D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: feeling better, won't play 2night

Postby Center Court on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Again, if he doesn't play these next few games - when Kobe and the FO are publicly asking him to, but then does play in the all-star game, he deserves a ton of backlash and I don't care if he uses that as a reason to leave this summer. He probably won't turn into the "beast" that Kobe wants until he is playing in Houston and can hide behind Harden.

I think the Lakers need to stop gambling - like Cleveland did with Lebron (despite differing bird righs). If he won't commit we should shop him before the deadline. Plain and simple. Hey maybe we can get Westbrook and Ibaka. Lol!!

I agree and if we are going to move him, I think ATL and BK should be our targets. They will risk trading for him because signing him on the open market would be tough given Houston and Dallas's lure. Especially Houston's. IFrom ATL's POV f they could pair him with his boy J Smoove, maybe they could convince them to stay together and build. BK has to trade for him.

Horford, Duhon to Sac
Cousins, Korver, Thorton to LA
Dwight, Meeks to ATL

Dwight to Brooklyn
Lopez to Minny
Love l to LA
Center Court

Postby KB24 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 am

S&T at the end of the season could also be an option unless the new CBA disallows it which I'm not familiar with.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 am

Center Court wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
Center Court wrote:^^^ Kobe is doing a great job as a leader. he really understands different people have different personalities and though it may not be your style, you have to cater to their needs/style to get the best out of them. that is exactly what Dwight likes/wants/needs to hear. (close sarcasm)

seriously though, Kobe is an [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. If I were Dwight I would want no part of this organization if this is the guy you are supposed to share with. Dwight has got to feel extremely slighted by that comment. I mean, Dwight is not some young player who ust stepped into the NBA. He's had a great career so far. No way he wants to hear that "he has no urgency and winning championship mentality it foreign to him".

I'm worried as a Laker fan because I'd say it's more likely for Dwight to leave then stay. Houston seems like a pretty attractive situation. Sign Dwight, trade Asik for a good PF and they've got something very attractive to Dwight

I wouldn't lose any sleep over Dwight leaving ... I haven't changed my mind over his mentality since he arrived in LA ... he hasn't what it takes to be a leader of a championship team ...

Sure we'll get worse if he leaves but we are definetely not winning ish with this guy as the "future" of this franchise ... unless he's going to change and stop caring so much about people/medias and be a cry baby about everything

so you'd not rather have the best center in the NBA paired with another elite player? is it better to say f the center, he's not a winner because of reasons x y z. If you lost a superstar big, there is no way to make up for it. no matter how you slice it, he's the best post anchor in the NBA. we've seen it this year with him at 75%. pair that with another stud, and you're set. If you lose Dwight for nothing, now you're still over the cap and have Pau/Kobe/Nash//Hill/Blake/Meeks as your returning roster Then you gotta play with yet another year on those guys and hope that either Pau's exiring can net something special or you let everyone walk, hope Nash retires and start all over.. no cornerstone, no core, nothing. I am not sure how any rational fan can accept that. if a trade has to be made, then so be but losing Dwight is a catastrophe. Whether Kobe is tired of coddling him or not does not change the fact that our franchise takes a HUGE hit when he walks.

Wasn't this what the "meeting" was for? Didn't KB call Dwight out for the whole stat sheet incident? I'm not sure how this is any different. Kobe is calling him out in front of the media in a big way. Essentially calling him weak, not committed to winning, not ready to play championship basketball. It's a low blow and it pains me to say this, but sometimes Kobe is the biggest detriment to the team. He's my favorite athlete of all time and I'll hate to see him go, but hopefully it ushers in a new era of Laker basketball.

IMO with all that has been said, the attempts to repair, and still more shots at each other, this thing is not going to work beyond this season unless Dwight comes back to avg more FGA's, make a run of some fashion, and most importantly feel like a legit co-star

He knew this was Kobe's team, he knew he'd be #2. He just never though that he's be such a distant second... if that changed, I think he would too.

As you said , you have to pair him with a 1st option ... after Kobe is gone ... having D12 here will help to attract players but acquire a legit 1st option is VERY difficult ... even for the Lakers ...
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 am

KB24 wrote:S&T at the end of the season could also be an option unless the new CBA disallows it which I'm not familiar with.

I think this option is out of the window for a team over the cap
wcsoldier81

Postby Alcindor on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 am

KB24 wrote:S&T at the end of the season could also be an option unless the new CBA disallows it which I'm not familiar with.

It disallows it. No team can do an S&T if they are 4 mil over the tax after the trade.
Alcindor

Postby KB24 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:09 am

well thats kind of a big deal because usually thats the way how the team gets compensated and the player gets the money he wants...I see, the NBA has done everything to piss the Lakers off.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 am

brook lopez? At this point, i'd really consider it. Brook has that "pau of old" game. Not as good a passer, but a better scorer and shot blocker (2.2 per game). We've seen what kobe can do with a skilled big man of that caliber when he went to the finals 3 straight times. Add to the fact you have an amazing passing pg in steve nash, along with passing kobe, and you have an even deadlier brook lopez. Who can hit 15+ft jumpers, has a superb post game, who also is a great ft shooter. Package him in with other players, and we can add depth as well. I just like his game, attitude, and health over dwights.
King of Clutch

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 am

It's hilarious that some of you here think that the Lakers will trade Dwight :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:It's hilarious that some of you here think that the Lakers will trade Dwight :man10:

lol i'm just talking nonsense. I do like lopez, but a healthy dwight can't be touched. I'm just getting a little impatient.
King of Clutch

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 am

I understand dude but I shudder at the thought of mediocrity when we have average players like Lopez playing for this team in the near future. Dwight is a World beater, a perennial rebounding leader and defensive monster. This is an off year considering the injuries but he still leads the league in rebounds. Imagine next year if we get everybody healthy. Patience.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Center Court on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:It's hilarious that some of you here think that the Lakers will trade Dwight :man10:

Ahh, what a great thing reading comprehension is. Analyze what you read. Nobody said we think the Lakers will trade Dwight. A few of us are stating that we see the odds of Dwight returning as very slim. If that is the case, a trade should be explored.
Center Court

Postby Alcindor on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 am

Center Court wrote:

Ahh, what a great thing reading comprehension is. Analyze what you read. Nobody said we think the Lakers will trade Dwight. A few of us are stating that we see the odds of Dwight returning as very slim. If that is the case, a trade should be explored.

No, you are basically saying "a few of us" are saying trade Dwight.
Alcindor

Postby CALakeshow on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:04 am

Alcindor wrote:

It disallows it. No team can do an S&T if they are 4 mil over the tax after the trade.

The $4 million rule only applies to the team receiving the player.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89 (See Question 89)
CALakeshow

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:19 am

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Dwight Howard was irritated by questions about his status today. He said he'll be a gametime decision. Emphasized that his career's at stake
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

He would make a great WR in the NFL....

gary washburn ‏@GwashNBAGlobe
Dwight Howard says he won't take long-term risk just to return to save #lakers "This is my career. Nobody else is going to take care of me."
Retweeted by Ken Berger
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 am

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 am

So he isn't playing tonight judging by those comments.
JLaker17

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:27 am

Well he might, that's why he's a game time decision. Seems to me like he's just scared because last time he played through an injury he needed back surgery which is STILL bothering.

I'm fine with it because I understand that it's scary. It's not something we as fans can rationally approach.

WE need him to play... But we're not the ones who are risking their careers if he does.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:33 am

I've recently decided I don't care much for Dwight. I like his game. He's only going to get better as he gets healthier, and I really want him to resign here, butttttt...

...his pissing & moaning about things is really a drag. Makes me somehow even appreciate how spoiled we've been cheering for a warrior like Kobe all these years even more. The dude would go to the ends of the Earth to win. It's really a quality that shouldn't be taken for granted by anyone. Not many people want it that badly.

Dwight on the other hand, seems far too preoccupied with how he's perceived by those around him. Part of that is immaturity, and part is likely ingrained into his personality. Either way, it seems to matter more to him than winning or being truly great.

Dwight also talks out of both sides of his mouth a lot: "My back is 75% healthy. I'm still recovering." Ok, totally understandable. Then the next week it's "I'm not getting enough touches/shots." Well, which is it Dwight? Are you still limited physically or do you need to try carrying this offense despite not being best equipped to do so (even when fully healthy)? Can't have it both ways.

I beg him to dig just a little deeper for the sake of keeping this season afloat and find the will to play through his injuries and do what he can to help this team hit it's peak as we head toward the postseason. That would go a long way toward changing how I feel about his lack of competitive spirit currently.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 am

^That's a great point about his past injury. Orlando diagnosed it as back spasms and Dwight had to come out here to Los Angeles to get a second opinion; he then found out he had a herniated disc and needed surgery. If dealt with correctly sooner, the problem with his back could have been solved at a quicker rate.

I understand his position. If for instance, we lock him up for the next 5 years, he would be 32 at the end of his contract. At that time, who know where he will be in terms of health, physical ability, etc. This may be his only max contract that he gets this summer. He's being cautions.

As it stands, we're playing Boston who isn't loaded with great interior play; we can pull this game out without Dwight.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:39 am

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Dwight on Kobe pressing him to play: "That's his opinion, that's it. He's not a doctor, I'm not a doctor. That's his opinion."

And instead of seeing that Kobe is trying to push him to become the best, he gets all defensive and starts getting snappy.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:41 am

- Doesn't listen to Nash's Free Throw shooting advice
- Hasn't learned about not brining the ball down after repeatedly getting stripped for 2 months
- Wont take Kobe's advice

This stubbornness is pissing me the eff off. You dont know any better Dwight. You're not 100% you better damn open your eyes

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 am

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/299572486356471809

Dwight on perceived pressure from Kobe to play: "He's not a doctor. I'm not a doctor," #Lakers

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:43 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Dwight on Kobe pressing him to play: "That's his opinion, that's it. He's not a doctor, I'm not a doctor. That's his opinion."

And instead of seeing that Kobe is trying to push him to become the best, he gets all defensive and starts getting snappy.

Well don't we have a doctor flying with them around city to city? :man10:

Why not ask Vitti if he can play with the injury? I know he's scared, but c'mon man. You've got to man up about this.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 am

at the same time not evey one can be held to the same standard as Kobe, we've seen players miss multiple games win a jammed finger while Kobe finger pretty much all jacked up now cause he played through it. Well call him weakminded, immature whatever just dont get mad if he doesn't resign with all this stuff going on now.
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 am

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten

Well don't we have a doctor flying with them around city to city? :man10:

Why not ask Vitti if he can play with the injury? I know he's scared, but c'mon man. You've got to man up about this.

I hate to call guys out when you dont know what kind of pain they are really in, but that defensive response really makes it sound like its HIS decision to play or not and he's just 'scurred.

Have we just been spoiled by Kobe's ability to play through pain and our expectations are too high, or does Howard maybe have a little punk in him? :nono2:
phoenixrisingla

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard