Team USA Update (Bron's in, p. 2)

Team USA Update (Bron's in, p. 2)

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:08 pm

Bowen?
ESPN: From the Stein Line e-mailbag:

Jack (Dallas): Have to call you out on something. I know all about your undying loyalty to Cal State Fullerton, but Bruce Bowen was born in 1971. The Olympics will be in 2008. I don't think I want a 37-year-old Bowen on Team USA.

Stein: You got me, Jack. Maybe I did get a little carried away with this nomination. Then again, maybe not if Team USA chief Jerry Colangelo is considering Bowen as it now appears. Either way, I think you understand the point. We keep hearing that Team USA will be looking for role players this time, yet we're mostly still hearing only star names thrown out as possibilities. Bowen is a championship-tested role player whose defensive prowess and ability to make 3s adds up to an interesting package. I'd also say that Bowen, at 34, looks as spry as he ever has at a time when he theoretically should be slowing down already, because he looks after himself so religiously.

No KG, but Colangelo wants to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.
St. Paul Pioneer Press: Jerry Colangelo would like Kevin Garnett to reconsider.

Colangelo said Thursday he is aware Garnett has said he is not interested in playing for another gold medal.

But Colangelo wants to hear it directly from Garnett, and the Phoenix Suns chairman said he plans to make an appointment to meet with Garnett when the Timberwolves play in Phoenix on Feb. 6.

Garnett was "right at the top of the list of four or five players" who Colangelo and Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski were hoping would participate at the Beijing Olympics.

"He's certainly a guy that we, Coach K and myself, have a great deal of interest in," Colangelo said. "All we can do is hope that there's mutual interest. It's available to him if he chooses."

Wally being considered?
St. Paul Pioneer Press: Colangelo also plans to talk with Wolves forward Wally Szczerbiak, who has said he would love to play.

No T-Mac or Duncan
St. Paul Pioneer Press: Garnett is among a group of high-profile NBA stars who have said they are not interested, along with the Houston Rockets' Tracy McGrady and the San Antonio Spurs' Tim Duncan.

Bron willing to play, if he likes JC's plan
Akron Beacon Journal: James is expected to meet with Phoenix Suns chairman and USA Basketball director Jerry Colangelo today in Phoenix to discuss the 2008 Olympic team. Colangelo has been meeting with players as they pass through Phoenix, looking for a commitment to this summer's World Championships in Tokyo, next summer's Olympic Qualifier, and the 2008 Games in China. James has said he'd been willing, if he liked Colangelo's plan. Colangelo is expected to release an initial list of player commitments next month.

B. Diddy wants to play, it's a "dream" of his.
Contra Costa Times: Jerry Colangelo met with Warriors point guard Baron Davis before Thursday's game.

Davis said his representatives contacted Colangelo to make sure it was known he was interested.

"It's always been a dream of mine," Davis said before Thursday's game. "I want to go."

Davis said he is eager to represent his country and redeem himself from his last international showing. Davis said he'd rather be selected to the U.S. national team than to the All-Star Game.

He said he has no problem making the three-year commitment Colangelo is requiring -- never mind his busy offseason schedule, which includes running his movie production company and Magic Johnson's celebrity game, which was bequeathed to Davis.

"I don't have a life," Davis said. "Basketball is my life."

Brad Miller wants to play to suit up, as well.
Contra Costa Times: Sacramento Kings center Brad Miller also reportedly has contacted Colangelo expressing interest.

Two Sonics and 4 Pistons are candidates
Contra Costa Times: Colangelo reportedly has said Seattle's Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis and four Detroit Pistons -- guards Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton, center Ben Wallace and forward Tayshaun Prince -- were candidates.

Kidd has yet to make up his mind
Contra Costa Times: Colangelo spoke with New Jersey's Jason Kidd, who has yet to commit either way.

The young Mavs forward would like to throw his name in the ring.
ESPN Insider (Chris Sheridan chat transcript): Josh Howard would like to be in the mix, and he's asked his new agent to place a call to Colangelo to see if he can get in the mix
Last edited by JSM on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby High IQ on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:18 pm

please no Wally, Miller and Bowen. I can live with others.
High IQ

Postby MarkMadsen on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:45 pm

whats wrong with Wally? Dude can shoot the lights out.
MarkMadsen

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:50 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:whats wrong with Wally? Dude can shoot the lights out.
sometimes he dont play a lick of D instead of him id rather have Pierce
PurpleNGold1

Postby KB24 on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:56 pm

I want him but the question is how many shooters do we need?
I mean you already have shooters in Redd, Arenas and they also contacted Allen and Lewis WTF 5 players without any kind of defense.
I think 3 shooters are enaugh specially when you also have Bron and Kobe on that team. In the last olympics the perimeter defense was HORRIBLE with Marbury, Iverson, Wade getting the majority of minutes. We need some defense. I would love to see Prince on that team, KG on that team. Not even Kidd who in 3 years isn´t anything special.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby MarkMadsen on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Wally aint a "great" defender..but hes no slouch on defense too.
Ray Allen aint gonna come. He always declines invitations. Only other pure shooter is Redd. I would definitley want Wally on my USA team.
MarkMadsen

Postby MarkMadsen on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:41 pm

PurpleNGold1 wrote:
sometimes he dont play a lick of D instead of him id rather have Pierce

who says you cant have both?
MarkMadsen

Postby dog_attitude on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:51 pm

Another crappy USA team, don't tell me that is a dream team, is just another team with Kobe as the superstar and some good role players...Puerto Rico is going to beat them again... :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :man9: :man9: :man9:
"CON TEMOR A DIOS, Y SIN MIEDO AL HOMBRE" - Daddy Yankee
dog_attitude

Postby scheven on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:58 pm

^ lol
any team with kobe and lebron would kill any team
scheven

Postby High IQ on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:51 pm

KB@CL is right, we need some peremiter defense. Iggy, Prince, we need guy like that.
High IQ

Postby KB24 on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:19 pm

we need some balance, last time we lacked vets and shooters, this time it seems like we go the opposite way. Wally is an offensive talent all in all and having Arenas, James, Kobe, Redd and whoever makes his presence pretty useless IMO. Lets not talk about Allen and/or Lewis should they decide to join the team.

I think Wally is a great shooter but he is not essential IMO. he IS a below average defender. We can for example go after Joe Johnson who can also shoot lights out. I mean why not go after 2 way players when you can have them.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Bron officially commits
ESPN: LeBron James has committed to playing for the U.S. team at this year's world championships and the 2008 Olympics, the head of USA basketball said Saturday night.

"It's officially official in his case and I know he's excited about it," said Jerry Colangelo, managing director of USA Basketball. "He's obviously one of the core guys you want because of his talent, his age, his maturity at a very young age."

Colangelo met with James before the Cleveland Cavaliers played the Phoenix Suns, but thought the 21-year-old Cavs' star already had committed in a meeting in Chicago on Dec. 22. However, James was quoted as saying he still had to talk to Colangelo before making any commitment.

"So I visited with him about a half-hour ago to confirm that everything's OK and absolutely it is," Colangelo said. "He said 'Well, what should I tell the media?' and I said 'Tell them you're in, because that's what I'm going to tell them.'"

"He had a bad experience, you know, in Athens," Colangelo said. "He wasn't happy about how things turned out there, the outcome and his own personal experience there. He sees this as an opportunity and he buys into representing your country and winning a gold medal, and doing it the appropriate way. He wants to be a part of that."
JSM

Postby lakerfool on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:41 pm

deservedly so

Can't wait to see that LBJ/Kobe backcourt :man13:
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:48 pm

So now we are looking at...

Amare
Marion
Bron
Kobe/Redd
Arenas/AI

We need to add frontcourt players. Dwight Howard should be a must add, if he wants to play.
JSM

Postby KB24 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:33 am

jsm0331 wrote:So now we are looking at...

Amare
Marion
Bron
Kobe/Redd
Arenas/AI

We need to add frontcourt players. Dwight Howard should be a must add, if he wants to play.

I don´t want AI on that team. He has nothing that we need. We have enaugh slashers with Kobe, Bron, Arenas, Marion...
I would want this lineup with the current divelopment
Jermaine / Howard
Amare / Brand / Odom (Prince)
James / Marion / Wally
Kobe / Redd /
Arenas / Billups

possible replacements
Wade, Lewis
Last edited by KB24 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby mojoballer on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:40 am

Elton Brand, Chris Bosh and Brad Miller would round out that team nicely.
mojoballer

Postby LUUUKE on Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:39 am

LeBron with Kobe?

GOLD
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby Neener on Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:53 am

Man, Kobe + LJ in the backcourt is going to be scary. Who will be able to guard Bron let alone Kobe?
Neener

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:21 am

by the time the olympics roll by andrew bynum will be a dominate center :man12:
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Camilo on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:40 am

lakerfool wrote:deservedly so

Can't wait to see that LBJ/Kobe backcourt :man13:
Camilo

Postby High IQ on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:17 am

Camilo wrote:
lakerfool wrote:deservedly so