Unselfish Team USA follows LeBron's lead

Postby strikemode14 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:59 am

I actually responded to his article..this is what I wrote...

Dear Brian Windhorst



I just wanted to reply to your article. Well there are a few points I disagree with. First the most obvious is if Kobe was on the team the USA team would be better. That shouldn't even come into question. Just for the fact Kobe would torch the zone defense where this USA team struggled. I think Kobe's role would have been similar to Melo's which was to be the best scorer and leader of the team which would have helped. Plus he would have given us defense pressure and overall championship leadership. I also question why you failed to mention Chris Paul when he was our leading assts man in the preliminaries. Hope to hear from you soon
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou


]
User avatar
strikemode14
Forum Manager
 
Posts: 22095
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:04 pm
Location: savannah

Postby abeer3 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:30 am

aticus wrote:I did e-mail him. I told him Team USA needed Kobe for both scoring and defense. This was his reply:

"You are entitled to your opinion, but I question
whether you actually watched the game. It was team
defense on the high pick-and-roll that beat them.

It doesn't matter about Kobe, that was a free opinion.
Three times he's gotten off playing for Team USA, I
highly douby he'll play in 2008.

Brian"

Sounds like a sour-graper to me.


:man10:

wow, this guy clearly has an agenda.

all these journalists started writing these fluff pieces three games too early.

eat it, brian.

sincerely,

reality
abeer3

 
Posts: 10356
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Postby no_dont on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:11 am

Oh well.
HO-BE
User avatar
no_dont

 
Posts: 8956
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Somewhere rolling around in my wheelchair

Postby DMK on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:08 am

Shamefull display. I watched the game last night for the most part, and the intensity was not there. Once greece made a run, NOONE on usa stepped up to kill them... noone shut the door on em before they realized "hey, usa are vulnerable right now... they are beatable".

Hate to sound like a homer.... but there is absolutely NO DOUBT that had Kobe Bryant been playing, USA would have won....handidly.

Ive seen dude dice up double teams from some of the best NBA Teams in tougher situations then greece, and with the game on the line... you could put any NBA great with Kobe and Kobe is still gonna do whatever it takes to win the game. Again, noone on this team has a killer instinct, except Melo and even he is not on the talent Level or mentality Kobe has shown for so long.

As good as Lebron and Melo and Wade are at a early age... they dont have "IT" to get dirty... to get nasty... to KILL the opponents on offense and Defense. Hell i seen Vince Carter fight harder in the Olympics then anyone ive seen from this team.

I hope Kobe took this loss personnally, and even more so i hope our so called superstars go back and watch Dream Team one and the fear the made SURE they instilled in each team by NEVER taking a play off.

this team needs Kobe.... and until we see Kobe in international play, id expect more rolling over by our youngsters. :mad1:
Image

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
User avatar
DMK
Clublakers Analyst
 
Posts: 18884
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:10 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:13 am

As much as I wanted the US to win this tourney, I am happy about the silver lining of not having to hear about Kobe messing up this team's chemistry in 2008. Its clear they need someone to lean on in crunch time and we all know Kobe is up to that task.

Gold Medal In '08! :jam2:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
User avatar
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 13091
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: http://twitter.com/hosesway

Re: Unselfish Team USA follows LeBron's lead

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:38 am

nesli wrote:
Unselfish Team USA follows LeBron's lead
Kobe Bryant missing as Americans repair image
SAITAMA, JAPAN - The expansive train platform nestled alongside the Saitama Super Arena on the northern outskirts of sprawling Tokyo is truly the gateway to the FIBA World Championship.

The vast majority of the spectators arrive via train, and they are greeted with a wave of advertisements.

The most unavoidable is a giant sticker affixed to the floor just past the turnstiles that thousands of feet and eyeballs must cross every day of the mega-tournament.

It is a Nike ad, splayed with the innocuous question: ``LeBron or Kobe?''

It is part of a promotion the shoe giant is running that offers fans a free gift tied to one of the players and is aimed at drawing visitors to the company's Japanese basketball Web site. But, to a more trained Team USA follower, it also might be a basketball metaphor.

Kobe Bryant isn't in Japan with his fellow national team members. Knee surgery last month knocked him out, and he has been recovering and doing charitable work this summer in Los Angeles, though Nike will bring him to Asia soon for promotional work.

With the Americans butchering opponents and rebranding the tarnished image of USA Basketball, is it possible Kobe's absence advanced the team's cause?

The ownership of this edition of the Dream Team quickly ended up in the hands of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony. The overall attitude is really a product of James and Wade, who have founded an unselfish style that is shocking the international basketball world that long ago tagged American stars as snobbish and self-centered.

It was Wade, owner of an NBA Finals Most Valuable Player trophy and a forthcoming ring, who openly volunteered to come off the bench. It is a move that has proved to be brilliant; his entrance when the opposition is huffing and puffing almost always leads to a swing in the score.

The most recent example came Sunday against Australia. Wade ripped off the warm-ups with the score 12-12 and returned to the bench with the Americans up by 20.

Then there is James, whose willingness to share the ball is converting many new fans. He took a mere five shots in the win over Australia and repeatedly set up his teammates when he could have attempted a driving layup he surely would have finished -- or at least drawn a foul.

Amazingly, it has rubbed off. U.S. players are falling over themselves to share the glory as the ``Ugly American'' label starts to fray at the edges.

TNT analyst Steve Kerr wrote this in a column on Yahoo Sports: ``In many ways, James' play in this tournament epitomizes what looks like a revitalization of American basketball. He is helping establish an egoless chemistry.''

Others are expressing similar views.

``I'm surprised at how unselfishly they play,'' Australian guard C.J. Bruton said. ``Everyone likes to get their shots off; these guys get 17-20 shots a game in the NBA. This group takes the shots when they're open and shares the ball. In that way, you could compare them to Dream Team I and II.''

There is no doubt Bryant is one of the best players in the world. He owns three NBA titles and is coming off one of the most prolific scoring seasons in league history. His ability is unquestioned.

Were Bryant on Team USA, however, he probably would have been named a captain, if not the only captain, as one of the oldest and most experienced players. The team wouldn't necessarily have belonged to the three guns from the class of 2003, and the theme, as Bryant's game often suggests, might not have been to share before all else.

``It starts with me. Being the captain, if I'm out there passing up shots to get a better shot, it kind of rubs off on your teammates, and you can see that,'' James said. ``I'm not sure how having Kobe would've worked out. Kobe would've been a big part of our team.''

Kobe's role probably would have been what he does best: score. Wade and James are doing what they do best: lead unselfishly.

The Los Angeles Lakers and coach Phil Jackson tried to make Bryant a cog rather than the centerpiece in the playoffs against the Phoenix Suns. It almost worked, but the plan -- and Kobe -- fizzled in the end.

If Team USA steamrolls to a gold medal, how could the plan for the Olympics in Beijing in 2008 possibly differ from the strategy to allow Wade and James to wear the ``C'' and let them dictate play?

``Right now, we're the leaders,'' James said. ``And my teammates have done a great job following so far.''


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Windhorst can be reached at bwindhor@thebeaconjournal.com. Check out Windhorst's Cavaliers weblog at http://blogs.ohio.com/cavaliers_blog.

I hope kobe won't play for Team Usa. The hate is so strong.



`
`Right now, we're the leaders,'' James said. ``And my teammates have done a great job following so far.''



HA HA HA..lead team USA to a Loss...
User avatar
flexxdzl

 
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:30 am

Postby GoDukeLakerFan on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:04 am

Killer instinct is what it's all about. We all know (and LeBron knows) that he ain't got it. Team USA needs a real leader. Carmelo was clearly the best player on THIS team, but Kobe is above and beyond any one of them. Who shot 2 CRAZY threes to win the Pacific Division? Who shot two CRAZY buzzer beaters to beat Phoenix in the playoffs? Who else tallies up DOUBLE BUZZER BEATERS? Not Mike, not Bron, not Melo. There's only one four letter name that can help this team: K-O-B-E. It'll have the other team saying, "Oh X-X-X-X!"
User avatar
GoDukeLakerFan

 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:05 am

Cheese. Some of you people seem happy that USA lost. Umm, most of us live in the USA and I don't care if Kobe's on the team or not. I don't care if sport writers take a shot at him because USA is winning without him. My love of my country far outweighs my love (if you even want to call it that) for Kobe.

Basketball is a game, not a player.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Postby sticky on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:22 am

i live in toronto, canada and im a KOBE fan. NOT A LAKER FAN, NOT AN AMERICAN FAN. kobe would've taken them over the top! :jam2:

hope stern and whoever else is in charge of this team realize that iverson should've been added(not sure if they would've gotten gold) because he WANTED to play
KOBE 4 MVP!
User avatar
sticky

 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:27 am

Postby no_dont on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:03 am

Its clear to me
bron=melo=wade.
Melo was the only young gun to show, and that his game like ALL greats is condusive to physical play. I wish the NBA brought back some physicality. it would separate the REAL ballers. We all have seen KOBE dominate in physical style basketball
HO-BE
User avatar
no_dont

 
Posts: 8956
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Somewhere rolling around in my wheelchair

Postby 24scores on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:23 am

Savory Griddles wrote:Cheese. Some of you people seem happy that USA lost. Umm, most of us live in the USA and I don't care if Kobe's on the team or not. I don't care if sport writers take a shot at him because USA is winning without him. My love of my country far outweighs my love (if you even want to call it that) for Kobe.

Basketball is a game, not a player.


No That's not how it is at least not with me. I rooted for team USA the whole way. I cheered when Wade and Lebron made a good shot and I told myself "he'll pull out of it" when Melo had a bad shooting spell.

But the game is over and now we go back to being Laker fans and pointing out to all the Kobe haters that LeBron, Wade and Melo once again come home with the bronze at best.

I guarantee you no one from the USA is happy that team USA lost.
User avatar
24scores

 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:28 am

no_dont wrote:Its clear to me
bron=melo=wade.
Melo was the only young gun to show, and that his game like ALL greats is condusive to physical play. I wish the NBA brought back some physicality. it would separate the REAL ballers. We all have seen KOBE dominate in physical style basketball


Once again I will say Wade and bron are more liked..they are puffed up media hype in a weak conference...which makes people think they are super stars times 10..they are not! I think team USA would do better without them on it...Kobe and Ray allen is greater that bron and wade
User avatar
flexxdzl

 
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:30 am

Unselfish Team USA follows LeBron's lead

Postby Lord Johnny on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:34 am

a team with wade and lebron =


Image


a team with Kobe brings you the gold
User avatar
Lord Johnny
Clublakers Rep: Puerto Rico
 
Posts: 13028
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:06 am

Postby Barnstable on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:34 am

flexxdzl wrote:
no_dont wrote:Its clear to me
bron=melo=wade.
Melo was the only young gun to show, and that his game like ALL greats is condusive to physical play. I wish the NBA brought back some physicality. it would separate the REAL ballers. We all have seen KOBE dominate in physical style basketball


Once again I will say Wade and bron are more liked..they are puffed up media hype in a weak conference...which makes people think they are super stars times 10..they are not! I think team USA would do better without them on it...Kobe and Ray allen is greater that bron and wade


Co signed (especialy on Wade)
User avatar
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14186
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Queens NY

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:38 am

flexxdzl wrote:
no_dont wrote:Its clear to me
bron=melo=wade.
Melo was the only young gun to show, and that his game like ALL greats is condusive to physical play. I wish the NBA brought back some physicality. it would separate the REAL ballers. We all have seen KOBE dominate in physical style basketball


Once again I will say Wade and bron are more liked..they are puffed up media hype in a weak conference...which makes people think they are super stars times 10..they are not! I think team USA would do better without them on it...Kobe and Ray allen is greater that bron and wade


OK, I can roll with Kobe + Artest or something like that, but not Kobe and Allen.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Postby KevDog on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:02 pm

24scores wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:Cheese. Some of you people seem happy that USA lost. Umm, most of us live in the USA and I don't care if Kobe's on the team or not. I don't care if sport writers take a shot at him because USA is winning without him. My love of my country far outweighs my love (if you even want to call it that) for Kobe.

Basketball is a game, not a player.


No That's not how it is at least not with me. I rooted for team USA the whole way. I cheered when Wade and Lebron made a good shot and I told myself "he'll pull out of it" when Melo had a bad shooting spell.

But the game is over and now we go back to being Laker fans and pointing out to all the Kobe haters that LeBron, Wade and Melo once again come home with the bronze at best.

I guarantee you no one from the USA is happy that team USA lost.



On the contrary. I am very happy the USA lost. Patriotism is the last refuge of the immoral and weak of mind. I'll root for the noble and deserving regardless of their national affliation.


I wanted the USA team to lose as soon as it became apparent that the white dominated-seemingly patriotic media-was going to use any sucess of the national team to use their tired old saw of demonizing Kobe. When I saw LeBron fall, like a Tommish buffoon, into their act, it sealed the deal for me. Go Greece! Go Greece! Go Greece!
There are some serious "NON"-Fans on this web site
User avatar
KevDog

 
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Postby 24scores on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:22 pm

KevDog wrote:
24scores wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:Cheese. Some of you people seem happy that USA lost. Umm, most of us live in the USA and I don't care if Kobe's on the team or not. I don't care if sport writers take a shot at him because USA is winning without him. My love of my country far outweighs my love (if you even want to call it that) for Kobe.

Basketball is a game, not a player.


No That's not how it is at least not with me. I rooted for team USA the whole way. I cheered when Wade and Lebron made a good shot and I told myself "he'll pull out of it" when Melo had a bad shooting spell.

But the game is over and now we go back to being Laker fans and pointing out to all the Kobe haters that LeBron, Wade and Melo once again come home with the bronze at best.

I guarantee you no one from the USA is happy that team USA lost.



On the contrary. I am very happy the USA lost. Patriotism is the last refuge of the immoral and weak of mind. I'll root for the noble and deserving regardless of their national affliation.


I wanted the USA team to lose as soon as it became apparent that the white dominated-seemingly patriotic media-was going to use any sucess of the national team to use their tired old saw of demonizing Kobe. When I saw LeBron fall, like a Tommish buffoon, into their act, it sealed the deal for me. Go Greece! Go Greece! Go Greece!



Funny post. Calling LeBron a tom is pretty low. I don't really like how much hype he gets but I wouldn't go that far.

Anyway if you hate the USA as much as you seem to you should leave.

I'm sure you'll enjoy not being able to say things like you did in this thread.
User avatar
24scores

 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby KevDog on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:37 pm

24scores wrote:
KevDog wrote:
24scores wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:Cheese. Some of you people seem happy that USA lost. Umm, most of us live in the USA and I don't care if Kobe's on the team or not. I don't care if sport writers take a shot at him because USA is winning without him. My love of my country far outweighs my love (if you even want to call it that) for Kobe.

Basketball is a game, not a player.


No That's not how it is at least not with me. I rooted for team USA the whole way. I cheered when Wade and Lebron made a good shot and I told myself "he'll pull out of it" when Melo had a bad shooting spell.

But the game is over and now we go back to being Laker fans and pointing out to all the Kobe haters that LeBron, Wade and Melo once again come home with the bronze at best.

I guarantee you no one from the USA is happy that team USA lost.



On the contrary. I am very happy the USA lost. Patriotism is the last refuge of the immoral and weak of mind. I'll root for the noble and deserving regardless of their national affliation.


I wanted the USA team to lose as soon as it became apparent that the white dominated-seemingly patriotic media-was going to use any sucess of the national team to use their tired old saw of demonizing Kobe. When I saw LeBron fall, like a Tommish buffoon, into their act, it sealed the deal for me. Go Greece! Go Greece! Go Greece!



Funny post. Calling LeBron a tom is pretty low. I don't really like how much hype he gets but I wouldn't go that far.

Anyway if you hate the USA as much as you seem to you should leave.

I'm sure you'll enjoy not being able to say things like you did in this thread.



America, love it or leave it!

I've met my match.....
There are some serious "NON"-Fans on this web site
User avatar
KevDog

 
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:40 pm

KevDog wrote:
24scores wrote:
KevDog wrote:
24scores wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:Cheese. Some of you people seem happy that USA lost. Umm, most of us live in the USA and I don't care if Kobe's on the team or not. I don't care if sport writers take a shot at him because USA is winning without him. My love of my country far outweighs my love (if you even want to call it that) for Kobe.

Basketball is a game, not a player.


No That's not how it is at least not with me. I rooted for team USA the whole way. I cheered when Wade and Lebron made a good shot and I told myself "he'll pull out of it" when Melo had a bad shooting spell.

But the game is over and now we go back to being Laker fans and pointing out to all the Kobe haters that LeBron, Wade and Melo once again come home with the bronze at best.

I guarantee you no one from the USA is happy that team USA lost.



On the contrary. I am very happy the USA lost. Patriotism is the last refuge of the immoral and weak of mind. I'll root for the noble and deserving regardless of their national affliation.


I wanted the USA team to lose as soon as it became apparent that the white dominated-seemingly patriotic media-was going to use any sucess of the national team to use their tired old saw of demonizing Kobe. When I saw LeBron fall, like a Tommish buffoon, into their act, it sealed the deal for me. Go Greece! Go Greece! Go Greece!



Funny post. Calling LeBron a tom is pretty low. I don't really like how much hype he gets but I wouldn't go that far.

Anyway if you hate the USA as much as you seem to you should leave.

I'm sure you'll enjoy not being able to say things like you did in this thread.



America, love it or leave it!

I've met my match.....


Alright man, keep playing the whole "Self-Absorbed Superior Intellect" card. This country and its all-white media suck and are definitely out to get you and all minorities (except the "Tommish" ones, I guess). :nono2:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
User avatar
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 13091
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: http://twitter.com/hosesway

Postby no_dont on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:42 pm

flexxdzl wrote:
no_dont wrote:Its clear to me
bron=melo=wade.
Melo was the only young gun to show, and that his game like ALL greats is condusive to physical play. I wish the NBA brought back some physicality. it would separate the REAL ballers. We all have seen KOBE dominate in physical style basketball


Once again I will say Wade and bron are more liked..they are puffed up media hype in a weak conference...which makes people think they are super stars times 10..they are not! I think team USA would do better without them on it...Kobe and Ray allen is greater that bron and wade

I think if you look at overall game. Melo and Bron> Wade. Wade thankfully has a better TEAM.
Melo offensively is better anywhere on the court. defensively he is counted on more and does more. They are all nice, I just think if you stacked melo up against past players and there games he would fair well, where without all the ticky tack calls the others may not. Kobe was great against Physical teams.
HO-BE
User avatar
no_dont

 
Posts: 8956
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Somewhere rolling around in my wheelchair

Postby KevDog on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:25 pm

Alright man, keep playing the whole "Self-Absorbed Superior Intellect" card. This country and its all-white media suck and are definitely out to get you and all minorities (except the "Tommish" ones, I guess). :nono2:



Truth is a wonderful thing....
There are some serious "NON"-Fans on this web site
User avatar
KevDog

 
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Postby Satan on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:26 pm

People behave improperly in Open Court.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
User avatar
Satan

 
Posts: 20768
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:23 pm
Location: Fist in the air in the land of hypocricy.

Postby Barnstable on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:42 pm

KevDog has a right to not root for any team he wants to. Don't talk about the freedoms of the USA and then say you should leave if someone uses them.
User avatar
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14186
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Queens NY

Postby 24scores on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:46 pm

KevDog wrote:
America, love it or leave it!

I've met my match.....


You have if that's all you can say in response. Anyway this should be taken elsewhere. You can PM me and we can take this to a political forum if you wish. Other than that I'm done on this subject.

Back to team USA and why they lost.
User avatar
24scores

 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby Lal-mtl on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:11 pm

Hey, we, Canadians, got used to 'not dominating the hockey world anymore'. USA should get used to the competetion. IMO, Bron and Wade are very good players but were not comfortable with the international (non-favorable) officiating. BUT blame all the great players who do not want to perticipate. If USA can put players like TD, KG, KOBE, AI, Shaq (old version) on the floor, I am sure they'll win the gold.
With all that being said, accept the fact that 'defeating every team by 30-50' days are over.
Image
-----------------------------------------
1. "RESIGN" (to quit, leave office, etc.) is not = "RE-SIGN"
2. "SHOULD' VE" (should HAVE) is not= "SHOULD OFF"
- same goes for would've, could've, etc.
User avatar
Lal-mtl

 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Team USA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.