Daily Drew: UPDATE 8-28..Kupchak to Atlanta to check on him

Postby Kobe's Empire on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:26 pm

well if he maxes out to 6 weeks, he'll have a few games where he can stat playing in game action

hopefully he'll take 4 weeks or an early 5 weeks so he can get more action and get used to it more.

the most important thing for andrew will be his endurance and getting into game shape with the combo of his touch....i really would hate if he loses his touch around the basket.

ALSO, with a few games under his belt and IF the lakers are able to win their first round, that will work great for Drew...he'll really be in game shape IIIIFFFF this team gets into the second round.
Kobe's Empire

Postby westcoast21 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:50 pm

Agent Ireland's Article:

LOS ANGELES (AP) ? Here's the latest on Bynum:

He ran in a swimming pool earlier this week, which is encouraging.

But what is really important is how much that knee swells now. That could determine if and when he can come back.

By the way, I keep hearing and reading these reports that Bynum is "behind schedule" in his recovery and "could miss the rest of this year." Anybody saying that is just making it up.

The truth is that it's too early to tell what his timeline is.

I've talked to two different doctors about Bynum and they both agree about one thing: the original projection of "at least eight weeks" is still accurate.

They told me that with an injury like this, the most important thing to do is rest it for at least a month, which Bynum has done.

Now, over the next month, he'll test the knee to see how it holds up.

If it swells a lot, it's an indicator that he needs more time.

When I asked if it's unusual for a knee like that to swell after five weeks of rest, I was told, "no, it would be unusual if it didn't swell."

So for anybody to suggest that his recovery is behind schedule is just speculating.

Could he miss the season? Sure, but so could anybody else.

His original return time was projected as mid-March.

If he's not back by April, he's behind schedule...but not until then.

Plus, what's the hurry? The Lakers have won nine of their last ten games (eight of those wins coming on the road) and are in first place in their division. Gasol is playing center, and he's been fantastic.

The Lakers probably need Bynum to compete for a title this year, but not at the expense of hurting that knee long-term.

I say let him sit until he's totally ready, and until then, go to battle with the team that looked so good on Wednesday.
(© 2008 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
westcoast21

Postby Radner on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:57 pm

I think his return date is sheer speculation. I don't even think Bynum knows when he'll return. :man5:
Radner

Postby KGB on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:03 am

Even if he gets back in april, it's not like our championship posibillities are completely out the window. You guys act like we are gonna just give up. We still have as good a chance to win as anyone.
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby ADT on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:34 am

Link

Bynum Still Doesn't Have Timetable For Return
February 26, 2008 - 12:07 pm
Press-Enterprise -

There still is no timetable for Andrew Bynum's return, but he could return later in March.

"There's no pressure on me to come back," Bynum told the Press Enterprise. "I definitely want to get back 100 percent. That's what I plan to do, however long it takes. I still that I could make the eight-week deadline, but I'm not going to force it."
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

Formally known as: KobeOdom24/7

I Bleed Purple & Gold!!

Ship His A$$ out!
-Kobe Bryant on Andrew Bynum

ADT

Postby Questionmark on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:44 am

Exactly what I was thinking. Since the Lakers are playing so well right now, there is no rush for him to come back. He should wait until he's 100%, even if it means that he's not gonna be integrated into the offense fully by the playoffs. I'd rather have a 100% Bynum going into the playoffs than a 95% Bynum who may have to take a game off or two during the playoffs because the swelling comes back and/or his strength/conditioning isn't fully there yet.
Questionmark

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:48 am

4-6 weeks would mean April…we have 8 games to end the season in that month and its still realistic to see him playing those and getting in some type of shape for the post-season
pound4pound1

Postby West on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:49 am

I get the feeling that Drew coming back will be like the Pau trade. One day we'll put on the game and everyone will be talking about Drew in the lineup.
Thread Killer...
West

Postby strikemode14 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:50 am

Pretty much not that surprised he isn't coming back to almost playoff time. Simply put 0 reason for him to rush. We are 1st seed in the West. The lakers are looking unstoppable. We just need him to come back maybe the last 2-3 games of the season to get back in shape.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby tbs on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:02 am

It could be worse.

Bynum could have said, "I got injured on company time; I'm going to milk my recovery on company time."
tbs

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:06 am

if he were to return within the original 8 weeks, when would that be?
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby bnr034 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:08 am

strikemode14 wrote:Pretty much not that surprised he isn't coming back to almost playoff time. Simply put 0 reason for him to rush. We are 1st seed in the West. The lakers are looking unstoppable. We just need him to come back maybe the last 2-3 games of the season to get back in shape.

I think it will take more games since he has being sittin at home for 4 weeks to get the swelling out of his knees
bnr034

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:15 am

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:if he were to return within the original 8 weeks, when would that be?

March 10th.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby daco_inc on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 am

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:
GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:if he were to return within the original 8 weeks, when would that be?

March 10th.

It would be great if he could return by then. That's right before a 4-game roadtrip against "top 8" teams.
"The Doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity"-John Adams
"I've examined all the known superstitions of the world and I don't find
in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They're all alike founded on fables and mythology"-Thomas Jefferson
"There's one notable thing about our Christianity: bad, bloody, merciless, money-grabbing, and predatory"-Mark Twain
daco_inc

Postby lilkhmerkid4u on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 am

um yeah...its gonna take more than 2-3 games to get him in shape..
lilkhmerkid4u

Postby UKUGA on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:35 am

I'll say it for the umpteenth time

during the Lakers-Pistons game, on the Pistons telecast, the announcer quoted Jim Cleamons as saying the Lakers HOPED to have Bynum back by April 1, with an emphasis on hope, and indication that that was best case scenario.
"The Lakers need more fans like you!"
- Gary Vitti, to me, in a Cleveland restaurant
UKUGA

Postby stylerip on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:55 am

Bynum needs to come back next week. I hate beating teams by less than 30.
"People think that everyone pisses their pants when they realize Bynum is coming to town its after the game when they piss their pants." - KB+KG=DOMINATION
stylerip

Postby JSM on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:55 pm

lilkhmerkid4u wrote:um yeah...its gonna take more than 2-3 games to get him in shape..

I'm sure the second he's ready to come back Kobe will be more than happy to help get him back in shape.

Hell, let him play with the 2nd unit in practice a bit. Have Phil tell Farmar to push the ball, that'll help Drew along.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby sleepin4matty on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:17 pm

JSM wrote:
lilkhmerkid4u wrote:um yeah...its gonna take more than 2-3 games to get him in shape..

I'm sure the second he's ready to come back Kobe will be more than happy to help get him back in shape.

Hell, let him play with the 2nd unit in practice a bit. Have Phil tell Farmar to push the ball, that'll help Drew along.

I'm not sure his conditioning will be as big an issue everyone thinks it will be. He is running in a pool now and has been running on elipticals. Nothing helps like playing in the game but it isn't like he's old and can only play 3-5 minutes at a time (see: Shaq). He should be fully ready to play when he comes back unlike other players that come back entirely too early (LO, Kwame, Luke).
sleepin4matty

Postby DNP on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:19 pm

for being young and all, he sure does takes a lot of time to recover from an injury! did he get a surgery or something? LOL
DNP

Postby MadMax on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:53 pm

DNP wrote:for being young and all, he sure does takes a lot of time to recover from an injury! did he get a surgery or something? LOL

A) He plays a highly competitive sport for a highly competitive team that needs

him to be 100% if they want to win a title.

B) With the addition of Gasol, there is no need to inject Bynum back in the line-

up untill he is ready.

C) No surgery, but dislocating your knee hurts, and i'd rather him take all the

time he needs to stregethen his body up again.
MadMax

Postby Psychobroker on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:00 pm

MadMax wrote:
DNP wrote:for being young and all, he sure does takes a lot of time to recover from an injury! did he get a surgery or something? LOL

A) He plays a highly competitive sport for a highly competitive team that needs

him to be 100% if they want to win a title.

B) With the addition of Gasol, there is no need to inject Bynum back in the line-

up untill he is ready.

C) No surgery, but dislocating your knee hurts, and i'd rather him take all the

time he needs to strengthen his body up again.

More than the dislocation, it was the bone bruise he suffered that caused most of the pain and takes a while to heal. He's also got to strengthen the muscles around his knee to prevent future recurrences, so yeah, he needs the time!
Psychobroker

Postby Darth Bynumite on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:27 pm

It's been said many times, let's not force Bynum back. We're winning games at the moment, there's no need to force Bynum back and risk further injury which would damage the rest of his career and leave him out of the playoffs. Let him take it easy and have him back a few games before the playoffs, this way he can gain game fitness before the playoffs.
Darth Bynumite

Postby weakbomb on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:47 pm

Last news is Andrew Bynums last position is uncertain. When will he return is unknown.
weakbomb

Postby DarthRekal on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Mar. 30... cause im going to THAT game :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard