Deron Williams Trade Discussion (Resigning w/Brooklyn)

Re: Deron Williams

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Mon May 28, 2012 10:10 am

JUST-MING wrote:Deron can play/defend both point or shooting guard. He played next to Rose, Wade and James (each ball-dominant) during the All-Star game and was spectacular. That’s part of what makes him better than Paul. Paul can’t play off the ball. Deron can play off the ball, and has a impact (as a lethal 3-point threat).


This.

Make it happen, Mitch! :jam2:
Image
User avatar
Mr_Hollywood_Line

 
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 10:07 pm
Location: The Low Post

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon May 28, 2012 10:21 am

Someone in this thread is trying to convince himself that Josh Smith is a superstar.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

 
Posts: 12220
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby The Rock on Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Someone in this thread is trying to convince himself that Josh Smith is a superstar.


Theres only a half a dozen legit superstars in the league. Smith clearly isn't. He is however a great complimentary player.
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon May 28, 2012 10:33 am

The Rock wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:Someone in this thread is trying to convince himself that Josh Smith is a superstar.


Theres only a half a dozen legit superstars in the league. Smith clearly isn't. He is however a great complimentary player.


I hear he's a nice guy. :man1:

Top 15 though? Come on now.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

 
Posts: 12220
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby The Rock on Mon May 28, 2012 10:39 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
The Rock wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:Someone in this thread is trying to convince himself that Josh Smith is a superstar.


Theres only a half a dozen legit superstars in the league. Smith clearly isn't. He is however a great complimentary player.


I hear he's a nice guy. :man1:

Top 15 though? Come on now.


In no order

Kobe, Bynum, Wade, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, CP3, Deron, Rondo, Love, Howard, Aldridge, Melo, Dirk

those are the 14 players I think that are better than Smith right now. I would put Rose in there but he's hurt and wont return till next Jan I believe, so Smith is in the top 15. I think Dirk is declining so Smith may move up a spot next year and keep moving up. I dont see him becoming a superstar but he'll be hanging around the 10-15 range
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon May 28, 2012 10:46 am

The Rock wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:
The Rock wrote:Theres only a half a dozen legit superstars in the league. Smith clearly isn't. He is however a great complimentary player.


I hear he's a nice guy. :man1:

Top 15 though? Come on now.


In no order

Kobe, Bynum, Wade, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, CP3, Deron, Rondo, Love, Howard, Aldridge, Melo, Dirk

those are the 14 players I think that are better than Smith right now. I would put Rose in there but he's hurt and wont return till next Jan I believe, so Smith is in the top 15. I think Dirk is declining so Smith may move up a spot next year and keep moving up. I dont see him becoming a superstar but he'll be hanging around the 10-15 range


So aside from the fact that you think Smith is better than his own teammate Al Horford, you also think he's better than (in no particular order) Bosh, M. Gasol, Hibbert, Parker, Duncan, Ginobili, Harden, Garnett, Pierce, Iguodala, Deng and Kyrie?
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

 
Posts: 12220
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby The Rock on Mon May 28, 2012 10:51 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:So aside from the fact that you think Smith is better than his own teammate Al Horford, you also think he's better than (in no particular order) Bosh, M. Gasol, Hibbert, Parker, Duncan, Ginobili, Harden, Garnett, Pierce, Iguodala, Deng and Kyrie?


I think he had a better season in 2011/2012 than most of those guys you mentioned (Jefferson and Parker one could make a case) and i think I'll take him over all the guys you mentioned for next year.

Kyrie has superstar potential but he's 2-3 years away from being that.
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon May 28, 2012 11:13 am

The Rock wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:So aside from the fact that you think Smith is better than his own teammate Al Horford, you also think he's better than (in no particular order) Bosh, M. Gasol, Hibbert, Parker, Duncan, Ginobili, Harden, Garnett, Pierce, Iguodala, Deng and Kyrie?


I think he had a better season in 2011/2012 than most of those guys you mentioned (Jefferson and Parker one could make a case) and i think I'll take him over all the guys you mentioned for next year.

Kyrie has superstar potential but he's 2-3 years away from being that.


Which ones? Are you telling me that if we could have had any one of those names this season you'd have taken Smith over all of them? I sincerely doubt that.

BTW I never mentioned either of the Jefferson boys (Al or Richard) , because IMO Smith is better than bofe of um.

As for Kyrie, you say he's 2-3 years away but if he were on the same contract as Smith and both were offered to us for Gasol, would you really take Smoove over Irving?
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

 
Posts: 12220
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby JGC on Mon May 28, 2012 11:29 am

The Rock wrote:
JGC wrote:
The Rock wrote:Brooklyn is moving to a new city and a new arena. Would they rather have

1) No Deron Williams and all cap space
2) Josh Smith

Im pretty sure they're willing to trade Deron and get some value out of it. When you build a new arena you need butts in seats, having capspace wont put butts in seats. Josh Smith is one of the most exciting players in the league and has been a borderline All star each of the last 3 years. HEs worth the $13 mil.

I didn't say those are the only pieces to the trade but that would be the core of the deal


Ok, I see you're trying to sell folks on why NJ would want Smith by overstating his value to a franchise. The reality is, he doesn't ACTUALLY put butts in seats. No one buys his jersey. Hawks are among the league's worst in attendance (23 out of 30). If you factor in wins (since a winning team should attract more fans), the Hawks are behind only the Pacers in worst average attendance per game won. I've never seen a Josh Smith commercial, and he can't even get people to come watch him despite the fact they had a good season (40 wins = 50 wins in an 82 game season). He has almost ZERO appeal outside of Atlanta marketability wise and even within Atlanta itself it's limited.

You can't just say a guy puts butts in seats just because you want your mega 3-way deal to work cmon! haha.


Chris Paul says hi. Great player, MVP type player and one of the exciting players in the league and yet Hornets were always in the bottom of the league in attendance. How do you explain their attendance problems? NOLA is a football town just like Atlanta. Some cities are just unfit to draw NBA crowds

Smith can jumpstart the Nets franchise in Brooklyn, they havent made the playoffs since the 2007 season. After Al Horford was out most of the year, he and Joe johnson were the top two guys to help ATL get a top 4 record in the East with Jeff Teague and a bunch a scrubs around them.


Ok, with your logic I could pick ANY player argue he can put butts in seats because even CP3 couldn't in New Orleans? Hahahaha.

Ok listen I am going to throw you a bone on this one. One of the best measures is to look at is ROAD attendance ranks. That eliminates the 'city' issue you brought up.

Hornets ROAD attendance PCT:
2012: 23rd (Year CP3 leaves)
2011: 15th
2010: 13th
2009: 9th
2008: 14th
2007: 14th
2006: 30th (CP3's rookie year)

Hawks ROAD attendance PCT:
2012: 20th (Year he and Joe johnson were the top two guys to help ATL get a top 4 record in the East with Jeff Teague and a bunch a scrubs around them.)
2011: 22nd
2010: 16th
2009: 18th
2008: 29th
2007: 30th
2006: 29th
2005: 30th (Smith's rookie year and year he won the slam dunk contest)

The only way you'll convince anybody that Josh Smith can put butts in seats is if you want to try to argue that he has mass appeal in the city of Brooklyn and the city of Brooklyn ONLY. Because apparently, he doesn't have any appeal whatsoever in any NBA city including Atlanta which is the one he's played in his entire 8 year career.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby Kubbas on Mon May 28, 2012 11:38 am

[youtube]http://youtu.be/J8cHg2SiU5w[/youtube]
Last edited by Kubbas on Mon May 28, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image

Alvin Gentry wrote:"Was that Kobe or was that Michael?"
"We played the best player in basketball. I don't think its even close."
User avatar
Kubbas

 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon May 28, 2012 11:42 am

Smith might not even be a top 30 guy, let alone top 15!
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
Image
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
User avatar
Lakeshow24

 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby Rooscooter on Mon May 28, 2012 12:11 pm

The Rock wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:I think Smith is a classic "athlete" that can play Basketball guy.... he's capable of the occasional WOW plays yet most of the time you get the WTF plays or just no play at all from him..... So far he's a wasted talent IMO...

If Pau's going out we need volume not another 3rd banana that's high paid and prevents us from getting any other help. Our top 3 players were not the problem this year..... interchanging they with other nearly equal parts isn't going to help us get back to the top.... we need a couple players that can contribute in areas we are weak in at the very least for Pau....


Right Josh Smith's 19/10, 70 blocks, 70 steals /70 blocks(which only 1 other guy in the league has) is a waste of talent and Chris Paul is not a great player :man10:


What?... not going to call me an idiot today....... :man10:

Never said Paul wasn't a "great player"...... said he wasn't the top PG IMO..... different things. I'd take Parker over him along with Rose and D-Will and maybe even Rondo for OUR team.

Smith is a player that doesn't make us any better IMO... we don't push the ball (where he gets most of his points) and we run isolation and post offense most of the time.... he doesn't do well in either.

Neither has led their teams anywhere in the post season either.

Stats don't mean anything if they don't result in success.... He's a great fantasy player...... so what?

What we need is to get better at more than one position... If Pau is traded we don't need a "swap" of underachieving players..... Pau wasn't the reason we lost.... our supporting cast, on most other top teams, wouldn't see the floor on most nights....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22918
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby Murdock on Mon May 28, 2012 1:19 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:Deron creating an open look for Kobe

Kobe with the shot fake and jabsteps , waiting for his defender to recover and then take a tough fadeaway

Deron : "Wtf"


that's the problem we will have with any true PG ... But we need him badly
User avatar
Murdock

 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:33 am

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby LakeShow85 on Mon May 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Hypothetically speaking if we had DWill, what would be a better piece to pair him with Iggy or Beasley?
If it doesn't matter who wins then why do they keep score?
Is it possible to have 2 G.O.A.T.'s
Image
User avatar
LakeShow85

 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 am

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby thkthebest on Mon May 28, 2012 4:56 pm

LakeShow85 wrote:Hypothetically speaking if we had DWill, what would be a better piece to pair him with Iggy or Beasley?

Iggy... There is almost nothing Beasley can do better than Iggy. You would only choose Beasley if you want a young player because you're rebuilding and banking on potential.
My signature
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3949
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby Helljumper on Mon May 28, 2012 5:12 pm

thkthebest wrote:
LakeShow85 wrote:Hypothetically speaking if we had DWill, what would be a better piece to pair him with Iggy or Beasley?

Iggy... There is almost nothing Beasley can do better than Iggy. You would only choose Beasley if you want a young player because you're rebuilding and banking on potential.


Beasley is a much better scorer than Iggy.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14868
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby Rooscooter on Mon May 28, 2012 5:17 pm

thkthebest wrote:
LakeShow85 wrote:Hypothetically speaking if we had DWill, what would be a better piece to pair him with Iggy or Beasley?

Iggy... There is almost nothing Beasley can do better than Iggy. You would only choose Beasley if you want a young player because you're rebuilding and banking on potential.


I mostly agree.... The difference I see is that Iggy is a SG/SF.... where Beasley is more of a SF/PF... Beasley is 6'-10". Beasley may be a bit better without the ball where Iggy is pretty much at his best when he has the ball.... paring that with a ball dominant guard might limit some of his game.....

It would depend on which position we were weakest at for me..... If MWP is gone then Iggy would be the best fit... If he were still here and Pau gone then Beasley might fit better.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22918
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby LakeShow85 on Mon May 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Like you said, I think it depends on what we were weakest at, personally I'd take Iggy over beasley for his overall game, he can defend, pass and rebound better.
If it doesn't matter who wins then why do they keep score?
Is it possible to have 2 G.O.A.T.'s
Image
User avatar
LakeShow85

 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 am

Re: Rajon Rondo

Postby JUST-MING on Tue May 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Rooscooter wrote:Never said Paul wasn’t a “great player”, but Paul wasn't the top PG; different things. I’d take Tony Parker over Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, and maybe even Rajon Rondo for our team.



Rajon Rondo carried the Celtics down the stretch versus Philadelphia in game seven, had with 18 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds and three steals--just the second game seven triple double in the storied history of the Celtics franchise (Larry Bird had 39 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists versus New York in 1984). Rondo now has nine career playoff triple doubles, tying him with Wilt Chamberlain for fourth on the NBA’s all-time list (Magic Johnson leads the way with 30, followed by Jason Kidd’s 11 and Bird’s 10).
User avatar
JUST-MING

 
Posts: 1435
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby Rooscooter on Tue May 29, 2012 1:50 pm

^^Rondo always seems to elevate his game in the playoffs... fairly rare these days....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22918
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby jamabile on Tue May 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Ideally, I would like both Beasley and Iggy. Unfortunately, we probably only get one. With that said, Beasley can start and has in the past and done pretty well scoring the ball. The problem in lies would he be able to play good defense against Kevin Durant. We all know Iggy can play defense.

We need to upgrade that small forward position drastically. That should be a main piece we fill in the offseason. Even if we got a PF that can score, rebound, play defense, and was limited offensively, I would take it as long as we got a good SF. We need depth badly, though. Our bench is anemic.
jamabile

 

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby jjin28 on Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 am

Anyone hear about this rumor. Heard it from a coworker.

Supposedly, if the nets dont get a top 3 pick, they might make this trade...

Nets Out
Derron Williams, Brooks, 1st round pick (If its not a top 3 pick)
Nets In
Tyreke Evans, Andrew Bynum, MWP, Francisco Garcia

Kings Out
Tyreke Evans, Demarcus Cousins
Kings In
Brook Lopez and Nets 1st round pick

Lakers Out
Bynum, MWP
Lakers In
Deron Williams, Demarcus Cousins
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
User avatar
jjin28

 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby khmrP on Wed May 30, 2012 10:27 am

jjin28 wrote:Anyone hear about this rumor. Heard it from a coworker.

Supposedly, if the nets dont get a top 3 pick, they might make this trade...

Nets Out
Derron Williams, Brooks, 1st round pick (If its not a top 3 pick)
Nets In
Tyreke Evans, Andrew Bynum, MWP, Francisco Garcia

Kings Out
Tyreke Evans, Demarcus Cousins
Kings In
Brook Lopez and Nets 1st round pick

Lakers Out
Bynum, MWP
Lakers In
Deron Williams, Demarcus Cousins


DAM, does Mitch have dirty pictures of Maloof and Proky?
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 30, 2012 10:36 am

Kings get the very, very short end of the stick there don't they?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40320
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Deron To The Lakers?

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed May 30, 2012 10:39 am

demarcus cousins? do not want.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.