NBA 2K13 - Executive Produced By Jay-Z

NBA 2K13 - Executive Produced By Jay-Z

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:20 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Re: NBA 2K13 - Executive Produced By Jay-Z

Postby Finwë on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:54 pm

:jam2:
2k12 has my vote for best sports game I've ever played.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kenzo on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Awesome game... but this years cover is crap :man9:
kenzo

Postby kray28 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 pm

The new "stars" of the NBA are a total snorefest...that's why. None of them has any personality whatsoever.
kray28

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 pm

2 out of 3 of the cover athletes have knee injuries. KD next?
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:29 pm

No Lakers on the cover? What a surprise.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Snake Eyes on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:11 am

The NBA 2k series has been good for years, but the last few have been fantastic. This, and MLB the Show, are the only two sports titles that I buy every year because they are that good. Looking forward to this one too.
Snake Eyes

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:2 out of 3 of the cover athletes have knee injuries. KD next?

It should be labeled....NBA:2K13 Fragile Edition with Griffin and Rose on the cover.

Hopefully KD isn't next, even though it would be funny to see how many times Westbrook shoots a game when Durant isn't in there.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:17 am

Doc Brown wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:2 out of 3 of the cover athletes have knee injuries. KD next?

It should be labeled....NBA:2K13 Fragile Edition with Griffin and Rose on the cover.

Hopefully KD isn't next, even though it would be funny to see how many times Westbrook shoots a game when Durant isn't in there.

Westbrook with Durant: 19.2 shots
Durant with Westbrook: 19.7 shots
Westbrook without Durant: 38.9 shots.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:45 am

^^^ :man10:

The sad part is, I can see Westbrook throwing a hissy fit because someone like Kendrick Perkins shot it once and he didn't get his 40th shot attempt for the game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:26 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Snake Eyes on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:58 am

This video made me super excited for 2k13. I will most likely preorder the game in an age where I no longer preorder games. I am stoked!

Snake Eyes

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm

^if youre a best buy gamers club rewards zone member then you get $20 in rewards if you preorder 2k13. theres a few other games that you get $20 for preordering too.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:32 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:54 am

NBA 2K13 Interview with Producer, Rob Jones

Given the more organic nature of the dribble mechanic (Control Stick), will we see more signature dribble packages and moves? And what has been done to ensure a distinction between elite ball-handlers, average and poor ones?

While Signature movement and animations are still part of the very fabric of the NBA 2K experience, our ball handlers are differentiated less by the actual signature animation, but more by the animations they get, the speed of the moves, the effectiveness of the moves, and the ability to retain control of the ball when doing the moves.

Adding manual bounce passing is huge this year. We’re happy to hear it has been included. Will passing between players be different based on player ratings? Will it be pressure sensitive or can you control whether a pass should be lobbed or zipped? What about touch-passing on the fast break?

Passing is differentiated by the accuracy of passes in different situations. It is also differentiated by access to different types of passes. It isn’t a pressure sensitive system. We have talked about that, but it has been a fine balance between adding that type of control and introducing the lag time necessary to figure out which pass you really want. In the past, players have complained about the passing feeling sluggish, so we wanted to give immediate response to the pass button, wherever possible.

Will we see the AI utilize all these new dribble moves?

Yes, as the moves were put in, we paid attention to ensuring that the AI used the same moves that the user would. The AI may not be as good at inventing new combinations, though. That’s just the nature of users adapting to controls better than a computer can.

Will Signature Skills icons be visible (on the court) while playing or will they be hidden?

Signature Skills start off hidden, but are accessible via an in-game HUD that can be accessed by pressing up on the d-pad.

Are there any new sliders, tendencies and ratings this year?

There is a new tendency for post shooting, but otherwise the work done on sliders and tendencies was meant to yield more predictable results from the way the AI plays the game. We spent a lot of time tuning the tendencies in the roster to really perform the way we expected each player to play and, more importantly, revisiting how those tendencies are used within the game in the AI’s decision making. We also worked on each slider to make sure that it provided a desired and consistent effect when adjusted in game. Seems like a minor revision, but as this game has grown over the past few years, some of the innards of the game needed to be readjusted to achieve expected results.

Can you talk more about the mini-package dunks that will change throughout the season?

When creating Signature dunk packages in the past, we’d assign a player anywhere from 5 to 30 signature dunks. Whenever a player stopped doing a dunk or stopped being able to do a specific one, the system wasn’t flexible enough to allow us to remove it without forcing that player to a completely different package.

Now, our packages per player can be adjusted by removing a mini-pack and adding another, or removing multiple ones. A player’s arsenal can therefore be modified much more easily than we ever could before.

Will we see more off the ball/loose ball fouls with this new collision system?

There are definitely more off the ball fouls, but I wouldn’t say they are due to any new collision system. We do pay attention to your speed and direction when colliding with stationary players, be it defenders in a boxout or offensive players setting screens. In some of those cases, we will call fouls.

Will the AI read and look for back door cuts on offense and defense? What about flares and curls off screens?

Yes. Let me give you an example. I play against a colleague that truly loves his Celtics. Ever since they got Jason Terry, he loves to run these double screens to get him and Pierce open for three point shots. One thing the new AI does quite well is deciding where to square up based on how I navigate the screen. So, for example, I usually attempt to follow him around the baseline screen, and Terry will generally pop out to the wing for his shot. Every once in a while, I will try to cheat and go over the screen. In these cases, Terry pops out to the corner, effectively negating my cheat. This is definitely new behavior in the play system, whereas instead of just running through a script, the AI can adjust its movements based on how the defender chooses to approach the play development.

The hop step button has made its return, will collision and physics play a role to combat the cheese many complain about?

Yes, while we wanted the hop step button back for control purposes, we paid close attention to the effect of it. Multiple resolutions will let you know that you did the move in the wrong situation, from lost balls due to collision to heavy contact shots when shooting into a defender’s body.

Are there any collisions between players if the ball handler is under the rim?

Yes, players under the rim collide. We’ve made the ball handler pretty sensitive to contact under there in order to balance the game out.

How have charge/blocking fouls been improved?

Well, for once they work reliably! Getting a charge actually feels good in the game this year. You can control the defender’s position while holding the charge button too. Mostly, getting the rule right was made a priority by the AI team.

Can you talk about signature gathers and how they will work?

Signature Gathers have now become quick escape dribble/hop shots. They are performed by holding LT and double tapping the Control Stick left/right/back. Alternatively they can be accessed by hitting B + LS left/right/back.

How do floaters work and is the Left Trigger still used for Triple-Threat?

Floaters definitely work. Using players like Parker, Paul and Nash just wouldn’t be the same if you couldn’t shoot that shot while driving the key. We’ve not only made them more efficient, but sped them up too. You can also shoot standing floaters this year, which is something we never had control over.

With the Control Stick, Triple Threat is done just flicking the RS. If you want to pump fake you will need LT, but jabs, stepovers and holds are done with the RS only.

How has fast break logic been addressed? Will we see players filling lanes, continuation(s) to the hoop by the AI, trailers, defense committing to dribbler to stop the ball and force a pass, etc.?

Offensively, we started with the concept of a five-lane break. Previously we ran on a three lane system with trailer behaviors. The AI fills the lanes more reliably (less 3pt spot ups in wrong situations).

Are alley-oops off the backboard to a teammate and self-alley-oops in open court situations performed by all players regardless if they actually do it in real life?

No, the AI won’t perform them if they aren’t high skilled. A user can attempt them as much as they want, but the success rate will be based on the abilities of the two (or one) players involved.

What role will shading ball handlers play regarding help defense, double teams & pick & rolls? Does the AI adjust and shade to a dribblers weak hand? Front a dominant big after too many scores? Sag on the weak side after they decide to front?

Well, shading a ballhandler to the correct area automatically forces that player to attack an area that has the type of help defense you want to play (the rotation). Shading a player on a pick and roll can either mean getting over the pick easier or getting caught out of position if the screen comes from the opposite side. We like the concept of forcing a player to his weak(er) hand, but it is something that is very hard to convey to users, so we have been limiting our focus to forcing the ball handler towards a better help situation.

How well does the new physics integration effect screens and players moving without the ball, through traffic? When running plays, will players still get hung up or will they take more realistic angles to come free?

The offball player interaction has been improved dramatically. We really lightened up on those collisions, relying more on single player collision avoidance animations and/or collision reactions. It makes for a much more enjoyable experience, especially in player lock situations and in play timing.

It seemed the layups and the ability to get a proper layup animation, took a step back this year, when comparing it to NBA 2K11. Will we see a more natural flow to these animations this year?

Yes, the layup animation selection is much improved in 2K13 over 2K12. For one, we have a new way of determining how to avoid defenders and we also adjust your shots based on contact, all as part of the new collision resolution system.

What is the biggest improvement you see from the AI, both offensively and defensively?

I see two things on offense: a better understanding of how to attack you within plays, and a more consistent way of knowing what scoring option to take when they do decide to attack you.

Defensively, I think the AI is much stronger due to better defensive rotations and a more disciplined way of playing onball defense - forcing harder shots by the user.

In general, we are happy with feeling like that the AI is successful because of basketball smarts, and not just because they react to things better, faster than us or are more accurate with their shooting.

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, is there anything else you’d like to add?

The dev team is grateful for you guys’ support. All of your praises and criticisms just help drive us to create a better basketball experience. We’re really proud of what we’ve been able to deliver this year, and look forward to your suggestions as to how to improve going forward! Thanks again to all.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Snake Eyes on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:09 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:^if youre a best buy gamers club rewards zone member then you get $20 in rewards if you preorder 2k13. theres a few other games that you get $20 for preordering too.

Thanks for the tip, Chooka.

2k13 is adding the dream team, as you all probably know, with one glaring exception, Scottie Pippen. Well enough fans complained and 2k13 has actually listened. According to sports gaming blog, PastaPadre, Pippen has been added to the roster making it complete.
Snake Eyes

Postby XXIV on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:^if youre a best buy gamers club rewards zone member then you get $20 in rewards if you preorder 2k13. theres a few other games that you get $20 for preordering too.

Thanks for the tip, Chooka.

2k13 is adding the dream team, as you all probably know, with one glaring exception, Scottie Pippen. Well enough fans complained and 2k13 has actually listened. According to sports gaming blog, PastaPadre, Pippen has been added to the roster making it complete.

Why wasn't he on the team in the first place?
XXIV

Postby LakerFan1235 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:10 pm

^Scottie wanted more money apparently
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby XXIV on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:^Scottie wanted more money apparently

That's ridiculous, these players should just be fortunate to be in a 2K game. :man12:

Also, does anyone know if Charles is finally willing to be in one of these video games? I know for the longest time he was against them because he wanted kids to go out and play basketball rather than sit down on the couch.
XXIV

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:52 am

XXIV wrote:
LakerFan1235 wrote:^Scottie wanted more money apparently

That's ridiculous, these players should just be fortunate to be in a 2K game. :man12:

Also, does anyone know if Charles is finally willing to be in one of these video games? I know for the longest time he was against them because he wanted kids to go out and play basketball rather than sit down on the couch.

money talks. plus being part of the dream team was one of his greatest accomplishments. ive been hearing that hes only gonna be available on the dream team and wont be on any other classic teams. that was probably part of the agreement that got him into the game.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 am

Why Did Scottie Pippen Come Around and Agree to Be in NBA 2K13? Ask His Wife.

From the sound of it, Jay-Z wasn't the one who strong-armed Scottie Pippen into rejoining the Dream Team for NBA 2K13. It was Pippen's wife and 11-year-old son.

Pippen, the lone holdout of 12 superstars on the United States 1992 national team when 2K Sports announced it was bringing USA Basketball to NBA 2K13 this year, reversed himself and agreed to license his appearance, the publisher said earlier today. Though Jay-Z, the hip-hop superstar and entrepreneur brought in as executive producer in a creative capacity, insisted on bringing the Dream Team back to a video game, Pippen had opted out of a group licensing arrangement and wouldn't agree to terms to appear in the game.

A strong demonstration of fan disappointment over Twitter and Facebook played a role in Pippen's decision to reconsider. But one of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players ultimately had to answer to others who hold him more accountable..

"Larsa [Pippen's wife], she got a ton of requests from fans," said Jason Argent, the 2K Sports vice president of marketing. "I believe she sent out a couple of tweets about it, one saying she was working on [getting Pippen in the game.] She told us their 11-year-old son was really disappointed, too."

Officially, the word is that Pippen came around out of fan service. While 2K Sports is careful never to discuss financial terms of its licensing deals, it's apparent money was the holdup. Pippen appeared in NBA 2K11 and NBA 2K12 under a group license offered by a retired NBA players' association. He opted out of that sometime in the past year, requiring 2K Sports to reach an individual deal with him, which it couldn't.

When the Dream Team's video game return was announced Aug. 15, Argent said negotiations had concluded. They ended amicably, but they were over, and 2K and Jay-Z were prepared to go forward without Pippen. It was Pippen who reconsidered and came back to 2K Sports to ask back into the game. "And we of course welcomed him with open arms," Argent said.

Scottie Pippen may be popularly viewed as Michael Jordan's greatest teammate, but he does make a unique and indispensable contribution to the Dream Team—considered the greatest collection of talent in any sport, ever—through his defense. That will be key as video gamers inevitably seek to answer which edition of the U.S. national team was better, the 1992 squad, or the 2012 team that just won gold in the London Olympics.

Pippen's overall rating in the game will be a 92. That's equal to another 2012 national team small forward, Carmelo Anthony, and lower than Kevin Durant's 95. But Jordan himself said the 1992 team should win because it played tougher defense. Pippen's 2,307 career steals are the most of any NBA forward, and he is one of three players to record more than 200 steals and 100 blocks in the same season.

Most important to 2K, however, is the Dream Team will appear in its entirety, Argent said. "It was incomplete without him," he said. "Wherever fans may rank him in the heirarchy of great players, it's less relevant than just having the whole team in."

When asked if 2K had spent all this money and effort on 12 retired players just to use them as a single team in the game's exhibition mode, Argent demurred, but said there were more announcements to be made—not just on gameplay, but on game modes, in NBA 2K13.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby scheven on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:12 pm

scheven

Postby Weezy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Is it just me, or does Pippen come off as a big a-hole like 90% of the time? The only guy out of all those legends on the dream team that held out, because of money, can't stand Pippen.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snake Eyes on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:35 am

Weezy wrote:Is it just me, or does Pippen come off as a big a-hole like 90% of the time? The only guy out of all those legends on the dream team that held out, because of money, can't stand Pippen.

I am not the best when it comes to Bulls/Jordan history, but I wonder how much of Pippen's poor attitude is a result of Jordan's a-hole-ness?
Snake Eyes

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Next

Return to Tech Central