Gary Payton and Karl Malone redeaux..?

Gary Payton and Karl Malone redeaux..?

Postby flexxdzl on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 pm

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., July 16 -- The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent guard Gary Payton and free agent forward Karl Malone to contracts, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy terms of the contracts were not released.
“In evaluating our team at the end of last season, we said we needed help in the front court and in the back court,” said Kupchak. “With Gary Payton, we’ve added one of the best guards in the league over the past decade and with Karl Malone, we’ve added probably the greatest power forward in the history of the NBA, so we think these signings make us a significantly better team.”

Payton, who finished last season ranked second in the NBA in assists (8.3), averaged 20.4 points and 4.2 rebounds last season with the Seattle Supersonics and the Milwaukee Bucks.

During his thirteen-year career, Payton has been named to the NBA All-Defensive Team eight consecutive seasons (1994-2001), named to the All-NBA team seven times (First team 1998, 2000; Second Team in 1995,1996,1997, 1999 and Third Team 2001), selected to the NBA All-Star Team seven straight seasons (1994-98, 2000-01), and was named Defensive Player of the Year in 1996, becoming the first guard to win the award since Michael Jordan in 1987-88.

The 6-4 guard was drafted by the Seattle Supersonics with the second overall pick in 1990 and was a member of the gold medal-winning 1996 and 2000 U.S. Men's Olympic Teams.

Malone, who ranks second all-time in the NBA in points scored (36,374), averaged 20.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 4.7 assists last season with the Utah Jazz. The 6’9” forward, a two-time NBA MVP and fourteen-time NBA All-Star selection, has career averages of 25.4 points, 10.2 rebounds and 3.5 assists. The 18-year veteran who was selected in 1996 as one of the “50 Greatest Players in NBA History,” has been named to the All-NBA team fourteen times and ranks second all-time in field goals made (13,335) and in minutes played (53,479) trailing only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who holds both records. Malone also ranks seventh all-time in rebounds with 14,601.

Malone was the thirteenth overall pick in the 1985 NBA draft (Utah Jazz). He was a member of the “Dream Team” that won the gold medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona and the 1996 Dream Team that won gold in Atlanta.

Thoughts?
flexxdzl

Re: Gary Payton and Karl Malone redeaux..?

Postby John3:16 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:16 pm

If Malone didn't get hurt.......

:man6:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Dratini927 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

About 8 years late... :man3:

But man, what could have been...
Matt the Drat

Dratini927

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Ask yourself this:

Was GP the best passer in the game? Was he the best pure shooter? Answers: No.

Was Malone the best big in the game in his prime? Answer: No, he was in his like 16218th season.

Star power is star power, but you have to look at factors.
Last edited by Kobe Bryant 8 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Aonex on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Karl Malone had come out of retirement to play for the Lakers he was 76 years old. Karl Malone was always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Charles Barkley came in here and sat in this chair. I said Chuck 'you hang out with Karl Malone, just between me and you, how old is Karl Malone?' You know what Chuck told me, he said "Hey, Karl Malone is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby John3:16 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Aonex wrote:Karl Malone had come out of retirement to play for the Lakers he was 76 years old. Karl Malone was always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Charles Barkley came in here and sat in this chair. I said Chuck 'you hang out with Karl Malone, just between me and you, how old is Karl Malone?' You know what Chuck told me, he said "Hey, Karl Malone is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!

:man10: :man10: :man10: Coming to America is one of the greatest movies of all time.
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm

John3:16 wrote:
Aonex wrote:Karl Malone had come out of retirement to play for the Lakers he was 76 years old. Karl Malone was always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Charles Barkley came in here and sat in this chair. I said Chuck 'you hang out with Karl Malone, just between me and you, how old is Karl Malone?' You know what Chuck told me, he said "Hey, Karl Malone is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!

:man10: :man10: :man10: Coming to America is one of the greatest movies of all time.

:man10: :man10: :man10: Well done sir :bow:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby OX1947 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Oh man, you never met no Charles Barkley.
OX1947

Postby John3:16 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 pm

CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 pm

As for the topic, I think it's much different than 2003. Payton and Malone were essentially brought in to defensive mercenaries at the time. PG's were still burning us back then and Payton was seen as the solution for that. Payton & Kobe bailed us out mid-season when Shaq and Malone were injured.... but I don't think Payton ever fit well into the triangle, nor did we run it that consistently during that season (someone feel free to correct my on this).

Malone actually could have fit nicely in the tri since he was still mobile & had a killer midrange jumper, but his injury never let him develop chemistry in the tri, let alone with an out-of-shape Shaq.

By the time the playoffs rolled around the big 4 didn't have much chemistry and Payton was a space cadet by then. We almost got eliminated by a Sam Cassell-less Minny when he was lit up by Troy Hudson :bang:

2012-13's roster is much more of a complete starting 5 than 2004's, especially considering the fact that we're no longer running the triangle.

Not to mention, this guy was starting for us in 2003-4:
:bang:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Helljumper on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 pm

I think this line of thinking is why we're going to take the league by storm. So many people are hesitant to crown us as pre-season favorites because of superteams that have failed in the past. But the failure of the GP/Malone experiment and Miami's inability to get it done in their first year has nothing to do with our current team. I know we haven't played a game yet and we're only talking about things on paper here, but we don't have the same obvious flaws those teams had. All of our players seem to fit well together and from everything we've heard, they're all willing to sacrifice their individual games a bit to fit in the right role. We also have a great mix of different personalities/experience levels and *knocks on wood* our roster is full of players who have historically been able to stay healthy.

Obviously nothing's guaranteed, but I really think that on paper, we're head and shoulders above any other team in the league and what happened 8 years ago isn't going to change that.
Helljumper

Postby 432J on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm

payton sucked in the triangle, malone was great that season but unfortunately got hurt which cost LA the title

this is a totally different team though. plus it's a completely different offense being run and the bench is better
432J

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Despite all the "flaws" that 2004 team had, we still ended up in the Finals that year, and had MALONE played in those 3 games out in Detroit, the Lakers would have been champions that year. I fully believe that had we been healthy, we would have been hoisting that trophy in 2004. Fact is this: That Laker team was lacked depth. Once Malone went down, guess who became our starting 4? SLAVA MEDVEDENKO. That was the series right there. Rasheed Wallace ATE HIM UP. And I don't get the Payton hate. He was the ONLY one out of our "fabfour" that played ALL 82 games, and at one point it was him and a bunch of c-list players playing on the road while Kobe, Shaq AND Malone nursed injuries. Payton and Malone also helped us beat the SPURS, whom we lost to the previous year...and he did a GREAT job on Parker defensively and made him work, as Malone also did the same against Duncan.

Up and down, that team was flawed yet still made it to the finals and were a Malone knee away from winning it all. This current team, while they don't boast a PRIME Kobe and PRIME Shaq...is much more balanced, and MUCH deeper than the 2004 team. I do believe if this team stays HEALTHY, they will win it all.
FabFourLakers

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:46 pm

What is this thread about?

Is it a rehash of 2004, or are you comparing that team to this one? I'm going to assume it's a comparison. There is already an open thread on that comparison here:

http://www.clublakers.com/lakers-discussion/almost-years-lakers-return-2003-2004-scenario-t135398.html
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Return to The Graveyard