Tue. 8/5 - USA vs. Australia - Predictions/Comments

Postby jlkr on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:47 am

The Americans were 20-33 from the FT line and 3-18 from the arc. That had something to do with the final score being so close, I should think. Also the team looks tired of the exhibition circuit and they can't wait for the real games to begin.

We've seen how the Americans will be defensed. Opponents will pack the paint and dare the Americans to shoot over them. On offense, they'll drag it into a half court game, protect the heck out of the ball and get back quickly to prevent the fast breaks. 20-33 from the line and 3-18 from the arc won't do it against Spain.
User avatar
jlkr

 
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: your friendly neighborhood bar

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:29 pm

I think the Americans are just ready for the real games to start they truely seemed disinterested in this game. Also, is it me or is CP3 really having problems gaurding quick gaurds? The last two games he has been playing Melo(esque) defense.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
User avatar
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 30814
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Making folks sexy with dancin'

Postby Weezy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Just finished watching the game. The US looked bored in the 1st half, that's why it was close, the intensity on defense and the quick offense was not there. In the 2nd half Australia believed they could win and that's why it remained close even when the US stepped it up. But then guys started making plays, LeBron and Wade scoring, Kobe playing good d, and the US was fine. They were up 16 with a minute and a half to go, it wasn't THAT close.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Postby kray28 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 pm

Is it me, or did Wade get away with more than a few travels?

I thought they called that stuff close in International ball>
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21242
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby jonelo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:06 pm

georgirion wrote:hahaha

USA won by only 11 points to Australia. :man10:

I look forward to seeing the game Spain - USA :boxing1:


I am spaniard ;) and I hope an analysis much deeper than a "Ha Ha Ha". This is a forum for a professional team of U.S.A, and a subforums of the U.S.A national team, full of fans and people of the USA. The respect we ask from the rest of the world for us, we must also give the U.S. team. In addition, a true basketball fan wants to see a good level of competition and enjoy watching good basketball.

The U.S. team needed more preparation games with teams at a high level. Losing to learn, that the players have talent and intelligence to learn and improve the international aspects of the game to a good level.

Over the past two years the team has only played two games against good teams internationally, Russia and Australia. Argentina in games of the americas was not a high-level team, were not Ginobilli, Nocioni and Scola, this is like a team the Lakers without Kobe, Pau and Odon :mhihi: .

In attack static, is still a bit like a 1 versus 5, do not move the ball as the best teams of FIBA basketball , and the zone is still a big problem for the attack of USA . In transitions, in a fast attack and defense with pressure throughout the field is the best team, the quality of players allows it but also have limitations in the defence with the pick and roll.

I think that maybe the strategy of Mike Krzyzewski and Colangelo is the empowering aspects of which are better suited to the game they know in the NBA, accepting that it is not possible and realistic play the same style of the best teams of FIBA basketball without strong work and many games , during many years . This not is realistic for NBA players of the states .

The team in the last world championship, with just the Kobe plus, there could be overtaken Greece in the semifinals playing at the same level, we've seen Kobe deciding games in the team this year.

In any case, the percentage of shooting of the team today has been dreadful, has been a bad game below the middle of each individual player. It is not the level of the team . But in this competition you can not have a bad day in the second round with teams like Greece, Argentina , Spain... or Australia with Bogut .

Just make sure you come back here during the medal ceremony.....when we're collecting the gold.


You can see on Youtube that happened the last time that Spain team expect U.S.A team in a final . I wish U.S.A. team there instead of the 300 Spartans , I wish see two USA - Spain and a final USA - Spain . The end is far , both teams have a difficult road there . Enjoy you the games day to day , without many dreams because sometimes the dreams can converted in nightmares for any team.

That's their right. When we smash Spain, we can go and talk trash in the Spanish Speaking Forum.


Well, for the rest of the world fight against USA is like David against Goliath, a country of 300 million inhabitants inventor of basketball, against countries that have fewer inhabitants than Oregon - Lithuania - Los Angeles - Greece - or California - Argentina or Australia. Spain only has a bit more people that California - 50 million -. It's a miracle that some of these countries can make a team capable of winning a USA.


In the coming decades does not will change, the human potential of the USA Basketball . USA will be able to make in the same year several teams individually - theoretically - better or at least the same level as the best teams in the world. I say "theoretically" because a great player in the NBA does not always have the same value in the FIBA basketball


This might be different if the European Union countries playing in one team, but this will not happen in the next 30 years. Or if the Chinese are taken as a national sport the basketball;).

And sorry for my english :mhihi:
jonelo

 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:56 am

Postby basketboy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm

jonelo wrote:Well, for the rest of the world fight against USA is like David against Goliath, a country of 300 million inhabitants inventor of basketball, against countries that have fewer inhabitants than Oregon - Lithuania - Los Angeles - Greece - or California - Argentina or Australia. Spain only has a bit more people that California - 50 million -. It's a miracle that some of these countries can make a team capable of winning a USA.


i wouldnt go so far as to say that.. the number of people in a country =/= the quality of the game being played. otherwise, china would own us all every year.

i dont think its a david and goliath theory either.. the US hasnt won anything since the year 2000. its not like the US overwhelmingly kills everyone, every year, and the likes of greece, spain, and argentina are just little boys, hoping to get off a shot.
User avatar
basketboy

 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 3:19 pm

Postby Legendary on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:41 pm

jonelo wrote:
Legendary wrote:Just make sure you come back here during the medal ceremony.....when we're collecting the gold.


You can see on Youtube that happened the last time that Spain team expect U.S.A team in a final . I wish U.S.A. team there instead of the 300 Spartans , I wish see two USA - Spain and a final USA - Spain . The end is far , both teams have a difficult road there . Enjoy you the games day to day , without many dreams because sometimes the dreams can converted in nightmares for any team.


Yeah, well that was then..this is now...a completely different U.S. team. There's no need to go research previous games.

I just hope some of these people who have the audacity to make snide comments over a meaningless exhibition game come back when they see this team determined and ready to do what needs to be done.

That's all I ask.

Kobe will not be denied twice. He already was denied an NBA championship, and I'm sure he'll be damned if he is embarrassed by being denied a gold medal in these Olympics. With that alone, I'm confident that he will lead this team, and get the job done.

But I'll withhold my arrogance. You're right, there's no telling what could happen. But I didn't go over to the Spanish board talking crap (I'm not referring to you, but the other guy who came in here talking about this game).

We'll see what happens, and I hope he shows up with the same exuberance and glee.
User avatar
Legendary

 
Posts: 8815
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Temple of DOOM

Postby koolkobe on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

im sorry if it was already posted but i did not want to see the comments on the game

does anybody know when the game will be replayed?

Thanks :jam2:
User avatar
koolkobe

 
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:18 pm

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Game time baby!
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18061
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Mills is just blowing by CP13.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18061
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:43 pm

Great D by Kob'.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18061
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby LDR on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:17 pm

two0one7 wrote:Mills is just blowing by CP13.


IMO, Paul would be lucky to be called an average defender. He gambles like crazy, which results in a couple of steals leading a lot of average fans to think he's a good defender.
Image
User avatar
LDR

 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:53 pm

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:22 pm

LDR wrote:
two0one7 wrote:Mills is just blowing by CP13.


IMO, Paul would be lucky to be called an average defender. He gambles like crazy, which results in a couple of steals leading a lot of average fans to think he's a good defender.
\

Yeah, its been statistically shown numerous times that CP3 is not a good on ball defender. He gets a lot of steals, plays the passing lanes well but on ball D isn't his strong point.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18061
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Postby A. Benbow on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:37 am

Legendary wrote:
jonelo wrote:
Legendary wrote:Just make sure you come back here during the medal ceremony.....when we're collecting the gold.


You can see on Youtube that happened the last time that Spain team expect U.S.A team in a final . I wish U.S.A. team there instead of the 300 Spartans , I wish see two USA - Spain and a final USA - Spain . The end is far , both teams have a difficult road there . Enjoy you the games day to day , without many dreams because sometimes the dreams can converted in nightmares for any team.


Yeah, well that was then..this is now...a completely different U.S. team. There's no need to go research previous games.

I just hope some of these people who have the audacity to make snide comments over a meaningless exhibition game come back when they see this team determined and ready to do what needs to be done.

That's all I ask.

Kobe will not be denied twice. He already was denied an NBA championship, and I'm sure he'll be damned if he is embarrassed by being denied a gold medal in these Olympics. With that alone, I'm confident that he will lead this team, and get the job done.

But I'll withhold my arrogance. You're right, there's no telling what could happen. But I didn't go over to the Spanish board talking crap (I'm not referring to you, but the other guy who came in here talking about this game).

We'll see what happens, and I hope he shows up with the same exuberance and glee.


Luckily the team USA knows better than you. It´s a good thing yo go and research previous games because there you can find some useful information. There´s more to learn in that game against Greece than in this last one againts Australia.

This team is just slightly better than the 06 one. That team could have get it done, and this team can loose, because in the final rounds anyone can loose a match. This is not a seven games series. You have to be undefeated in the final rounds. And thats not so easy. You´ve got to have a litle bit of luck.

So don´t count just on these exhibition games to be so optimistic because the 06 squad was also crushing everybody through his way to the semifinals. This squad will probably do the same. Then the real tournament will start. Hope to see you there and hope we´ll have an olympic champion in the Lakers next year (aint gonna be Kobe, homie :man12: )
A. Benbow

 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Arrigorriaga

Postby basketboy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 am

A. Benbow wrote:
Legendary wrote:
jonelo wrote:
Legendary wrote:Just make sure you come back here during the medal ceremony.....when we're collecting the gold.


You can see on Youtube that happened the last time that Spain team expect U.S.A team in a final . I wish U.S.A. team there instead of the 300 Spartans , I wish see two USA - Spain and a final USA - Spain . The end is far , both teams have a difficult road there . Enjoy you the games day to day , without many dreams because sometimes the dreams can converted in nightmares for any team.


Yeah, well that was then..this is now...a completely different U.S. team. There's no need to go research previous games.

I just hope some of these people who have the audacity to make snide comments over a meaningless exhibition game come back when they see this team determined and ready to do what needs to be done.

That's all I ask.

Kobe will not be denied twice. He already was denied an NBA championship, and I'm sure he'll be damned if he is embarrassed by being denied a gold medal in these Olympics. With that alone, I'm confident that he will lead this team, and get the job done.

But I'll withhold my arrogance. You're right, there's no telling what could happen. But I didn't go over to the Spanish board talking crap (I'm not referring to you, but the other guy who came in here talking about this game).

We'll see what happens, and I hope he shows up with the same exuberance and glee.


Luckily the team USA knows better than you. It´s a good thing yo go and research previous games because there you can find some useful information. There´s more to learn in that game against Greece than in this last one againts Australia.

This team is just slightly better than the 06 one. That team could have get it done, and this team can loose, because in the final rounds anyone can loose a match. This is not a seven games series. You have to be undefeated in the final rounds. And thats not so easy. You´ve got to have a litle bit of luck.

So don´t count just on these exhibition games to be so optimistic because the 06 squad was also crushing everybody through his way to the semifinals. This squad will probably do the same. Then the real tournament will start. Hope to see you there and hope we´ll have an olympic champion in the Lakers next year (aint gonna be Kobe, homie :man12: )


slightly better huh? team USA add's the current best player in the world, and only gets slightly better? do you think chris paul has grown as a player? lebron? wade is back and better than ever, dwight howard is bigger and stronger, deron williams is killing.. but youre right, only slightly better.

no one is being optimistic about the exhibition games, its you spain fan boys that come on here talking crap after every game about how we didnt beat our opposition by 50, so we have no chance against you guys.

so how about you guys all stop talking crap, until the teams actually play against eachother - then, and only then, come see how much crap you have to talk.
User avatar
basketboy

 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 3:19 pm

Postby A. Benbow on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:26 pm

basketboy wrote:
A. Benbow wrote:
Luckily the team USA knows better than you. It´s a good thing yo go and research previous games because there you can find some useful information. There´s more to learn in that game against Greece than in this last one againts Australia.

This team is just slightly better than the 06 one. That team could have get it done, and this team can loose, because in the final rounds anyone can loose a match. This is not a seven games series. You have to be undefeated in the final rounds. And thats not so easy. You´ve got to have a litle bit of luck.

So don´t count just on these exhibition games to be so optimistic because the 06 squad was also crushing everybody through his way to the semifinals. This squad will probably do the same. Then the real tournament will start. Hope to see you there and hope we´ll have an olympic champion in the Lakers next year (aint gonna be Kobe, homie :man12: )


slightly better huh? team USA add's the current best player in the world, and only gets slightly better? do you think chris paul has grown as a player? lebron? wade is back and better than ever, dwight howard is bigger and stronger, deron williams is killing.. but youre right, only slightly better.

no one is being optimistic about the exhibition games, its you spain fan boys that come on here talking crap after every game about how we didnt beat our opposition by 50, so we have no chance against you guys.

so how about you guys all stop talking crap, until the teams actually play against eachother - then, and only then, come see how much crap you have to talk.


Relax man and tell why are I talking crap. I´ve told you that this team can win it all, as well as the 06 one could. Is this talk crap? And don´t tell me about individual players because that´s not the point. It´s not about having Kobe, or the youngsters being better. It´s about growing as a team. And I do think this team is better than the 06 one. But just slighly better.

And if you think it is waaaay better, then you can defend your opinion, but please stop being so big mouth.
A. Benbow

 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Arrigorriaga

Postby jonelo on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Well, is the natural evolution , a team with young players is always better with the time . Even the Amoroto Saskibaloia :mhihi:
jonelo

 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:56 am

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:04 pm

It is still the same game plan to beat USA. Pack the middle defensively and force USA to shoot. And on offense, no turnovers, backdoor and slash cuts to the basket, and forget the offensive rebound and get back on defense quickly.
User avatar
jimbo327

 
Posts: 14919
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: Where Else?

Postby LDR on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:07 pm

jimbo327 wrote:It is still the same game plan to beat USA. Pack the middle defensively and force USA to shoot. And on offense, no turnovers, backdoor and slash cuts to the basket, and forget the offensive rebound and get back on defense quickly.


Agreed, and on offense take a bunch of threes.
Image
User avatar
LDR

 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:53 pm

Postby Legendary on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:04 pm

A. Benbow wrote:
Legendary wrote:
jonelo wrote:
Legendary wrote:Just make sure you come back here during the medal ceremony.....when we're collecting the gold.


You can see on Youtube that happened the last time that Spain team expect U.S.A team in a final . I wish U.S.A. team there instead of the 300 Spartans , I wish see two USA - Spain and a final USA - Spain . The end is far , both teams have a difficult road there . Enjoy you the games day to day , without many dreams because sometimes the dreams can converted in nightmares for any team.


Yeah, well that was then..this is now...a completely different U.S. team. There's no need to go research previous games.

I just hope some of these people who have the audacity to make snide comments over a meaningless exhibition game come back when they see this team determined and ready to do what needs to be done.

That's all I ask.

Kobe will not be denied twice. He already was denied an NBA championship, and I'm sure he'll be damned if he is embarrassed by being denied a gold medal in these Olympics. With that alone, I'm confident that he will lead this team, and get the job done.

But I'll withhold my arrogance. You're right, there's no telling what could happen. But I didn't go over to the Spanish board talking crap (I'm not referring to you, but the other guy who came in here talking about this game).

We'll see what happens, and I hope he shows up with the same exuberance and glee.


Luckily the team USA knows better than you. It´s a good thing yo go and research previous games because there you can find some useful information. There´s more to learn in that game against Greece than in this last one againts Australia.

This team is just slightly better than the 06 one. That team could have get it done, and this team can loose, because in the final rounds anyone can loose a match. This is not a seven games series. You have to be undefeated in the final rounds. And thats not so easy. You´ve got to have a litle bit of luck.

So don´t count just on these exhibition games to be so optimistic because the 06 squad was also crushing everybody through his way to the semifinals. This squad will probably do the same. Then the real tournament will start. Hope to see you there and hope we´ll have an olympic champion in the Lakers next year (aint gonna be Kobe, homie :man12: )


I said we won't see what this U.S. team can do until the games actually count. Why would I be optimistic about a poor performance against Australia? I can only hope your Spanish team thinks the same way you do and underestimates us based off this one game.

And if you believe this team is only slightly better than 06, you sir are in for a rude awakening. All of our younger guys have improved, and a man on a mission by the name of Kobe is on the squad. That alone is enough to put this team more than a few notches above the 06 team.

If anyone, it's you who is the delusional one. Especially if you think this squad has shown all that they can do.

I'll just add your name to the list of people I want to see back in here when the medal ceremony rolls around and Spain is taking home the Silver or Bronze.

I can't believe people are runnin' up in here with this madness. :man10:
User avatar
Legendary

 
Posts: 8815
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Temple of DOOM

Postby Kenrae on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:14 am

LDR wrote:
jimbo327 wrote:It is still the same game plan to beat USA. Pack the middle defensively and force USA to shoot. And on offense, no turnovers, backdoor and slash cuts to the basket, and forget the offensive rebound and get back on defense quickly.


Agreed, and on offense take a bunch of threes.


Disagreed. Against this team, I'd attack the middle like crazy. You are thin inside, taking Howard or even Bosh out of the game would be quite important. Besides, failed threes produce long rebounds, which can mean a fast transition for USA.
Kenrae

 
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:45 am
Location: Barcelona

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:09 pm

^ That true too. Team USA is very small down low. And when those true Euro 7 footers start rolling to the basket, I think that will cause a lot of problems for the Team USA. To beat USA, they would need to make a lot of 3's as well. So it's a lot of factors needed to be right for them to have a chance to beat us. If we had Shaq, we would win the gold easily. Size still matters.
User avatar
jimbo327

 
Posts: 14919
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: Where Else?

Previous

Return to Team USA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.