D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: Kobe wants the final word (pg 1007)

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:18 am

And to add to that.....

1.) Blake Griffin at 20 million dollars in 2016-2017 and 18 million until that year with no opt out clauses. HELL NO.

2.) Eric Bledsoe is a restricted free agent. You know what that means? It means some team is going to give him a ridiculous contract and we are going to have to match it save face in the trade. So now we have an overpaid Bledsoe with a complete joke making max taking up our cap space. HELL NO.

Sounds like loads of fun.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 am

What's hilarious about that article is that Broussard took maybe 2-3 facts and made them a story about the Clippers... But check this out:

Facts:
1. Howard and Paul both love playing in LA.
2. Neither Howard nor Paul want to go to a city like Atlanta after living in Los Angeles.
3. Neither the Clippers nor the Lakers have any significant money to spend on the other free agent in the city.

So clearly both guys want to play for the Clippers. Even though Paul was reportedly ecstatic about the Lakers, his Clippers interview seemed to be the same speech he had prepared for the Lakers, and history has shown that between the two franchises the Clippers will always and forever fail under the leadership of Sterling.

If BOTH players want to play in Los Angeles... which team makes the most sense? The team with a seemingly maxed out potential in the Clippers who are so dependent on Paul that they can't do anything without him...

Or the Lakers who have Howard, a humbled Kobe, and in 2014 enough Cap Space to make HUGE noise. I mean seriously, we could give Howard and Paul 20 million each and still have 20 million to spend if Kobe and Nash retire.

What would make more sense? The Lakers trading away Howard for garbage that they don't want to a team in their own building let alone conference let alone division...

Or Paul taking a one-year pay-cut and then getting his max deal the next summer to rebuild almost immediately with the Lakers? Rebuild in fact around two young players in their primes with enough money potentially to sign ANOTHER great player if they wanted to.

I'd say neither are likely, but the second one makes way more sense to me. :man10: I know I'm biased, but still. One scenario has a franchise totally crippling themselves... and the other has a single player taking a significant risk.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:23 am

I would rather trade Dwight for JUST Bledsoe than Bledsoe and Griffin. Griffin is worthless other than a few awe inspiring dunks that get the crowd momentarily jacked. I wouldn't want 15 million in cap space wrapped up in him.
Savory Griddles

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:23 am

Um . . . what Doc Brown and Puffy said. It figures Broussard would be stirring up some total nonsense. I've never liked that guy or his "journalism."

But yeah, just as Doc said, the fact that those two want to play together is common knowledge and has been for some time. Sure, it's news that they are looking for it to happen, but as mentioned, it's going to be very difficult for that to happen.

Question - isn't there a scenario where Paul can come to the Lakers? Just extend for another year or something and then we can pick him up after Pau and MWP, Kobe come off the books? Am I just making that up? What is the scenario with that again?

^^ Aaah, I guess realdeal just spelled it out for me. We were writing at the same time.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Amoray on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:25 am

If I were Lakers FO decision maker, I would have amnest Kobe to come back next year if he wants and bring cp3 and D12. For those of you in love with Kobe for life ask him to marry you, that is the only way you can fulfill your inside personal love with Kobe not the Lakers team.
Last edited by Amoray on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amoray

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26 am

I don't think Blake is some great player, but I obviously don't value Dwight as highly as you guys do either. I don't think either guy is going to be our main star in a championship season.. But I think either of them would give us a better shot at attracting that alpha star when we have cap space than not having anyone at all.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26 am

Lakerjones wrote:Um . . . what Doc Brown and Puffy said. It figures Broussard would be stirring up some total nonsense. I've never liked that guy or his "journalism."

But yeah, just as Doc said, the fact that those two want to play together is common knowledge and has been for some time. Sure, it's news that they are looking for it to happen, but as mentioned, it's going to be very difficult for that to happen.

Question - isn't there a scenario where Paul can come to the Lakers? Just extend for another year or something and then we can pick him up after Pau and MWP, Kobe come off the books? Am I just making that up? What is the scenario with that again?

Basically he can sign here for the mini-MLE (3.1 million) and next summer we can offer him the max contract available to any basic free agent out there because we'll have tons of Cap Space. He wouldn't get paid as much as he would with the Clippers but... well he wouldn't have to be a Clipper either.

I pointed it out up there^.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:28 am

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Um . . . what Doc Brown and Puffy said. It figures Broussard would be stirring up some total nonsense. I've never liked that guy or his "journalism."

Basically he can sign here for the mini-MLE (3.1 million) and next summer we can offer him the max contract available to any basic free agent out there because we'll have tons of Cap Space. He wouldn't get paid as much as he would with the Clippers but... well he wouldn't have to be a Clipper either.

I pointed it out up there^.

Yeah, I edited my post up there after I saw yours realdeal. The mini MLE isn't going to happen. Couldn't Paul just extend at his current salary for one more year with the Paper Clips?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:30 am

That Broussard story is a pile of crap. Oh, well. Less then a month to find out whether D12 stays or goes...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:31 am

^ Yes he could sign a one-year contract with the Clippers if he wanted to that amounts to about 19.5 million or so.

My scenario a while ago was for him to do that: sign a one year deal with a player optioned second. It's the only way I'd stay with the Clippers if I were him. It would FORCE them to continue being competitive or risk losing me to free agency.

In that scenario, he stays with the Clippers for a year and if they struggle again in the playoffs, he moves on and comes to the Lakers.

Either scenario is unlikely, but possible. I feel like if Paul were to take that 19.5 million he wouldn't stop there, he'd just take his giant contract. But that's just my opinion.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:38 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Yes he could sign a one-year contract with the Clippers if he wanted to that amounts to about 19.5 million or so.

My scenario a while ago was for him to do that: sign a one year deal with a player optioned second. It's the only way I'd stay with the Clippers if I were him. It would FORCE them to continue being competitive or risk losing me to free agency.

In that scenario, he stays with the Clippers for a year and if they struggle again in the playoffs, he moves on and comes to the Lakers.

Either scenario is unlikely, but possible. I feel like if Paul were to take that 19.5 million he wouldn't stop there, he'd just take his giant contract. But that's just my opinion.

I don't see it.. CP3 is too injury prone to risk that. He's going to want atleast 3 years guaranteed this offseason.
lakersin4

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:41 am

Amoray wrote:If I were Lakers FO decision maker, I would have amnest Kobe to come back next year if he wants and bring cp3 and D12. For those of you in love with Kobe for life ask him to marry you, that is the only way you can fulfill your inside personal love with Kobe not the Lakers team.

One does not simply "amnesty" Kobe Bryant. :man10: Here I thought the Broussard article was the worst thing I would read today. That didn't even last an hour. Oh well off to ask Kobe to marry me.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:48 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Amoray wrote:If I were Lakers FO decision maker, I would have amnest Kobe to come back next year if he wants and bring cp3 and D12. For those of you in love with Kobe for life ask him to marry you, that is the only way you can fulfill your inside personal love with Kobe not the Lakers team.

One does not simply "amnesty" Kobe Bryant. :man10: Here I thought the Broussard article was the worst thing I would read today. That didn't even last an hour. Oh well off to ask Kobe to marry me.

HE'S MINE TAKE A SEAT PUFFY!!!!!

\__
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:50 am

lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ Yes he could sign a one-year contract with the Clippers if he wanted to that amounts to about 19.5 million or so.

I don't see it.. CP3 is too injury prone to risk that. He's going to want atleast 3 years guaranteed this offseason.

I agree. I didn't say either scenario was likely, but if I were Paul that's what I would do. He's supposedly the greatest competitor in the sport today. Well then why give 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 years of my life, the prime of my career, to a team that's shown OVER and OVER again that they aren't willing to do what it takes to build a Champion?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:59 am

Random Poster on another board wrote:

It's actually possible to keep Kobe in a sign and trade for Paul but the scenario is highly unlikely, because why would the Clippers want Pau Gasol? The Lakers would first have to amnesty Metta then trade Blake and Hill for no salary.

Luxury tax is at $71.5 Million so the tax apron would be at $75.5 Million, the sign and trade is only prohibited if the resulting trade takes you over the apron.

Kobe $30,453,805
Nash $ 9,300,500
I didn't use Pau because he's included in the sign and trade so that's $35.7 Million to split between Howard and CP3. Howard takes $18 Million and Paul sign and trades for $17 Million. But again why would the Clippers do this.
lakersin4

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:04 am

therealdeal wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

I agree. I didn't say either scenario was likely, but if I were Paul that's what I would do. He's supposedly the greatest competitor in the sport today. Well then why give 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 years of my life, the prime of my career, to a team that's shown OVER and OVER again that they aren't willing to do what it takes to build a Champion?

Maybe CP3 knows something we don't in regards to the Clips plans. With all the talk of Doc going there, is there any doubt PP is a Clipper the day Boston buys him out? Then who knows, maybe they get KG somehow. Doubt they could pull it off if we take Blake & Bledsoe from them.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:05 am

Combining all kinds of rumors there.

But if Doc Rivers goes to the Clippers and they get an aging Paul Pierce... Does that make them a contender? I don't think so.

Their main problems are inside and I don't think an aging Garnett fixes all of those problems either.

But this is all way off topic. The topic here is Howard to the Clippers: that's not happening unless Howard signs for 3.1 million dollars. End of story.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 am

Doc Brown wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

HE'S MINE TAKE A SEAT PUFFY!!!!!

\__

Damn.. I can't compete with a Doc... Damnit.... is Lebron available?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 am

Here's the Laker pitch for Paul/Howard in the future by the way:

"Hey Dwight stay here. In 2014 we'll go get anyone you want with any assets we can. We can take on someone like Love from Minnesota in a flash because we can take him for a TPE if he demands out. We can get Paul if he demands a trade. We can sign LeBron outright if he opts out. We have ALL the options."

I think that's a good pitch.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:19 am

lakersin4 wrote:I don't think Blake is some great player, but I obviously don't value Dwight as highly as you guys do either. I don't think either guy is going to be our main star in a championship season.. But I think either of them would give us a better shot at attracting that alpha star when we have cap space than not having anyone at all.

I barely value Dwight at all, I still kinda hope he walks, and I STILL don't want Blake for him. Blake is all flash, very little real game, and I think he's soft and easily knocked off his game with physical play.

Dwight > Blake , for defense and rebounding alone.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:20 am

I suggest you familiarize yourself with this Site Rules post:

http://www.clublakers.com/site-rules/rules-for-referring-fan-groups-opposing-view-points-t83987.html
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 am

"There are some things about Dwight's game, when you put the ball in the post, he does turn it over, gets offensive fouls," he continued. "There are some things that are limited but in the process of making him a part of the game, it activates him as a rebounder, shot-blocker and a defender."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-phil-jackson-lakers-dwight-howard-20130614,0,2878776.story?track=rss

Is Phil inferring that Dwight doesn't want to play defense unless he's involved offensively? Where have I heard that before? :man12:
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 am

therealdeal wrote:Here's the Laker pitch for Paul/Howard in the future by the way:

"Hey Dwight stay here. In 2014 we'll go get anyone you want with any assets we can. We can take on someone like Love from Minnesota in a flash because we can take him for a TPE if he demands out. We can get Paul if he demands a trade. We can sign LeBron outright if he opts out. We have ALL the options."

I think that's a good pitch.

^^ I do, too. I think there may need to be a coach discussion involved as well, though. MDA isn't going to lead anyone anywhere and Howard already has beef with him. This isn't an attempt to derail this discussion into a Fire MDA discussion at all which basically has its own thread. Just a note that personnel change isn't the only thing they need to sell to him. He's going to have to buy into the system and I think his dislike for MDA and his system will also be in play in any re-signing pitch. They are going to have to address that this summer no matter what - they either have to have him say he's ok with D' Antoni or if they are willing to capitulate then they need to get someone else that he will sign off on. To just act like he doesn't have any say in the matter or shouldn't have any say in the matter I don't think is going to work out. But, hey, what do I know?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 am

i've been saying since day 1 that amidst all the fawning over houston, atlanta was the biggest threat, imo. IF paul and howard want to play together, atlanta can make that happen far more easily than any other team. and they can do so while retaining horford.

the clippers/lakers trade stuff is garbage, though. don't see either team going for the proposed deal.

anyway, as i said before, the more teams that enter serious consideration, the better la's chances are to keep howard, imo. i'll be much more concerned if he only takes meetings with the lakers and one other team than if he takes meetings with seven teams.
abeer3

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 am

therealdeal wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

^^ I'm with you realdeal. If I were Paul I'd sign with the Paper Clips for two years with a player option on the second. That gets him paid in full with a chance to sign in LA and team up with Dwight the next year. No way in hell I would stick with Sterling and his cheesy ways for longer than that. Even with his injury history there's no reason to stay with an owner you hate longer than need be. 19 million next year is large money. Get paid, but keep your options open. The Paper Clips would have no real choice but to take that deal - he holds the cards because he can just bail and leave them with nothing in return and looking like idiots for chasing off the best player they've ever had. At least they would get one more chance with him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard