D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: D12 felt marginalized by MDA (989)

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Legendary wrote:Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 pm

I said it when it happened.....Jim and Mitch made a HUGE mistake when they faked their consideration of Phil after Brown got canned and they had obviously had no intentions of hiring him.

The bull ish all came full circle when Mitch sat up infront of the media after the team got swept and told us that Pringles deserves credit for being flexible and adapting since the roster wasn't a fit for his system (false statement), only months after initially telling us that the reason they passed on Phil was because Pringles' system was a better fit for the roster.

Set aside the petty garbage and reconcile. Please.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby The Rock on Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Can Phil even coach...go on the road and all that, he dreaded it in his last couple of years here

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby S.R.05 on Mon May 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 pm

The Rock wrote:Can Phil even coach...go on the road and all that, he dreaded it in his last couple of years here

If Phil tells Dwight he's not up to coaching but that he's worked things out with Jim and will be working in the office, and he's gonna bring in Brian Shaw who he groomed for years to be the coach, I think that'll be good enough for Dwight.

Dwight gets Phil's system that he obviously thinks he's a great fit in, he gets the guy Phil initially chose and already groomed to be his successor as his coach, and he gets Phil in a position where his influence will be heavily felt in the coaching of the team, and he'd also have power above and beyond just being a coach.

Much much easier said than done though.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby noobiew on Mon May 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Hey guy, BREAKING NEWS ! Dwight Howard is frustrated in meeting with Mitch for D'Antoni

LOL, so was that mean that our FO already decided to choose Mike D'Antoni over Dwight Howard ? Image
Last edited by noobiew on Tue May 21, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby noobiew on Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 am

Dwight : "I am 28 in my prime year at the moment and I want to win the championship now before I hit 30+ where my athleticism would start to diminish, I hope and want to compete immediately and for years to come, I don't want to waste another year and waiting"

Dwight: "So Mitch would you able to find the right pieces and able to build a team around me ? I want to know what can your offer to me before I sign the contract extension and commit my long-term in LA "

Mitch: "Yes we can offer you Mike D'Antoni and Jim Buss"

Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby kenzo on Tue May 21, 2013 12:11 am

i don't think i ever cared less about what's going on with the Lakers. Im just a bad fan i guess. Howard and MDA can't co-exist, that's obvious. Howard has a knack for getting coaches fired, he pisses me off to the limits but the choice is simple here. If the FO picks MDA over a freakin ball boy, they're dumb as a rock.
kenzo

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 12:47 am

BTW I must say that this is one of the few great PR moves made by Dwight's camp in quite some time. Instead of it being about the Rockets or the Lakers, which is Dwight's decision, it now becomes Dwight and Phil or Dantoni, a choice the front office would have to make.

Maybe he wants to go to Houston and he's already seen first hand that Jim and Phil can never co-exist again so he's taking advantage of an excuse to bolt. Maybe Phil returning to the Lakers really would make Dwight stay and he's just trying to hurry it along since Mitch continues to endorse Pringles.

Either way, these "sources" mentioning Dwight's frustration with Pringles shifts all the pressure to the Lakers front office IMO.

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersin4 on Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 am

Tobias Funke wrote:I said it when it happened.....Jim and Mitch made a HUGE mistake when they faked their consideration of Phil after Brown got canned and they had obviously had no intentions of hiring him.

The bull ish all came full circle when Mitch sat up infront of the media after the team got swept and told us that Pringles deserves credit for being flexible and adapting since the roster wasn't a fit for his system (false statement), only months after initially telling us that the reason they passed on Phil was because Pringles' system was a better fit for the roster.

Set aside the petty garbage and reconcile. Please.

I don't want to make excuses for Jimmy because I was against the hire too. But let's be honest, our strengths didn't end up being what we thought they were when D'antoni was hired. Not many people expected Nash to have so much trouble running the offense that he'd have to become a spot up shooter. The notion that Pau could be a stretch 4 was obviously naive on their part but you can't blame them for thinking MDA + Nash = success + a fun product to watch.. Up until this season, they would have been dead on. Now that we know Kobe needs to continue handling the ball & we have to play through the post alot more, yeah Phil is a no brainer.
lakersin4

Postby abeer3 on Tue May 21, 2013 4:55 am

I read this situation differently than others. Dwight doesn't want dantoni gone (at least not yet). despite his public protests (irony), he's still quite into his image. if the lakers fire dantoni, he's officially a coach killer, imo. even if he leaves.

so there's two ways to read it: one is that he's already decided he's going to Houston, and thus the lakers can do whatever they want with dantoni, it's his team now. the other is that he wants the lakers FO to pressure dantoni into catering to Dwight. I think they already have (and should, for that matter).

i'm glad that kobe had publicly stated that he's getting in on recruiting. hopefully it's not too little too late, as his generally aloof attitude towards howard in the past is part of why we're here. never understood that from kobe, either; he should have been eager to get Dwight and thrilled to play with him. instead, he seemed to tolerate the situation at first and then slowly grow to appreciate it. he didn't have that problem with pau, so I don't know what the deal would be here.

btw, who would have thought the espn article would be the most fair and balanced take yet. none of the sensationalism of the other ones, no stretching of the limits of credulity to make a furor over Dwight's exit. just laid out the information.
abeer3

Postby hollywood swinger on Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 am

D12 would be a fool to resign with the Lakers. We have a horrible head coach , the front office can't seem to recognize this, kobe is still living in the past thinking pau should stay & is a championship piece still, the teams pg (nash) is a shot 40 year old shell of himself who can't even play pg anymore & the best other coaching option is a broken down retired phil jackson, a roster of lazy self entitled stars who think they can slack on Defense & just worry about offense & D12 can clean up their doo doo defensive mess. Lakers are done for the next 3-4 years. After next year we are free financially so it will take time to build roster & new coach then gel going thru roster turnover & then playoff failure before we get back on top. We won't be back until 2016 folks. Stay patient
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue May 21, 2013 5:29 am

I called Dwight to the Rockets 4 months ago. It just makes too much sense.
[url]
lakers-discussion/lakers-fear-dwight-howard-will-the-unthinkable-t136969-75.html#p3796374[/url]

I think if Dwight was 24 or 25 we would've had better chance of re-signing him. But he is not exactly a young player anymore. He is 28 and is entering his 10th season. Realistically he has about 3 years left at playing at a superstar level. He wouldn't want to waste it on a team that has so many question marks.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 21, 2013 5:35 am

^^^^ Remember when you called that Kobe wasn't a top 20 player anymore?

lakers_09tv wrote:
Kobe is done as an elite player in this league. I doubt he is even in the top 20 anymore.

You sure called that one. WOOT WOOT TOOT THAT HORN WOOT WOOT TOOT TOOT
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby 432J on Tue May 21, 2013 6:44 am

well there's your choice lakers FO, pick the best option for the long run

howard or mike d'antoni
:man10:
432J

Postby Finwë on Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 am

Doc Brown wrote:^^^^ Remember when you called that Kobe wasn't a top 20 player anymore?

lakers_09tv wrote:
Kobe is done as an elite player in this league. I doubt he is even in the top 20 anymore.

:man10: :man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby SK8 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:33 am

My friend is telling me that this is Dwight in the middle when he was thirteen?

I don't know, he is looking nothing like Dwight to me....
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:35 am

Doc Brown wrote:^^^^ Remember when you called that Kobe wasn't a top 20 player anymore?

lakers_09tv wrote:

and the "burn of the morning award" goes to Doc :man10:
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue May 21, 2013 8:50 am

Well, at least we have 33 yr old Gasol, a 40 yr old Nash and 35 yr old Kobe coming off major surgery. That there is a contender.

Looking at the tea leaves from the past couple pages, Dwight looks like he is leaning towards Houston. Quite honestly, if the Lakers are that dead set on D'Antoni, I don't blame him. Bad hire up front, doubling down now. For the first time, I'm starting to think the Lakers glory days are behind them. As long as Jim continues to think he is a basketball guy, they will be like the Dallas Cowboys. Tons of money and some stars, but poorly constructed with puppet coaches.
Savory Griddles

Postby noobiew on Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 am

abeer3 wrote:I read this situation differently than others. Dwight doesn't want dantoni gone (at least not yet). despite his public protests (irony), he's still quite into his image. if the lakers fire dantoni, he's officially a coach killer, imo. even if he leaves.

so there's two ways to read it: one is that he's already decided he's going to Houston, and thus the lakers can do whatever they want with dantoni, it's his team now. the other is that he wants the lakers FO to pressure dantoni into catering to Dwight. I think they already have (and should, for that matter).

No I am thinking differently and don't believe that he's already decided going to Houston. I am truly believe that Dwight is currently already wearing the jersey he wants to wear and wanted to stay in LA, he did told that his dream and he wanted to play for the Lakers in the past, but in order for him to commit his future to LA, he made it clear and let us know that the coach just can't be D'Anotni. I don't believe that Houston is his first choice over LA.

It's all up to Jimmy now.
noobiew

Postby kingjsun on Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 am

All these "reading in between the lines" is killing me. Why can't we just make a decision. If Howard has reservations, he should state them. I'll stay if MDA is gone for example. I'll go to Houston if this or that. Quit playing with my emotions and lets do this. If the FO is set on keeping MDA then so be it, I'll watch lots and lots of recorded games from the 80's and 2000's to keep my sanity.
Buckle up! This off season is going to be some ride...
kingjsun

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 am

karacha wrote:Dwight or MDA?

:mhihi:

get rid of both of em
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 am

lakersin4 wrote:I don't want to make excuses for Jimmy because I was against the hire too. But let's be honest, our strengths didn't end up being what we thought they were when D'antoni was hired. Not many people expected Nash to have so much trouble running the offense that he'd have to become a spot up shooter. The notion that Pau could be a stretch 4 was obviously naive on their part but you can't blame them for thinking MDA + Nash = success + a fun product to watch.. Up until this season, they would have been dead on. Now that we know Kobe needs to continue handling the ball & we have to play through the post alot more, yeah Phil is a no brainer.

Quite a few people didn't think this would work from the start. After winning titleS with Kobe having the ball and lots of post play, that shouldve been a given with this team, but the front office got caught up fantasizing about a flashy guard and a "fun" system that in actuality has been far, far less successful than our supposedly "boring" style of play.

The biggest thing is that you dont bring in a guy whose system so heavily depends on the pg when the point guard is the 4th best player on the team. And especially not when he's pushing 40. Its one of the reasons I never hated the Princeton as much as others personally.

Tobias Funke

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 9:52 am

Finwë wrote:

lakers_09tv wrote:

:man10: :man10:

That aint even right man. Thats worse than the guy that said before the season started that Kobe would be the 3rd best player behind Nash and Dwight. :man10: :man10:

Tobias Funke

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 am

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 2m
Asked if Dwight will re-sign with Lakers, Phil said on @dpshow: "Would you, if you didn't feel like your game wasn't going to be featured?"
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard