Team USA wants Camby

Team USA wants Camby

Postby JSM on Tue May 15, 2007 12:07 pm

Denver Post: USA Basketball wants Nuggets center Marcus Camby to wear red, white and blue.

Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball's senior men's team managing director, said Monday he has extended an invitation to Camby to join the team. But it's uncertain if Camby will accept because of a family situation he has been dealing with since season's end. The 2007 NBA defensive player of the year is expected to speak to Colangelo soon about the invitation.

"The ball is in his court and we are awaiting a call from him," Colangelo said in a phone interview Monday. "We've had a call into his agent for some time here. We have not heard back. We made a determination that we want to extend an invitation to him."

If Camby accepts, he will have an opportunity to make Team USA's roster for the FIBA Americas Championship, an Olympic qualifying tournament, in Las Vegas from Aug. 22-Sept. 2. He also would get a chance to make Team USA's 2008 Beijing Olympics team if it qualifies. Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony also plays for Team USA.

While Camby wasn't available for comment, his agent, Rick Kaplan, said: "My understanding is there is interest on the part of USA Basketball, but nothing is confirmed."

Colangelo is being patient with Camby because Team USA won't meet until a mini-camp in late July.

"There is nothing happening right now," Colangelo said. "We don't have our camp until July. We're just getting our ducks in order."

"We're not looking for offense," Colangelo said. "We're looking for rebounding, block shots, run the floor, someone that can pass a little bit.That's why there are certain players that fit that mold and others that don't. We have a lot of offensive players. Last time I checked there is still one ball."

Because of injuries or personal reasons, Gilbert Arenas, Bruce Bowen, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller, Adam Morrison, Lamar Odom, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce and Dwyane Wade aren't expected to play for Team USA this summer.

Colangelo, however, said he has received new commitments from Jason Kidd, Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams, Tyson Chandler and Mike Miller as well as collegians Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. Colangelo said he expects Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James to play, too.

"I'm just going to go out there and do what I got to do," Anthony said recently. "But one of the luxuries of playing in (the NBA) is all the good (Americans) we have. We're still dominant. We haven't proved it over the last couple of years. But we still have the best players in the world."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Team USA wants Camby

Postby Weezy on Tue May 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Colangelo, however, said he has received new commitments from Jason Kidd, Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams, Tyson Chandler and Mike Miller as well as collegians Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. Colangelo said he expects Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James to play, too.

That right there is a better team than last year's anyway, forget the guys with injuries, especialy Wade, who was useless in international play without the refs. Star players only aren't exactly getting it done, guys like Boozer, Kidd, Williams, Kobe, Billups, Camby and Chandler sound good to me, more rounded out team. A lineup of Kidd/Billups, Kobe, LeBron/Melo, Boozer, Camby is pretty damn good.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Satan on Tue May 15, 2007 12:17 pm

If I'm Denver, there is no way in hell I'm lettting Mr. Glass play in the Olympics.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby Massacre on Tue May 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Satan wrote:If I'm Denver, there is no way in hell I'm lettting Mr. Glass play in the Olympics.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Unless they trade him, I don't understand why they would let him risk sustaining ANOTHER injury to enter the season unhealthy. That's the last thing you want.
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu May 17, 2007 1:02 pm

JSM

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu May 17, 2007 3:12 pm

too bad lamar will probably be out because of his surgery. i was looking forward to seeing if he would play with passion like he did in the suns series.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Thu May 17, 2007 11:41 pm

That's looking like a pretty balanced team, but who is going to play center? Who played center last time? Howard?
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby JSM on Fri May 18, 2007 10:01 am

^ Chandler, Oden, or Dwight.
JSM

Return to Team USA