D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: Houston we have a problem (986)

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 22m
Interesting off season looming.. Will spend time with d12 #stay and talk with the Buss family in hopes that Pau stays as well #my2cents
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

First part is a given, but second part makes you think that Pau is gone.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon May 20, 2013 6:34 pm

^Interesting.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon May 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Id be more insulted than hurt if Dwight left, but Id certainly be pissed if he left in large part because he doesn't like playing for Pringles but Jimmy decided to keep him anyways.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby abeer3 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:15 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
abeer3 wrote:ok, now i'm nervous. that guy is known to beat in touch with what Dwight's thinking, and he's basically saying he's going to Houston. no reading between lines required.

Why nervous? If he left, then so be it. If somebody doesn't want to be in a Lakers uniform with the pressure & expectations, they can pack their bags & in this case head to Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta. I don't care. Would I like to resign him? Of course. I think he'll re-sign, too. However, I'm indifferent to what happens. We're not losing Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Kareem, etc. He needs to do what's right for Dwight. If he feels that's resigning or leaving to his preferred destination, that's his decision.

nervous because rebuilding is always more painful than exciting, until the end stages. I just have flashbacks to the post-Jordan bulls. that's why I thought the howard trade was such a coup when it happened (figuring he'd stay). it's rare to get another superstar to bridge the gap.
abeer3

Postby LAKEROC on Mon May 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Bringing back Phil jackson last year, would have almost guaranteed we didn't go through this crap with Dwight. Thanks Jim Buss. You need to be the man now, and fire Mike D'Antoni, grovel to Phil jackson, and BEG the man to come back!!!!
LAKEROC

Postby lakersin4 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 22m
Interesting off season looming.. Will spend time with d12 #stay and talk with the Buss family in hopes that Pau stays as well #my2cents

First part is a given, but second part makes you think that Pau is gone.

Sure does.. Wonder what kind of offers Mitch is getting.
lakersin4

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Smith clarified and said that he knows for a fact that Dwight wants Phil and not Pringles, and he can say definitively that if Dwight doesn't re-sign then Pringles being the coach would be a big reason why. He basically came as close as possible to admitting that Dwight told him directly that he wants Pringles gone.

The Jeanie taking Jim's story I guess sprung up out of the belief that Phil being back with the organization wouldn't happen if Jim is still running the show.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby abeer3 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:15 pm

how would Dwight even know that he wants phil?

and we all want dantoni gone, though i'm still not sure how kevin McHale is such a superior alternative. he basically stole/tweaked dantoni ball to squeak into the playoffs last year.
abeer3

Postby abeer3 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:15 pm

how would Dwight even know that he wants phil?

and we all want dantoni gone, though i'm still not sure how kevin McHale is such a superior alternative. he basically stole/tweaked dantoni ball to squeak into the playoffs last year.
abeer3

Postby The Rock on Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 pm

I wasn't too concerned about SAS's thoughts until Rudolph started echoing them as well..hes the closest guy to Dwight. He is reliable. Hate the new sentiment about the Lakers now

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Kingsama on Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 pm

A large part of me really hopes that Jim can be forced out and MD with him... Push away Dwight, push away!!!
Kingsama

Postby The Rock on Mon May 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Jim can't be forced out, with that said I think he needs to let Mitch do his job instead of meddling. Same goes for Phil. Hope they can all work it out and do their parts...Jim cut the checks, Mitch manage the team, Phil coach the team on the court

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JSM on Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Dave McMenamin of ESPN wrote:
The Los Angeles Lakers do not yet know Dwight Howard's decision for next season, but the All-Star center made his feelings about Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni known before starting his offseason.

Nearly three weeks have passed since Howard had his exit interview with the Lakers and there's been barely a peep out of Howard since.

While he hasn't had anything to say to the press, Howard had a lot to say to Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak back before the relative silence, however.

Howard was one of several Lakers -- Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol being the most noteworthy -- to have an extended separate meeting with the GM after his exit interview with both Kupchak and D'Antoni, multiple sources confirmed to ESPNLosAngeles.com.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, part of the discussion between Howard and Kupchak centered around Howard's frustration with D'Antoni -- particularly how the center felt marginalized as the coach looked to Bryant and Steve Nash for leadership and suggestions and discounted Howard's voice.

Every player was afforded the opportunity to meet with Kupchak individually after D'Antoni left the room, but few spent as much time as Howard and Kupchak did together. Antawn Jamison also had a separate meeting with Kupchak without D'Antoni present, but that was because of a scheduling conflict.

Kupchak left the meeting with Howard undeterred, telling reporters he was "hopeful" and "optimistic" that Howard would be back with the Lakers next season and beyond, yet there have been several developments in the last couple weeks that could have an effect on Howard's decision.

D'Antoni chose not to retain assistant coach Chuck Person, a Howard confidant, on his staff for next season. Also, Lakers assistant coach Steve Clifford, who was with Howard in Orlando for five seasons before both of them came to L.A. last year, has become a hot head coaching candidate, interviewing with Milwaukee and receiving interest from Charlotte.

One source described the potential departure of Clifford, coupled with the loss of Person as "removing the buffers," between Howard and D'Antoni, "which is a bad thing."

Howard has not conducted any interviews since the standard exit interview with the press and has only tweeted six times in that span -- one tweet containing a silly tongue twister joke, two tweets from a '50s-style theme restaurant, two sponsored tweet promoting contact lenses and one tweet on Mother's Day -- so there have been no public clues about what decision the pending free agent will make.

Howard retreated to Lake Tahoe, Calif., for a fishing trip in the meantime as the days tick by on the six weeks remaining until free agency officially begins.

Bryant addressed the uncertainty surrounding Howard on Monday, tweeting, "Interesting off season looming.. Will spend time with d12 #stay and talk with the Buss family in hopes that Pau stays as well #my2cents"

Howard can sign a five-year, $118 million max-level extension to stay in L.A. come July 1. The most he could receive if he were to leave is a four-year deal worth $87.6 million.

The $30.4 million more the Lakers can offer over any other competitor is certainly an advantage L.A. is banking on when it comes time for Howard to choose, however the economics aren't as swayed towards the Lakers as it would appear.

Two of the teams that will covet Howard's services the most this summer -- the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks -- are located in Texas, where there is no income tax. Howard would still have to pay taxes on road games and other taxes, such as property taxes in Texas tend to be higher than in other states, and the endorsement opportunities in Houston could be less than they are in L.A., yet still, the salary difference doesn't seem to bother Howard.

Houston has become an attractive destination for Howard for several other reasons, according to a source. For starters, Howard has gotten to know the Houston area, as well as the history of the franchise, from working out with Rockets Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon two summers ago. Furthermore, the 27-year-old Howard is intrigued by the possibility of growing his game alongside a fellow All-Star on the rise in James Harden, who turns 24 in August.

Howard is expected to entertain the free-agency process and hear competing offers from Houston, Dallas and others, multiple sources told ESPNLosAngeles.com. Cleveland and Atlanta are teams that will also be vying for Howard, among other suitors.

The question remains as to how much of a hurdle D'Antoni's presence could prove to be in Howard's chances of remaining a Laker.

"We had to just sell out to whatever he wanted, whether we liked it or not," Howard said of D'Antoni following his exit interview. "We had to do what was going to benefit the team, and being one of the leaders on the team, I had to make sure I kept the guys in line to what the coach wanted us to do."

A source said Howard was very careful with his public comments about D'Antoni after the season, wary of attracting a "coach killer reputation" after how things ended in Orlando with Stan Van Gundy losing his job. Despite the frustration Howard had with D'Antoni last season, there is nothing to suggest the partnership is irreparable. "It's not a, 'It's me or Mike,' situation for Dwight," said a source.

Kupchak did not seem worried about any potential rift between player and coach.

"I think Dwight likes winning, he likes performing at a high level," Kupchak said. "I think he's fine with Mike D'Antoni, but I'm not really concerned if players like a coach, so I don't ask that question. Our coaches are evaluated by wins and losses."

Kupchak was further pressed about the possibility of a coaching change being dictated by a player.

"This organization has a precedent with that kind of a situation and I think we learned our lesson," Kupchak said, referring to when Paul Westhead was fired in the early '80s and the decision was tied to Magic Johnson's wishes. Whether that was the real story or not, both Johnson and the Lakers organization took a hit for how it was perceived.

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon May 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Id bet that if Phil and Jimmy worked out something, and Phil called Dwight up to the office and told him he'll coach him for a year or two while he finds and grooms the best coach for the long haul, Dwight would feel like all that and a bag of chips. It'd be symbolic in his mind. "Phil officially passing the torch to Coach XYZ, Kobe doing the same with me and XYZ"

There are certain people for better or worse you just cant help but take more seriously and feel more confident with them on your side because you figure they're so ridiculously successful that they must know what they're talking about.

Apparently Phil is one of those guys in Dwight's mind, Dr Buss would've been the same. Pringles is a hot mess that can't be taken seriously, and he'll just keep holding down Jim until he cuts him loose.

Tobias Funke

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 20, 2013 8:50 pm

We are going to see how bad the FO wants Dwight to stay, that's for sure.

I don't see MDA coaching this team beyond 2-3 years. Dwight could be here for the next 7-8.

Decisions, decisions....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: Dwight Discussion: D12 felt marginalized by MDA (989)

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 19s
Howard's frustration with D'Antoni is no secret. He was also frustrated when Kupchak said MDA was safe. That put potential firing on Dwight.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Mon May 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Dwight or MDA?

:mhihi:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon May 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Looking into my crystal ball.... he's gone, probably Houston. Younger promising team on the rise around him, less pressure and no Dan Tony. I also do winning lotto numbers but require a % of the winnings. Hit me up with PMs for those. If the "ball" is wrong on this however, its magical powers must have run their course and I will toss it and be happy we still have him.
LTLakerFan

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Let's roll with MDA :man9:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby The Rock on Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 pm

The Lakers will always choose the player over a coach....D'Antoni is gone

Now will Phil be ok with just a coaching role or is he gona be an A-hole and say no thanks

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Legendary on Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Legendary

Postby Weezy on Mon May 20, 2013 9:25 pm

I don't even like Dwight and I think choosing 'Antoni over him is idiotic and insane. It's clear he's not the coach for LA, just pay him his money and move on. I do not think Phil returns either way though, Roland Lazenby has been tweeting a lot the past few days about Phil, Jim, Jeanie, Kobe, and Tex Winter. He says the gulf between Jim and Jeanie is huge and Dr Buss set things up before his death to prevent Jeanie and Phil from taking things over from Jim, apparently Jerry and Phil were clashing egos as well. His tweets are a great read, I highly recommend them. (He also talked a ton about the Kobe MJ comparisons and Phil and Tex's relationship and issues it had because of jerk things Phil did).
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Stan Van then?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Fun fun fun
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 pm

abeer3 wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:
abeer3 wrote:ok, now i'm nervous. that guy is known to beat in touch with what Dwight's thinking, and he's basically saying he's going to Houston. no reading between lines required.

Why nervous? If he left, then so be it. If somebody doesn't want to be in a Lakers uniform with the pressure & expectations, they can pack their bags & in this case head to Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta. I don't care. Would I like to resign him? Of course. I think he'll re-sign, too. However, I'm indifferent to what happens. We're not losing Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Kareem, etc. He needs to do what's right for Dwight. If he feels that's resigning or leaving to his preferred destination, that's his decision.

nervous because rebuilding is always more painful than exciting, until the end stages. I just have flashbacks to the post-Jordan bulls. that's why I thought the howard trade was such a coup when it happened (figuring he'd stay). it's rare to get another superstar to bridge the gap.

I understand that, and I agree to an extent. We've had some rough patches in Lakerland; I even remember as if it were yesterday Kobe wanting to be traded because he thought the FO wasn't doing enough to assemble a championship roster. I was obviously more concerned about that; Kobe was best player in the league and there was no package out there good enough to replace a Kobe.

I say that to say this; I don't feel the same way about Dwight; rebuilding is always much easier when you have the best center in the league. However, we always find a way to land on our feet. It might be painful, though. You're right about that.

As for all the speculation surrounding today, I'm glad it's coming out early. We're still in the very beginning of this process and still have a chance to make changes concerning the head coach. Dwight wants Phil. Plain & Simple, IMO. He wanted him last November, and he wants him now. Phil wants to work in some capacity for the Lakers, IMO. I always worry about the player telling the FO what to do; I think it creates a bad precedent. Nevertheless, in this case, I think this is something that needs to happen if they want to keep Dwight.
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard