D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: 25/15/5/5 - 1st since 'Shaq in 97 (938)

Postby trodgers on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 am

hollywood swinger wrote:
trodgers wrote:
trodgers wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:see how hard people play when you include them in the offense?

I disagree with that appraisal.

I'll soften this a bit - I'll just say that I think that's too easy a take on the situation. It's not like he played out of his mind because he was involved. He was very active tonight, and the Lakers looked to get him involved. Not sure that one was directly and solely responsible for the other.

i get your point but lets just say D12 is more likely to play harder if he is getting involved on the offensive end. He is no different than any other big in the history of the game an by that history has proven when bigs get touches they are more active on defense and on the offensive boards. it is no excuse because imo whether you get touches or not you should bust your butt on defense and that goes for every player.

I think you're right, but that's true of so many players on our team...but there are only so many touches. So we have to play to the individual matchups often. Players have to know that if they work, they'll be rewarded...even if it's next game.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:59 am

Last night before Howard established some "groove" at the stripe, he and Gasol where yukking it up. I think it relaxed him a bit. Howard stepped up, took a breath and stopped pressing. Even Miller an expert free throw shooter noticed how his form and release was much better down the stretch.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 am

gcclaker wrote:Last night before Howard established some "groove" at the stripe, he and Gasol where yukking it up. I think it relaxed him a bit. Howard stepped up, took a breath and stopped pressing. Even Miller an expert free throw shooter noticed how his form and release was much better down the stretch.

Dwight likes to have fun while he's playing and I think that was a nice touch by Gasol.

Which kind of worries me :man10:

I don't want those two getting along too much because then we won't trade Gasol. I love Pau, but it's time to part ways.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:29 am

Gasol would be absolutely awesome as a cheap bench player to come in, score and distribute the ball. But we need to get an athletic wing for him if possible.

In other news, Dwight is playing very well lately. He's doing almost everything right and has a huge impact. If that continues, we'll make the playoffs, because we will win most of our games.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:33 am

karacha wrote:Gasol would be absolutely awesome as a cheap bench player to come in, score and distribute the ball. But we need to get an athletic wing for him if possible.

In other news, Dwight is playing very well lately. He's doing almost everything right and has a huge impact. If that continues, we'll make the playoffs, because we will win most of our games.

Gasol said if Dwight is here next year, he might want to get out.

If you think he can envision himself as a cheap bench player, you are probably drinking morpholine :man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 am

Gasol definitely doesn't want to be a cheap bench player at this stage of his career... He's definitely not worth 19 million though.

But hell if we trade him this summer and next summer he said he'd come back for cheap, I'd jump ALL over that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Last night before Howard established some "groove" at the stripe, he and Gasol where yukking it up. I think it relaxed him a bit. Howard stepped up, took a breath and stopped pressing. Even Miller an expert free throw shooter noticed how his form and release was much better down the stretch.

Dwight likes to have fun while he's playing and I think that was a nice touch by Gasol.

Which kind of worries me :man10:

I don't want those two getting along too much because then we won't trade Gasol. I love Pau, but it's time to part ways.

Youve discovered paus diabolical plan. Don't just befriend Kobe, now befriend Howard

The perfect crime
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm

You'd think his improved FT shooting during hack-a-Howard would dissuade teams from fouling him. Cause when he's allowed to get to the line roughly every 30 seconds he can find his shooting groove.

Can't say enough about his level of play since the All-Star break. Just pure domination on defense, solid improvement offensively and really hustling on the glass.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN wrote:Smith, of course, could be one of the people who changes things for Atlanta and the Hawks. Ferry has created some $33 million in salary-cap space to pursue at least one of the top free agents on the market this summer and re-sign Smith. Howard, Smith's close friend, will be one of those max players to hit the market this summer.

"Is Dwight serious about [Atlanta]? That's the question," Smith said. "Everybody would probably want to have him on the team.

"But Dwight is global now. That's in his mindset. He's addicted to it now. He's addicted to being global and international. That was the whole reason he wanted to leave Orlando is he wanted to have that big market.

"I'm not going to say it's farfetched [for Atlanta to lure Howard], but it is going to be kind of difficult to be able to persuade him."

Also on her article on Smith it says D12 will be Josh's best man this summer.
JSM

Postby kenshi1023 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:26 pm

sounds more like josh smith is saying josh smith wants to come to LA for a piece of that global pie!!!!
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:In these desperate times, the only fighting chance the Dallas Mavericks believed they had in unseating the Lakers and pushing a possible playoff run involved a ploy that’s become all too familiar to Dwight Howard.

Intentionally foul him and force him to make free throws.

No pressure.

The Lakers’ playoff fortunes only depended on Howard’s foul shooting. With the Lakers retiring Shaquille O’Neal’s No. 34 jersey at the Staples Center rafters, the former Lakers center hardly minced words on why he’s continuously expressed dissatisfaction with the new Superman.

“I’m just doing to him what others did to me,” O’Neal said. “I was a young kid averaging 20 [points a game]. Someone asked Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar] what he thought of me. He said, ‘He’s an OK player, but he doesn’t have any championships. It wasn’t really a diss, I just think it was Kareem’s issuance of a challenge to me to step it up a little bit. I’m not criticizing the guy, I’m just issuing a challenge.”

Howard took up that challenge. He helped the Lakers secure a 101-81 victory Tuesday over the Dallas Mavericks at Staples Center by making eight of his final 12 free throw attempts in the final 4:04 of the game.

“I think he believes when he steps up there, he’s going to make them,” Lakers guard Kobe Bryant said. “I firmly believe he thinks that now. He’s not concerned about it. He’s not nervous about it. He accepts the challenge to step it up there and knock it down.”

A similar thing happened in Howard’s return to Orlando for the first time since his trade last offseason to the Lakers. In that game, Howard shot 25 of 39 from the foul line.

“That’s the biggest pressure situation personally for him that he’s facing and going back to a hostile environment in an area that was a great deal of focus when he was there,” Bryant said. “He stepped them up and knocked them down.”

Howard offered more against Dallas than making foul shots. He provided everything. Howard posted a team-leading 24 points on 7 of 12 shooting and12 rebounds. That nearly satisfied O’Neal’s expectation that he average at least 28 points and 10 rebounds per game.

“The other guy [Howard] needs to step into his own,” O’Neal said. “I would like to see him average 28 and 10. That’s the number that was thrown in my face, 28 and 10, so that’s the number I’m always going to throw in his face. “I see a kid with a lot of talent. When I see him averaging 16 or 18, that’s not enough for me.”

Howard hardly sounded interested in hearing about O’Neal’s feedback.

“I’ve never heard it from him personally,” Howard said. “I just feel in today’s society, if you have something to say positive or negative about somebody, you should go to that person and say it to them. Because people and twist it and turn it. But nevertheless, I’m happy for Shaq.He had his jersey retired when he was young, his kids were here, it’s great.”

Yet, O’Neal’s ceremony brought a vivid reminder on how Howard could follow in the footsteps of other great Lakers centers, which have also included George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain and Abdul-Jabbar.

When the Lakers unveiled O’Neal’s No. 34 jersey in the Staples Center rafters at halftime Tuesday, the moment brought the four-time NBA champion and fifth all-time leading scorer full circle.

When the Lakers signed O’Neal to a seven-year, $120 million deal in 1996, former general manager Jerry West offered this prediction to O’Neal when he scanned the Fabulous Forum eying various retired jerseys, including those of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Wilt Chamberlain.

“He told me to look up (at the rafters) and said, `If you do things the right way son, you can be as good as these guys,” O’Neal recalled. “I didn’t believe him at first. But I turned into a dominant player.

At Howard’s introductory press conference last August, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak offered a similar prediction.

“Me and Mitch have had plenty of talks about everything,” Howard said. “I told him what I tell you guys. What matters is right now and what we can control today. That’s all that matters.”

And to Howard, that doesn’t include recognizing the similar personality traits with O’Neal, what with their outsized personalities, Superman nicknames and dominant inside presence.

“Everybody else is comparing us. I don’t compare myself to Shaq. I’m Dwight Howard,” he said. “We just have had some similar things that have happened to us. We both started in Orlando, got traded to the Lakers. It’s nothing that we can control.”

What Howard controlled involved having a great performance on the same night the Lakers honored another great center.

“I’m happy for him. He’s done a lot of great things for the NBA and also for the Lakers. He deserves it. He deserves to have his number retired for all the hard work he’s put in. that’s what we all want as players is to have our numbers retired. he’s one of the greatest to ever play. he’s one of the funniest guys off the court and he made it fun for a lot of guys in LA.”

Howard can do that, too.
JSM

Postby charvin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Anyone think that a Center averaging 28/10 is really difficult in today's game? I rewatched the SAS/LA 2001 series and was awed by how both Bryant and O'Neal were each averaging over 30 PPG in that series and that almost amounted to 3/4 of the scoring from SAS.
charvin

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 pm

I don't know about 28/10 but I think Dwight can put up 24/15 if he continues improving his game & stays healthy. The longer Kobe stays around the better Dwight will end up.. Kobe is challenging him to be great & it seems like Dwight has accepted the challenges so far.
lakersin4

Postby JSM on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:02 am

USA TODAY Sports ‏@USATODAYsports 21m
Dwight Howard has missed more FTs this season than Steve Nash has missed in his 17-year career. http://usat.ly/Yy6RkQ
JSM

Postby BigDan24 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 am

JSM wrote:
Dwight Howard has missed more FTs this season than Steve Nash has missed in his 17-year career. http://usat.ly/Yy6RkQ

ouch!
BigDan24

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 am

Pretty amazing when you think about it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 am

haha... damn that is saying something
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby davriver290 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 am

Its all really mental for Dwight. He has good form and a nice release, he's just gotta relax when he goes to the line.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:59 am

JSM wrote:

Nash has missed THAT many free throws in his career?!?!?!?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Finwë on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 am

It says something pretty extreme about both of them. One good, the other ... :man10: not so much
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JSM on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Also interesting...

SteveNashChronicles ‏@stevenashchroni 55m
@mcten @SixersBlog Equally fun: Howard, who's only 27 & a terrible FT shooter, has hit 21% more career FTs than Nash, who's 39 & the best.
JSM

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 pm

That's because Dwight is camping on the FT line. If he was able to hit more then 70% of them, he'd be one of the leading scorer's in the league, easily.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:45 pm

BigDan24 wrote:
JSM wrote:

ouch!

:man10:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Just a fun mix

I'm glad he's gotten rid of the headband

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby abeer3 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:38 pm

espn still speculating front page about him going to houston, atlanta, or dallas.

i'm much less concerned about this than i was 2 months ago. but i'm sure espn's audience is buying this...hard.
abeer3

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard