D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: feeling better, won't play 2night

Postby Finwë on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
I asked Dwight if he'll play in Boston: "I'm not talking about that right now, boss"
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Can he ever give an answer that isn't flat out annoying?

Apparently not. I hate almost every interview he does
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Whether Dwight plays or not is up to him. He can really help this team ans send the right message. Just don't bring the ball down and keept it tight to his chest. He better play. You know Kobe would.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm

And if Dwight doesn't suck it up and play against Boston and Char but then does play in the All-Star game I will be done with supporting him.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has told Dwight Howard he will not be traded before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, according to league sources.

Kupchak recently told Newsday the same thing, saying: "We will not trade Dwight Howard." Sources say Kupchak has told Howard several times that he has no intention of trading him.

There have been rumblings for the past month that the Lakers are considering moving Howard out of fear that he might leave as a free agent after the season. Despite their concerns, the Lakers have not directly asked Howard whether he plans to stay or go in free agency, according to sources.

Sources have told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne that the Lakers are "very confident" Howard will remain with the team this summer.

Howard has steadfastly refused to reveal his plans for this summer, and sources say he truly does not know what he will do. The sources add that he definitely will not ask to be traded.

Howard becomes a free agent July 1 but wants to live in the present, sticking to his goal of winning the first championship of his nine-year career this season, no matter how unlikely it might seem with the Los Angeles Lakers getting off to a 23-26 start more than three months into the season.

"Right now, my only focus is to get us into the playoffs and win the championship," Howard said in an interview Monday with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. "Nothing else matters at this point."

Atlanta, Dallas and Houston will be Howard's chief suitors when he enters free agency July 1. But the Lakers can offer Howard a five-year contract worth roughly $118 million while every other team in the league can offer him only about $88 million over four years. The extra $30 million means a lot to Howard, sources said, and is definitely a major advantage for the Lakers. With the injuries he's recently suffered to his back and shoulder, Howard might be less inclined to give up the extra year of security.

"I understand, you know, what the Lakers want," Howard told Smith on Monday of his contract status. "And I also understand that right now, there's no need for all the circus and all the stuff that happened last year [with Orlando] to start back up. I don't want it, my team doesn't need it, I don't need it, and frankly, our fans don't need it neither."

Of the Lakers' three free-agent competitors, Houston appears to be the most favorable for Howard. Dallas is aging, and Howard is not keen on playing in his hometown of Atlanta. Houston, on the other hand, has star guard James Harden and is only a frontcourt star away from becoming a legitimate factor in the Western Conference.

While Howard had no interest in going to Houston last season, sources say he is aware the Rockets have become a more attractive destination since acquiring Harden.

The story is written by Chris Broussard. Interesting article.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:29 pm

If he leaves, he leaves, I completely understand the Lakers not wanting to trade him and hoping he re-signs. If you trade him you don't get equal value, so they have to at least take a gamble at trying to sign him long term.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Even Shaq didn't get 30 million... I imagine Mitch has something up his sleeve, though. In Mitch I trust.
Armani

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 pm

No chance he leaves this summer I don't think..something tells me Mitch already spoke to him and this is why Dwight wont get traded
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby LakerLegacy24 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 am

Please Dwight, suck it up and play Thursday against Boston I wanna kick their teeth in.
"Kobe Bryant, we are not worthy of your greatness." -Rick Kamla
LakerLegacy24

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:08 am

Boston plays tonight at Toronto

Celtics "bigs" : KG, Bass , Wilcox , Green

We can win without him ...

I'm still amazed by the fact nobody asked him this type of question :

" you got hit twice on that elbow in a span of one week , why do you want to "get healthy" whereas it's very likely you're going to get hit again when you come back ....

The only way to get healthy is to get surgery ... it's about pain management right here ... he should play
wcsoldier81

Postby KB24 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:34 am

He should play but he doesn't have the same type of desire as Bryant to mentally muscle through injuries.

He is certainly NOT a crybaby...but he lacks that competitive mental edge that makes great players legendary, fact.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby revgen on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:43 am

^I dunno. LO played through a similar injury. And LO is definitely not Kobe when it comes to "competitive mental edge". IMO, this is D12's first season learning to play through real injuries. It's new territory for him, and he hasn't quite figured it out yet.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:57 am

revgen wrote:^I dunno. LO played through a similar injury. And LO is definitely not Kobe when it comes to "competitive mental edge". IMO, this is D12's first season learning to play through real injuries. It's new territory for him, and he hasn't quite figured it out yet.

true ... the " future" of this legendary franchise should figure it out quick though , especially with the current situation this team is in ...
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:11 am

Kobe was hinting that Dwight should be playing throught it:
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130206/daily-dime
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:41 am

Again, if he sits out more games, he better no play in the All-Star game. I don't care that it is 3 weeks away.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby trodgers on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 am

Finwë wrote:Kobe was hinting that Dwight should be playing throught it:
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130206/daily-dime

Good read.

Right now, Bryant is dealing with a sore right elbow. He got electric stim treatment on it before the game. When he threw down the dunk, he said pain shot up his arm.

"After a play like that you can't grab your arm, it messes up the swag of the moment," Bryant said. "You've got to suck it up."

"I think everyone has been drinking the Kobe pass Kool-Aid so they kind of stayed on the perimeter like the Red Sea," Bryant said. "I felt a little like Moses."

:man10:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 am

Why Howard will re-sign with Lakers
February, 6, 2013
FEB 6
8:42
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND2COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
Earlier this week Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told a New York newspaper that he wasn't trading Dwight Howard and a source tells ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard the same story.

Kupchak is gambling that Howard will re-sign with the team in July and reportedly he and the Lakers are "very confident" it will come to fruition.

According to Broussard, a source said the extra year the Lakers can offer Howard is important to the center. The Lakers can give him a five-year deal worth roughly $118 million, while another team can only offer a four-year, $88 million contract. Those $30 million are important as Howard has dealt with injuries the last two seasons.

118 million or 88 million. I'm greedy as hell so I know what I'd do, hopefully D12 does the same.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 am

I don't have any hard feelings towards Dwight for wanting to be cautious. I don't know that he's ever dealt with nagging injuries like this before and the last time he might have felt discomfort like this was with his back when he ended up needing serious sugery. Mentally it can be hard to deal with these types of things.

But I think he needs to play now. With Gasol out he's got to play now. He told Stephen A. that he was dedicated to the team right now and if that's true, he needs to play when we are so short handed.

As for him leaving, I don't see it happening. We're going to make noise this summer, enough for him to stay. Harden, Lin, Parsons isn't any more of a contender than Kobe, Nash, whomever comes back when we trade Gasol. Factor in the money, factor in the "rebuild" designed for him, factor in the extra 30 million and more with endorsements... Easy decision.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 am

"Messes up the swag of the moment." Great quote :man10:
XXIV

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 am

I don't know why everybody should be held in Kobe's standard...guy is inhuman, and can play through anything. Dwight will play if he can, this is a starcrossed season anyway, so I don't care either way...we have the next season to look forward to with these guys though.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 am

I am all for Dwight being careful with the injury, but if there's any way he could give it a go against BOS and CHA, that would be great. We just started clicking, everyone is playing hard and we need to make that final push. I would feel good about this team, finally healthy, next season -- with maybe someone new replacing Pau. I like this Lakers team right now. A lot. But it might be too little too late if Dwight can't play.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am

He's got to play through this.. He could sit out a month, it doesn't matter, it's going to hurt just as much the next time someone hits him on the way up. The injury can only become a full tear, which they say is actually better because it doesn't hurt as much.. With Pau likely out for a while, our playoff hopes depend on Dwight's ability to play through pain.
lakersin4

Postby The Rock on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 am

Our guys have been playing better in this road trip without him....Im not saying we're better off without Dwight long term but in this stretch we're doing just fine without him, rest up until the Miami game. Just ride out Clark/Jamison/Blake

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:47 am

We've done fine without him but so did the Clippers without Paul...for a while. Now they've been exposed

We won't survive without Dwight and Pau out.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby The Rock on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 am

I think we can beat Charlotte and Boston on back to backs without Dwight and Pau. We're not gonna get beat up inside they have no bigs and KG will be playing us on a 2nd of a back to back so he wont be playing big either

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby scissors on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 pm

The Rock wrote:Our guys have been playing better in this road trip without him....Im not saying we're better off without Dwight long term but in this stretch we're doing just fine without him, rest up until the Miami game. Just ride out Clark/Jamison/Blake

I'd rather rest Howard for Miami game also. But if we lose to Boston tomorrow night, then we should consider playing Howard for the Bobcats game. Better chance we don't lose 3 in a row with Howard back in the lineup.
scissors

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard