Who makes the 10-man practice squad?

Who makes the 10-man practice squad?

Postby THE_DAGGER on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:56 am

Al Jefferson was the first player announced to be a part of the 10-man practice squad that's going to scrimmage against the national team next month.

The players invited to be on the practice squad are pretty much auditioning for the 2010 World Championship team and the 2012 Olympic team.

In Chris Sheridan's blog today he mentioned that Andre Iguodala, David Lee, Devin Harris, and Monta Ellis will join Jefferson on the practice squad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2951274&name=sheridan_chris

Update: I spoke to Colangelo on the phone this morning after filing this blog entry, and he said Andre Iguodala of the Sixers, David Lee of the Knicks, Devin Harris of the Mavericks, Monta Ellis of the Warriors and Al Jefferson of the Celtics have accepted invitations to play for a USA Basketball practice squad that will scrimmage against the national team Aug. 13-21.

Brandon Roy of the Trail Blazers was expected to be included, too, but a scheduling conflict will keep him out. Colangelo wants to get five more commitments to the 10-man practice squad, which he wants to bring into the USA Basketball pipeline with a long-term eye toward the 2010 World Championship in Turkey and the 2012 Olympics in London.

Who do you guys think will make the final 5 spots?

Some possible candidates are:

LaMarcus Aldridge
Randy Foye
Raymond Felton
Rudy Gay
Kevin Martin
Trevor Ariza
Jameer Nelson
Emeka Okafor
Gerald Wallace
Josh Smith
Josh Childress
Marvin Williams
Tyrus Thomas
Danny Granger
Luther Head
Mo Williams
Chris Wilcox
T.J. Ford
Paul Milsap
ANDREW BYNUM :mhihi:
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Postby THE_DAGGER on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:37 pm

From my list, I would choose:

Kevin Martin
Josh Smith
Emeka Okafor
Gerald Wallace
Raymond Felton
(3 Bobcats :mhihi: )

But, all of the players already mentioned to be on the practice squad were born in 1983 and after. I don't know if that's by coincidence. But, if it was intentional, then I would choose:

Andrew Bynum
Kevin Martin
Josh Smith
Raymond Felton
LaMarcus Aldridge
THE_DAGGER

Postby Radner on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:39 pm

Marvin Williams? :man10:
Radner

Postby THE_DAGGER on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Looks like Channing Frye and LaMarcus Aldridge might be the next players to be added to the practice squad.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2007/08/usa_basketball_attracting_blaz.html

According to independent sources, Portland forwards Channing Frye and LaMarcus Aldridge have accepted invitations to play on a select team that will practice and scrimmage with the national team later this month.

Blazers General Manager Kevin Pritchard on Thursday said nothing has been finalized, but added: "I think there's a good chance."

Adding their names to the other players officially on the team, the roster would look like this so far:

PG: Harris
SG: Ellis
SF: Iguodala
PF: David Lee, Channing Frye
C: Al Jefferson, LaMarcus Aldridge

I think the additions of Frye and Aldridge all but eliminate Bynum from contention and any other PF or C that could have potentially made the team.

So in saying that, depending on what positions Ellis and Iguodala will play, the team will either need: one more PG, SG, and SF; or one more PG and two SF's; or two more SG's and one SF; or one more SG and two more SF's.

My choices to make the last three roster spots are: Raymond Felton, Kevin Martin, and Josh Smith. With Luther Head having an outside chance because he's a shooter.
THE_DAGGER

Postby THE_DAGGER on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:10 pm

The official roster of the 10-man practice squad has been announced. (Boy, was I wrong. :man10:)

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47507/20070806/usa_announces_10_player_select_team/

Players named to the USA Basketball Select Team include: LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers ); Aaron Brooks (Houston Rockets ); Monta Ellis (Golden State Warriors ); Channing Frye (Portland Trail Blazers ); Jeff Green (Seattle SuperSonics ); Devin Harris (Dallas Mavericks ); Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers ); Al Jefferson (Minnesota Timberwolves ); Jason Kapono (Toronto Raptors ); and David Lee (New York Knicks ).
THE_DAGGER

Return to Team USA