Who's the face of the USA team??? Kobe or Lebron??

Who's the face of the USA team??? Kobe or Lebron??

Postby iLikeBigBUTTS on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:01 am

What do u guys think??

Chris Dempsey: LeBron James

LeBron presents flawless front NBA needs

The Face cannot have blemishes.

This means no news conferences on other people's time talking about your problems. No instances of bashing teammates, demanding trades, slamming management or otherwise shady behavior.

Thus, Kobe Bryant cannot be the face of USA Basketball. During a critical moment in the tournament, can we really be sure he won't snatch the ball from Carmelo Anthony's hands, call play 2-4 and take over? Will he wave off a Coach K play, clear out the side and "take this inferior player to the rack?"

Anyone think that's out of the realm of possibility? No. That being the case, Bryant can't be The Face.

Expectations of class, humility, on- court excellence, sportsmanship and leadership go into being the face of USA Basketball. By my count it's Le- Bron James 5, Bryant maybe 2 in those categories. Will there be more media present at a Kobe news conference than a LeBron news conference? Absolutely. But media clamoring to hear what you have to say doesn't mean much if the words are, "I'll talk about that later" or "I didn't say that" or "I shouldn't have said that."

When have we heard that from James?

The 22-year-old star is wise beyond his years and arguably the best player on Team USA - and he does it all without toting a bunch of personal baggage. He dances on stage at the ESPYs, will host "Saturday Night Live" and meshes all of it with basketball in a seemingly effortless way. And we like to see him - not in train-wreck Kobe fashion - but because we actually like to see him.

No Clearasil required.
Marc J. Spears: Kobe Bryant

Talent says it all, so Kobe only choice

I asked 10 NBA all-stars last season who they would choose as the league's most talented player. Eight picked Kobe Bryant.

So
KOBE BRYANT: His superstar skills are too much to ignore. (NBAE via Getty Images / Noah Graham)
if Bryant is considered the most talented player in the NBA, the best league in the world, he has to be considered the face of USA Basketball.

Bryant proved his staying power by overcoming a sexual assault accusation and regained his popularity among the most heralded athletes in the world.

When he displayed a distaste this summer for the direction the Lakers were taking, the NBA world stopped and listened.

Bryant led the league in scoring last season. He has three championship rings. LeBron James is just getting started. While "King James" truly is a talented player, he has a long way to go to match Bryant's résumé.

While the Nuggets won a game against NBA champion San Antonio in the playoffs last season, James couldn't lead his Cavaliers to even one victory in the NBA Finals. As great as the Spurs are, Bryant could have willed the pitiful Lakers to at least one victory.

James has yet to show an all-around game that can transfer to international play. He averaged six points fewer than the Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony for Team USA last year in the world championships.

Kobe? At the FIBA Americas Championship tournament next month, expect him to lead Team USA in scoring and get the last shot in clutch situations.

Bryant not only is the most talented basketball player, his jersey is the hottest seller in the NBA. Expect his USA Basketball jersey to be the hottest commodity, too. He simply has greater fan appeal

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_6434175
iLikeBigBUTTS

Postby temp5F on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:09 am

It's funny how the guy who chose Lebron has to rely on bull to discredit Kobe.

I mean, if you have to rely on such ridiculous scenarios to discredit Kobe, how reliable are you?

Kobe is the face of the team because he's the best and most respected player among his peers. The only people who can't accept that: hate him. It's as simple as that.

The players know what Kobe is all about and respect him. It's funny how it's mostly the "fans" who criticize him, along with some media hacks, but the majority of the players give him his due.

And the idea that Kobe won't co-exist with this team is ridiculous. One thing Kobe won't do is let this team lose if he has any say in it; he won't go away quietly.
Last edited by temp5F on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
temp5F

Postby hollywood swinger on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:10 am

tim donaghy.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby ladam24 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:22 am

for me It's Kobe. When i think of this years squad, Kobe is who pops into my head. The others are, for lack of a better word, an afterthought.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby Abnormal on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:38 am

hollywood swinger.
I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game’s winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed ... MJ#23

www.Bestqualityinsurance.com

Bynum/Mihm/DJ
Pau/Ronnie/Vlad
Lo/Ariza/luke
Kobe/Karl
Sasha/Fisher/Farmar
Abnormal

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:06 am

I"d say both. The experienced vet and the young star. Of course, that will all change when the media decides who they want to push forward (probably LeBron).
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jack13 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:35 am

Kobe hands down
Jack13

Postby polypro127 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:43 am

Anybody hear Lebrons comment today no being the "Number one leader on this team"

HA
"I don't know how to put this... but, I'm kind of a big deal... people know me... I'm very important... I have many leather-bound books... and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
polypro127

Postby hollywood swinger on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:14 am

Abnormal wrote:hollywood swinger.

thank you my friend. :mhihi:
hollywood swinger

Postby melo061 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:15 am

Holling swinger is overrated West magic kobe was much better.

IMposter!!!
Proud Member of Team Farmar
melo061

Postby hollywood swinger on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:21 am

melo061 wrote:Holling swinger is overrated West magic kobe was much better.

IMposter!!!

i am the same real product & not an imitation. just switched jersey # like kobe did.
hollywood swinger

Postby nameant on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:31 am

It's Kobe. All this hype, is Kobe. The stories & articles, are on Kobe. The hope has come back, b/c Kobe. Pretty obvious.
nameant

Postby Tragic on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:45 am

Mike Miller.
Tragic

Postby kobe244life on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:13 am

temp5F wrote:It's funny how the guy who chose Lebron has to rely on bull to discredit Kobe.

I mean, if you have to rely on such ridiculous scenarios to discredit Kobe, how reliable are you?

Kobe is the face of the team because he's the best and most respected player among his peers. The only people who can't accept that: hate him. It's as simple as that.

The players know what Kobe is all about and respect him. It's funny how it's mostly the "fans" who criticize him, along with some media hacks, but the majority of the players give him his due.

And the idea that Kobe won't co-exist with this team is ridiculous. One thing Kobe won't do is let this team lose if he has any say in it; he won't go away quietly.

Yeah, his basis for not picking Kobe makes him looks so stupid. If he had said something like kobe has not single handedly taken his team to an NBA finals but Lebron (though this to me does not make Lebron more talented than kobe), then maybe i will have a little bit of regard for his BS but to base his opinion on blemishes or no blemishes is just a mess. I guess he can also say Dwight howard is better than Shaq cus he has never demanded for a trade and shaq has. whoever that guy is needs to get over himself men.
"Baron Davis called the Lakers "a machine" earlier in the season and if L.A. was an Apple IIc back when Davis made the comment a couple weeks ago, it's become a Mac PowerBook G4 by now."

Dave McMenamin
kobe244life

Postby Majic on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:20 am

Orlando Tragic wrote:Mike Miller.
:mhihi:
Majic

Postby bumrusherer on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:27 am

Does it even matter? Why does there have to be a ''face''?
Why cant the main story be about the team?
bumrusherer

Postby temp5F on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:03 am

bumrusherer wrote:Does it even matter? Why does there have to be a ''face''?
Why cant the main story be about the team?

True. I think they're just trying to stir up controversy. It seems like the guys get along great, so I doubt we'll see any power issues among them.
temp5F

Postby The Maverick on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:06 am

Both.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby Questionmark on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:23 am

Even though Lebron says he's THE leader of this team, it really doesn't matter because from last year, Coach K said that Kobe is the leader and face of this USA team.
Questionmark

Postby Lakers Showtime24-7 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:29 am

I wish Gilbert Arenas decided to play. He would have made the leadership proclemation as well, then would give his famous and redundant Me Against the World that Never Gave Me a Chance or Any Credit for Anything speech again. I'm sure the ESPN idiots would eat it up and suggest that a Kobe for Gilbert trade is a good idea.
I want to buy an authentic, white, #8 Kobe jersey in size 48 or 50. Please message me if you can help.
Lakers Showtime24-7

Postby Chivalry on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:39 am

Lebron can be the face of USA basketball. Kobe is the heart.
Chivalry

Postby lilkhmerkid4u on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:41 am

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pog6k4onaZQ&mode=related&search"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pog6k4onaZQ&mode=related&search[/url]

LOL @ Lebron

"I'm the number 1 leader of this USA Team. I have to lead by example."

-Lebron James

ummmmmmmmm no. Kobe Bryant
lilkhmerkid4u

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:53 am

Kobe Bryant... hands down no question.
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby BDG on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:38 am

nameant wrote:It's Kobe. All this hype, is Kobe. The stories & articles, are on Kobe. The hope has come back, b/c Kobe. Pretty obvious.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby hoopschick03 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:12 am

From a purely anthropolgical standpoint, even in a pack of dogs, the alpha male distinguishes himself in a matter of moments. It is very clear on a team full of big dogs, who the alpha dog is and his name is not LeBron.
hoopschick03

Next

Return to Team USA