Andrew Bynum > Tim Duncan

Re: Andrew Bynum > Tim Duncan

Postby TIME on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:31 pm

JUST-MING wrote:Andrew Bynum > Shaquille O`Neal. Never had 30 rebounds. Never had a playoff triple double. Only swept once in the playoffs. Not a coach killer either. He's okay with Mr. Potato Head.

Thank you. Your comparison made the point more effectively than I did.

Doberman, his example shows how a selective comparison of outlier games can tweek what should be an obvious conclusion.

I will say this though. At his very best moments Andrew is incredibly impressive. The most glaring difference between Andrew and Timmy is that Duncan was consistently great. Andrew may go for 30 boards one night and then 2 the next time he plays the same team.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Barnstable wrote:Really? Another ">" thread?

THIS
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby gcclaker on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:This season? Sure.

Over a career? Jesus Christ, no.

These threads are getting more and more ridiculous.

Yes... This sums it up. ONE season does not make greatness. Bynum has the talent, CONSISTENCY will determine whether he will be in the conversation.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 pm

You mean in his career? If so... :man3: .
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JUST-MING on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Doberman wrote:Individually speaking, Duncan simply couldn't impose himself physically the way Bynum can. That's because Bynum is way bigger, taller, longer, etc. Duncan is actually 6'10-6'11. Bynum is a legit 7'1.

Google how many times Olajuwon had a triple double w/ 10 blocks and in the playoffs. Only 6'10".
JUST-MING

Postby Doberman on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:06 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
Doberman wrote:Individually speaking, Duncan simply couldn't impose himself physically the way Bynum can. That's because Bynum is way bigger, taller, longer, etc. Duncan is actually 6'10-6'11. Bynum is a legit 7'1.

Google how many times Olajuwon had a triple double w/ 10 blocks and in the playoffs. Only 6'10".

Yeah, but Hakeem had freak athleticism that Duncan doesn't.
Doberman

Postby MadMax on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 pm

everyone complains about these threads, but they seem to always garner a lot of pages.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby dane99 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:43 pm

doberman tim duncan is the greatest pf ever in the history of the NBA. greatest my friend. please do not disturb other members any more.
dane99

Postby Alcindor on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 pm

MadMax wrote:everyone complains about these threads, but they seem to always garner a lot of pages.

Car accidents get a lot of people slowing down to look too.
Alcindor

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Doberman wrote:And Bynum has yet to see his prime but he's already done things Duncan didn't.

Like launch an ill-advised three and get his butt benched for it.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:12 pm

dane99 wrote:doberman tim duncan is the greatest pf ever in the history of the NBA. greatest my friend. please do not disturb other members any more.

Not going to lie, this made me laugh.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Then how come Timmy took Andrew's lunch box the last time they played? Bynum looked like a punk out there. 2 rebounds. 2. And Timmy was schooling him from every spot on the floor. This from a 33 year old who had no business kicking Drew's butt. Yet he did. Drew shot poorly against him. Granted Duncan got away with murder in terms of shoving Drew around physically. But even that was pretty shocking.

Personally I think Drew took it way too easy on him. I do think that his hero worship of TD made him more passive than he should have been. Still, Duncan made him look bad in that game.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Finwë wrote:
Barnstable wrote:Really? Another ">" thread?

THIS

That.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby tttppp on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Then how come Timmy took Andrew's lunch box the last time they played? Bynum looked like a punk out there. 2 rebounds. 2. And Timmy was schooling him from every spot on the floor. This from a 33 year old who had no business kicking Drew's butt. Yet he did. Drew shot poorly against him. Granted Duncan got away with murder in terms of shoving Drew around physically. But even that was pretty shocking.

Personally I think Drew took it way too easy on him. I do think that his hero worship of TD made him more passive than he should have been. Still, Duncan made him look bad in that game.

And Bynum has made Duncan look old in many games too.
tttppp

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:47 pm

^^ Not the last two games. Just seems like an odd time to bring it up - after Tim Duncan just schooled him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby tttppp on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Not the last two games. Just seems like an odd time to bring it up - after Tim Duncan just schooled him.

Bynum's a young and inconsistent player right now. He's just starting to get his grove after being injured the past few seasons. When Bynum plays his best, there is nothing Duncan can do about it. Bynum can do everything Duncan can, except Bynum is bigger.
tttppp

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:59 pm

tttppp wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:^^ Not the last two games. Just seems like an odd time to bring it up - after Tim Duncan just schooled him.

Bynum's a young and inconsistent player right now. He's just starting to get his grove after being injured the past few seasons. When Bynum plays his best, there is nothing Duncan can do about it. Bynum can do everything Duncan can, except Bynum is bigger.

All true except your last statement. And while we're at it let's just keep what you said at the top in mind. This is Bynum's first FULL season as a starter in 7 years. He's inconsistent and he's made huge strides this year. I've really enjoyed watching him get better. But Tim Duncan is a top 10-15 player all time. There's a real big difference there. Bynum needs to put together years of great seasons before he's in his category. Plus Tim Duncan has played PF for most of his career for good reason. Of course Bynum is bigger. That doesn't make him better. It makes him a Center, not a PF.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Aww great. Does this mean Lebron is better than Kobe too? This is getting ridic.
JGC

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:03 pm

If you're talking about right now, then ok, sure you might have an argument. You're talking about arguably the best PF to ever play the game though, so this thread is kind of silly IMO. Duncan was the main guy on multiple championship teams, he's one of the most fundamentally sound players ever, he had multiple playoff runs to titles where he was huge on offense AND defense in that he was extremely consistent even though he never put up huge points. I love Drew, I'm happy he's playing D right now, I'm glad he's healthy this year, and he's clearly improved overall this season, but come on, Bynum is not greater than Tim Duncan, you're comparing a guy on the rise that's very good, to an all time great, it's kind of ridiculous.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby tttppp on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:07 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
tttppp wrote:

All true except your last statement. And while we're at it let's just keep what you said at the top in mind. This is Bynum's first FULL season as a starter in 7 years. He's inconsistent and he's made huge strides this year. I've really enjoyed watching him get better. But Tim Duncan is a top 10-15 player all time. There's a real big difference there. Bynum needs to put together years of great seasons before he's in his category. Plus Tim Duncan has played PF for most of his career for good reason. Of course Bynum is bigger. That doesn't make him better. It makes him a Center, not a PF.

Duncan is an undersized center, not a power forward. If you want to give Duncan a medal for being consistent, I'm ok with that. But the truth is he's not dominant. The Spurs win championships whenever everyone else in the league sucks. Whenever there's another championship caliber team out there, they get their butts beat.

If Bynum stays healthy and continues to be more consistent, there's is no reason why he can't be better than Duncan.
Last edited by tttppp on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tttppp

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:10 pm

I love lamp.....

.....Meow!!
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 am

Weezy wrote:If you're talking about right now, then ok, sure you might have an argument. You're talking about arguably the best PF to ever play the game though, so this thread is kind of silly IMO. Duncan was the main guy on multiple championship teams, he's one of the most fundamentally sound players ever, he had multiple playoff runs to titles where he was huge on offense AND defense in that he was extremely consistent even though he never put up huge points. I love Drew, I'm happy he's playing D right now, I'm glad he's healthy this year, and he's clearly improved overall this season, but come on, Bynum is not greater than Tim Duncan, you're comparing a guy on the rise that's very good, to an all time great, it's kind of ridiculous.

^^ Thank you Weezy for some sanity. Well said. :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:15 am

tttppp wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
tttppp wrote:

Duncan is an undersized center, not a power forward. If you want to give Duncan a medal for being consistent, I'm ok with that. But the truth is he's not dominant. The Spurs win championships whenever everyone else in the league sucks. Whenever there's another championship caliber team out there, they get their butts beat.

If Bynum stays healthy and continues to be more consistent, there's is no reason why he can't be better than Duncan.

Most of his career (if not all of it) Duncan has been a PF. I'm not giving out medals to anyone. Duncan has had a stellar career. He's top 10-15 all time without any question whatsoever. I'm not even a fan of the guy but the comparison or the statement that Bynum is better after one single healthy season as a starter is ludicrous.

I don't know what your definition of dominant is and I don't really care about it. The guy has 4 championships and there was plenty of competition in the league including the Lakers with Shaq. He has 4 rings as the best player on his team. Bynum is a terrific young talent who is earning his stripes and might someday be as good as Tim Duncan. He ain't there yet. Better than Duncan after 7 years already in the league? He's going to have to keep on working pretty hard if he's going to come close to matching Timmy D.'s resume.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby tttppp on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:19 am

Lakerjones wrote:
Most of his career (if not all of it) Duncan has been a PF. I'm not giving out medals to anyone. Duncan has had a stellar career. He's top 10-15 all time without any question whatsoever. I'm not even a fan of the guy but the comparison or the statement that Bynum is better after one single healthy season as a starter is ludicrous.

I don't know what your definition of dominant is and I don't really care about it. The guy has 4 championships and there was plenty of competition in the league including the Lakers with Shaq. He has 4 rings as the best player on his team. Bynum is a terrific young talent who is earning his stripes and might someday be as good as Tim Duncan. He ain't there yet. Better than Duncan after 7 years already in the league? He's going to have to keep on working pretty hard if he's going to come close to matching Timmy D.'s resume.

I never said Bynum has had a better career. I all I said was that if he stayed healthy and got more consistent, he'd be better than Duncan.

Just because Duncan was only the second biggest player on his team some years, does not make him a pf. In those years, the Spurs played with 2 centers. Just like the Lakers do now. Gasol is basically an undersized center like Duncan.
tttppp

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 am

tttppp wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

I never said Bynum has had a better career. I all I said was that if he stayed healthy and got more consistent, he'd be better than Duncan.

Just because Duncan was only the second biggest player on his team some years, does not make him a pf. In those years, the Spurs played with 2 centers. Just like the Lakers do now. Gasol is basically an undersized center like Duncan.

^^ What are we even talking about here? Last I checked under Tim Duncan's player stats he was, is and continues to be listed as a PF. So is Gasol. I don't care what your opinion about his position is. The fact remains that he's a PF.

Can Bynum be a better center than Duncan? Sure. Duncan's not a center. Can Duncan be a better PF than Bynum? You betcha. Not hard to imagine it really.

This is getting tedious. As mentioned, last I checked Duncan is an all time great. Bynum's got a long freaking way to go to catch up to him. By this time in their respective careers Duncan had averaged over 20 points a game and double digit rebounds - actually he had those stats every single year. In fact, Duncan still has career averages of 20 and 11 - that's over the course of 14 years. Bynum has never averaged 20 points a game and he's only hit double digits in rebounding twice in 7 years. He has a LOT of catching up to do.

So what are you saying, he's better this year? Sure. He's a better center than Duncan is a PF this year. Will he ever be considered a better center than Duncan is considered as a PF in terms of career? Not likely. Duncan and Malone are certainly the top two at their position. Bynum will not be top two center. Not happening.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard