by double digits. 9 times out of 10 they make those shots and would have put Kobe and Carmelo's team away.

Nobody said Kobe is not capable of getting hot,the point is can he be efficient and be affective without the basketball while the ball is in the hands of Kidd and Lebron.
User avatar
DALakeshow

 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Postby melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:55 am

As for Kobe's game in last months scrimmage. If team USA has to rely on those difficult contested jumpers,they will lose. Most of those shots Kobe made were dificult shots,and those wont go in with consistency throught this tournament.


What utter garbage, you make up nonsense. 3 of kobe's 3 point makes were freaking wide open. That is not difficult for kobe bean bryant. If he is open, generally he makes it.

None of his makes were difficult.
User avatar
melo061

 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am

Postby melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:57 am

DALakeshow wrote:Actually i made several comments after Kobe's winning shot last month in the scrimmage.

I said they were lucky Mike Miller and Redd kept missing wide open jumpers in that 4th quarter when they were up by double digits. 9 times out of 10 they make those shots and would have put Kobe and Carmelo's team away.

Nobody said Kobe is not capable of getting hot,the point is can he be efficient and be affective without the basketball while the ball is in the hands of Kidd and Lebron.


So don't you find it ridiculous that you jump on kobe for missing a 3 in the closing minutes but yet you want to start redd and miller because they are "consistent". It makes no sense. It's just ridiculous hate, all it is. You are way to critical of kobe.
User avatar
melo061

 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am

Postby DALakeshow on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:01 am

Other than LeBron, Miller and a couple of the bigs, the Senior Team did not shoot well. Kobe probably struggled the most from the field, so I asked him about it afterwards.

"It won't happen no more," he told me. "We're gonna spend a lot of time and effort to get in the gym and just shoot the ball. Because a lot of the shots we get here, we're not accustomed to get with our teams, in terms of spot-up shots. A lot of us are rhythm guys. So, we have to get in the gym, we have to work on that, and hopefully make the defense pay when the time is right."
User avatar
DALakeshow

 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Postby melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:04 am

DALakeshow wrote:Other than LeBron, Miller and a couple of the bigs, the Senior Team did not shoot well. Kobe probably struggled the most from the field, so I asked him about it afterwards.

"It won't happen no more," he told me. "We're gonna spend a lot of time and effort to get in the gym and just shoot the ball. Because a lot of the shots we get here, we're not accustomed to get with our teams, in terms of spot-up shots. A lot of us are rhythm guys. So, we have to get in the gym, we have to work on that, and hopefully make the defense pay when the time is right."



Answer this. Why do you jump on everything negative related to kobe?

Oh and link me to where you got that.
User avatar
melo061

 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am

Postby DALakeshow on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:08 am

Im not juming on it like you are assuming. Your just being to sensiitve towards Kobe.

As i said before even reading the article,Kobe is a rythym shooter who needs the ball in his hands.

Lebron and Kidd will have the ball in there hands a lot so Team USA needs guys who can spot up and knock down jumpers.

Kobe basically admitted he is used to getting in to a rythym with his team and not just used as a spot up shooter.

Mike Miller is a spot up shooter,so my point is expect to see him a lot during this tournament.

This doesnt mean Mike is anywhere close to Kobe's level,my point is with zone defenses allowed in international play and if we are struggling to shoot from the perimiter,expect to see a lot of him.
Last edited by DALakeshow on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DALakeshow

 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:08 am

melo061 wrote:
DALakeshow wrote:Other than LeBron, Miller and a couple of the bigs, the Senior Team did not shoot well. Kobe probably struggled the most from the field, so I asked him about it afterwards.

"It won't happen no more," he told me. "We're gonna spend a lot of time and effort to get in the gym and just shoot the ball. Because a lot of the shots we get here, we're not accustomed to get with our teams, in terms of spot-up shots. A lot of us are rhythm guys. So, we have to get in the gym, we have to work on that, and hopefully make the defense pay when the time is right."



Answer this. Why do you jump on everything negative related to kobe?

Oh and link me to where you got that.


Because he's a Kobe hater. I wish he would just post this in every thread- "I hate Kobe, Magic is the greatest player ever". That'll save everybody a lot of time.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18061
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:12 am

I bet he made that up quote, wouldn't put it pat b-scott.
User avatar
melo061

 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am

Postby DALakeshow on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:12 am

Your taking what i said and blowing it in to me being a Kobe hater.

I said Coach K is not the type of coach who will wait for a player or players to heat up. If there COLD he will sub in players he feels can knock down some open shots to break the zone.

They cant wait for players to build up a ryrhym during a game when they got guys on the bench who can come in a heat up

This goes for Kobe, Lebron,Kidd etc
User avatar
DALakeshow

 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:14 am

DALakeshow wrote:Your taking what i said and blowing it in to me being a Kobe hater.

I said Coach K is not the type of coach who will wait for a player or players to heat up. If there COLD he will sub in players he feels can knock down some open shots to break the zone.

They cant wait for players to build up a ryrhym during a game when they got guys on the bench who can come in a heat up

This goes for Kobe, Lebron,Kidd etc


I don't disagree with your sentiments in this thread. In fact,I agree with it. But like Melo said, you're one of those guys who will jump on every thread and spin it in some negative light on Kobe.
Last edited by Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18061
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:15 am

When someone criticises everything kobe does and when he does something good downplays then it then that person sounds like a hater?

You think i downplayed lamar odom's playoff preformance even though he was being guarded by a 6-7 tweener? No, i didn't.

How about you stop downplaying everything kobe does and stop jumping on everything bad he does. That'll stop you from being called a hater.


And i'm very well aquainted that you do the same thing on real gm. You can be critical when kobe shoots badly. But don't try to downplay when he does something good. And if you are going to be critical, be critical about everyone. That is, lamar odom.
Last edited by melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
melo061

 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am

Next

Return to Team USA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.