Andrew Bynum Appreciation Thread

Re: Andrew Bynum Appreciation Thread

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Loved the prospect of what Bynum could bring. Loved his development from a raw big man, to an All Star Center for the Lakers. Though he didn't play a LARGE role in the 2 rings he won, he played a provided us with solid play with the time he could. Though injuries plague most of his career, he still showed a fire to want to come back and be better. A trait in a player you rarely find.

For me, I've always felt that Bynum had the potential to lead a team, but with Kobe, he wasn't going to do it here. He's a big kid who needs to find himself as a leader and player, space to grow and develop a killer instinct. He will now head home to his home state, and most likely be the centerpiece to his team. He'll be able to focus on his skills even more and grow in to a great center.

I will be rooting for him to become that player we always thought he could be. Good luck Drew, show the east that you're the beast.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby JSM on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks for everything and enjoy your opportunity in Philly. They should have a pretty good, young, athletic club. Drew, J-Rich, Holiday, Turner, Wright, and the Youngs.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby c.Lin on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 pm

We saw him turn from an extremely raw kid to an all-star. I appreciate him toughing it out during the championship run in 2010.

I've always been, more so now than ever, a critic of Andrew, but I'll leave those feelings out since this is an appreciation thread.
c.Lin

Postby gcclaker on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 pm

What I respect about him is that even when he was less than 100 per cent he still went out there and gave it his all having his knee drained just to help. Bynum supported his teammates through everything. During that crazy fourth quarter of Game 7 of the 2010 Finals...he was up and cheering the squad on the bench. Oh...and that spin move around O'Neal to get back at him will always be a moment for him amongst Laker fans.

Good luck in Philly Bynum... You will be surrounded by younger, athletic players that you don't have to cover for and an intense coach in Collins. There's a bank in every city and Philly is one of them.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 pm

gcclaker wrote:What I respect about him is that even when he was less than 100 per cent he still went out there and gave it his all having his knee drained just to help. Bynum supported his teammates through everything. During that crazy fourth quarter of Game 7 of the 2010 Finals...he was up and cheering the squad on the bench. Oh...and that spin move around O'Neal to get back at him will always be a moment for him amongst Laker fans.

Good luck in Philly Bynum... You will be surrounded by younger, athletic players that you don't have to cover for and an intense coach in Collins. There's a bank in every city and Philly is one of them.

Well said.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:31 pm

borri wrote:Waiting for Revgen, Rooscooter, and KeepBynum to make an appearance here. :man1: :man12: :man13:

You rang?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:36 pm

This opportunity is GREAT for Drew -- he gets the team to lead, but he has to earn it and Phily fans won't give him too much slack.. good for him.

I'm gonna miss him; practically my favorite Laker since:

My game was always mainly in the post, so I have always had big man bias... really liked the fire in this one, If he stays healthy and eats a little humble pie, he will be great. No doubt about it.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:50 pm

So fun to watch and I always loved his game. True old school center...it's refreshing to see someone "dominate" like the old centers did. I think he did all he could while playing with Kobe and heading to another team is what he needed to excell even more.

He'll now be the All-Star center in the East for a LONG time (taking Dwight's spot there). And he'll have his own team filled with a bunch of young talent and a great coach. I hope he dominates there like he did here and then some. Kick some A** there and really beat up the Celtics and Heat for us. Hopefully 76ers face the Heat again in the post season bc we all know you're gunna make them scared. Getting out of the East won't be a cake walk for the Heat anymore.

Expect career highs from him next season. He def earned his own team...LA wasn't gunna let him truly grow as long as Kobe was there. so im glad one of my fav players can finally do whatever he wants and be option #1 especially on a team which hasn't had a superstar since Iverson. they'll enjoy you as much as we did all these years. Youngest guy ever to enter into the NBA and will prob always hold that title. His defense will def get better thanks to Coach Collins.

Def appreciate what he did for LA and that dunk on Shaq was NOICE! Big Drew glad I bought your jersey.
Ariza3

Postby KB24 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:55 pm

I think Philly isn't the worst place to end. That's a young team waiting to be led.

I truly think Bynum can post bigger numbers than Dwight but I would take Dwight because of health and consistency and defense.

I wish him the best of luck. He is also lucky Philly didn't give up much for him. The pressure on him to perform isn't huge. Also Mitch probably feels easier giving Dwight a max contract than Bynum and his buggy knees.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 am

Psychobroker wrote:

...the OTHER part of that vid that gives me the giggles is how Parker gets knocked off and nearly flattened by an O'Neal screen.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 am

Farewell to the FORCE, you will be missed. :man6:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 am

KB24 wrote:I think Philly isn't the worst place to end. That's a young team waiting to be led.

I truly think Bynum can post bigger numbers than Dwight but I would take Dwight because of health and consistency and defense.

I wish him the best of luck. He is also lucky Philly didn't give up much for him. The pressure on him to perform isn't huge. Also Mitch probably feels easier giving Dwight a max contract than Bynum and his buggy knees.

Not with those fans... Probably THE worst in The League when it comes to voicing their displeasure. Bynum has the talent to appease them somewhat. Collins will probably feature him much more if not be the centerpiece of their gameplan on both ends.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:11 am

Now that things are quieting down for the night I want to go ahead and thank Bynum again. The dude really sucked it up for us and played tough down the stretch of our 2010 run. He was huge for us then and even though he and Gasol didn't quite work out the way we hoped, he was a legitimate 2nd option here.

He played great for us last season and I think like others have said, he has the ability to be better than Howard. He has the ability to be the best Center in the league. Just not here and just not right now.

I'm confident that Bynum will be a great addition in Philadelphia. The coaching there will be much stricter and give him more boundaries which I think will be good for him. I'll be rooting for him for sure and I hope he comes back and has big games against LA and against the Heat.

Good luck, Drew.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 am

therealdeal wrote:Now that things are quieting down for the night I want to go ahead and thank Bynum again. The dude really sucked it up for us and played tough down the stretch of our 2010 run. He was huge for us then and even though he and Gasol didn't quite work out the way we hoped, he was a legitimate 2nd option here.

He played great for us last season and I think like others have said, he has the ability to be better than Howard. He has the ability to be the best Center in the league. Just not here and just not right now.

I'm confident that Bynum will be a great addition in Philadelphia. The coaching there will be much stricter and give him more boundaries which I think will be good for him. I'll be rooting for him for sure and I hope he comes back and has big games against LA and against the Heat.

Good luck, Drew.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:45 am

GNC wrote:He was a big part of our team these last few years and it was fun seeing him become the player he is now. Wish him the best of luck in Philly and hopefully, being a first option will help him flourish!

^^ +1. Very well said, GNC, and I agree all the way. In some ways, I'm disappointed that we didn't get to see what he was fully capable of. I loved his post game. He's one of the last of a dying breed. You don't see many, or any really, these days with his footwork and skill set. Terrific player to watch on the block and he should continue to dominate there.

But as much as I loved his offensive game and his potential, he best fit our team when he played like Howard. When he focused on defense and rebounding he was such an asset. Problem was he didn't do that consistently. And that hurt us.

All in all Howard is the better fit (if he's healthy and that back problem doesn't hinder him). But I will miss Drew and he did a remarkable job last year in closing the gap between he and Howard as the two top centers in the league. He was arguably becoming the better all around player . . . but again, Howard is the more obvious fit for this Laker team with Nash, Pau and Kobe.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1235 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 am

Hope he gets a hell of an ovation when he comes to Staples Center.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 am

Lakerjones wrote:But as much as I loved his offensive game and his potential, he best fit our team when he played like Howard. When he focused on defense and rebounding he was such an asset. Problem was he didn't do that consistently. And that hurt us.

LJ I miss you around here. This was probably the best way to put this.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby East_LA on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:53 am

Im gonna miss YOLO. Does Dwight shoot 3s?
RIP Chick Hearn.
East_LA

Postby purp n gold on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 am

No question he contributed big time as a Laker. Thanks for everything, Drew.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:55 am

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:But as much as I loved his offensive game and his potential, he best fit our team when he played like Howard. When he focused on defense and rebounding he was such an asset. Problem was he didn't do that consistently. And that hurt us.

^^ :bow: Thanks realdeal! I'm here. Just was laying low during my vacation! This is some big news today, though, yeah? :jam2:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:04 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

^^ :bow: Thanks realdeal! I'm here. Just was laying low during my vacation! This is some big news today, though, yeah? :jam2:

Well I always love seeing that you posted something because I know it'll be a good read. I hope vacation went well. :bow:

As for the news... I'd say this is a pretty big news day. :man10: I'll be extremely interested in seeing who all the other pieces moving are. I'd love to see some depth added somewhere to our squad. Not to mention, what free agents would like to come here now with Howard on board.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 am

^^ Thank you realdeal. Likewise - always a pleasure to read what you've got to say. Yeah, I'm wondering who we'll get in FA to fill in that much needed backup SG spot. Someone's got to want to come here and get a ring.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Fulzgold on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:13 am

Lakerjones wrote:
GNC wrote:But as much as I loved his offensive game and his potential, he best fit our team when he played like Howard. When he focused on defense and rebounding he was such an asset. Problem was he didn't do that consistently. And that hurt us.

Yeah, because Drew's a natural scorer and he's gonna average a TON of points for Philly, where he won't have any ball-stoppers to deal with. Good Luck Drew, stay healthy Big Fella. You were my favorite Laker (until you started acting weird this past year, lol).
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby kenzo on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:I remember the Thank you Pau and lamar thread :man10:

Bud... stop trying to jinx it :man12: ... i remember it too though :mad1:
kenzo

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:22 am

Fulzgold wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
GNC wrote:But as much as I loved his offensive game and his potential, he best fit our team when he played like Howard. When he focused on defense and rebounding he was such an asset. Problem was he didn't do that consistently. And that hurt us.

Yeah, because Drew's a natural scorer and he's gonna average a TON of points for Philly, where he won't have any ball-stoppers to deal with. Good Luck Drew, stay healthy Big Fella. You were my favorite Laker (until you started acting weird this past year, lol).

I agree, he's a heck of an offensive player. Best post game of any current big. And he makes it look so easy at times. His footwork is stellar. Nice shooting touch, great soft hands, good feel around the rim. He makes Howard look really unpolished in comparison.

But again, it's about fitting the team, and Howard is perfect with our new lineup. Howard's help D is going to be so important. Bynum COULD do that, but it's not his natural role as you said.

I honestly think Bynum starting acting weird after he found out he was dangled for Howard at the trade deadline. Revgen mentioned this and I think he was right about it. I think his defensiveness ("there's an ATM in every town") came from that fact that he was actually on the block this year. In years past there were rumors only - but he knew this time that he had dangled as trade bait.

In the end he's better off in Philly as many posters have said. Best of luck to Drew for sure. I look forward to him beating up on the rest of the East.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard