Who wins in a 7 game series?

1992 Dream Team
76%
2008 Redeem Team
23%

Total votes : 21

The Dream Team vs. The Redeem Team

Postby Iceberg Slim on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:34 pm

In a 7 game series, how easy of a win is it for the 92' team?

Considering virtually the entire roster were in their primes in 1992 except for Larry and Magic, I'd take them in an easy 6. A 2012 version of Lebron James might force me to consider 7...but this is not the same Bron. Far removed from the world champion he currently is.

My eyes would probably gravitate towards the matchup of two certain shooting guards though.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Re: The Dream Team vs. The Redeem Team

Postby Finwë on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:55 pm

How about The Dream Team vs Team USA 2012 with healthy players, i.e. Rose & Howard play ?
In that case the series would be much closer.
2012 team would be something like CP3, Kobe, Durant, LeBron, Howard; with a bench of Rose, Melo, Westbrook, Love, Deron Williams, Blake Griffin...
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:27 am

Kobe vs Jordan... A 2008 Kobe vs a 1992 Jordan would have been so much fun to watch. Damn.

Dwight would be exposed in a huge way. I think the Redeem Team wins a couple games by pushing the tempo and leaning on speed and athleticism.

Dream Team in 6.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:28 am

Things get mixed up in the backcourt, a lot of pro's and con's for each side. While the two most important players, Jordan and Kobe, are close to their relative primes.

But I just don't trust the '08 team's front court. Boozer, Bosh and Dwight won't cut it against Barkley, Malone, Ewing and Robinson. The 2008 LeBron still played more on the wing as a small forward, and was generally more one-dimensional. It would be very easy for '92 Jordan & Pippen to put '08 LeBron out of his game.

If the 2012 Power Forward Lebron was playing it would be a different story, the Redeem Team might take it. But if we're going that route, why not '87 Magic, '06 Kobe or '86 Bird? Heck, even '02 Kidd would be sweet to watch. I think an interesting debate would be if every player on each side was in their prime.

But I say '92 in 6 as well.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 am

That would be really a dream to watch ... would love to play that in 2k :man1:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:40 am

The dream team front line would have put a whooping on the redeem team front line. I think Jordan/Pippen would go Toni Kukoc mode on Lebron.

Dream Team in 5. 6 if Kobe goes off one game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby bystander on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 am

92 in 5. Maybe in 4.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby 432J on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:51 am

Dream team in 6

i would have loved to see barkley and malone toy around with bosh and boozer down low
432J

Postby Forklift on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am

Dream team in 3. They would have killed them so bad that the 4th game wouldn't even matter :man1:.
Forklift

Postby gcclaker on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 am

The noted strenghts of the original has already been noted so I'll just add that 1992 had some "killers" in there in Jordan, Johnson, Barkley, Malone and to a certain degree Stockton. Even on a bad back, Bird still possessed that arrogance and sneer. That collection of talent wasn't just on the floor to beat opponents they wanted to humiliate them. The Redeems? I'll say only one has that mindset and that would be Bryant.

If the 1992 squad WANTED to sweep them to prove a point, you can bet they would. Their series in 5.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:24 am

Dream Team and it's not even close...

Outside of Kobe and LeBron, nobody really compares to their counterparts. A more interesting debate would be to build a team of players SINCE the dream team who were also all in their primes

Shaq/Howard
Duncan/KG/Webber
LeBron/Pierce
Kobe/Tmac/AI
Kidd/Paul
Center Court

Postby The Rock on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28 am

Are we playing by Fiba rules? Melo destroyed the competition in the Olympics and the FIBA Americas. He was too quick for the big guys and too strong for the guards/forwards put on him. His jumper was on point in those tourneys

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Finwë on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:02 pm

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:That would be really a dream to watch ... would love to play that in 2k :man1:

Done that. Downloaded the 92' Dream Team and the 2012 Team USA from the shared 2k database. Awesome.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Juronimo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32 pm

It would be a sweep. There is just no comparison talent wise, especially when you look at the big men.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Congo Cash on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Sweep...

I would put a frontcourt of Ewing, Malone and Barkley to abuse their soft frontcourt... A 2008 LeBron trying to post up/shoot over against a 1992 Scottie Pippen? Good luck with that... :man11:

If they want to run, then I will counter them with a lineup of Stockton/MJ/Pippen/Malone/Robinson to run them out of the building...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Juronimo wrote:It would be a sweep. There is just no comparison talent wise, especially when you look at the big men.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Dream Team in 5. Kobe's heroics give them one game.

MJ, Magic, and David Robinson + scrubs would beat them.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Um... The only player I love from the 08 team is Kobe and Melo. Kobe couldn't do enough and the rest of the team would get beat the hell down. I honestly don't think it would even be close.. Maybe, just maybe, the Redeem Team win 1 but that is a maybe to me. I say Dream Team sweep or in 5
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby strikemode14 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:07 am

This wouldn't be fair.

The only person that would have the mental fortitude to deal with them would be kobe. The ONLY chance would be maybe the dream team wouldn't be that mesh b/c they just toyed with everyone so maybe that could squeeze out two wins for the redeem team...however it I see either dream team in 5 or outright sweep
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby Finwë on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:54 am

Dream Team vs healthy (with Rose & Howard) Team USA 2012 ?
Finwë

Postby Kou on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Dream Team sweep.
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby Quik Z06 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:45 pm

The biggest difference between the 2 is the 92 Dream Team had a bunch of players on it that WANTED to win, they were all very competitive guys. I mean really, think about it. Magic, Bird, Jordan, Malone, Barkley, Pippen etc, they all had a hunger to win. These younger guy's want to do dunks off the backboard, 360's and basically show off (which is why they were getting their butt's kicked before Kobe came back) So in short the Dream Team BY FAR!!!
Quik Z06

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:31 pm

I recall being aware of this S.I. article on the Dream Team done not too long ago, "The Greatest Game Nobody Ever Saw" but never saw it until having to wait in a doctor's office for something routine last Thursday. They had the issue. HA....it's long but AWESOME. Can't copy/paste it but the link is below. I read 2/3 of it before getting in and then came back out and sat in the lobby again to read the rest. :man10:

Fascinating look behind the scenes with all the alpha dogs....MJ and Magic into each other good in this scrimmage the article is about. Mike Krzyewski was even there too to see it all as one of the assistants. I would imagine it will be a great dynamic and a lot of smack going on this year too....unless Coach K just reigns it in and makes them focus only on the team task. Some interesting comments as well about just how good Barkley was perceived to be by at least one of the other guys on the team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
LTLakerFan

Postby MusixFinest on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:09 am

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondthebo ... =20080821b

Apparently, it was run through a computer sim. Redeem Team wins a Best of 7 series in 7 games. Pretty close.
MusixFinest

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am

The front court of the Dream team would MURDER them. Come on. Then Jordan, Pippen and Magic, Mullen and the rest on top of that...... :man4: :man4: :man4: Shows what a computer program on this kind of stuff is good for....... :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Next

Return to Team USA