D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: All in for L.A. (907)

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:30 pm

khmrP wrote:he really should focus on setting really hard bone shattering screen on Tues, only way to score effectively and possibly slow down Westbrick a bit.

That seems like misnomer. You can't really run up and hockey check someone it's a foul. But when you're big and solid and run up and stop so close right in their path and are like a tree they run into. :man1: Actually I don't understand all of the short stops from being in that close-to-the-defender position and sloppy, weak screens. It's not rocket science with the angles.
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:34 pm

gcclaker wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:^ You want a team that shoots 4% from the free throw line?

I'd take David West over Smith. Not a high fly act but plays smarter within a set offense, can hit perimeter shots and reliable at the charity stripe plus a decent defender too.

I have always loved West game ever since he use to torch us in NO.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:45 pm

One thing I can say for Josh is that he certainly can be in better shape, but there isn't anybody with enough clout on the team to push him. With Dwight and Metta being a fitness freaks and Kobe being Kobe, he'd certainly have enough people pushing him to to tone up. That alone can cause a significant increase in the quality of player seen on the court.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Coach Chris on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:12 pm

gcclaker wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:^ You want a team that shoots 4% from the free throw line?

I'd take David West over Smith. Not a high fly act but plays smarter within a set offense, can hit perimeter shots and reliable at the charity stripe plus a decent defender too.

Rumors were that he was coming here for the TPE after the Chris Paul trade. Imagine Paul, Kobe, Artest, West and eventually Howard.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby kakafung on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

how about the chemistry
Josh is really good friend with dwight since the high school
it's advantange for the lakers that we're not in enough the chemsitry to put up another level right now.
kakafung

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Josh Smith is now out of the question, unless for some unbeknown reason, he signs for the mini-MLE.

We have to set our sights on more effective players anyway.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Dwight's perfect running mate isn't his best friend anyway. His best friend would empathize with him and they'd get too comfortable, joking would become the norm for Howard again.

He NEEDS this situation to force him to grow up. He's been in the league too long to continue taking the approach he was. LeBron sobered up and when he did he won a ring. Howard can do the same when he heals up over the summer.

His perfect running mate from the 4 is an Earl Clark type of guy. We could ask for a BETTER Earl Clark type (I still say Love is a glove fit), but the idea is to have a guy who's willing to do the dirty work and can shoot a little fro the outside. A guy who is capable of attacking the glass and can still space the floor a little bit. Smith would provide good rebounding effort and good off the ball type of action, but he simply doesn't have the spacing ability we'd need for a player next to Howard. Smith is a bigger, more athletic version of Metta and that's what we're trying to move away from.

I think the ideal situation for next season is to re-sign Clark and then to send Gasol out for a SF. Not because Gasol isn't valuable to us, but because he's valuable enough to get us a great return.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 pm

^Kevin Love is totally the guy to put next to Dwight. Curious to see if he heads this way in a few years.
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Center Court on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Kevin Love is totally the guy to put next to Dwight. Curious to see if he heads this way in a few years.

Dwight
Love
Irving

that's my dream.

We'll (should) have money for Love . Irving- I think today's NBA superstar is more prudent and is more willing to sacrifice some money to be in the ideal situation knowing endorsement will make up for it. Hopefully Iriving can find his way here.

Dwight and Love is beast though.
Center Court

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:19 am

wcsoldier81

Postby jbiggs on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 am

lol wow meeks nash and kobe are the only ones close to matching their practice performance with their games :bang:
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby KB24 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:08 am

Practice is much easier though...you shoot without being under pressure, without fans distracting you, without being tired and you can get in rhythem...you might miss a few but then you find a rhythem and hit 20 in a row.

In games...they are terrible. We are easily a terrible FT shooting team and the stats prove it. 29th is unheared of in a 30 team league. Thats utterly pathetic. How can NBA players not be able to shoot FREE throws? I mean I play basketball once every 2 years and I can hit 60% easily. With a few weeks of consistent work outs I would be shooting 70%. How the hell do players shoot 50-60%? thats embarassing.

The Lakers have played around 60 games...Dwight has missed 217 FTs...that is costing us 3 ppg assuming anyone would miss a couple. Thats huge.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Chopper on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:35 am

Dwights practice FTs should have a total of double that!

With such a glaring weakness for our team, why isn't he getting extra FT practice over and above what the team seems to be getting?
Chopper

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 am

Tobias Funke wrote:One thing I can say for Josh is that he certainly can be in better shape, but there isn't anybody with enough clout on the team to push him. With Dwight and Metta being a fitness freaks and Kobe being Kobe, he'd certainly have enough people pushing him to to tone up. That alone can cause a significant increase in the quality of player seen on the court.

he can look like the incredible hulk still not gona improve his on court IQ.
khmrP

Postby JSM on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 am

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 am

The link is to the video of him saying this, along with an interview about how he's perceived and all that jargon...

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Dwight Howard on his old Orlando Magic teammates: "My team in Orlando was a team full of people that nobody wanted." http://tinyurl.com/d82mgll
View summary Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:37 am

JSM wrote:Dwight on his conditioning:
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/ ... -playoffs/

Dwight Howard says it’s possible he’ll be in full conditioning by the playoffs
Posted on March 5, 2013 by Mark Medina

Any glimpses of Dwight Howard becoming Superman likely won’t happen this month.

As he continues to improve his conditioning stemmed from 10-month-old back surgery, Howard believes he won’t reach his peak until the Lakers accomplish a very important benchmark.

“You get to the playoffs and you get to the Finals, hopefully,” Howard said. “If not, I have the whole summer to get my body right. But right now, I’ll do as much as I can to get in shape and fight through it.”

The Lakers (30-30) enter tonight’s game against the Oklahoma City Thunder (43-16) at Chesapeake Energy Arena two games behind the Utah Jazz (32-28) for the final playoff spot. Of course, the Lakers’ postseason aspirations could largely hinge on how Howard’s play.

Since the ALl-Star break, Howard has averaged 14.83 points on 58.3 percent shooting, 13.83 rebounds and 2.16 blocks per game. His points production is slightly below his season average (16.1), while his rebounds mark a slight improvement from his season average (12 rebounds). But Howard’s appeared noticeably healthier, allowing him to run at a faster pace and provide more activity on defense.

I had been trying to pace myself so I wouldn’t get too tired,” Howard said. “Now I’m trying to run up and down the court as hard as I can. When I need a break, I tell the coach I need a couple of minutes and then go back out there and do the same thing. I can’t give you a time on how long I can play. But I try to work myself to exhaustion and hope for the best.

So is Howard providing more effort lately?

“No, no, no,” he said. “I had to do whatever I could to stay in the game. A lot of guys pace themselves. But for us right now, we have to go as hard as we can. I’m not in the best shape. So I can only do as much as my body allows me to do. Once I reach that limit, I try to push myself to another limit and then ask for a coach for a sub. Then I come back in. That’s the best way to get in shape, to go as hard as you can. Earlier in the season, that was tough.”

In other words, Howard couldn’t give all of his body simply because it wouldn’t let him. Now he can do it in short bursts so long as he receives a few moments of rest to recharge his body.

That’s helped in various ways.

Plenty of Kobe Bryant’s recent dunks happened partly because Howard set screens to clear space for the Lakers guard to drive into the lane. Steve Nash and Howard run the pick-and-roll with more frequency. And in the Lakers’ 99-98 win Sunday over the Atlanta Hawks, Howard recalled one play where he contested a shot at the free throw line before quickly sprinting back to the basket to grab the rebound.

“That was a play I wouldn’t have been able to make earlier in the season,” Howard said. “That shows my conditioning is a lot better. I have a long way to go to get where I’ve always been. But that is progress.”

The next step?

“I have to continue with the process and not get frustrated,” Howard said. “Sometimes it’s frustrating because I do wish I could do everything in the past. But I know it takes time.”

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:39 am

Doc Brown wrote:The link is to the video of him saying this, along with an interview about how he's perceived and all that jargon...

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Dwight Howard on his old Orlando Magic teammates: "My team in Orlando was a team full of people that nobody wanted." http://tinyurl.com/d82mgll
View summary Reply Retweet Favorite More

LOL Can't wait to see the Orlando fans reaction when we head over there, hope we win it this time

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 am

He's not necessarily wrong, but ouch. :man10:

And I'm glad to hear he's figuring out his conditioning. He certainly looks more energetic out there and it's causing a serious rukus on the floor defensively. Offensively he's not doing a ton of scoring, but he's setting good screens and his activity has cleared up space for Nash and Kobe to work.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 am

they gona throw stuff at him :man10:
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm

What is wrong with this guy? Why would you say something like that even if you think it in your head?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 pm

The Rock wrote:What is wrong with this guy? Why would you say something like that even if you think it in your head?

I don't get it either, especially since guys move teams all the time and some of those guys he just dissed could end up here at some point. Also, if he can make 82% free throws in practice but only 50% in real games, wow. You can't even do 60% in a game?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Unfortunately, he's mostly right about them... not that they weren't skilled -- no one wanted them mostly because their contracts were horrible. The talent was actually mediocre for the most part. Not the best, not the worst. Well, look at Clark. Who was he before he was discovered by MDA?

But yeah... why would he want to talk about that? :man3:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Maybe he meant "It was full of people nobody wanted and yet we were still competitive?"

As in "we showed them!"
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm

That was a cheap shot, hopefully karma doesn't bite him in the a** when we play there
JoelMyersScrotalSack

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard