Postby c.Lin on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:48 pm

Nissan Motorsports wrote:
hZm wrote:
BDG is a mini nothing.

Simply put... he is CL's GOAT.

:bow:
c.Lin

Postby rayboi8 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:55 pm

bhatta wrote:Well .. since Phil gets so much out of his players, can we consider Pat Riley to be the greatest coach in Laker history? I mean, he DID win more championships for the franchise than Phil has and certainly got the most of that team, right?

Riley doesn't get his credit because he had a team full of Hall of Famers. In fact, one of those squads featured four number one overall picks. Is Phil really that much better than Pat Riley?

Again, I'm ready to be proven wrong by the Lakers having a great season this year. But you have to even admit that a championship isn't even close to being considered realistically. Wouldn't a coach with such great ability make his team a contender regardless of personnel (to an extent - I'm not saying a great coach can win a championship with CL members ... although I'm sure some of you can ball).

red part: uh no, you said it yourself riley had much better players than phil, a "team full of hall of famers," so it would make sense that he won more championships.

youre second paragraph is all over the place. First you make a statement... then instead of supporting your statement with your next statement, you add to why you are wrong, then in the last sentence you bring up something that has nothing to do with your previous statement. (Im not even going to try to figure out what you meant here)

then I would say that the bolded part is irrelevant because we dont need to see him go above and beyond as a coach this season because HE ALREADY PROVED THAT LAST SEASON. what more do you want!? it seems like youre not satisfied with how he took a piece of crap team and almost beat the suns in the first round. I dont understand you.
I agree with Coville youre not giving phil enough credit

furthermore, I seem to disagree with you when it comes to just about anything. Youre calling Luke crazy because he says the lakers could make it to the finals. Now dont get me wrong and make sure you read this carefully. I dont think the lakers will make it to the finals this year at all. But coming from a player such as luke, first of all its only showing confidence in his own team, second its a possibility; albeit a very very veryyyyyyy small possibility, but it could happen.

you seem to act like your opinion is always right about everything

and as for you guys hating on on deaven george, its really ridiculous. Yes, he wasnt an all star or anything even close to that, i understand. But youre hate on him is completely unjustified. if you hate him that much then what about mckie, He did 1000x less than what deaven george did. And i dont know if you remember but deaven hit a few very crucial 3's in GAME 4 against the suns, and if it werent for those we wouldnt have had kobes game winner. Not to mention he was part of the 3 championship teams. It doesnt matter if he got them as a role player behind shaq and kobe, he still contributed and if you said he didnt you would be lying to yourself.

And who says he had as much responsibilty as kobe, phil, mckie etc to lead this team just because he was the third oldest on the team. Thats bullcrap. Just because hes the oldest doesnt mean at all that its up to him to lead our team. First your saying that he sucks more than everyone on the team, but then your saying that at the same time this sucky player has the responsibility of leading everyone?! CMON
rayboi8

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:12 pm

^^^ Rayboi, I can't speak for the others that created the feed, but to me, it seems like a show that is based off of Lakers smack.

Hell Clublakers.com originated from Lakers smack. "Come hard, come often" was the motto. Fans were encouraged to talk smack about the team and hoops in general. A difference of opinion was welcomed, because we did not want to turn out like those other sites that become uniform and boring with the same tired opinions.

We are all Lakers fans here that support the team in different ways. The bottom line is that we want the Lakers to succeed. Whether if its through believing we need a better coach, GM, owner, players, ball boys, etc. We want the Lakers to be successful.

The Luke comments is nothing but smack talk by bhatta. Same goes for Phil. But you notice how he continuously admits that he has no problem "eating crow" cause that means that the Lakers actually came good on all their confidence of their performance this year.

We are a Lakers site, but you need differing opinions and differing paths to the way you want to show your support. You have your way, that guy's post above you has theirs, bhatta has his, BDG, JSM, Nuggz and the callers have theirs, I have mine. But we're all Laker fans...so whats the problem?

I think the feed was great. I'm still hungry for more.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:52 pm

how many of Phil's teams have won a title w/o him? Lakers before Riley = title. Lakers with Riley = titles. Lakers after Riley = Finals. was Riley really the one who won those titles? nope. proof is right there. Phil > Riley. even this past season. Heat before Riley = ECF, 1 min. away from the Finals. already title contenders.
nameant

Postby rayboi8 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:19 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
The Luke comments is nothing but smack talk by bhatta. Same goes for Phil. But you notice how he continuously admits that he has no problem "eating crow" cause that means that the Lakers actually came good on all their confidence of their performance this year.

vasashi

i understand everything you said. The problem i have is this above^^^. It seems like he is intentially saying bad things about the lakers so he has himself a win-win situation: either hes right and he can rub it into everyones face or hes wrong and the lakers are successful. If hes really a laker fan, why the pessimism?

Instead of saying something like luke is out of his mind, why cant he say luke has some interesting ideas and i hope hes right, but i just dont see our chances of making the finals as that good.

Or instead of Deaven George is a piece of garbage who did absolutely nothing that he should have done, why cant he say something like even though george was declining as a laker these past couple years, he made his contributions as a role player during the championship years.

As a laker fan you should be rooting for your team and hoping they are successful, NOT saying that, for example, you think they are going to be a lottery team and hoping that they prove you wrong.

I dont know maybe my opinions differ too much with his
rayboi8

Postby Sky on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:24 pm

Rayboi - But if you honestly believe they are going to be a lottery team, or barely make the playoffs, or go first round and out, shouldn't you be true to your convictions?

I root for the team and lose my voice every year, but if I think they aren't going to go far I think it's much better to call it straight than to adopt some false tone that I don't believe in. You want the heart to rule over all. Some fans apply the heart to rooting for them during the games but the head to analyze their chances. Not all fans take the approach you do, vive le difference.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby rayboi8 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Sky wrote:Rayboi - But if you honestly believe they are going to be a lottery team, or barely make the playoffs, or go first round and out, shouldn't you be true to your convictions?

I root for the team and lose my voice every year, but if I think they aren't going to go far I think it's much better to call it straight than to adopt some false tone that I don't believe in. You want the heart to rule over all. Some fans apply the heart to rooting for them during the games but the head to analyze their chances. Not all fans take the approach you do, vive le difference.

i understand. Im realistic too. I just dont like that "i hope that i am wrong and that they prove me wrong attitude." If you think there is even a chance they will prove you wrong, dont you think your expectations are a little too low?

edit: one thing that bothered me was that whole "luke walton is crazy for saying we could make it to the finals" comment

I see Luke as a pretty smart player. I would say that a smart player like him who is actually on the team would knows a lot more than anyone on Cl about what the team is capable of achieving. If he says something like that, I wouldnt completely discard it right away and call him crazy.

The least I would do is consider it with an open mind, even if i think the possibilities are slim (which i do)
rayboi8

Postby Sky on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:54 pm

"If you think there is even a chance they will prove you wrong, dont you think your expectations are a little too low?"

That's still heart over head. My head says there's a small chance they go to the second round in the right matchup, an infinitesimal chance they go to the WCF and a sub-atomic chance they go to the Finals. Just because the chance exists doesn't mean I believe in it. I go with what I believe most, not what I hope most.

I was fine with Luke making that comment, players need to believe in themselves and their team. But it's one thing for the players and the team to say that and believe it, that impacts their perfornance, coinfidence and trust in each other. It's another for the fans to believe it. What I believe has no impact on them. Some fans think otherwise, that fan belief is somehow related via karma to performance. Tripe. Rooting for the team live is the fans' link to performance.

What we think of their chances doesn't matter at all. We're free to conclude what we believe. What I believe is first round and out, with a small chance of second round and microscopic chances thereafter.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby rayboi8 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:14 pm

I dont know what to tell you sky. I have certain realistic expectations every season, but at the same time I try not to put any limits on what could happen as long as we have kobe and phil on this team. I guess thats the fan side of me. If i planned out every season like you, i think it would take away from the excitement
rayboi8

Postby bhatta on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:21 pm

Raiboi -

In your analysis of what I wrote, you missed the most important part of the entire post - I was being sarcastic.

My point was that Pat Riley isn't considered such a good coach because of the players he has had. Laker fans are creating a double standard in raising Phil to a pedestal while not looking at history and realizing that Riley has an equal accomplishment - winning championships with great teams.

What did Phil really prove last season? Phil Jackson's teams have made it out of the first round in every season that he has made the playoffs - even the Bulls teams that didn't have Jordan. Last year, he took a mediocre team into the playoffs and lost in the first round, done in by the deficiencies of his own team. Phil did a good job coaching last year, spending more time teaching than he has in years past, but he still isn't the GOAT in my eyes.

As far as Luke saying the team can make the Finals - I said on several occasions that I admired the confidence, but Walton isn't the player that should be making statements like this. He has WAY too much to work on his own game before he earns the right to talk big like that. If Kobe or Lamar said something like that, I'd listen .. but the holes Luke has in his own game should be filled first. I did say that I liked the comments he made because it shows confidence, but he hasn't given ME reason to feel that same confidence.

Now, I gave legitimate reasons as to why I felt George needed to go. I was his supporter for a long time, but when the Lakers needed him to step up and he simply did not do so. Expecting one of your seasoned veterans to be a leader shouldn't be asking for too much, but hey, maybe I'm too demanding of players that have won three championships?

As far as me saying bad things of the team as a win-win .. um .. how is it a win-win for me if I'm proven wrong? I have my pride and don't ever want to be wrong .. don't we all? I do want this team to be successful, but when you look at the roster, that success would be had only by the team overachieving. Expecting overachievement is illogical to me.

In any case, it's good that you have the faith that you do. I'm sure you don't let what I say have any bearing to what you feel, and it shouldn't. Just as you're sticking your guns and being optimistic, I will do so and be surprised if this team exceeds my expectations. I say they'll be out in five games in the Round 2. And I think I'm dumb for expecting that.
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby rayboi8 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:33 pm

bhatta wrote:Raiboi -

Now, I gave legitimate reasons as to why I felt George needed to go. I was his supporter for a long time, but when the Lakers needed him to step up and he simply did not do so. Expecting one of your seasoned veterans to be a leader shouldn't be asking for too much, but hey, maybe I'm too demanding of players that have won three championships?

In any case, it's good that you have the faith that you do. I'm sure you don't let what I say have any bearing to what you feel, and it shouldn't. Just as you're sticking your guns and being optimistic, I will do so and be surprised if this team exceeds my expectations. I say they'll be out in five games in the Round 2. And I think I'm dumb for expecting that.

At times you are saying he was riding the success of shaq and kobe with those 3 championships and he didnt deserve them. Now you are saying hes a seasoned veteran who has won three championships (implying that he played a big part in them). Which is it?

As for your expectations, they are basically the same as mine, almost exactly. To me first round seems like its going to happen, and second round is possible and hopeful, and you seem to think the same way. I hope i didnt somehow imply that i somehow think this team will for sure make it to the finals or wcf or something. It just seemed to me like you thought they would barely make the playoffs or get swept in the first round or something. To me, you didnt sound confident with this team at all.
rayboi8

Postby lakerzkb8 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:57 pm

I'm disgusted with the Devean George segment :mad1:

:mhihi:
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby Podium on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm

This is what the podcast is supposed to do, spark debate and conversation. :man11:

And Rayboi, bhatta is simply doing what most "radio" (I know its a podcast) hosts do. Take up a different point of view to get some listeners "up in arms". He doesn't do it to the extent that Steve Hartman does (say what you want about him, but the man does his job), but bhatta saying Phil isn't the right coach makes some fans who haven't thought about it, think about it and figure out whether they agree or disagree with him and form their opinion (and arguments to support that opinion) that way.
Podium
Clublakers Analyst

Postby rayboi8 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:58 pm

The Podium wrote:This is what the podcast is supposed to do, spark debate and conversation. :man11:

And Rayboi, bhatta is simply doing what most "radio" (I know its a podcast) hosts do. Take up a different point of view to get some listeners "up in arms". He doesn't do it to the extent that Steve Hartman does (say what you want about him, but the man does his job), but bhatta saying Phil isn't the right coach makes some fans who haven't thought about it, think about it and figure out whether they agree or disagree with him and form their opinion (and arguments to support that opinion) that way.

ya, youre right, but in this case, i dont think bhatta is saying things just to get us thinking. Im pretty sure he supports most of the stuff he says on the podcast.
rayboi8

Postby HWTA on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:44 pm

rayboi8 wrote:
bhatta wrote:Raiboi -

At times you are saying he was riding the success of shaq and kobe with those 3 championships and he didnt deserve them. Now you are saying hes a seasoned veteran who has won three championships (implying that he played a big part in them). Which is it?

JSM said that.
HWTA

Postby BDG on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:13 pm

rayboi8 wrote:edit: one thing that bothered me was that whole "luke walton is crazy for saying we could make it to the finals" comment

I see Luke as a pretty smart player. I would say that a smart player like him who is actually on the team would knows a lot more than anyone on Cl about what the team is capable of achieving. If he says something like that, I wouldnt completely discard it right away and call him crazy.
You do have a point there; however, in the same breath you can say that those that aren't on the team have a better perspective when calling it from a subjective viewpoint.

I think the thing missed in all this is the confidence Luke must feel from himself and his teammates. While I definitely don't expect this team to make the Finals, it's always a positive to see such a ballsy statement to be put out before the beginning of the year.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby dogster on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:28 am

Add me to the legions of listeners who believe that this feed is superior to the previous two. Only a couple more years of voice lessons, and you guys will be pretty OK. I fell asleep at some point, but I think it has to do with the fact that I’m really tired and a bit sleep deprived. I thought the Phil-bashing and the Gump-bashing … I mean Devean George bashing… was a bit ridiculous. I’m hoping there was some Dogster bashing at some point. These guys were going to pay me millions to debate them on the air, but I turned them down to focus on print media, Was GuRu on the third feed, or did they fire him?
dogster

Postby dogster on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:49 pm

bhatta wrote:As far as Luke saying the team can make the Finals - I said on several occasions that I admired the confidence, but Walton isn't the player that should be making statements like this. He has WAY too much to work on his own game before he earns the right to talk big like that. If Kobe or Lamar said something like that, I'd listen .. but the holes Luke has in his own game should be filled first.

There is zero logic or sensible thought in this paragraph, just backseat-driver fanspeak. It is sort've like saying, "don't believe that you can win an auto race until you've actually won a race." No champion ever thought like this. But the world is full of people who believe this nonsense. They stall themselves and unwittingly try to stall others. They sit on the sidelines of life, telling life's true players what is and isn't possible. But the champions start with a vision that transcends Joe Average's perception of limiits. They are able to see themselves as champions. The belief in this clear vision allows them to stand and deliver. To achieve a goal, first visualize it.

Walton grew up learning about championship basketball, and has sniffed blood in the playoffs. He's played on a team that made it to the finals. And now he's visualizing his current team making it to the playoffs. Not rocket science.
dogster

Postby ladam24 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:52 pm

YES! finally we've been fed.

Cheers fellas, good job.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby rayboi8 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:28 pm

dogster wrote:
bhatta wrote:As far as Luke saying the team can make the Finals - I said on several occasions that I admired the confidence, but Walton isn't the player that should be making statements like this. He has WAY too much to work on his own game before he earns the right to talk big like that. If Kobe or Lamar said something like that, I'd listen .. but the holes Luke has in his own game should be filled first.

There is zero logic or sensible thought in this paragraph, just backseat-driver fanspeak. It is sort've like saying, "don't believe that you can win an auto race until you've actually won a race." No champion ever thought like this. But the world is full of people who believe this nonsense. They stall themselves and unwittingly try to stall others. They sit on the sidelines of life, telling life's true players what is and isn't possible. But the champions start with a vision that transcends Joe Average's perception of limiits. They are able to see themselves as champions. The belief in this clear vision allows them to stand and deliver. To achieve a goal, first visualize it.

Walton grew up learning about championship basketball, and has sniffed blood in the playoffs. He's played on a team that made it to the finals. And now he's visualizing his current team making it to the playoffs. Not rocket science.

Thank you.
rayboi8

Postby Snake Eyes on Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:58 pm

Just wanted to say I really appreciated the feed and I think it was the best so far. Keep up the good work guys, I might leave a voice mail in the next couple of days.
Snake Eyes

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:24 pm

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Wow, I just finally had an opportunity to listen to the feed and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good work fellas. I sounded sexy as usual of course. :man1:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby BDG on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:24 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote::bow: :bow: :bow:

Wow, I just finally had an opportunity to listen to the feed and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good work fellas. I sounded sexy as usual of course. :man1:
Yeah, nice one JSJ. :man1:

Please keep the voicemails coming everyone.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby dogster on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:48 pm

I think you should bring back GuRu. If he works on his voice, he could be the next Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton. Actually, the GuRu segment from the second food was one of the best. He didn't agree with Battty's bashing of Phil Jackson, etc.

But seriously, the tape recordings...errr ... I mean Podcasts are great!

Now what would really be cool... Have the guys who claim to know the players and team personnel actually interview these people...

The musical touches in #4 had a certain je ne sais pas.

So I say carry forth! (or should I say, fourth...). When, pray tell, is feed four? "Food Four Thought"
dogster

Postby hZm on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:11 pm

dogster wrote:I think you should bring back GuRu. If he works on his voice, he could be the next Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton. Actually, the GuRu segment from the second food was one of the best. He didn't agree with Battty's bashing of Phil Jackson, etc.

But seriously, the tape recordings...errr ... I mean Podcasts are great!

Now what would really be cool... Have the guys who claim to know the players and team personnel actually interview these people...

The musical touches in #4 had a certain je ne sais pas.

So I say carry forth! (or should I say, fourth...). When, pray tell, is feed four? "Food Four Thought"

Is that a good thing? :man10:
hZm

PreviousNext

Return to The CL Feed