Andrew Bynum > Tim Duncan

Re: Andrew Bynum > Tim Duncan

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed May 02, 2012 6:34 pm

24K GOLD wrote:When did lazy, fat and out-of-shape start becoming qualities of a supposed once in a lifetime superstar?

Are you seriously trying to deny Shaq was a once in a lifetime player? Yes he may of been lazy and at times out of shape, but there is no denying he was a once in a lifetime type player. In the 5 years after Jordan retired Shaq averaged between 25-30 ppg, 10-13 rpg, and shot over 55% each season in that time frame.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby 24K GOLD on Wed May 02, 2012 6:37 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Are you seriously trying to deny Shaq was a once in a lifetime player? Yes he may of been lazy and at times out of shape, but there is no denying he was a once in a lifetime type player. In the 5 years after Jordan retired Shaq averaged between 25-30 ppg, 10-13 rpg, and shot over 55% each season in that time frame.

A freak of nature is different from a transcendent superstar.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby 24K GOLD on Wed May 02, 2012 6:38 pm

Doberman wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:Dwight? He doesn't even know how to post up properly

So you agree with me on that then. Thank you. :jam2:

Is this supposed to be sarcastic? Well you have an absurd man-crush on Bynum but I won't really put monkeyball Dwight over him.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Shaq may have been fat, entitled, and a jack*** but that doesn't mean he wasn't a once in a lifetime type of talent.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:Shaq may have been fat, entitled, and a jack*** but that doesn't mean he wasn't a once in a lifetime type of talent.

I'm not a huge shaq fan, but he wasn't even that fat/lazy til the end. He was amazing for us at points.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed May 02, 2012 8:23 pm

There are only 4 players in NBA history with 5000+ points and Shaq is one of them.

Only Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell have more rebounds than Shaq in NBA Playoffs history.

Olajuwon and Abdul-Jabbar are the only players with more Playoffs blocks than Shaq (Tim Duncan will surpass him VERY soon though).

You don't accomplish that just by being a freak of nature. Shaq was not only a great body, he was not Kareem or Hakeem in post moves, but he was pretty damn good also.

Shaq was, without a doubt, a once in a lifetime type of talent.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby nthydro on Thu May 03, 2012 2:16 am

KeepBynum wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:When did lazy, fat and out-of-shape start becoming qualities of a supposed once in a lifetime superstar?

Are you seriously trying to deny Shaq was a once in a lifetime player? Yes he may of been lazy and at times out of shape, but there is no denying he was a once in a lifetime type player. In the 5 years after Jordan retired Shaq averaged between 25-30 ppg, 10-13 rpg, and shot over 55% each season in that time frame.

Shaq is most definitely a once in a lifetime player. The scary part was he was able to dominate with a half a$$ work ethic. Imagine if he had Kobe's dedication. He would be right there with MJ in the GOAT discussion.
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Thu May 03, 2012 2:19 am

24K GOLD wrote:
Doberman wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:Dwight? He doesn't even know how to post up properly

So you agree with me on that then. Thank you. :jam2:

Is this supposed to be sarcastic? Well you have an absurd man-crush on Bynum but I won't really put monkeyball Dwight over him.

I think he IS Bynum :man3:
nthydro

Postby Lakerjones on Thu May 03, 2012 9:07 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:There are only 4 players in NBA history with 5000+ points and Shaq is one of them.

Only Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell have more rebounds than Shaq in NBA Playoffs history.

Olajuwon and Abdul-Jabbar are the only players with more Playoffs blocks than Shaq (Tim Duncan will surpass him VERY soon though).

You don't accomplish that just by being a freak of nature. Shaq was not only a great body, he was not Kareem or Hakeem in post moves, but he was pretty damn good also.

Shaq was, without a doubt, a once in a lifetime type of talent.

Agreed. Shaq was definitely once in a generation talent. Too big, too much agility, too much everything. Other than Wilt and Jordan I do think he was the most dominant player ever. Thing is, it didn't last long because of just what everyone pointed out. Not enough dedication to working out and maximizing his body and gifts. But the gifts themselves were ridiculous: superhuman size and athleticism. Unbelievable.

I get where 24k Gold is coming from though - Duncan was quite the opposite. He was a purist's dream: a quiet, humble guy with a monstrous competitive fire. He honed his big man skills perfectly and truly worked hard throughout his career to sustain himself and better his game. One of the best ever.

Bynum has years and years of catch up to do with Duncan because of his injuries and also his late coming to basketball. He's a smart kid and he learned a lot under the Cap. Needs to grow up a bit, but he's shown flashes of real greatness. He's getting better and better and working on his consistency on both ends. I'm still waiting on the time when Bynum plays a long, long stretch of great games on both sides of the floor. Seems like he still gets caught in one or the other mode - heavy scoring games, or heavy rebound/defensive games. He can do both brilliantly when he's healthy and firing on all cylinders. Got to be patient.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:12 am

I didn't care for the thread enough to read the OP but figured I'd check the last page (7) and see what was being said just in case the thread was worth reading..... WOW...

If the arguments of all 7 pages are like the ones on this page I am glad I didn't allow my IQ to be attacked in such away my brains may actually run from my head. Um, Shaq, for all his A-holeness, is once in a life time player plain and simple. Say what you will about him but to deny that is to show a true lack of any competent BBall IQ. Andrew is become a great player but will not be considered a once-in-a-lifetime player in my opinion but he can (and should end up) being one of the greats when its all said and done.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

Another thing I'm waiting for from Bynum is conditioning. I think that's part of what's holding him back as well. He can be dominant on both ends of the floor, but he gets tired quickly. I know it's hard for a big body to get in running shape, but it's possible.

Remember when Cap took up martial arts and it helped him stay lean? I know Bynum is a fan of boxing, he should continue training there. I want to see him able to move around quicker and faster.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 am

I'm sincerely hoping that people are not comparing Bynum to Shaq
Center Court

Postby KB&AB on Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 am

this is silly. No, andrew bynum is not better than tim duncan. but i noticed some of bynum's moves are very similar to tim duncan's. did you guys know that bynum's idol is tim duncan? thats why bynum has a variety of moves that dwight howard can't. i hope Bynum continues to watch and study tim duncan and maybe a little shaq. i think bynum has combine of tim/shaq. thats great! Andrew Bynum (tim/shaq) >> dwight howard (shaq).
KB&AB

Postby KB&AB on Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

Bynum already has some nice moves at only 19 years old. just watch.
KB&AB

Postby LAKEROC on Thu May 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Shaq would be the all-time leader in points today, and possibly greater than Jordan as the games greatest player, if he learned to make his free throws, and had the work ethic of Kobe Bryant. He did those two things, and you would have had to ban him from the league he would be that unstoppable. His weakness was always himself.
LAKEROC

Postby LAKEROC on Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Center Court wrote:I'm sincerely hoping that people are not comparing Bynum to Shaq

Bynum reminds me of a hybrid at times between Shaq and Tim Duncan
LAKEROC

Postby easyguy on Thu May 03, 2012 1:13 pm

LAKEROC wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'm sincerely hoping that people are not comparing Bynum to Shaq

Bynum reminds me of a hybrid at times between Shaq and Tim Duncan

If that was the case, he would have been the greatest center of all time, but he is not. He is leaning toward Shaq like than Duncan.
easyguy

Postby nthydro on Thu May 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Doberman wrote:Duncan has played weakside defender for most of his career. It was David Robinson that was their defensive anchor to start. And after that, they brought in Rasho to clog the lane and block shots. Spurs defense was best when Duncan was weakside. He's rarely been asked to be THE anchor the way Bynum has that responsibility.

Are you kidding me? Duncan was a superb post defender. David Robinson was the better weakside defender. Whenever Robinson went up against anyone with a good back to the basket game (Hakeem, Shaq) he got annihilated.
nthydro

Postby Doberman on Thu May 03, 2012 6:05 pm

nthydro wrote:
Doberman wrote:Duncan has played weakside defender for most of his career. It was David Robinson that was their defensive anchor to start. And after that, they brought in Rasho to clog the lane and block shots. Spurs defense was best when Duncan was weakside. He's rarely been asked to be THE anchor the way Bynum has that responsibility.

Are you kidding me? Duncan was a superb post defender. David Robinson was the better weakside defender. Whenever Robinson went up against anyone with a good back to the basket game (Hakeem, Shaq) he got annihilated.

You're dodging the point. DROB played anchorman. Duncan was always the weakside defender. Every Spurs fan will tell you this. So would anyone who watched the Spurs back then.
Doberman

Postby nthydro on Thu May 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Doberman wrote:Individually speaking, Duncan simply couldn't impose himself physically the way Bynum can. That's because Bynum is way bigger, taller, longer, etc. Duncan is actually 6'10-6'11. Bynum is a legit 7'1. Bynum also has 20-30 pounds on Duncan. Here's a comparison of some benchmark games in their careers:

First 40 point game:

Bynum - 21 years, 86 days
Duncan - 23 years, 228 days

First 20 rebound game:

Bynum - 23 years, 160 days
Duncan - 21 years, 191 days

First Playoff Triple Double:

Bynum - 24 years, 183 days
Duncan - 25 years, 360 days

Duncan has never had a 30 rebound game
Duncan has never had a 10 block game

Duncan's career high in scoring a 50-point game, but I'm confident that somewhere down the line, Drew will have a 50-point game in his career as well.

Duncan is/was a great player and has achieved alot, but he also had the rare fortune of being in a position to win immediately. Most #1 picks end up on the worst team in the league. The Spurs only got the #1 pick because David Robinson was injured for the year, and they tanked. So Robinson comes back the next season AND they added Tim Duncan. Instant contenders.

Not trying to take anything away from Duncan, but it's obvious even now, that Bynum has the physical ability to do much more damage than Duncan ever could. If we can get the right pieces on this team after Kobe, I think we can win 2-3 more rings with Bynum as our franchise player.

These "stats" you provided to prove your point are so weak and really makes little sense. You're basically saying Bynum did this or that at an earlier age than Duncan blah blah blah. So what? How does that prove he's the superior player? First of all, if you were to make that type of argument it would make more sense if you listed how many games or seasons it took them to accomplish such feat, versus their ages. Bynum came in the league at 17, Duncan came in around 21 or 22. But even then, it's weak reasoning. Why? Cause they play two different positions but more importantly their best years are too far apart. Duncans best years were in the early to mid 2000s. Bynums best year is...well now. We're talking a 7-10 year difference. A lot has change since then. And more importantly, Duncan had MUCH tougher competition. The PF position was the deepest in the league at that time. Who does Bynum really have to contend with at center these days? Umm...Dwight Howard? Let's face it, most of his competitors are garbage. Can you imagine Bynum playing in the 90s against Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, and even defensive centers like Mourning and Mutombo? And you mention Bynum's 30 rebounds and 10 blocks games as further reasons why he's superior. Really? One or two game achievements makes you the better player? In that case I guess Elgin Baylor, David Thompson, David Robinson, Wilt Chamberlain, and Kobe are all better than Michael Jordan right? They all scored more than Jordan's career high (69 pts). You see how ludicrous that sounds? How bout you wait till Bynum put together at least 3-4 dominant seasons before you even make the comparison? You don't become a legend or hall of famer by having a couple great seasons. Duncan played at a high level for over 10 years. Bynum's only played ONE great season. It's way too early to tell. But IMO he will not get anywhere near Duncan's or Shaq's level. For you to even compare them at this point just shows the extent of your bias and homerism.The fact that you're getting flamed on a LAKERS forum should be enough to tell you how ridiculous your argument is.
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Thu May 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Doberman wrote:
nthydro wrote:

You're dodging the point. DROB played anchorman. Duncan was always the weakside defender. Every Spurs fan will tell you this. So would anyone who watched the Spurs back then.

Yeah and every Spurs fan will laugh in your face when you tell them Bynum > Duncan :man10:

But honestly are you arguing that Bynum is a better player cause he has to anchor the defense? Ibaka has to anchor OKC's defense...so what's your point exactly? And no Bynum is not a better defender than prime Duncan. You do realize Duncan's been all defensive team 10+ years right? Does Bynum have the potential to be the better defender? With his length and size, I could definitely see that happening. But as of right now, no he is not.
Last edited by nthydro on Thu May 03, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nthydro

Postby Doberman on Thu May 03, 2012 6:16 pm

nthydro wrote:
Doberman wrote:You're dodging the point. DROB played anchorman. Duncan was always the weakside defender. Every Spurs fan will tell you this. So would anyone who watched the Spurs back then.

Yeah and every Spurs fan will laugh in your face when you tell them Bynum > Duncan :man10:

That's fine. You were wrong about Robinson.
Doberman

Postby nthydro on Thu May 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Doberman wrote:
nthydro wrote:
Doberman wrote:You're dodging the point. DROB played anchorman. Duncan was always the weakside defender. Every Spurs fan will tell you this. So would anyone who watched the Spurs back then.

I was wrong IN YOUR OPINION. And your opinions, I might add is not viewed as being very accurate amongst others on this message board.
nthydro

Postby Doberman on Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm

nthydro wrote:
Doberman wrote:

I was wrong IN YOUR OPINION. And your opinions, I might add is not viewed as being very accurate amongst others on this message board.

No. It's a fact that Robinson was the anchor on D and Duncan was the weakside defender.
Doberman

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Fri May 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Doberman is right about Robinson and Duncan in terms of who anchored. Saying it was Duncan is like saying Gasol anchors when he and Bynum share the court.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard