Team USA loses to Select Team (Kobe struggles with his shot)

Team USA loses to Select Team (Kobe struggles with his shot)

Postby Chronz on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:55 pm

http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=400025373

There were actually 4 seperate scrimmages with each team winning 2, though they shouldnt be losing at all.

I thought the final period sounded the best so here it is:
The final period was easily the most competitive. The Senior Team bench built a 16-6 lead behind eight points from Mike Miller. The score was 20-12 when Coach K put his first unit back in. The Select Team then went on a 11-4 run to close within a point. With less than a minute to go, LeBron made it a three-point game with a jumper from the elbow.

On the next possession though, Jason Kapono came off a screen and hit a three to tie it. In the final possession for the varsity, Kobe had the ball on the right wing against Redick, but he gave it up to J-Kidd up top. Kidd lost the ball as he tried to penetrate. He got it back, but he tried to pass it to LeBron in the corner and time ran out.

So the score was tied at 26, and the referees were ready to walk off the court, but 'Melo started yelling, "Three minutes!" So, three minutes were put on the clock. After starting the first two quarters with a jump ball, the teams had alternated possession to start the third and fourth. So, the referees were prepared to give the ball to the Select Team to start the overtime, but the Senior Team was having none of that. they jumped it up and Amare Stoudemire won the tip.

He then started the overtime scoring off by tipping in a Kobe miss. The highlight of the OT was another tip-in, this one a 'Melo follow-up dunk off a Kobe free throw. That gave the varsity a 32-30 lead, but the Select Team went ahead 33-32 on the next possession when they got two offensive rebounds on missed free throws and Jefferson, David Lee and Jeff Green converted 3-of-6 from the line.

LeBron gave the Senior Team the lead back by flying down the court for a layup with about 45 seconds to go. But 'Melo fouled Brooks on the perimeter after switching on a screen-and-roll on the next possession. Brooks made both free throws to get the lead back, and then Amare couldn't handle a LeBron pass (that might have been intended for 'Melo) on the other end. J-Kidd was forced to foul Brooks and the rookie made it a three-point game with 18 seconds to go.

At this point, Coach K might have brought in Redd or Miller if it were a real game, but he stuck with his first team and Kobe missed a three. Still, Amare got the offensive board, got fouled and looked like he was going to have a chance at a three-point play ... but 'Melo knocked his layup off the rim when he tried to follow it.

So, Amare went to the line with his team still down three. He made 1-of-2 and Jeff Green did the same after grabbing the rebound. That gave the Senior Team another chance to tie with 7.6 seconds on the clock. 'Melo got a good look from the top of the key off the inbounds, but it hit the back of the rim. Al Jefferson got the board and finished the game off with a free throw on the other end.

Other than LeBron, Miller and a couple of the bigs, the Senior Team did not shoot well. Kobe probably struggled the most from the field, so I asked him about it afterwards.

"It won't happen no more," he told me. "We're gonna spend a lot of time and effort to get in the gym and just shoot the ball. Because a lot of the shots we get here, we're not accustomed to get with our teams, in terms of spot-up shots. A lot of us are rhythm guys. So, we have to get in the gym, we have to work on that, and hopefully make the defense pay when the time is right."

Image

'Stop laying on the ground if you're not hurt. Just get up!'
~Eva Longoria ~
User avatar
Chronz

 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:13 pm

Postby melo061 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Man, there going to get their killed next year if they continue with their way
User avatar
melo061

 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am

Postby JoPNBA on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:18 pm

:bang: :bang:
Teams
MLB
Boston Red Sox
San Francisco Giants
NBA
Miami Heat
Los Angeles Lakers
Boston Celtics
NFL
New England Patriots
Dallas Cowboys

College
USC Trojans
JoPNBA

 
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: Fort Myers, FL

Postby Chronz on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:25 pm

better they learn from their stuggles now than in the tourny
Image

'Stop laying on the ground if you're not hurt. Just get up!'
~Eva Longoria ~
User avatar
Chronz

 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:13 pm

Postby keyindabox on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:31 pm

Chronz wrote:better they learn from their stuggles now than in the tourny


They won't learn, they'll struggle in the tourney too.
"Like I say to people all the time, I don’t care what Brooklyn do, I don’t care if they have a better record than we do this year, we still got “New York” on our chest. We’re still New York’s team, regardless of what Brooklyn do." - Ray Felton
Image
BLACK MAMBA
User avatar
keyindabox
Clublakers Rep: Knicks
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: njz

Postby grego on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:32 pm

And this is why you still need a team, not a couple great players.....
User avatar
grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby Radner on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:37 pm

melo061 wrote:Man, there going to get their killed next year if they continue with their way


Forget next year, they will get destroyed in the FIBA Americas' Championships.

Barbosa is going to have a field day with Team USA.
Radner

 
Posts: 14094
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:53 am

Postby MarkMadsen on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:45 pm

so kobe is not the savior?
Image
User avatar
MarkMadsen

 
Posts: 7461
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Minnesota

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Please.

USA will cruise through the FIBAs and the Olympics.
User avatar
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

 
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:23 pm

Postby Radner on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:55 pm

TooSexyForMyShirt wrote:Please.

USA will cruise through the FIBAs and the Olympics.


Not if Argentina and Spain have anything to say about it.
Radner

 
Posts: 14094
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:53 am

Postby temp5F on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:15 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:so kobe is not the savior?


One practice game automatically diminishes his status on the team? Please. They are professionals, they will adjust. That's what they're doing right now.
User avatar
temp5F

 
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:45 am

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:40 pm

JKsnoots wrote:
TooSexyForMyShirt wrote:Please.

USA will cruise through the FIBAs and the Olympics.


Not if Argentina and Spain have anything to say about it.


Argentina is missing their best players. Ginobili comes to mind? We'll cruise through it. The select team is the best competition Team USA will face all summer.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18038
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby Radner on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:20 pm

two0one7 wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
TooSexyForMyShirt wrote:Please.

USA will cruise through the FIBAs and the Olympics.


Not if Argentina and Spain have anything to say about it.


Argentina is missing their best players. Ginobili comes to mind? We'll cruise through it. The select team is the best competition Team USA will face all summer.


I was referring to the Olympics not FIBA.

Also, Brazil is more than capable of pulling an upset.
Radner

 
Posts: 14094
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:53 am

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:26 pm

JKsnoots wrote:
two0one7 wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
TooSexyForMyShirt wrote:Please.

USA will cruise through the FIBAs and the Olympics.


Not if Argentina and Spain have anything to say about it.


Argentina is missing their best players. Ginobili comes to mind? We'll cruise through it. The select team is the best competition Team USA will face all summer.


I was referring to the Olympics not FIBA.

Also, Brazil is more than capable of pulling an upset.

If the U.S.A. team with Kobe wins a game in the FIBAs by less than 10 points, I won't post in CL for a week.

Same for the Olympics. You can quote me.
User avatar
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

 
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:23 pm

Postby Radner on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:00 am

TooSexyForMyShirt wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
two0one7 wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
TooSexyForMyShirt wrote:Please.

USA will cruise through the FIBAs and the Olympics.


Not if Argentina and Spain have anything to say about it.


Argentina is missing their best players. Ginobili comes to mind? We'll cruise through it. The select team is the best competition Team USA will face all summer.


I was referring to the Olympics not FIBA.

Also, Brazil is more than capable of pulling an upset.

If the U.S.A. team with Kobe wins a game in the FIBAs by less than 10 points, I won't post in CL for a week.

Same for the Olympics. You can quote me.


This isn't the Dream Team anymore. The domination the U.S. once had is gone. FIBA Americas Championship most likely won't be as difficult as last year but the Olympics are a totally different story. Italy, Greece, Spain, and Argentina will give us an extremely hard time in Beijing.

It won't be easy......
Radner

 
Posts: 14094
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:53 am

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:24 am

As long as Kobe plays, it'll be EASY. I am telling you to quote me on this. Put me in your sig.
User avatar
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

 
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:23 pm

Postby addwuzhere on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:58 am

TooSexyForMyShirt wrote:As long as Kobe plays, it'll be EASY. I am telling you to quote me on this. Put me in your sig.


dont have to but i agree with you but im not in the bet
NBA Quotes:
Alonzo, winning the DPOY:"I thank my teammates for letting their men blow by them."

Shaq:"I made a 1,600 minus 800 minus 200 on the SAT, so I'm very intelligent when I speak."

Chick Hearn:"The game's in the refrigerator. The door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jiggling."
User avatar
addwuzhere

 
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: Irvine, California

Postby Tragic on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:04 am

O_O

Kobe will eat Brazil, Spain, Argentina by single handedly. But he has a team so the US will eat Brazil, Spain, Argentina.
User avatar
Tragic

 
Posts: 7498
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:09 pm

Postby Showtime is Magic on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:19 pm

:bang: overreaction by some of you. They are FINE. Relax
User avatar
Showtime is Magic

 
Posts: 6559
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: UCLA

Postby blakeruns on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:03 pm

JKsnoots wrote:
melo061 wrote:Man, there going to get their killed next year if they continue with their way


Forget next year, they will get destroyed in the FIBA Americas' Championships.

Barbosa is going to have a field day with Team USA.





:mhihi:
keepin it fresh eight days a week
Image
User avatar
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 11653
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Huntington Beach & Honolulu

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:10 pm

blakeruns wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
melo061 wrote:Man, there going to get their killed next year if they continue with their way


Forget next year, they will get destroyed in the FIBA Americas' Championships.

Barbosa is going to have a field day with Team USA.





:mhihi:


:man10: , 4pts...yeah field day
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18038
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby kroublees on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:30 pm

two0one7 wrote:
blakeruns wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:
melo061 wrote:Man, there going to get their killed next year if they continue with their way


Forget next year, they will get destroyed in the FIBA Americas' Championships.

Barbosa is going to have a field day with Team USA.





:mhihi:


:man10: , 4pts...yeah field day
OWNED
"To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly." Dirk Nowitzki on Kobe
User avatar
kroublees

 
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:47 pm
Location: L.A. the best

Postby gdchild on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:32 pm

Only one single field goal made by Barbosa. :man1: :

Kobe's D is sick. :bow:
User avatar
gdchild

 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Taiwan

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Bump for ownage emphasis.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18038
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby Tragic on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:37 pm

two0one7 wrote:Bump for ownage emphasis.
User avatar
Tragic

 
Posts: 7498
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:09 pm


Return to Team USA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.