Andrew Bynum Appreciation Thread

Re: Andrew Bynum Appreciation Thread

Postby bystander on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:03 am

If only he could had been more mature this move might have been not necessary. It's a pity, he showed glimpses of being a great awesome player. Wish him nothing but good luck.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Fulzgold on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 am

GNC wrote:But as much as I loved his offensive game and his potential, he best fit our team when he played like Howard. When he focused on defense and rebounding he was such an asset. Problem was he didn't do that consistently. And that hurt us.

Fulzgold wrote: Yeah, because Drew's a natural scorer and he's gonna average a TON of points for Philly, where he won't have any ball-stoppers to deal with. Good Luck Drew, stay healthy Big Fella. You were my favorite Laker (until you started acting weird this past year, lol).

Lakerjones wrote:I agree, he's a heck of an offensive player. Best post game of any current big. And he makes it look so easy at times. His footwork is stellar. Nice shooting touch, great soft hands, good feel around the rim. He makes Howard look really unpolished in comparison.

But again, it's about fitting the team, and Howard is perfect with our new lineup. Howard's help D is going to be so important. Bynum COULD do that, but it's not his natural role as you said.

Howard'd help D is going to be quite valuable for us, but let's not forget he has also evolved into a pretty good post player himself. Year before last (last full healthy season) he basically tied with LBJ and Love as the most efficient player in the league:
http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Ef ... 1&splitDD=

*Interesting to note Pau was 5th and Kobe 19th

Dwight should be getting the ball a ton and I think the key to us reaching our unstoppable potential again will rest on Kobe's ability to recognize that he shouldnt be jacking up a ton of shots, particularly in isolation situations.

Lakerjones wrote: I honestly think Bynum starting acting weird after he found out he was dangled for Howard at the trade deadline. Revgen mentioned this and I think he was right about it. I think his defensiveness ("there's an ATM in every town") came from that fact that he was actually on the block this year. In years past there were rumors only - but he knew this time that he had dangled as trade bait.

In the end he's better off in Philly as many posters have said. Best of luck to Drew for sure. I look forward to him beating up on the rest of the East.

Yeah Revgen's theory makes sense. I also think in the end, Drew, like Shaq but on a smaller scale, didn't like playing under Kobe's thumb. He's an alpha-male and I would think he's really gonna flourish as a number 1 option in Philly. Then Cuban's gonna sign him probably, haha!
Last edited by Fulzgold on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby 100%effort on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks Drew.
100%effort

Postby Vindicated on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks Drew! :bow:

Bring your 3 point bomb in Philly! :man1:
“Look, we don’t get five championships by being sympathetic towards each other and kissing each other’s a– during the game,” Bryant said Wednesday when asked about the Lakers’ upcoming game against the Thunder next week. “I’m going to demolish him. He understands that. If he switches off on me in the post, there’s going to be problems. I’m sure he’ll put an elbow right in my back, and that’s why we love each other.”
Vindicated

Postby borri on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:38 am

Vindicated wrote:Thanks Drew! :bow:

Bring your 3 point bomb in Philly! :man1:

Doug Collins is gonna rip Drew a new one if he tries to shoot a 3. Collins one mean [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.].
borri

Postby XXIV on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:46 am

Best of luck in Philly Drew, try and prolong the series vs Miami. :man12:
XXIV

Postby Nashty Gal on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 am

Try not to eat too many cheese steaks in philly Drew
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:00 am

Awesome write up from Land O'Lakers ESPN Lakers Blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/32063/fare-thee-well-andrew-bynum#more

Andrew Bynum's rookie campaign was low on meaningful moments or minutes, particularly as the season progressed, but there nonetheless was one sequence for the ages. On Jan. 16, 2006, against the Miami Heat, Bynum packed about as much excitement as humanly possible into 3 minutes, 31 seconds of a first-half run. The kid was well outside the rotation, having logged less than nine combined minutes over the previous 10 games. But with Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm both in foul trouble and Shaquille O'Neal on the floor, Phil Jackson's hand was forced. A center newly of voting age was pressed into action.

Little time passed before he found himself on the wrong end of a "Diesel" dunk, a posterization ferocious enough to fear injury would result. (As I described the sequence, "it was like watching the roof collapse on a wheelchair-bound puppy.") It would have been understandable if Bynum had been too frazzled to bring much to the table afterward. Instead, the kid set up between the circles on the right side of the block, then left O'Neal in his dust with a spin move to the rack. So (rightfully) jacked up was the youngster, he opted to deliver a little elbow nudge to Shaq as the two went upcourt. "Superman" responded with a legit forearm shiver, and the two had to be separated.

In that moment, we learned a few things about Bynum: Even while absurdly inexperienced to be playing in the NBA, he contained real potential to become a talented player. This also was not a kid easily intimidated, nor content to bide his time before making his presence felt.

For better and for worse, this has been Andrew Bynum in a nutshell during his seven years as a Laker.

Often, this burning desire to be an integral part of the action has served the Lakers well. For example, the way he seemingly transformed overnight from the kid Kobe wanted to "ship out" for Jason Kidd into the center who convinced "The Mamba" his team was a championship contender even before Pau Gasol's arrival. Fuzzy history has since gone on to credit Kobe's parking lot tantrum as Bynum's motivation to improve, but he'd already been working hard with a personal trainer during the offseason. Bouts with on-court laziness acknowledged, Bynum nonetheless maintains a very high standard for himself as a player.

That urge to be a part of the action also explains why the center dragged himself around on one leg through the 2010 playoffs. After missing the whole postseason party in 2008 and operating as a semi-hobbled afterthought in 2009, Bynum wasn't just itching for a real taste of a deep run. He also recognized, even at a young age, that the opportunities to take true part in a title run can be fleeting. This chance was in front of him, and Bynum was determined not to waste it. By the time Game 7 against Boston rolled around, he was visibly limited and probably couldn't have handled a "Game 8." But make no mistake. Drew showed real guts in this effort to contribute to a title defense, impressing teammates, coaches, the front office and yours truly in the process.

However, that unwillingness to wait or acquiesce also has its downside. Over the past few years, even in his most dedicated moments defensively, Bynum's touches and role in the offense have been a point of contention. When deemed less than satisfactory, lackluster effort and mental lapses are disturbingly possible. And while it was impressive to see his boots fail to quake in Shaq's presence, authority figures often failed to register with Bynum as he grew older. Mike Brown and Mitch Kupchak both were treated dismissively on different occasions during a season marked with petulance. (Plus, that whole handicapped parking incident.) As much as I often appreciated Drew's candid nature, which served as an oasis in a desert filled with cliched soundbites and safe responses, I also wondered whether it reflected a general lack of concern toward consequences of any kind.

During his exit interview this past season, Bynum talked about the importance of playing for his teammates as much as himself and becoming a leader with the Lakers. That opportunity instead waits in Philadelphia, now that he is part of the Lakers' trade for Dwight Howard, but it's certainly Bynum's to earn (rather than take). And I really hope he does make good on this chance. This past season, I frequently expressed exasperation with Bynum's attitude, but generally speaking, I enjoyed my time covering him since the moment he entered the league. And even if I didn't, Drew is a talented player, and it's exciting to see greatness milked for all it's worth.

Bynum has long itched for the situation he's about to enter in Philadelphia. You can debate whether he's ready to handle that responsibility, but either way, it has been apparent for some time that a change of scenery was likely necessary for him to feel satisfied. Hopefully, the setting will prove to be what Drew wants, and he'll take full advantage.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 am

While the duo of Gasol and Odom took most of the crunch time minutes...I don't recall Bynum complaining about it. Even when Bryant implied that he is not up on the hierarchy after he and Gasol, he did not tread on a verbal war. When his chance came, Bynum asserted himself and it reaped dividends as far recognition. Sure, he is candid and was prone to bad judgements but he never was trouble in the lockerroom.

Given good health, the sky is the limit for him. I think he and Holliday make a good duo. I'm not familiar with Turner who seems to be an enigma or the rest of the Philly squad but they do have a young, up and coming crew watching them in last season's playoffs. Now Bynum will have to lead instead of being a third rung albeit a key one. They will be leaning on his experience to keep matters together on and off the floor.

Collins while being a hyper sort is also a "people" person who knows how to manage egos [Pat Riley Lite?] so I think he and Bynum should co-exist.

On another note, parts of 2007 plus the first third of that 2008 season when he was emerging as a force gave me hope that Bynum was legit. Then that injury against Memphis happened...but he slogged through the next season like nails.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:16 am

Not the biggest Bynum fan, but I wish him the best in Philly. Should be a good fit for both parties.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:17 am

Good luck in Philly. Thanks for contributing to two rings. Thanks for netting us Dwight

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Whatthef? on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:19 am

Hope he beats up on Miami, Chi and Boston!
Whatthef?

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

thank you, Drew

be a nightmare for the Heat and Celtics....wish you nothing but the best...except when we play the Sixers
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:30 am

it's gunna be an adjustment for sure not having talent like Kobe or Pau around him. He's gunna be doubled and tripled every night...gotta work on passing out of those but I think he'll have an even better season than this past one.

beat up the Heat for us!!
Ariza3

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:42 am

East_LA wrote:Im gonna miss YOLO. Does Dwight shoot 3s?

He actually shot 7 last year - 2 more than Drew - and missed them all .. :man9:
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby kenshi1023 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:50 am

big bynum! you will be beasting it over in the east coast!
and you are reunited with your old time buddy.

lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby TIME on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:48 pm

I'll always appreciate the way Andrew played through knee pain to help us win a couple of rings. Wish him Eastern Conference dominating success. My ideal scenario would be a Lakers - Sixers Finals matchup the next couple of years.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:55 pm

as happy as we are, you gotta think philly fans are super-excited too. drew is something they sorely needed
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 pm

fksteveblake wrote:as happy as we are, you gotta think philly fans are super-excited too. drew is something they sorely needed

Denver just landed Iguodala too. :man10: They've got a 2-3 combo of Iguodala and Chandler, one of the best out there. I mean damn.

Orlando is the only team that should look back and sigh.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Will continue to follow the big fella from a far. Best of luck in Philly and rest of his career.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 pm

kenshi1023 wrote:big bynum! you will be beasting it over in the east coast!
and you are reunited with your old time buddy.

The man who taught him everything he knows.

Anyways, good luck in Philly big fella. Would be nice to meet you in the Finals.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby hypotenuse on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Classy thread, exactly why i logged on and wanted to make this thread or post in it.

Bynum will be missed and was greatly appreciated in Lakerland. He gave it his all the entire time he was here, especially in 2010 where he was getting his leg drained every couple of days during the Boston series. Truthfully speaking there were times when he and the head coach didn't see eye to eye but it was most likely because of his youth, his passion and the fact that the Lakers were paying him so much at such a young age. He may have just had some bad luck the last couple of years with the injury bug and I wish him the best in Philly. He has the potential to essentially be a greater offensive and possibly defensive threat than Howard, given his championship exp and also greater wingspan and height.

Thanks for all the blood, sweat and tears you gave the Lakers during your tenure here. You will be missed.

Postby revgen on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm glad he's going to Philly rather than rotting in Houston, Orlando, or Cleveland.

He'll have the athletic perimeter players that are necessary to funnel guards to him rather than him having to go to the 3pt line and help. He can be a natural paint protector and rebounder. He'll also have a PF to spread the floor giving him space to operate in Spencer Hawes. I see Philly having a pretty nice balanced starting lineup with Bynum in the mix. He'll also have a better coach in Doug Collins.

Philly is also a better fit for him personality wise. If he brings results on the court then that's all that matters. He doesn't need to smile for the camera and say cheese.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks Drew for all you done for the Lakers. I honestly think he acted like an @ss this year intentionally so it would hurt his trade value, and he would'nt get moved. Too bad it backfired. Good luck in Philly!
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Wrath12X on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Good luck in Philly Drew! I appreciate everything you did for us fans, and the Lakers!
Wrath12X

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard