Total Overall Medals...or Total Golds?

Golds
45%
Total Medals
55%

Total votes : 20

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:23 pm

KB24@CL wrote:
leakbrewergator wrote:Silver and Bronze are just the first and second losers....

thats BS...second means you are the second best at what you do...

let me ask you this question...

is there ANYTHING in your life, that you can say you are among the one million best? I don't think so...but these people can say I can do "------" and there is only one guy better than me at it...

if they are losers, what are we then?

if you put medal count ahead of everything, you're giving equal value to bronze, silver, and gold which is completely pointless.
halekulani

Postby KGB on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:24 pm

halekulani wrote:golds
duh.

getting a lot of medals means you're pretty good
getting the most golds means you're the best.
So when the US completely dominates basketball and swimming and blows in everything else they should be the considered better than a country who got gold in everything except those 2 sports?
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby KGB on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:31 pm

halekulani wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:
leakbrewergator wrote:Silver and Bronze are just the first and second losers....

is there ANYTHING in your life, that you can say you are among the one million best? I don't think so...but these people can say I can do "------" and there is only one guy better than me at it...

if you put medal count ahead of everything, you're giving equal value to bronze, silver, and gold which is completely pointless.
It's not black and white like that. I agree if someone has 10 gold, 5 silver, and 3 bronze then they should be better than someone with 7 gold, 7 silver, and 4 bronze but were saying that if someone has 5 gold and nothing in anything else they shouldn't be better than someone with 1 gold and silver in everything else. Get it?

and LULZ @ trodgers posts :man10:
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:53 pm

KGB wrote:
halekulani wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:

were saying that if someone has 5 gold and nothing in anything else they shouldn't be better than someone with 1 gold and silver in everything else. Get it?

and LULZ @ trodgers posts :man10:

why create a hypothetical situation with extreme # examples? that's almost too easy to design a situation where one might consider 100 silvers worth more than 3 golds.

it's not really hard to figure out. you could create a point system like they do in racing, weighing a certain point value to each medal. when looking at the current situation, nobody is close to china right now. nobody.
halekulani

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:55 pm

KGB wrote:
halekulani wrote:golds
duh.

getting a lot of medals means you're pretty good
getting the most golds means you're the best.
So when the US completely dominates basketball and swimming and blows in everything else they should be the considered better than a country who got gold in everything except those 2 sports?

i don't even know what this means
halekulani

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:20 pm

LDR wrote:Yeah, a 5-3-1 count would really be helpful. But why not make it even simpler and go 3-2-1.

because the weight values of the medals would be different.
2 silvers should never be = or > 1 gold IMO *shrug*
halekulani

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:45 pm

halekulani wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote: the Americans have medaled in nearly every style of event. Lets not devalue what CHina is doing because the 1st place finishes is overwhelming to see.

uh what
let's see

US golds - gymnastics, rowing, swimming, shooting, road cycling, fencing, equestrian, tennis, and two track and field events

china golds - archery, gymnastics, badminton, diving, sync diving, fencing, judo, rowing, shooting, swimming, table tennis, trampoline, weightlifting, wrestling.

i think it's pretty obvious china is getting more golds in more sports, hands down so "medaled in nearly every style of event" is BS. they're not even winning the medal count significantly.
china has 67 medals
US has 72
china is +17 on golds

Since you did the work go ahead and put the number of medals won in each event as well. I stand by my statement.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:16 pm

KB24@CL wrote:BTW maybe people should also take note that China has 1/5 of the world population...its easier to find quality among 1.3 billion than it is to find in other countries with far lesser options.

uh
tell that to india
phelps has more golds in his single career than their country's history.
halekulani

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:17 pm

halekulani wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:BTW maybe people should also take note that China has 1/5 of the world population...its easier to find quality among 1.3 billion than it is to find in other countries with far lesser options.

uh
tell that to india

Phelps has more medals than about 190 countries so far in these Olympics.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:19 pm

there's nothing special about your statement.
30+ US medals have come from swimming
the US getting medals across many fields isn't unique at all, hence why i wrote out the comparison between golds. sure it's an accomplishment, but honestly i expected the US to do even better.

i don't get why people continue to insist medal count is more important than golds when there is a large gap in golds between the two leaders in medal count. gold != silver != bronze.

more medals doesn't mean you're better when almost half of them came from the same sport.
halekulani

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:20 pm

two0one7 wrote:
halekulani wrote:

uh
tell that to india

Phelps has more medals than about 190 countries so far in these Olympics.

well he brought up the point about population. india has the second largest population in the entire world.
halekulani

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:24 pm

KB24@CL wrote:China would never win that many medals in weight lifting if the world elite would all be there...some of the worlds best had to withdraw because of injuries...

anyway, impressive for China...but you see they are having their most success in sports that are considered irrelevant in Europe and USA...sports that aren't really popular here nor do the countries try their best to develop those sports...

8 golds in badminton? 8 golds in shooting? 9 in weight lifting?

I consider myself a sports freak...I watch pretty much everything and among my friends, I'malways considered a freak that knows everything and every athlete in every sports..lol

I couldn't name you a SINGLE athlete from badminton, shooting or weight lifting...I couldn't name you ONE NAME out of those 3 areas...that's gonna show how much attention these sports get here...

wow
as big of a sports freak that you are, you sure spend a lot of time discrediting the validity of other sports.

wah, just because the US/europe isn't competing must mean that their competition is trash. unbelievable elitism.
halekulani

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:59 pm

I guess I'll just have to respect your opinion and disagree with it. You are entitled to it in the end I still believe that who you do overall as a nation shows dominance. China's gold totals are outstanding to say the least but in many of the sports such as Gymnastics and Swimming ther difference between Gold, Silver, Bronze and 4th place can be percentage points. You have fun in your defence of CHina and its greatness I'll still take what the US has done so far (and thats with choking away two of the events we were atleast equal favorites in the mens/womens 100m).
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby halekulani on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:26 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I guess I'll just have to respect your opinion and disagree with it. You are entitled to it in the end I still believe that who you do overall as a nation shows dominance. China's gold totals are outstanding to say the least but in many of the sports such as Gymnastics and Swimming ther difference between Gold, Silver, Bronze and 4th place can be percentage points.

if you believe what you do overall shows dominance, how is having more golds in more sports not more dominant?

and whatever you just wrote about differences being percentage points doesn't even make sense.
halekulani

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:48 pm

halekulani wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I guess I'll just have to respect your opinion and disagree with it. You are entitled to it in the end I still believe that who you do overall as a nation shows dominance. China's gold totals are outstanding to say the least but in many of the sports such as Gymnastics and Swimming ther difference between Gold, Silver, Bronze and 4th place can be percentage points.

if you believe what you do overall shows dominance, how is having more golds in more sports not more dominant?

and whatever you just wrote about differences being percentage points doesn't even make sense.

like I said, you have your opinion and I have mine.

.01 was the difference in Phelps getting two golds or two silvers.

.01 was the differnce in Dana Torres getting a Silver instead of a gold. (She lost it on the start because her swim time was faster than everyone else)

.01 was the difference from Ian Crocker finshing in 4th place instead of 3rd

15.850 (i think) was the exact score Luikin and He had in the uneven bars yet Luikin got Silver

2.3 points kept the US Womens Gymnast from getting Gold (with only .125 being the difference on the Beam where not one of the CHinese girls were deducted what they should have been)

.025 the difference between Sacramone and Fei Cheng (Chi) in the Vault finals. This would be the one where the Chinese girl had the 2 major deductions that should have kept her out of the medal race all together but instead put her in 1st ahead of (yup you guessed it) the American.

0.4 the seperation between the Silver medalist Kohei (Japan) and 9th place Horton (USA) in the mens all around. (Put this in perspective Horton scored a 13.675, a horrible score, if he had score .41 which would have given him 14.06 he would be the Silver medalist)

I could look forever at the numbers and show that % in just those two events could have turned the medal count on its ears. We won't even talk about the other sports are that several prominent members of the US Olympic teams in a few different sports suffered some form of food related issues during these games. Again, say what you will I have my beliefs in what happened and what I think should be more valuable.
puffyusaf#2

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:46 am

halekulani wrote:

uh
tell that to india

just in case you didn't know

India is POOR. If they had money, their talents would be all over the olympics as well....but as a 3rd world developing nation they have other problems than to be good as sports.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:48 am

halekulani wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:China would never win that many medals in weight lifting if the world elite would all be there...some of the worlds best had to withdraw because of injuries...

anyway, impressive for China...but you see they are having their most success in sports that are considered irrelevant in Europe and USA...sports that aren't really popular here nor do the countries try their best to develop those sports...

I consider myself a sports freak...I watch pretty much everything and among my friends, I'malways considered a freak that knows everything and every athlete in every sports..lol

I couldn't name you a SINGLE athlete from badminton, shooting or weight lifting...I couldn't name you ONE NAME out of those 3 areas...that's gonna show how much attention these sports get here...

wow
as big of a sports freak that you are, you sure spend a lot of time discrediting the validity of other sports.

wah, just because the US/europe isn't competing must mean that their competition is trash. unbelievable elitism.

discrediting? did I discredit it? hmmm...how about no?

I just said those sports aren't relevant in Europe...that is fact. It doesn't mean those sports are trash, it just means they aren't actively trying to pursue those sports here which as a result means they are weak in those sports...

you should read and not try to interprete what I could have meant...because thats where failure starts...

KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:51 am

halekulani wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:

of course they should value the medals differently...and China so far has been far better than USA, no doubt. But if a team has 40 medals and only 2 gold and the other team has 4 gold medals and nothing else...its pointless to have the team with 4 gold medal ahead...

as someone said they need a 3-2-1 counting for the medals...both factors need to be considered in order to make a good judjement.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby halekulani on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:13 am

KB24@CL wrote:
halekulani wrote:

uh
tell that to india

just in case you didn't know

India is POOR. If they had money, their talents would be all over the olympics as well....but as a 3rd world developing nation they have other problems than to be good as sports.

just in case you didn't know, your original objective was population, not money.
halekulani

Postby halekulani on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:25 am

KB24@CL wrote:
halekulani wrote:

wow

discrediting? did I discredit it? hmmm...how about no?

I just said those sports aren't relevant in Europe...that is fact. It doesn't mean those sports are trash, it just means they aren't actively trying to pursue those sports here which as a result means they are weak in those sports...

you should read and not try to interprete what I could have meant...because thats where failure starts...

yeah so what was the whole point of the post?
"China would never win that many medals in weight lifting if the world elite would all be there" - what, not worthy enough competition?
"china was impressive but....sports that are considered irrelevant...nor do the countries try their best to develop those sports..." - who cares if those countries don't play those sports? is this some kind of excuse to NOT have as many golds? china only won because you don't try to develop those sports? because that would imply that you could have those golds, but you don't spend the effort developing people to compete at that level. rather than appreciating the efforts that other countries' participants have put into the sport, you've merely shrugged off their wins because you don't know about it and would rather type about how your country didn't "develop those sports" instead of praising X country for winning the gold in Y sport.

awesome.
no i read what you wrote just fine.
halekulani

Postby halekulani on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:33 am

KB24@CL wrote:
halekulani wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:

of course they should value the medals differently...and China so far has been far better than USA, no doubt. But if a team has 40 medals and only 2 gold and the other team has 4 gold medals and nothing else...its pointless to have the team with 4 gold medal ahead...

as someone said they need a 3-2-1 counting for the medals...both factors need to be considered in order to make a good judjement.

if you assign point values to medals, it's no longer a total medal count.
halekulani

Postby trodgers on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:15 am

halekulani wrote:
trodgers wrote:Yeah, the badminton medals should put things in perspective.

Others that make me laugh:

Shooting.

Trampoline! wtf?!?!

yeah
because obviously the sports the US can only compete in are the only things that matter.

"I don't have a clue what I'm talking about." That's cool. There was no trampoline in the Olympics back in the day. It's a kid's game. Shooting and archery I'd consider doing away with if it weren't for the fact that they are actually really in line with the original sense of the games.

I'm now waiting for your defense of trampoline. Please, enlighten me.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:16 am

halekulani, I don't know what your problem is, but you're sounding pretty ridiculous in this thread.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:57 am

trodgers wrote:halekulani, I don't know what your problem is, but you're sounding pretty ridiculous in this thread.

Second.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:30 pm

According to Dan Wetzel the USA's dominance over the games are over....period.

I am really beginning to believe that these writers have an inability to actually form a thought without a distinct taste or hint of overreaction. The 47 gold medal count for China is AWESOME and they have proven to be able to step up in critical moments.

China has always done well in Gymnastics, Diving, Table Tennis etc. In fact in the Athens games China had 32 Golds (USA 36), 17 silver (USA 39), 14 bronze (USA 27) for a total of 63 (USA 102). In four years China has vaulted to 47g (US 31), 17s (US36), 25B (US35) for totals of China 89 and US 102 with two days to go.

China USA
GOLDS SILVER BRONZE GOLDS SILVER BRONZE
04- 32 17 14 36 39 27
08- 47 17 25 31 36 35
Diff +15 even +11 -5 -3 +8
Overall CHINA= +26 USA= EVEN

Now, China's Olympics have been superb they have competed in nearly every area. Can someone explain how all of a sudden they become the overall favorites to dominate for years to come? I know that most American writers basically despise the Olympics and only cover it because it is there jobs but can they really be so transparent? Has the Chinese all of a sudden started breeding athletes or does this writer not know that this has been done in China for decades? These olympics have really shown me that the US sports writers may be some of the worst on the planet.

U.S. will be rocked by China’s heavy medals

BEIJING – Across the Chinese media, the story has hit saturation coverage. China, once mocked as “the weaklings of Asia,” is going to win what it calls the total medal count for the Beijing Games.

China, like most of the world, values gold medals above all and only counts them in the standings. With 47 and counting, its total dwarfs all other nations. The United States is second with 31.

In the U.S., all medals are counted, so the Americans still hold a lead (102-89 after Friday’s competition) by that standard. The U.S. is trying to retain the total medal supremacy (by its count) it’s held since boycotting the 1980 Moscow Olympics. The U.S. has won the most golds since 1996

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?s ... &type=lgns
puffyusaf#2

Previous

Return to Team USA