Derek Fisher is NOT a PG.

Derek Fisher is NOT a PG.

Postby revgen on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Golden State figured this out in 2004. They signed him as a starter, but they eventually made him a bench player. He's now 7 years older than he was then.

Start Blake.
Bring Morris off the bench.

End of discussion.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Re: Derek Fisher is NOT a PG.

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:34 pm

I think 100% of Laker fans know and feel this way. Why the coaching staff doesn't? Who knows.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Thank you.

Thanks for all the years Fish, but this is 2011-2012 not 2000. Blake and Morris are both better at playing the PG position and need to get most if not all of the minutes between the two.

Still don't get why Morris was on the inactive list.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Agreed, but he's not a SG either, at least on the NBA level. So where does that leave us?
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Even at the backup 2 off the bench, I think will give more PT to rookie Goudelock than Fisher lol, tonight his shooting stroke looks good :man9:
Last edited by noobiew on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Doberman on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Fisher pt:

1st half: 15 min
2nd half: 8 min

Brown has figured this out pretty quickly and he seems willing to give players the yank on a moments notice. I'm hoping this game is the beginning of Fisher getting phased out.
Doberman

Postby lakers_09tv on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Fisher is garbage. Artest and Fisher should stay glued to the bench. I wonder if Mike Brown has the guts to do it.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby flea_lakers on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:45 pm

flea_lakers

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Goudelock needs minutes at the 2, I like what he brings to the table, better than advertised D with a killer stroke from the outside is gold coming off the bench. Fish needs to play 5 minutes a game at most. I don't want him taking minutes away from Blake, Morris, Goudelock.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kray28 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:01 pm

I was happy with Glock...he needs to keep his stint. The best thing I can propose for Fish is a short ceremonial starting stint, and he gets yanked at the first stoppage of play in the first quarter. Bring him in for spot minutes here and there to give Blake a breather.

Fish should be getting 10 minutes a game, not freaking 23.
kray28

Postby The Rock on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:02 pm

I think Brown is giving him a chance before giving him the hook. If he's ineffective he'll be buried in the bench.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doberman on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:19 pm

The Rock wrote:I think Brown is giving him a chance before giving him the hook. If he's ineffective he'll be buried in the bench.

kray28 wrote:I was happy with Glock...he needs to keep his stint. The best thing I can propose for Fish is a short ceremonial starting stint, and he gets yanked at the first stoppage of play in the first quarter. Bring him in for spot minutes here and there to give Blake a breather.

Fish should be getting 10 minutes a game, not freaking 23.

I agree with both of these points. Fish is still the captain so I think Brown wants to give him a "fair chance" to keep his spot by playing well, which of course is unlikely. He can perhaps spare Fish's ego by starting him, playing him for 3-4 min, then bring in Blake and Morris to play 40 mpg.
Doberman

Postby karacha on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:36 pm

I really respect Fish for his leadership, his work ethics and everything he's done for this team. I really do. With that said -- the guy can't play anymore. He is officially done. If there were any doubts about that last year, they are now gone.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby magicman32 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:19 pm

When he drove against rose and flopped (on offense) then turned the ball over and fell down, I threw up in my mouth RETIRE FISH!!!!!!
magicman32

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:27 pm

derek fisher is not a pg.

also, water is wet.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby gcclaker on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Those two fast breaks where he had the rock were horrific. Fisher missed the finger roll badly on one but was tipped in by Gasol then on the other he tried to do too much in drawing the foul totally bungling the possession.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Larry14r on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:34 pm

magicman32 wrote:When he drove against rose and flopped (on offense) then turned the ball over and fell down, I threw up in my mouth RETIRE FISH!!!!!!

The problem is Fish doesn't want to.
Larry14r

Postby shush on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:44 pm

I've been saying Fisher has been done for a while now. Lakers shouldn't have even resigned him.
yes it's true. i don't like d-fish
shush

Postby kray28 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:53 pm

The thing about it...(in fairness to Fish tonight), I thought he was pretty active on defense, and even made a couple of heads up defensive plays. But he immediately took the opportunity to play hero on the fast break at the other end.

What he needed to do was run the offense at the half court....and if it was that important to try to score in transition, at least let your guys fill the lane for you. But then...you see, Fish would actually have to know how to run a break to begin with. The point in transition is use your numbers advantage in your favor....you pass when the defender commits.

With Fish, it's like watching a moth heading toward a flame....the attraction is irresistible, and the outcome is predictable.
kray28

Postby dmaul on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:16 pm

One of the good things about this Mike Brown era is of course the complete change in regime. Old committments are no longer honored. Phil may have stuck with some of these players (e.g. Fisher) out of loyalty and because he has delivered for him so many times in the past. And I'm not sure how much time Ebanks and Goudelock would've played today if Phil was coaching. It's nice to see that Brown is giving guys a chance and hopefully the guys that suck will sit.
dmaul

Postby Sirron on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:32 pm

He can be serviceable depending on matchups. This was not a good matchup for him. Of course, who is against the MVP? Especially at 37 and admittedly out of basketball shape? He'll have some decent moments, but it's obvious minutes will begin to shift.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby Weezy on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:37 pm

He's really not, he turns the ball over a LOT. And despite loyalty, despite everything a player has done for a franchise, or having had a great career and being shown respect or given a spot because of it, eventually things have to change. Eventually, you have to say ok, you WERE a starting PG for championship teams, yes you were super clutch and have rings and such, but that time is over, it's time to move on, time has caught up.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:17 am

He never has been. At least not really a starting caliber one. I love the guy, but he's always been best IMO as a backup SG. He can't pass to the post and never has been able to, dating back to when Shaq was on our team. That's been an issue for us with 2 7 footers in the starting lineup.

With that said, it was pretty amazing that Fish was able to rejoin our team and actually lead us all the way even when he's not a PG. But those days are long gone. He was worn out last year and this year he looks even worse. Blake should start and Fish should come off the bench.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby ragesince1516 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I love that Fisher is always like "go get the ball inbound because i'm the point guard" to his team mates.

:man10:
As good as anybody, much much better than most.
ragesince1516

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:12 pm

PG minutes: Blake 28, Morris 15, Fisher 5
SG minutes: Kobe 32, Glock 12, Fisher 4
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Next

Return to The Graveyard