Daily Drew: UPDATE 8-28..Kupchak to Atlanta to check on him

Postby Aceiz2fresh on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:21 am

kobe_luver wrote:GREAT NEWS!!!! Bynum was cleared today to begin basketball practice and begin his summer conditioning workout!!! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Bynum Update

Kupchak said they have gotten "positive reports" on Bynum and that "everything has been really upbeat regarding his rehabilitation" while being cared for by his doctor in New York.

Kupchak said Bynum had therapy in 19 of the past 21 days and finally was cleared Friday to begin conditioning and basketball activity.

Kupchak said Bynum will return to Los Angeles this weekend and that the two will meet Monday before Bynum travels to Atlanta to begin training.

http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/stori ... 437d1.html

Bynum was cleared by his therapist Friday to expand his rehabilitation program to include light work on the court.

"The reports are very positive," Kupchak said. "Everything is upbeat. We expect Andrew to be able to go full steam, full bore by training camp."

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews ... ck_check=1

Kupchak said Bynum has been in New York and underwent physical therapy in 19 of the last 21 days and has been cleared to work out and play.

"He's basically on his own to begin conditioning and basketball activity, starting today," Kupchak said. "It's a process. Based on what he did last year, I would expect him to come in in mid-September basically in great shape. I know that's his goal. He's coming back this weekend, we're going to meet with him Monday. He will go to Atlanta late next week to begin his training for the upcoming season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3496084

:bow:
Aceiz2fresh

Postby doggy dogg on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:24 am

About freaking time
"I wasn't sure I could get up for that dunk...I felt like Luke Walton" - Kobe
doggy dogg

Postby DahaDan on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:26 am

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

HELL YEAH!
DahaDan

Postby LUUUKE on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:37 am

finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby Kobe>Jordan on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:49 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL wow I haven't seen that in a long time. :man10: :man10:
My sports blog http://screenandrollout.blogspot.com/ give it a read.
Kobe>Jordan

Location: giggling at the concept of patriotic and laughing at heroic

Postby nicehair911 on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:33 am

Let's hope he has the same kind of summer he did last summer. Not just conditioning this time either I want to see some more Kareem-esque post moves.
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Postby Pokey on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:21 am

LUUUKE wrote:finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I'm glad I don't get this reference.....not that there's anything wrong with that.
Pokey

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:51 am

Pokey wrote:
LUUUKE wrote:finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I'm glad I don't get this reference.....not that there's anything wrong with that.

:man9: not a wrestling fan I see..

Finallyyyyy, The Drew has comeback to Stapless :man9:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Lakers Advocate on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:32 pm

Finally :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Lakers Advocate

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:18 am

Cue the youtube vid of Bynum grabbing the loose ball off the floor and making a two step drive to the hoop for a monster dunk against the Clippers...
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby davriver290 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:38 am

well this is good news, but until I see Bynum with my own two eyes on television dunking and catching against oppenets hes still injured.

I will never beilieve reports again becuz all they do is give off false information.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby 10scott10 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:24 am

davriver290 wrote:well this is good news, but until I see Bynum with my own two eyes on television dunking and catching against oppenets hes still injured.

I will never beilieve reports again becuz all they do is give off false information.

well then your gonna have to wait till training camp
10scott10

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:20 am

wasnt he cleared to practice before too? Seriously, i dont want to get too excited....like someone else said, I'm going to have to wait until PRESEASON to believe it....just remember that it took amare until the half way point of the season to actually get all his abilities back....but then again, he was coming off microfracture....so hopefully Bynum will be back at fulll strength by October!!!
FabFourLakers

Postby 10scott10 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:24 am

FabFourLakers wrote:wasnt he cleared to practice before too? Seriously, i dont want to get too excited....like someone else said, I'm going to have to wait until PRESEASON to believe it....just remember that it took amare until the half way point of the season to actually get all his abilities back....but then again, he was coming off microfracture....so hopefully Bynum will be back at fulll strength by October!!!

he wasn't cleared for practice before.

he was cleared for 1-on-1 practice.

this time he has received full clearance
10scott10

Postby kobe_luver on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 pm

New Drew article...

Lakers center Andrew Bynum was in Los Angeles earlier this week, working for the Lakers team doctors and was cleared for everything, according to his agent David Lee.

Bynum is now down in Atlanta working out with his personal trainer. The Lakers, Lee said, have a standing invitation to drop in on Bynum down in Atlanta and see his progress.

"He's absolutely fine, he's going to come in as a beast," Lee said. "He's got no atrophy anywhere. The kid's in great shape. Maybe it comes with being 20 years of age."

As for the negotiations on Bynum's contract status, Lee said that the discussions have been tabled until September.

"We aren't going to talk again until September until they have a chance to see what they're getting," Lee said.

"But I don't have any concerns about it." Lee said that once negotiations begin, it was "very important" that the extension be completed by the time the season starts. Lee will be seeking a max (five year, $80 million) extension for his young center. "I know what we want, I know what the rest of the league thinks of Andrew. I just hope the Lakers are on the same page," Lee said.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_9987372
WE ARE 2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

WE ARE 2010 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

WE WILL BE 2013 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!
kobe_luver

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:48 pm

Art Thompson III of the OC Register wrote:Lakers center Andrew Bynum’s current rehabilitation program consists of running, lifting weights and jumping, with no restrictions.

However, Bynum has yet to be cleared for any contact drills, so he is not allowed to play in any pickup basketball games.

Bynum has not been able to play basketball now for more than six months.

Bynum is in Atlanta, where his daily regimen is directed by his personal trainer, Sean Zarzana. There currently is no timetable on when the non-contact restriction on Bynum would be lifted.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said earlier this week that he expects Bynum to be fully healthy by the time training camp opens in October. Bynum is scheduled to return to Los Angeles by the first or second week in September.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby DahaDan on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:50 pm

Gosh, its taking way too long. And the injury used to be thought to take 6 weeks to heal. Damn.
DahaDan

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:56 pm

DahaDan wrote:Gosh, its taking way too long. And the injury used to be thought to take 6 weeks to heal. Damn.

Better safe than sorry I guess. There's no reason to rush him back with camp still a little while off so there's no reason to risk more injury.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby vaylen on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:17 pm

When Drew's agent David Lee says it's critical that his extension be done before the season starts, all I hear is: "we are afraid Bynum might get injured again and we want a max contract before that has a chance to happen."

The max is the max, so the way I see it, the Lakers can take as long as they want to evaluate how effective Bynum is post-injury or if he is going to get re-injured playing this season. Once they are convinced his injury is behind him and there is not going to be a relapse, THEN and ONLY then should the Lakers sign him to a max deal. Teams in the NBA are saving their money for 2010, not 2009, so I doubt the Lakers will see Bynum leave and sign a max deal somewhere else just because they didn't offer to give him an extension until December.

David Lee is an agent, so of course he's trying to get as much as he can as quickly as he can. That doesn't mean the Lakers have to do what he wants. If Drew really is healthy, everyone will get what they want.
vaylen

Postby kobe_luver on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:24 pm

GREAT NEW ARTICLE ABOUT BYNUM'S PROGRESS!! :jam2:

Andrew Bynum is running on the track. He’s hitting the weights. He’s doing basketball drills. More importantly, the young Lakers center shows no signs of any lingering problems from his knee surgery.

Bynum has spent the past month down south, working on his conditioning following surgery in June to repair a partially dislocated left kneecap he suffered Jan. 13. He was cleared to begin drills after a month of rehabilitation, and is expected to be 100 percent for time training camp in October.

“Andrew has dedicated another summer to getting into the best possible shape,” Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. “A month ago he was cleared from the knee surgery he had and at that point he began working on conditioning and getting into shape and I thought he looked like he has made progress.”

Kupchak didn’t rely on second-hand reports. He traveled to Atlanta earlier this week to check on the fourth-year player from New Jersey and said he liked what he saw.

“I could see improvement in his body, his conditioning and mobility,” Kupchak said. “I didn’t see any signs of effects from the surgery.”

Kupchak said he expects Bynum to report to training camp at full strength, considering camp doesn’t start for another month.

“He told me that he is ready to comeback (to L.A.) to start playing full-court drills,” he said. “He sounded eager to play.”

On Bynum’s website, his personal trainer Sean Zarzana wrote that his client has been eager from Day 1 to get back to the court.

According to Zarzana, Bynum, while cradling a basketball, recently told him, “I can’t wait for this season.”

“There is a look in his eyes and a confidence in his workouts that should get all in Lakerland really excited,” Zarzana wrote.

Bynum suffered the knee injury during a game against the Memphis Grizzlies eight months ago when he attempted to grab a rebound and landed awkwardly on Lamar Odom’s left foot. He had been averaging 13.1 points and 10.2 rebounds before his injury.

The Lakers had hoped Bynum would return in time for the first round of the NBA playoffs, but eventually announced he needed arthroscopic surgery to smooth over rough spots and fraying on the underside of his kneecap.

Kupchak’s concern regarding Bynum’s health extends further than having him help the Lakers this season. It’s also a financial concern.

The Lakers recently exercised a fourth-year contract option on Bynum, but his agent, David Lee, is seeking a maximum five-year, $80 million extension. Kupchak had said that he wanted to wait and see how well Bynum was well he would rebound from his surgery before offering an extension.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bynu ... kers-month
WE ARE 2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

WE ARE 2010 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

WE WILL BE 2013 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!
kobe_luver

Postby KB24 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:29 pm

now that the injury is over, I would like to lock this thread because

1. It reminds us of the injury
2. People want to discuss articles seperately and it doesn't work when you have all articles in one thread.

after all

props to the original thread poster that kept us updated through out the injury period. the work is greatly appreciated by the staff. :bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Graveyard