D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion (And so it begins...)

Postby last stand on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:39 am

Doc Brown wrote:It's kind of hard when you have Shrugs and porous perimeter D to play great defense. It's not D12, just like it wasn't Bynum last year.

D12/Drew contest, everyone stands and watches, offensive rebound, score. Perimeter D is non-existent, D12/Drew contests, dish for an easy bucket.

Pure laziness across the board.

That's definitely part of it, but he wasn't working with much better in Orlando. He still is slow

Assistant coach Steve clifford told stu and bill that Dwight looks 2 steps slow right now. That does effect us defensively. 2 steps is a lot considering the saying is a step slow :man10:
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 am

revgen wrote:^That's been going on before Dwight even came here.

And will continue to...point is that sometimes when Dwight "gives up" a rebound it necessarily isn't is fault, but the guy who is playing beside him not giving a lot of effort for the boards.
JLaker17

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 am

- Blazers shot 33/84 from Inside the 3 point arc. Thats less than 40%. Other than that insane 3 point shooting and 28 points off 24 Laker turnovers which led to lots of easy dunks and layups. We did alright in half court sequences

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:51 am

Great game from Dwight. He abused those centers. I'm so happy we acquired him. Now, when he gets 100%, our defense will get better. Although, everybody needs to get better defensively. He's doing the best he can out there playing less than his usual self; so, I commend him for that...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby kray28 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:54 am

kenzo wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:I agree with you..
This won't really continue...
True test are the Clips

What's up with this three liners man? :man12:

Haiku

Don't use ellipses though.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 am

2 games in and Dwight isn't the same defender that he used to be? :man10: :man10:

C'mon guys! This is laughable! He's two regular season games removed from MAJOR SURGERY! And only FOUR games removed TOTAL! His timing is off, that much is clear, but to think he's not going to recover is ludicrous!

And yes some of the defensive problems are the same as last season because when he helps, no one helps him, but when he starts to look more like the Howard he's used to being we're still going to see improvements.

Patience... Jesus Christ...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:26 am

therealdeal wrote:2 games in and Dwight isn't the same defender that he used to be? :man10: :man10:

C'mon guys! This is laughable! He's two regular season games removed from MAJOR SURGERY! And only FOUR games removed TOTAL! His timing is off, that much is clear, but to think he's not going to recover is ludicrous!

And yes some of the defensive problems are the same as last season because when he helps, no one helps him, but when he starts to look more like the Howard he's used to being we're still going to see improvements.

Patience... Jesus Christ...

I don't think anyone said he wouldn't recover

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:33 am

First post on this page.

I'm not attacking you Finwe, I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated with the level of doom in here. So many people are seeing all of the wrong things. Are there negatives with this team? Oh absolutely. But things looked much better out there last night than the first night. In a month, I don't think the Lakers lose that game. The Blazers got away with all kinds of flopping and all kinds of horrible officiating in that 2nd half, especially the 3rd quarter. Couple that with our turnovers and our defense being a step slow...

We can correct 2 of those 3 things. Why aren't people seeing the good things in that game? There was plenty to be happy about last night.

As for Howard, he's a step slow still and he's not quite trusting his explosiveness. He's not quite trusting that back. I'm guessing he's still sore and it's still causing him some discomfort. He'll get there though. We just need to be patient.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 am

kray28 wrote:
kenzo wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:I agree with you..
This won't really continue...
True test are the Clips

What's up with this three liners man? :man12:

Haiku

Don't use ellipses though.

Noted master kray
My haiku a bit rusty
Limits what I say
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby revgen on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:11 am

last stand wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:It's kind of hard when you have Shrugs and porous perimeter D to play great defense. It's not D12, just like it wasn't Bynum last year.

D12/Drew contest, everyone stands and watches, offensive rebound, score. Perimeter D is non-existent, D12/Drew contests, dish for an easy bucket.

That's definitely part of it, but he wasn't working with much better in Orlando. He still is slow

Assistant coach Steve clifford told stu and bill that Dwight looks 2 steps slow right now. That does effect us defensively. 2 steps is a lot considering the saying is a step slow :man10:

The guys he had in Orlando at least knew what they were supposed to do and didn't look "confused" about where they were supposed to be. If they were confused, SVG would unconfuse them as soon as they came over to the sideline. Mike Brown just smiles and says hello. Afterall, he's a nice guy.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Tragic on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:26 am

^yup
Tragic

Postby Weezy on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:54 am

Dwight can't do everything on D, he can't help at the rim EVERY single time. He's already out there trying to do that as much as he can, he's contesting shots, but it's kind of hard to block them when guys are throwing up super high layups and floaters that seemingly can't miss as they blow by their man leaving Dwight doing the best he can, but still screwed. You can see him visibly frustrated with the easy baskets given up on offensive rebounds because of lazy teammates (though Dwigh is guilty of this too), or having to try to help to much to only pick up a foul, allow an and one, or an easy layup.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 am

i actually thought Dwight looked great...for a guy who hasn't played in that many months and on a back to back, he looks like he's on his way back to being the old D12
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby gcclaker on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 am

I caught the second half last night and was pleasantly surprised that he amassed 31 points at the time. Not too shabby for his SECOND game back. His timing on both ends will be there eventually and in sync with his teammates.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:50 pm

last stand wrote:

Everything about him is off on defense right now. Explosiveness, speed, timing, position, etc.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby bystander on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:19 pm

JLaker17 wrote:Another thing is when Dwight contests a shot, there is no one fighting to get the rebound (Pau).

He's averaging 10+ rebounds per game the last 3 years. Didn't know ball got to his hands on its own and got 22 in 2 games so far this season.

2008-09 NBA 9.6 (8th in the league)
2010-11 NBA 10.2 (6th in the league)
2011-12 NBA 10.4 (7th in the league)

Being much older than most of the top 10 players in rebounding each year but 2008 where Duncan was on it.

How much is enough ?
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Finwë on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:First post on this page.

I'm not attacking you Finwe, I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated with the level of doom in here. So many people are seeing all of the wrong things. Are there negatives with this team? Oh absolutely. But things looked much better out there last night than the first night. In a month, I don't think the Lakers lose that game. The Blazers got away with all kinds of flopping and all kinds of horrible officiating in that 2nd half, especially the 3rd quarter. Couple that with our turnovers and our defense being a step slow...

We can correct 2 of those 3 things. Why aren't people seeing the good things in that game? There was plenty to be happy about last night.

As for Howard, he's a step slow still and he's not quite trusting his explosiveness. He's not quite trusting that back. I'm guessing he's still sore and it's still causing him some discomfort. He'll get there though. We just need to be patient.

All I meant is that NOW he's 1-2 steps slow on D, which is perfectly understandable, and then I asked if it was conceivable that he wouldn't be peak form this season. I don't think that's such a crazy question. Last stand explained that he might not be truly 100% in the entire season because he needs the off-season to train and lift. I actually don't entirely agree with that, I feel come January he'll be back to his old self, I was just wondering if maybe I was being too optimistic there.

BTW, maybe the majority of my posts since last night have been negative and doom-ish, but that doesn't mean AT ALL that that's how I entirely feel. In fact, I am pretty sure I'm more optimistic about this team than many posters here, I'm just taking a time off from trying to show people how things aren't really F'd up and just pointing out what I feel needs work fast.
Having said that, I actually did post some optimistic points in different threads, especially in the "optimistism thread", I believe I was the one who actually bumped it after last night's game. All I've been doing is focusing a little more on the things that really need work because, after all, we are 0-2 heading into tomorrow night's really tough game..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm sorry, I'm not attacking you at all. I'd agree that you're one of the more forward thinking posters here. I'm just frustrated with the way this board has been lately. Everything is negative and not many people are taking a deep breath and thinking clearly.

Should things be further along? Yes. No one is questioning that, but there's a lot of good things to take from the last game and instead all that I'm reading is gross oversimplifications and way out there remarks. Again, not from you, just in general on the site. I mean, a number of people are willing to brush off things said by the players let alone the coaching staff. If that's true, my opinion here feels utterly insignificant. I'm working to try to bring some optimism here and it's been a tough battle.

As for Howard and his future... I suppose it is conceivable that he doesn't regain all of his athleticism. I mean, I couldn't argue against that and I certainly couldn't say for certain whether or not he'll ever be the same. But from everything I've read and heard all it will take is time for him to regain not only the physical ability, but the mental ability to be that explosive guy that we're all used to.

There's been flashes of it. There have been a couple of blocks after whistles where he unloads a little and you can see that explosion. But for the most part it's a process of getting there and it'll take some time.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

the fact that he's been so effective despite being about 2 steps slow is incredible. but it is effecting his defense and offense. it's part trust and part just not having it right now. i doubt he gets it ALL back this season. there just isn't enough time to train and recover. but i see him getting to 90-95% dwight where as right now i'd put him at 70% dwight.

once he can dunk and fly consistently again the timing will be easier. the timing is thrown off by a lack of familiarity but also a lack of capability

he's only been running for 2 months if memory serves, so with that he's where he should be. strong upper body weak and unexplosive lower body. i think by december or january he'll be close to himself and next season he'll be back to being completely himself with a full offseason to lift and train

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Finwë wrote:

All I meant is that NOW he's 1-2 steps slow on D, which is perfectly understandable, and then I asked if it was conceivable that he wouldn't be peak form this season. I don't think that's such a crazy question. Last stand explained that he might not be truly 100% in the entire season because he needs the off-season to train and lift. I actually don't entirely agree with that, I feel come January he'll be back to his old self, I was just wondering if maybe I was being too optimistic there.

i doubt it, but it's possible. he's not built like everyone else. i personally think he gets close to 100% but isn't really all the way back until he gets a full offseason.

bynum was about 95% of himself in 2010/2011, but with the full offseason he came out ready to go. i just believe the lifting, explosion training done in the offseason that dwight missed this season can't be ignored. he'll regain the natural stuff. the stuff he's just born with, but the extra that comes from intense offseason training, i don't think returns until he actually can do that stuff again

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:31 am

The only bright spot in this train wreck of a season so far.

After a complete season under Mike Clown, my fear is that D12 will say "thanks but no thanks" to an extension.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby themasterphil on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:35 am

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:The only bright spot in this train wreck of a season so far.

After a complete season under Mike Clown, my fear is that D12 will say "thanks but no thanks" to an extension.

no chance for that to happen.....Mitch and Jim will choose Dwight over Brown at any moment.....if Dwight say I have problem with Clown, they will fire Clown and case will be closed.
themasterphil

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:08 am

Dwight looks dominant
Almost Shaquille-like for sure
Can't wait to see more
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am

last stand wrote:the fact that he's been so effective despite being about 2 steps slow is incredible. but it is effecting his defense and offense. it's part trust and part just not having it right now. i doubt he gets it ALL back this season. there just isn't enough time to train and recover. but i see him getting to 90-95% dwight where as right now i'd put him at 70% dwight.

once he can dunk and fly consistently again the timing will be easier. the timing is thrown off by a lack of familiarity but also a lack of capability

he's only been running for 2 months if memory serves, so with that he's where he should be. strong upper body weak and unexplosive lower body. i think by december or january he'll be close to himself and next season he'll be back to being completely himself with a full offseason to lift and train

I really don't think he'll need the off-season. He's a physical monster and I think he'll get that explosion back offensively by January.

I think by December his timing will be back and he'll be coming in off help defense much more and much more smoothly. Timing is really his biggest issue defensively.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby themasterphil on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 pm

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/110212shootaround
watch dwight on 2.40.......its just hilarious....after this one I am not worried about lakers any more....they will be fine.....
themasterphil

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard