D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: "They have a monster in the middle" (930)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:40 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:When we're on D, I spend 90% of the time just watching Dwight. It is amazing the presence this guy has out there. Players are scared s***less to go anywhere near the paint when Dwight is out there and he recovers so nicely to block shots even when the opposition beats one of our other guys off the dribble.

With that said our transition defense is still dreadful and one of the big reasons we still give up quite a few points despite Dwight's defensive dominance.

Definetely ... a recent study shows D12 presence on the floor makes opposite players take more mid-range Js than against any other player in the league ... the intimidation factor is HUGE
wcsoldier81

Re: Dwight Discussion: Beast mode engaged!

Postby KB24 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:22 am

trodgers wrote:
KB24 wrote:
nthydro wrote:Dwight Howard is so much better than Andrew Bynum.

at this point even Sacre is better than Bynum. Sacre has more minutes, rebounds, points, blocks, assists, steals and shoots better FG%. There are only 2 stats in favor of Bynum. He has less fouls and less turnovers.

But I'll take it for now.

Given that Bynum can't play, that's true. But Howard hasn't so far shown us anything Bynum didn't.

healthy knees :man11:

beside that Dwight is a more consistent rebounder. I'm not sure Bynum would grab 12rebounds in 14 straight games. We all knew Bynum is more polished on offense. But really, would Bynum be engaged with even LESS shots on offense? I would like to believe he would have been pissed and as a result not fired up to play defense. Dwight is without a doubt a better overall defender but he hasn't shown us consistent D, mainly because he wasn't in shape but I expect him to do that if he stays long term.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby nthydro on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:41 am

It's a shame he couldn't play defense like this the first half of the season. He would likely win DPOY again. It's funny how opposing players will sometimes rush shots or brick layups when he's nearby. Those stats don't show but it happens every game. He's no longer crying about shot attempts or touches. Just going out there and dominating on the defensive end and on the boards. The scary thing is he is not even close to 100% yet.
nthydro

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:07 am

Was looking at some numbers on BBall reference .

D12 in regular season : 3rd all time in defensive rebound % and 3rd all time in total rebound %... leads both categories in postseason ... impressive numbers
wcsoldier81

Postby frankrj on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 am

I just saw some highlights. Dam he is a monster!! You see that one block? My god.
His offense still needs work but dam can he defend. I can't wait for the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs. It could very well be KB and LBJ in the finals.
frankrj

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:53 am

Killing it with the blocks last night! Some of his finishes in the first half last night were sick too. He truly does look like he's feeling better. Let's see how he feels tonight though. Back to backs have been tough for him so far this year.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:01 pm

I don't wanna be that guy, but why is nobody complaining that he only got 6 "shots" last night? Is it only an issue that he gets that few shots when Kobe is playing, but when he's not its ok? Just saying, I don't see the usual people complaining about him going 4/6 for the game and not getting more shots, kinda odd.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't wanna be that guy, but why is nobody complaining that he only got 6 "shots" last night? Is it only an issue that he gets that few shots when Kobe is playing, but when he's not its ok? Just saying, I don't see the usual people complaining about him going 4/6 for the game and not getting more shots, kinda odd.

I agree with you but don't feed the trolls bro.
jOeyB7000

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't wanna be that guy, but why is nobody complaining that he only got 6 "shots" last night? Is it only an issue that he gets that few shots when Kobe is playing, but when he's not its ok? Just saying, I don't see the usual people complaining about him going 4/6 for the game and not getting more shots, kinda odd.

It just makes the agendas more obvious when Kobe comes back and D12 gets 6 shots. They who shall not be named haven't made a peep about it, but you better believe if Kobe is playing and that happens, all hell will break lose.

It really is funny that when the same thing happens minus Kobe, they don't say a word. Just gives people more reason not to take them serious when they do post all that nonsense.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:29 pm

So just for fun, until Kobe's back reasonably healthy and able to move and shoot well again and same for Pau with his all around game, we can think back to how exciting it was those times "young" Bynum got on those very impressive upward performance arcs that he would go on, looking like the sky was the limit. Until each of the two big arcs got stopped cold by his 2 big knee injuries.

Dwight as he gets farther along in his recovery from the surgery and in his conditioning again to where he wants to be.......is on the exact same type of impressive, aggressive upward performance arc right now in front of us since the all star break. "Beasting" we say. Because of his much greater quickness & athleticism and elite defensive and rebounding skills, with some improving offensive skills in the mix too, we should all enjoy the ride watching him come toward being all the way back and then taking it beyond where he's ever been before due to the skill level and big man (post) skills around him now with those associated with the Lakers franchise, and what he does over the summer. His ceiling is higher than Bynum's was. This should be quite a ride.
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Funny how that works. Our 3 Forwards Clark, MWP and Jamison shot 37 times (and only 7 assist total) last game. Our two Gaurds Nash and Blake shot 23 times (they did have 20 assist though). Hell even Jodi shot 6 times with 0 assit. Of course, we do have LetsgoLakers around blaiming Kobe and Odom1year was pissed Kobe wasn't on the bench so at least that is consistent. lol
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Well in defense of that thinking that Kobe should have been on the bench, I can see where it would have been useful to have Kobe mingling with the guys and exposing them all to the flu too. :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:09 pm

^you are right. How come Kobe didn't share his sickness with the guys? He is selfish. lol
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:28 pm

The impact he has on defense is just amazing.. Watching guys go up & second guess attempts near the basket, this guy alters shots without even being near them. No doubt our 1st half of the season would have went much differently with this version of Dwight.
lakersin4

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm

lol... His offensive game is hilariously janky. I'd rather have meta banging around and jacking shots. God bless him.
SpencerHarrison

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Alright... D12 with 14 official shots in the first half :jam2:
puffyusaf#2

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Dwight shot too much and took everyone out of rhythm.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Dude has Kwame touch around the basket.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Ras Algethi wrote:Dude has Kwame touch around the basket.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Not smart to have Dwight shoot that many times. Wasted possessions. Lakers had a chance to run up a lead before the half but got post bricks instead.

I actually like Howard's game enough to hope he stays in LA now, but this idea of him being a back to the basket post scorer is dense. Not his game. I'd rather see somebody take a contested 3. Dwight is for putbacks, second chance scoring, oops and easy feeds. He is NOT a primary scorer, and probably won't ever be.
SpencerHarrison

Postby King of Clutch on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:27 pm

LOL!!! The more you try to make sense of what kobe detractors are saying, the less actual sense it makes. I think its just years and years of BSPN psychological conditioning.
King of Clutch

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 pm

6-18 shooting? Seriously? How can you be almost 7 feet tall, take no shots outside of 5 feet, and shoot that bad? I'm happy with his recent energy, defense, rebounding, all that, but post-Kobe if we Dwight is here and we don't find a star PG/SG/SF to put next to him that can score at will and spoon-feed Dwight, we're going nowhere special.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Weezy wrote:6-18 shooting? Seriously? How can you be almost 7 feet tall, take no shots outside of 5 feet, and shoot that bad? I'm happy with his recent energy, defense, rebounding, all that, but post-Kobe if we Dwight is here and we don't find a star PG/SG/SF to put next to him that can score at will and spoon-feed Dwight, we're going nowhere special.

Yeah, it sucks. It looked like tonight his increased shooting was part of the gameplan. So, lesson learned. Like I said, with Kobe out, I would post MWP if you want iso shots.

Dwight is a god awful scorer.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:38 pm

2 of his makes came outside the paint and 2 of his misses were outside the paint.

He shot 4-14 in the paint. :man11:
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm

So easily frustrated. ..quite sad
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard