Andrew Bynum Appreciation Thread

Re: Andrew Bynum Appreciation Thread

Postby KobeCory8 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:20 pm

thank you Drew. I have watched you grow into the second best center in the league, and I know you will flourish in Philly. Good Luck to you. :bow: :bow:
KobeCory8

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:02 am

I think there are a few things we are accustomed to that we will miss.

1. Bynum's length and looooooong arms, especially on tip ins and offensive rebounds. Bynum basically never did anything special, he just stood there and would eventually still get his hands on the ball somehow.

2. Bynum's size in the post against players like Perkins etc. He is too big to be defended if he feels it. You can throw anyone in the league at him and you could always hope Bynum to over power him. If he gets fouled, he likely makes the shots too. Creating lots of and1s.

Dwight does also make and1 plays, more than almost anyone in the league and he dunks pretty much more than anyone in the league. But he doesn't have the same presence on offense. Also he is going to be frustrating from the foul line.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Rock on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:08 am

http://www.foxsportswest.com/08/10/12/Bynum-leaves-Lakers-with-mixed-feelings/landing_lakers.html?blockID=774215&feedID=7972
Bryant wasn't the only Laker with conflicting feelings about their former teammate. Ask a player off the record if he felt that Drew would ever outgrow his me-first attitude, many times they'd say probably not. One player even told me that he thought Bynum was playing the game for money. "I don't think he really likes playing or has a lot of passion for it. He's doing it because he's good at it and can make a lot of money."

Probably same player that talked crap about Ron a few months ago. Joe McDonnell wrote that article too

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby nthydro on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:06 pm

The Rock wrote:http://www.foxsportswest.com/08/10/12/Bynum-leaves-Lakers-with-mixed-feelings/landing_lakers.html?blockID=774215&feedID=7972
Bryant wasn't the only Laker with conflicting feelings about their former teammate. Ask a player off the record if he felt that Drew would ever outgrow his me-first attitude, many times they'd say probably not. One player even told me that he thought Bynum was playing the game for money. "I don't think he really likes playing or has a lot of passion for it. He's doing it because he's good at it and can make a lot of money."

Probably same player that talked crap about Ron a few months ago. Joe McDonnell wrote that article too

Has to be Pau Gasol. Has to be.
Last edited by nthydro on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Bynum just made his first public comment about being traded to Philadelphia. :disagree:

When asked what his feelings are regarding the trade, Bynum stated, "Playing in Philly is...actually kinda easy."
nthydro

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:24 pm

The Rock wrote:http://www.foxsportswest.com/08/10/12/Bynum-leaves-Lakers-with-mixed-feelings/landing_lakers.html?blockID=774215&feedID=7972

:sing: :sing: :sing:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Legendary on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:37 pm

PurpleNGold1 wrote:GOOD RIDDANCE THERES A BANK IN EVERY CITY!! CLOSE THREAD :jam2:

:man10: :man10:
Legendary

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:54 pm

According to wikipedia, Bynum will wear #33 (Kareem)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bynum

GoldenKnight

Postby karacha on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Shaq also said once that he would really like to play football. "...but I'm very big, strong and I am really good at basketball, so that's what I do."

I'm paraphrasing here, but essentially that's what he said. I don't think that kind of attitude is rare in the NBA actually.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:02 pm

karacha wrote:Shaq also said once that he would really like to play football. "...but I'm very big, strong and I am really good at basketball, so that's what I do."

I'm paraphrasing here, but essentially that's what he said. I don't think that kind of attitude is rare in the NBA actually.

I think it is quite obvious when a player only plays for the money & not to win a chip or for the love of the game, Bynum is a perfect example of that, in my opinion.

GoldenKnight

Postby last stand on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:05 pm

karacha wrote:Shaq also said once that he would really like to play football. "...but I'm very big, strong and I am really good at basketball, so that's what I do."

For big men it's probably common. The shorter you get the less prevalent it is.

Curtis Martin made the HOF and hated football. Liking the sport is not a requirement but work ethic is
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:18 pm

One player even told me that he thought Bynum was playing the game for money. "I don't think he really likes playing or has a lot of passion for it. He's doing it because he's good at it and can make a lot of money."

I've never even met Bynum, but this is the impression I always got from him based on his personality and approach to games. It never seemed like basketball was really his passion which is why I had no confidence in him leading this franchise.. Of course I could be entirely wrong but the fact that a guy who has played with him thinks the same thing might be telling.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby kray28 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:27 pm

The impression I always got from Drew...especially after he graduated from diapers to pullups, was that he was too cool for school and didn't really have the time to deal with the criticism. This was reflected first and foremost in his interviews. Some called it "refreshing honesty", other called it "tactless idiocy". As time wore on, he started giving more totally frank, totally honest, (and often totally tactless) interviews. I think he finally crossed the line with certain team elders with the hole "close out games are actually kinda easy" bit.

I would bet the "unnamed player" here is Kobe himself.
Last edited by kray28 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kray28

Postby kray28 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:28 pm

last stand wrote:Curtis Martin made the HOF and hated football. Liking the sport is not a requirement but work ethic is

TBH, I am actually kind of surprised he made the HoF.
kray28

Postby The Rock on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:31 pm

I think Andrew wanted to be great at what he did and Im sure he will be, Im just not sure if it will come within the team concept of success, that requires quite a bit of unselfishness, sacrifice and patience. Injuries did derail his Laker career and so he was always intent on proving haters and doubters wrong that he can stay healthy, be an impact player, be an all star....check, check and check but I dont think he understood that it has to come within the context of the team's success. He had that understanding in 08 obviously before the injuries but very rarely did he display it in the coming seasons

Hes gonna be a perennial all star, this is his opportunity to learn as much as he can
Last edited by The Rock on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:31 pm

kray28 wrote:The impression I always got from Drew...especially after he graduated from diapers to pullups, was that he was too cool for school and didn't really have the time to deal with the criticism. This was reflected first and foremost in his interviews. Some called it "refreshing honesty", other called it "tactless idiocy". As time wore on, he started giving more totally frank, totally honest, (and often totally tactless) interviews. I think he finally crossed the line with certain team elders with the hole "close out games are actually kinda easy" bit.

I would bet the "unnamed player" here is Kobe himself.

Nah, I don't think it's Kobe. Has Kobe ever been the type of person that has a "filter" when talking to the media?

Probably a scrub player or most likely Metta
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby gcclaker on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:58 pm

nthydro wrote:

Has to be Pau Gasol. Has to be.

It has to be a teammate that is fiercely driven with a killer attitude towards winning. That rules out your choice.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Gasol just doesn't seem like the type, you know... Pau is always kind, always PC and all that.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:14 pm

gcclaker wrote:It has to be a teammate that is fiercely driven with a killer attitude towards winning. That rules out your choice.

:man10: :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Original 81 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm willing to bet that "source" is McDonnell himself.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby revgen on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:39 pm

I find it interesting that the same player who played on a swollen limb in the 2010 playoffs and a bad MCL the postseason before would be a player who is "all about the money".
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:44 pm

I don't see how anyone can say Drew doesn't care about basketball. If that was the case he wouldn't have fought through the pain and played during the Lakers two championship runs in 2009 and 2010.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:46 pm

I think it was MWP.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:I don't see how anyone can say Drew doesn't care about basketball. If that was the case he wouldn't have fought through the pain and played during the Lakers two championship runs in 2009 and 2010.

I think he stopped caring (to some degree) after we won multiple titles.

Of course this is purely speculation on my part, but from his interviews and demeanor that's the vibe I got.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Psychobroker on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:54 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:

I think it is quite obvious when a player only plays for the money & not to win a chip or for the love of the game, Bynum is a perfect example of that, in my opinion.

Without Bynum and his injured knee, we dont win a chip in 2010..
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard