Daily Drew: UPDATE 8-28..Kupchak to Atlanta to check on him

Postby Legendary on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:58 pm

This had me worried more than anything that occured today. Drew didn't look confident AT ALL in his return.

Still a lot of swelling, which does not sound good after such an extended period of time.

I think this team should just play under the assumption that Bynum will not return before the playoffs.

With that said, I think Phil knows exactly what type of mind set, and game plan should be in effect from here on out...even without Bynum in the lineup. This is where we see why our head coach gets paid $10 mil a year.

Oh, and sorry if I skipped over some new info or whatever, I haven't read the entire thread yet, I'm just going off what I heard during the game.
Legendary

Postby kevinwiz on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Lakerman91 wrote:
karacha wrote:
Lakerman91 wrote:
L4L wrote:With Gasol as our defensive anchor, I maintain what I said. Dallas is a better team especially now that they've added Jason Kidd. That adds a completely different dimension to their team.

Good call.

Dallas is maybe better than this Laker team that showed up on the court today. But I'm pretty sure we would look better with Radman - and he's coming back on Tuesday. More size, more shooting. It's kinda hard to imagine that Fisher, Sasha, and Radman are all off at the same time. We would simply have more options.

The good call was sarcastic btw. They definitely aren’t better than the Laker team that showed up on the court today. That's why we won. :man12:
a "good call" is your sig
kevinwiz

Postby L4L on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:45 pm

Lakerman91 wrote:
karacha wrote:
Lakerman91 wrote:
L4L wrote:With Gasol as our defensive anchor, I maintain what I said. Dallas is a better team especially now that they've added Jason Kidd. That adds a completely different dimension to their team.

Good call.

Dallas is maybe better than this Laker team that showed up on the court today. But I'm pretty sure we would look better with Radman - and he's coming back on Tuesday. More size, more shooting. It's kinda hard to imagine that Fisher, Sasha, and Radman are all off at the same time. We would simply have more options.

The good call was sarcastic btw. They definitely aren’t better than the Laker team that showed up on the court today. That's why we won. :man12:

I didn't make that comment before today's game if you look at the date, but I'd still stand by what I said until the Lakers beat them in Dallas after they have more than 6 games to gel.

Anyways, I wouldn't be so excited about an overtime game at home that we BARELY won. They have the experience in the playoffs that we sorely lack.

I wouldn't be excited to see them in the playoffs.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby KermitWashington on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:48 pm

For some reason I feel like everyone knew he'd be out for much longer than initially said.
http://www.lowpostnews.com/
Kobe's so good, super teams have to be created to beat him.
KermitWashington

Postby L4L on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:51 pm

KermitWashington wrote:For some reason I feel like everyone knew he'd be out for much longer than initially said.

Deep down most of us saw the injury and thought "Out for season". I certainly hope he at least comes back for the playoffs. Even a semi-healthy Drew can contribute(probably not enough though).
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:06 pm

early April seems like a reasonable time table from now.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LoyalLakerfan44 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:08 pm

GT1 wrote:Wow! I can just imagine when Bynum gets back, teams have trouble with Gasol alone, now add another 7 foot 65% shooter. Damn, he'll be dunking all over the place.

People have to stop being so over confident. When Bynum comes back he's going to be rusty and the Lakers will have to work on getting him going with Gasol. These things take time and there may not be enough time.
Two seven footers is not as easy to coordinate as people think. IN fact the twin tower effect usually does not work and is a nightmare to work around. Phil may have to bring Bynum off the bench and get him playing with the second group, and then slowly work him into the starting lineup.
Everything looks great on paper but we will have to see what the reality will be.
My point is let's not start hanging the championship banner yet.
The Lakers will most likely have to match up at some point against San Antonio. They are an experienced well tuned machine that will not be easy to beat.
LoyalLakerfan44

Postby Shadow on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:47 pm

No Return Date Yet For Bynum

Andrew Bynum began his second week of jogging in a therapeutic pool, although there still wasn't a specific target date for his return.

He hasn't started jogging on a treadmill, the next step in his rehabilitation, making a late March or early April return date more likely.

The Lakers, however, were not concerned with Bynum's overall progress.

"I think it's going well," Lakers spokesman John Black said. "There's the normal amount of pain and swelling that goes with it, but there have been no negative reactions."

Bynum has had three sessions in the pool and will have three or four more over the next week or so. If he feels no pain at that point, he will begin jogging slowly on the treadmill, gradually increasing his speed and distance.

Bynum won't play in time to hit the early side of the team's initial timetable of "at least eight weeks" for him to return. He has missed 22 games since sustaining a deep bone bruise in his left knee and a brief dislocation of the left kneecap in a Jan. 13 game against Memphis.

"If I'm able to run in the pool with no pain, then we'll start building my leg up more and more," he said at the time. "I'm making progress and I'm excited to actually run in the pool, but I'm still not back."

SOURCE:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerrep29feb29,0,544995.storyl

This interview took place Feb.29-2008
I dont know if things has changed..
Shadow

Postby deal on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Like I said a month ago, we should have picked up PJ Brown...Drew & Mhm look like no go's in 2008 play-off's and we are short handed at the PF/C positions...

Still worth a look to see what is out there; cause we have enough fire power at the 1, 2 & 3 ( when Vlad gets back)...
deal

Postby L4L on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:47 pm

This was the worst news of the day for me. We absolutely must have Andrew for the playoffs. People will disagree on the specific teams that we may need him for; however, I think almost everyone agrees that his inside presence is going to necessary to beat the better teams when things get tight.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Legendary wrote:This had me worried more than anything that occured today. Drew didn't look confident AT ALL in his return.

Still a lot of swelling, which does not sound good after such an extended period of time.

I think this team should just play under the assumption that Bynum will not return before the playoffs.

With that said, I think Phil knows exactly what type of mind set, and game plan should be in effect from here on out...even without Bynum in the lineup. This is where we see why our head coach gets paid $10 mil a year.

Oh, and sorry if I skipped over some new info or whatever, I haven't read the entire thread yet, I'm just going off what I heard during the game.

I interpreted his look differently.

I think he's bummed he's not out there with the team. He really wants to play with Pau.

I also think that he's a little scared. He's still a 20 year old kid. This is the first injury he's had to that knee. The injury itself and all the rehab itself can be a little overwhelming.

Swelling is expected and he'll still have swelling for awhile (see page 5).

To get caught up all you need to do is read page 5. The rest is old information.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby MadMax on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:49 pm

Bynum will be there when we need him most.
MadMax

Postby Alleyhoops on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:11 am

Yep, and Andrew will be getting another treatment from the briliant Lakers' team doctors tomorrow...

Alleyhoops

Postby Nak on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 am

I´m really upset about it. First they said only two months, and now is gonna be four? I´m doubtful if he is even going to play in this post-season...

:man5:
OJ MAYO, the next Laker superstar.
Coming soon
Nak

Postby extreme on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:50 am

Nak wrote:I´m really upset about it. First they said only two months, and now is gonna be four? I´m doubtful if he is even going to play in this post-season...

:man5:

I'm concerned about your last sentence too :bang:
extreme
ClubLakers Rep: Belgium

Postby kobe888 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:49 am

I am upset too, cus it seems that our players always return behind schedule A LOT. Last year there were Luke and Lamar and Vlad... Maybe our players just recover slower...
kobe888

Postby WeLoveLA on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:55 am

How can you predict when someone will comeback from a knee injury? Lakers said a MINIMUM of 8 weeks, they haven't lied to anyone.
WeLoveLA

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:33 pm

WeLoveLA wrote:How can you predict when someone will comeback from a knee injury? Lakers said a MINIMUM of 8 weeks, they haven't lied to anyone.

Thank you! Some of these people just want to complain about anything they can. Lakers are a world class organization in one of the major world markets. They have the best sports doctors that $$$ can buy.

Even Gasol said something about it when he first got her and his back was still giving him trouble. Something like he couldnt believe the kind of medical care and support that the Lakers had.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Bynum is out for the season IMO. These injuries take alot of time.
Johnnyboy

Postby Satan on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Barnstable said it best, i think back on page one. A healthy Drew for the next 10-15 years is much more important than a rusty Drew for the playoffs this year. Let him rest, make sure he's 100% before he returns.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby Thenextgreat on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:27 pm

Bynum will be back for the Playoffs...but will be coming off the Bench. Thats what's going to happen.
Thenextgreat

Postby Azn Pinoy on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:33 pm

All he said was that there was still swelling and everyone flips out already...what's up?
Azn Pinoy

Postby JSM on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:57 pm

Satan wrote:Barnstable said it best, i think back on page one. A healthy Drew for the next 10-15 years is much more important than a rusty Drew for the playoffs this year. Let him rest, make sure he's 100% before he returns.

Definitely.

You rush him back now, when we are doing fairly well without him as a #2 seed, and it could do damage long term. That would dim his extremely bright future and weaken our chances at several trips to the finals over the next decade.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Azn Pinoy on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:08 pm

I just don't get how some of you guys are saying that he's completely out for the season just because he said he has swelling left in his knee.
Azn Pinoy

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm

JKsnoots wrote:I guess all signs point till next year.......when Lakers do some serious damage in the league.

This here is the operative word. :jam2: We have a shot this year but our chances improve vastly next season and many to come with AB, Pau, and LO on the frontline not to mention an entire 82 game season with everybody playing alongside one another.
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard