NY out: Turiaf, 1 mil cash
NY in: Songaila, LA 1st
Why for NY?
Gets them a desperately needed 1st for any Melo deal and another expirer who might be needed in a trade down the road at the deadline, or if they do trade away PFs like Randolph or Gallinari they have a competent backup. If they are wheeling dealing in the summer instead, they have 4 mil more cap room and a 1st to play with. With Mozgov playing reasonably and Amare getting the other C minutes, Turiaf is a nice-to-have not a need-to-have.
PHI out: Songaila
PHI in: Sasha, NY 2nd, 1 mil cash
Why for Phila?
They have an abundance of PF serviceable players (Brand, Speights, Nocioni, Young, Brackens, Battie) with zero need for Songaila. While Sasha would just be a backup backup SG, it gives them depth should they eventually move Iggy for a true C. The 1 mil cash more than covers the salary diff. Philly gave NOH their 2nd in a swap so they pick up what looks to be an improved pick for basically nothing.
LA out: Sasha, 1st, NYs 2nd
LA in: Turiaf
Why for LA?
1. Bynum insurance
2. Pau having to log 40+ minutes
3. Already knows the Triangle and plays both big slots
4. Save 3 mil cash of salary plus tax for Buss
5. Odom played all summer, will eventually need a break
6. Emergence of Killer Bs makes Sasha obsolete
7. No need for the picks – if options are picked up (plus Turiaf), LA has 13 under contract next year
8. Ratliff and DC - neither is enough for the challenge ahead
9. Bynum probably won’t be logging 30+ minutes for weeks, maybe months, and Turiaf makes a great 4th big for the playoffs
10. Helps potentially move Melo to the East, weakening the competition
11. Bynum insurance, never enough.