Andrew Bynum > Tim Duncan

Re: Andrew Bynum > Tim Duncan

Postby Doberman on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 am

Steve wrote:OK, but when Kobe was 6 years into his career it wasn't even in a discussion, there was a ton of potential that we saw, but we weren't saying Kobe > MJ yet either. Now since Kobe has accomplished so much it's a real discussion. The fact Duncan never had 30 rebounds in a game means literally nothing to me. Duncan is Duncan man...Drew has 1 all star start in his ENTIRE career, before we start saying Drew is better why don't we give it another 5 years. Just be realistic I don't care what single game accolades Drew has he's not even close to a prime Duncan not yet, now now...hopefully when it's all said and done he'll 5 titles and be leaps and bounds past him but for now on April 29th 2012 he's simply not there yet....sorry man

It WAS a discussion with Kobe back then, and the reason is because many of us foresaw his success as almost "inevitable". We knew it was just a matter of time before the Lakers would have to rebuild around him and when it happened, he would be successful. He was simply too good to fail. And many at the time would always say "Kobe at 24 > MJ at 24". So today I see the same scenario except it's with Bynum and Duncan.
Doberman

Postby KB&AB on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:12 am

please remove this thread.
KB&AB

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 am

i think doberman enjoys having fans of other teams quote his posts and make a mockery of him on their forums
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:58 am

Is Bynum > Duncan?

If by > you mean taller, then yes, he definitely is. :man12:

Duncan was never a flashy player, it's in his temperment. He plays consistently, with great fundamentals. Drew should take a page from Timmy, and try not to have such highs and lows in his game from day to day.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Alcindor on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:11 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:i think doberman enjoys having fans of other teams quote his posts and make a mockery of him on their forums

just enjoys/needs attention period.
Alcindor

Postby Lakers_55 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:22 am

Hey, I just know this. Bynum will be a Laker for years, Duncan won't be a Spur much longer.
Bring it Boston! Don't duck us in the finals again!
Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 39-24!
Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
Lakers_55

Postby LAL4EVA on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:39 pm

OP, have you seen TD in his prime? if yes, tell me how he wasn't dominant? Did you forget the defense he played on a consistant basis? The shots he changed? He might not be as athletic, but that doesn't mean that he's not dominant. What about all the times when the spurs needed a bucket and he consistantly got it for them. All the way to 4 rings!!!!! to be dominant, you have to be consistant...or else it was a fluke in the first place
LAL4EVA

Postby John3:16 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:18 pm

Tuesday's thread: Mike Brown > Phil Jackson
John3:16

Postby nduri on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:38 pm

Bynum NOW is better than Tim Duncan NOW! That being said, I think it's premature to look at Bynum NOW in comparison to a prime Tim Duncan. Bynum is bigger but Duncan was very successful against bigger players. Shaq used to overpower him on occasion but Bynum isn't really that type of presence. Duncan was an underrated passer and could abuse double teams, Bynum is just scratching the surface in this area. They both are similar athletically with a very slight edge to Bynum, but as good as Bynum may be fundamentally at this point in his career, Prime Duncan was still better. We may be 2 healthy Bynum years from legitimately having this conversation.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby lakers_09tv on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:59 pm

LAL4EVA wrote:OP, have you seen TD in his prime? if yes, tell me how he wasn't dominant? Did you forget the defense he played on a consistant basis? The shots he changed? He might not be as athletic, but that doesn't mean that he's not dominant. What about all the times when the spurs needed a bucket and he consistantly got it for them. All the way to 4 rings!!!!! to be dominant, you have to be consistant...or else it was a fluke in the first place

Duncan is one of the 3 best players I've seen in the last 10 years. This is like comparing Westbrook to Kobe.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby tttppp on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
tttppp wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
Most of his career (if not all of it) Duncan has been a PF. I'm not giving out medals to anyone. Duncan has had a stellar career. He's top 10-15 all time without any question whatsoever. I'm not even a fan of the guy but the comparison or the statement that Bynum is better after one single healthy season as a starter is ludicrous.

I don't know what your definition of dominant is and I don't really care about it. The guy has 4 championships and there was plenty of competition in the league including the Lakers with Shaq. He has 4 rings as the best player on his team. Bynum is a terrific young talent who is earning his stripes and might someday be as good as Tim Duncan. He ain't there yet. Better than Duncan after 7 years already in the league? He's going to have to keep on working pretty hard if he's going to come close to matching Timmy D.'s resume.

I never said Bynum has had a better career. I all I said was that if he stayed healthy and got more consistent, he'd be better than Duncan.

Just because Duncan was only the second biggest player on his team some years, does not make him a pf. In those years, the Spurs played with 2 centers. Just like the Lakers do now. Gasol is basically an undersized center like Duncan.

^^ What are we even talking about here? Last I checked under Tim Duncan's player stats he was, is and continues to be listed as a PF. So is Gasol. I don't care what your opinion about his position is. The fact remains that he's a PF.

Can Bynum be a better center than Duncan? Sure. Duncan's not a center. Can Duncan be a better PF than Bynum? You betcha. Not hard to imagine it really.

This is getting tedious. As mentioned, last I checked Duncan is an all time great. Bynum's got a long freaking way to go to catch up to him. By this time in their respective careers Duncan had averaged over 20 points a game and double digit rebounds - actually he had those stats every single year. In fact, Duncan still has career averages of 20 and 11 - that's over the course of 14 years. Bynum has never averaged 20 points a game and he's only hit double digits in rebounding twice in 7 years. He has a LOT of catching up to do.

So what are you saying, he's better this year? Sure. He's a better center than Duncan is a PF this year. Will he ever be considered a better center than Duncan is considered as a PF in terms of career? Not likely. Duncan and Malone are certainly the top two at their position. Bynum will not be top two center. Not happening.

There's a lot more competition for all time great players at the center position than the pf position. So saying Bynum won't be the second greatest center of all time isn't saying much. Duncan wouldn't be too high on the all time center list either.

Put it this way. If Bynum stays healthy, in a year or two Bynum would get the better of Duncan in his prime. He is bigger and just as skilled and athletic as Duncan.
tttppp

Postby Weezy on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:15 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:
LAL4EVA wrote:OP, have you seen TD in his prime? if yes, tell me how he wasn't dominant? Did you forget the defense he played on a consistant basis? The shots he changed? He might not be as athletic, but that doesn't mean that he's not dominant. What about all the times when the spurs needed a bucket and he consistantly got it for them. All the way to 4 rings!!!!! to be dominant, you have to be consistant...or else it was a fluke in the first place

Duncan is one of the 3 best players I've seen in the last 10 years. This is like comparing Westbrook to Kobe.

Didn't you do just that not too long ago though? Maybe around the time when you said Kobe wasn't even a top 20 player anymore? I guess we all make mistakes.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakers_09tv on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Weezy wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:

Didn't you do just that not too long ago though? Maybe around the time when you said Kobe wasn't even a top 20 player anymore? I guess we all make mistakes.

I'm talking about prime Kobe. I wouldn't dare compare Westbrook to Kobe in his prime.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby ojdidit123 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm talking about prime Kobe. I wouldn't dare compare Westbrook to Kobe in his prime.

Ok I get that but its gotta be debateable for you now given how bad you feel Kobe is I mean come on the guy isn't even the best player on his team according to you why does he even still play?
ojdidit123

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 pm

P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby stevenwithaV on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Doberman wrote:First 40 point game:

Bynum - 21 years, 86 days
Duncan - 23 years, 228 days

First 20 rebound game:

Bynum - 23 years, 160 days
Duncan - 21 years, 191 days

First Playoff Triple Double:

Bynum - 24 years, 183 days
Duncan - 25 years, 360 days

By your logic, Brandon Jennings will be a better player than Kobe because he scored 55 points his rookie season when he was 20 years old. Sure, Bynum is progressing nicely and I love his game right now, but NO WAY is he better than Duncan.

Doberman wrote:Duncan has never had a 30 rebound game
Duncan has never had a 10 block game

No, but he did have a 21 point, 20 rebound, 10 assist, 8 block game in the NBA finals (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200306150SAS.html).
Last edited by stevenwithaV on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevenwithaV

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

This is silly. I thought we considered ourselves less "overreactive" and "homerish" than other teams fans.

Just because someone you like has a great season doesnt mean you have to try to say they're better than a legend.

And to the guy that said the Spurs only win Championships when the rest the league sucks... that just sounds like pure hate man.

We're better than that... right?
phoenixrisingla

Postby gcclaker on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

...and the gifs that Doc, B-Matt and Bystander brings ALONE make this thread a worthwhile read on its own. Yes, and they are quite humorous I might add.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby sina on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:29 pm

I even can't say Shaq>TD...
sina

Postby Psychobroker on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:48 pm

I feel embarrassed for the OP

:man10: @ Bynum > TD
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby JGC on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:51 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:This is silly. I thought we considered ourselves less "overreactive" and "homerish" than other teams fans.

Just because someone you like has a great season doesnt mean you have to try to say they're better than a legend.

And to the guy that said the Spurs only win Championships when the rest the league sucks... that just sounds like pure hate man.

Dude, Laker fans are the WORST when it comes to being "overreactive" and "homerish". Most of them only watch Laker games for the worst part, and don't even wear the playoff t-shirts handed to them at the games.

Seeing all those OKC fans rockin those blue shirts was pretty amazing.
JGC

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:52 pm

^^ words can not express how much I love LO's reaction in that gif. :jam2:
phoenixrisingla

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:55 pm

JGC wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:This is silly. I thought we considered ourselves less "overreactive" and "homerish" than other teams fans.

Dude, Laker fans are the WORST when it comes to being "overreactive" and "homerish". Most of them only watch Laker games for the worst part, and don't even wear the playoff t-shirts handed to them at the games.

Seeing all those OKC fans rockin those blue shirts was pretty amazing.

Ugh, sucks if you see a lot of that.

None of my friends/coworkers are like that. matter of fact, I dont personally know anyone like that.

As for the shirts, I may get flamed here for this; but who cares if no one wears them.

Doesnt help our players, doesnt hurt theirs...

Just a gimicky thing arean's do for TV. I dont really define my fanhood based on what I'm wearing, but thats just me.
phoenixrisingla

Postby nthydro on Tue May 01, 2012 7:44 am

Its becoming blatantly obvious Doberman is intentionally baiting us with these outrageous topics. He likes stirring up drama. As I've said before, he's an attention seeking......person. He's using the Skip Bayless approach to getting noticed. I mean he does not appear to be some clueless smuck. I've read a lot of his posts that are actual knowledgeable and makes sense. There's no other explanantion...other than that he might be Andrew Bynum himself lol.

But in regards to his reasoning...stats alone do not prove you're a superior player. Otherwise LeBron would be the greatest of all time. There have been many PFs and Cs with better stats than Duncan. I guess Kevin Love is on his way to becoming best PF of all time too lol. Cmon, anyone with half a brain will realize Duncan in his prime is heads and shoulders above Bynum. The way he impacted both ends of the floor in his prime was only rivaled by Shaq at that time. You might as well say Bynum > Shaq. Wouldnt be surprised if thats a future topic :man10:
nthydro

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard