Unselfish Team USA follows LeBron's lead

Too Starry...

Postby gcclaker on Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:25 pm

crucifido wrote:Going that route - when it comes to building these teams for the international tournaments, I think the US needs to look more to 2 or 3 superstars surrounded by solid role-playing types of players. Going the "awesome on paper" route with these teams just isn't/doesn't and won't work.

Agreed... Like the saying goes "Too many cooks spoil the broth."
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby KevDog on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:06 pm

crucifido wrote:
That's right KevDog, failure is due to people being "after you", it has nothing to do with people (regardless of color, something you seem pretty focused on - which is sad in tis own right - but I digress) not stepping up to be the professionals they claim to be.

A. You're barking up the wrong tree.
B. You conveniently ignore the uncomfortable, for you, obvious
There are some serious "NON"-Fans on this web site
KevDog

Postby crucifido on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:10 pm

That's right KevDog.

It figures right - after all I am against you.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby yong on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:29 pm

they lost because of lebron and wade. they thought they still have the whistles but they only realized that the whistles are on the international referees after the match. the referees literally "bleep" them
yong

Postby Luigi10 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:36 pm

Kobe should play on Italy's national team, since it seems more and more obvious that he is hated by almost everyone.
Luigi10

Postby Barnstable on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:58 pm

It's been proven time and time again, gathering a bunch of great individual players together won't beat a team built with players that know there role and compliment one another.

Take note Owners GM's and US team selection committees.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby la3346 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:19 pm

So you're saying you wouldn't take a lineup of Howard, Brand, Lebron, Carmelo and Wade for your "NBA" team?
la3346

Postby Barnstable on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:23 pm

la3346 wrote:So you're saying you wouldn't take a lineup of Howard, Brand, Lebron, Carmelo and Wade for your "NBA" team?

I'm saying you consider how players complement one another and fill needs on your team before going for big names. They should have never dropped Bowen and should have invited Artest for instance.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby cthroatgtr on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:39 pm

la3346 wrote:So you're saying you wouldn't take a lineup of Howard, Brand, Lebron, Carmelo and Wade for your "NBA" team?

It won't necessarily work. Prime scorers are comfortable with a certain number of shots. You also need guys that set picks, rebound and play defense. I think Phil Jackson is a coach that has understood that concept, which is why his best teams only had a few superstars ever. Then surround the rest with energy, hustle, defense and the little things. Robert Horry has 6 rings because he did the little things. Heck the Sac Queens had more overall talent but couldn't get past the Lakers. Yeah Shaq/Kobe had a lot to do with it but I recall Fox shutting down Peja one year and Robert Horry had the miracle three another.

I believe this is why attempts to buy championships rarely work. The Lakers with Malone and Payton or the Yankees now. The Yankees did their run by building within and now they keep trying to plug holes. The Lakers 3 peat was built on 2 stars and role players.

Team USA needs to learn this quickly. They started on the right path but then got caught up in the bling. Somewhere they forgot to include a designated shooter and designated shut-down defender. Two players that could have helped with the Greece game.
cthroatgtr

Postby crucifixion on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:49 pm

crucifixion wrote:The funny thing is, no matter what people in denver, cleveland, or miami want to say is, this was no where near the best players we have to offer. For various reasons, these people didn't play, but if they did, we would've destroyed everyone:

Kobe
Shaq
KG
Duncan
Artest
Allen
Billups
Pierce
Marion
Stoudemire

I just rattled off 10 people of the top of my head that are better than any of the players that went to Japan. The only iffy's are obviously melo/lbj/wade, but you can make an argument that every one of those players listed above are better than those three.

And then other players that could have helped:
Odom
Redd
AI
Bibby
and of course, Al Harrington :mhihi:

But seriously, that first set of 10 that I ran off all had their legitimate or gay reasons not to go and thats why we lost. We don't love our country that much and thats the bottom line. And those players are right for not going.

Take Kobe for example...say the Lakers made it to the finals this year. Then his knee is really hurting him. Do you think he would get knee surgery before Game 1? Ofcourse not. He would wait till after the playoffs.

So then, with that logic, why didn't he wait till after the World Championships in Japan to get his knee surgery done? Becuase if did, then he would be out 6-8 weeks from now, which means he would miss parts of training camp and it would take the first 3 weeks of the season for him to get back into shape. So to Kobe, the NBA (and training camp) is more important than USA gold.

But you know what, we're americans and we work for $$$ only. And if I was Kobe, I'd do the same thing. I'd be like, I'd rather miss Japan, than have the Lakers start the season 3-12 without me because that might be too big of a hole for this young team to climb out of

One more thing I'd like to add...we will constantly be sending our second best out there until either a) the monetary prize of the olympics outweighs the money from the NBA or b) we put our American pride over our love of money. I mean, you have people who didn't want to represent their country because they were getting married in the summer. OK dude, seriously, those mo fos make a gazillion dollars...they can easily a)change the date of the wedding or b)hire a wedding planner to handle everything so all the dude has to do is fly over say "Fo' Sho" and then they are married. Simple as that

Obviously neither of those will happen. And you can see it when people like Shaq say he doesn't want to go to the Olympics cuz he has already won gold once and now its time for everyone else to get a chance.

What is Shaq saying about winning gold? Some kind of freak show at the zoo that everyone should go see? Would Shaq, after winning his first NBA title say, OK I'm going to sit out this year (2001) so that the other teams in the NBA can get the ring?

Of course not. We as Americans value the NBA title more than the Gold. And now we are pushing our nose way in the sky by saying international rules are gay and stuff like that. Bottom line is, we aren't going to care until the money is increased, or the only way our pride will get affected is if Argentia and Spain and the likes all join the NBA and they win the NBA championship. Then you'll see that we'll put our best team together. Otherwise, all of this is just considered an extended training camp.
Odom Light: Less filling, Wastes great
crucifixion

Postby yong on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:31 pm

man some of you guys are truly patriots. not sure how you guys feel cause you are americans. but from an outsider's view, the ... nba young "superstars" like lebronze james and ESP DWAYNE"BLEEP" WADE are effing arrogant, cocky. they made it sound like they would win with ease. imprudence.. I am just a little surprised that lebronze and stein's grandson haven't realized that they have their games thanks to the refs. so james and wade think they are better than kobe and KG? wow..
yong

Postby Basketball Fan on Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:06 pm

Luigi10 wrote:Kobe should play on Italy's national team, since it seems more and more obvious that he is hated by almost everyone.

In the USA? Or do you mean the world cuz then Italy would apply too.
Basketball Fan

Postby GuRu on Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:25 pm

Satan wrote:People behave improperly in Open Court.

Somebody had to say it.

Keep speaking the truth Satan.
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby flexxdzl on Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:28 pm

no_dont wrote:I am not trying to be sarcastic, but after seeing the Euro teams, I am actually feeling better about Vlad signing. The Euro guys are clearly tougher and play way more physical than most americans. PJ/KOBE/Vlad= championship

Vlad is a good addition to this team..he speads the floor and makes teams pay for the double team..
flexxdzl

Postby Luigi10 on Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:40 am

Basketball Fan wrote:
Luigi10 wrote:Kobe should play on Italy's national team, since it seems more and more obvious that he is hated by almost everyone.

In the USA? Or do you mean the world cuz then Italy would apply too.

OK, everyone here in the USA who is not an LAL fan
Luigi10

Postby Startrex on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:29 pm

GuRu wrote:
Satan wrote:People behave improperly in Open Court.

Somebody had to say it.

Keep speaking the truth Satan.

Many cant handle the truth. :man12:
It's surprising to ask Satan to tell the truth. :mhihi:
Purple and 24K Gold
Startrex

Postby ladam24 on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:16 pm

Found this quote today, if anyone in interested.

"To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly." Dirk Nowitzki on Kobe Bryant
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby Barnstable on Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:15 am

ladam24 wrote:Found this quote today, if anyone in interested.

"To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly." Dirk Nowitzki on Kobe Bryant

True, but I'm still surprised he said it :man3:
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Team USA