The Road to Redemption isn't over

The Road to Redemption isn't over

Postby THE_DAGGER on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:37 am

I know we should all be celebrating the moment at hand right now. We've waited 4 long years to get the bitter taste of 2004 out our mouths.

But, now that we're finally here, and our team has won the gold medal back for our country, I can't help but ask myself...what's next?

Where does Team USA go from here?

Of course, we need to defend the gold in the 2012 Olympics in London. But, is there anything more immediate that we need to look towards?

And it hit me, we've all been so focused on the Olympics, but, we actually have unfinished business elsewhere on the international scene...The FIBA World Championship.

Yes, 8 years passed in between the last time we won a gold medal in the Olympics. But, 14 years have passed in between the last time we won a FIBA World Championship.

We haven't won a FIBA World Championship since 1994.

In 1998, we didn't send NBA players because of the lockout. We ended up in 3rd place.

In 2002, our 58 game winning streak in international competition of USA teams featuring NBA players came to an abrupt end. We finished a dismal 6th place.

And in 2006, we lost to Greece in the semifinals. We finished 3rd.

I know for our country, the Olympics has precedence over the FIBA World Championship. After all, we had a Dream Team in the Olympics. We don't have a Dream Team for the FIBA World Championship.

Not only that, but we already consider the NBA champions, the world champions.

But, look at the World Championship of another sport, soccer. They have the World Cup.

Outside of the Olympics, the World Cup is probably the next biggest international sports competition in the world.

Aside from the US, most countries go crazy during World Cup. I would even say alot of those countries put the World cup on par with the Olympics if not over it in terms of importance.

With basketball becoming more global, countries have taken more pride in their basketball teams.

This upcoming FIBA World Championship in 2010 should be important to us.

The Road to Redemption needs to continue. It shouldn't end at the Olympics.

To truly re-establish our dominance on international competition, we need to win the World Championship as well.
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Postby bokeron on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:53 am

I think what the US team needs to to to win "redemption" is to win ... playing with same rules as the rest of the world.

It is undeniable the US team is the better team. A lot of circumstances and history have lead to that.

But, If, when playing by the FIBA rules, with FIBA refferees, the us players commit travelling almost each time they touch the ball, and not a single one get's called, and so many other things where the refferee balance has tipped to the US team ... your victoy may be clear and undeniable, but not shiny.

We wan't to be beaten without aid. We know you don't need it. Prove it, then.
bokeron

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

Postby LakerPride247 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 am

bokeron wrote:I think what the US team needs to to to win "redemption" is to win ... playing with same rules as the rest of the world.

It is undeniable the US team is the better team. A lot of circumstances and history have lead to that.

But, If, when playing by the FIBA rules, with FIBA refferees, the us players commit travelling almost each time they touch the ball, and not a single one get's called, and so many other things where the refferee balance has tipped to the US team ... your victoy may be clear and undeniable, but not shiny.

:man6:
LakerPride247

Postby live and die in LA on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:49 am

bokeron wrote:I think what the US team needs to to to win "redemption" is to win ... playing with same rules as the rest of the world.

You lost fair and square, get over it. You guys keep screaming "travel, refs let US win, blah blah blah". Do you have ANY SIGNIFICANT EVIDENCE? Besides one instance where Lebron traveled. Spain got away with stuff too, the refs were inconsistant. Keep claiming conspiracies all you want but just know your living in a fantasy world.
live and die in LA

Postby Radner on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:27 am

As far as USA goes, they're capable of winning gold but I just don't think they'll dominate in the process to get one.

There will be a lot of improved teams in 2010 looking for redemption of their own due to losses to the USA.
Radner

Postby Weezy on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:51 am

Well, what we saw from the Spain team, they're catching up. We have the system in place, younger guys will start to replace the older guys and I think a lot of the guys will stay on and it will remain a real TEAM.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby audioaxes on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:07 am

I think Team USA has done enough, they showed they are still by far the best. Trying to go all out for the FIBA championships could be a bit much for some players. We have already proven that if we send our best we will win so I'll just be happy if everyone focuses most of their energy on the Olympics.
audioaxes

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:56 am

I think you make very good points.

The US has never really worried about the FIBA championships and I don't expect them to now. I think the US will put a pretty good team out there with a lot of talent but you probably won't see Kobe or Kid. Remember we have a 20+ man roster for the US Team.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby High IQ on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:04 pm

live and die in LA wrote:

You lost fair and square, get over it. You guys keep screaming "travel, refs let US win, blah blah blah". Do you have ANY SIGNIFICANT EVIDENCE? Besides one instance where Lebron traveled. Spain got away with stuff too, the refs were inconsistant. Keep claiming conspiracies all you want but just know your living in a fantasy world.

besides that, LeBron is a traveling machine in the NBA aswell.
High IQ

Postby bokeron on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:12 pm

I think you're not understanding what I say. I don't give a damn who won the game. I was sure, 100% sure, that the US was going to win, and not because of referees, but because it is a superior team. Who is denying that ? Not me.

There has been some situations where a referee, who is a quite known referee in the european league, would not call travelling. The same reff. calls for the travelling continuously when in the european league.

And I refer to travelling because it has been so obvious, so permanent, game after game, play after play, that to show you proofs of it, I'd have to edit a film with almost every play of the us team. No, it's no hyperbole.

There was even an agreement with the FIBA for this : Do not call travel when the player doesn't get any advantage from it... it is a thing of marvel... play by fiba rules, but hey, only under some circumstances. And even then, the ones wich should have been called no matter what, were not.

If things have to be like that, then don't allow the US team hand checking, and put the three point line back a couple steps, but just for the us team. NBA rules for the good and the bad, and not just for the good.

Rules are rules. We're playing FIBA rules. If you don't care to follow FIBA rules, then don't play fiba tournaments. And it is not the US team fault, but FIBA's organization, because of allowing it.
bokeron

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:16 pm

Well the rules will be more in US's favor as they're converging towrards NBA rules from here on out. Fiba will adopt the NBA's rectangular paint, charging circle, and move the 3pt line further out.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:16 pm

^without USA and its superstars...FIBA and everything would be completely useless.

Imagine USA would disallow Euro players to go and play in the NBA...most attractions in basketball play in the NBA and they become that good in the NBA. If they stay in Europe they will not become that much of a star anyway..

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby GinoDB on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:11 pm

two0one7 wrote:Well the rules will be more in US's favor as they're converging towrards NBA rules from here on out. Fiba will adopt the NBA's rectangular paint, charging circle, and move the 3pt line further out.

thats interesting, maybe they can meet somewhere in the middle and settle on one thing eventually , I kind of enjoyed the style of play, only gripe was the inconsistent calls (fix that, make the 3 farther, make the lane rectangle and it would be perfect)
GinoDB

Postby LakerPride247 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:07 am

bokeron wrote:I think you're not understanding what I say. I don't give a damn who won the game. I was sure, 100% sure, that the US was going to win, and not because of referees, but because it is a superior team. Who is denying that ? Not me.

There has been some situations where a referee, who is a quite known referee in the european league, would not call travelling. The same reff. calls for the travelling continuously when in the european league.

And I refer to travelling because it has been so obvious, so permanent, game after game, play after play, that to show you proofs of it, I'd have to edit a film with almost every play of the us team. No, it's no hyperbole.

There was even an agreement with the FIBA for this : Do not call travel when the player doesn't get any advantage from it... it is a thing of marvel... play by fiba rules, but hey, only under some circumstances. And even then, the ones wich should have been called no matter what, were not.

If things have to be like that, then don't allow the US team hand checking, and put the three point line back a couple steps, but just for the us team. NBA rules for the good and the bad, and not just for the good.

Rules are rules. We're playing FIBA rules. If you don't care to follow FIBA rules, then don't play fiba tournaments. And it is not the US team fault, but FIBA's organization, because of allowing it.

:man6:
LakerPride247

Postby spainfull on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 am

GinoDB wrote:
two0one7 wrote:Well the rules will be more in US's favor as they're converging towrards NBA rules from here on out. Fiba will adopt the NBA's rectangular paint, charging circle, and move the 3pt line further out.

thats interesting, maybe they can meet somewhere in the middle and settle on one thing eventually , I kind of enjoyed the style of play, only gripe was the inconsistent calls (fix that, make the 3 farther, make the lane rectangle and it would be perfect)

in fact, some minor FIBA rules are going to change after this Olympics and the most important (3pt line from 6.25mt to 6.75 mt. and the zone is going to be as in NBA) after 2010 World Championship.

And yes, most part of the rest of the world think soccer World Championship is at the same level that Olympics. But in basketball I think is more special Olympics than World Championship. But its a bit esasier to win because there are less teams (there are 3-4 good european teams that are out always).

Anyway, with this USA team they will probably win any tournament. But its true that FIBA should let clear the rules they are going to follow.

This Olympic final was an epic spectacle. Best international game ever. I think Spain gained lot of respect. But team USA is too much... and Kobe.
spainfull

Return to Team USA