Gasol trade rumors: (ESPN: Gasol unlikely to be traded p.50)

Re: Gasol trade rumors: (ESPN: Gasol unlikely to be traded p.50)

Postby kray28 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 am

BTW: I don't think any trades are going to happen for us. Basically Dwight singlehandedly killed the trade market with his nonsense. Left GMs with too little time to go to their Plan Bs. :disagree:
kray28

Postby kray28 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:59 am

JGC wrote:
kray28 wrote:So let me get this straight...the Lakers didn't actually make any offer, but the title says "Nets Turn Down Pau For Deron Trade".

LMAO. BSPN for teh win.

Well, according to sources, the Nets did turn down a trade in December.

But sources said that the Lakers actually offered Gasol to the Nets in December for Williams and were rejected.

1. Typical unnamed source which is highly dubious. I don't think we actually offered Pau for Deron.

2. The headline is today...implying an offer was made very recently and rejected by the Nets.
kray28

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 am

ESPN: Just to screw the Lakers, let's make Pau feel bad again for a few weeks :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby streamline on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 am

kray28 wrote:
JGC wrote:
kray28 wrote:So let me get this straight...the Lakers didn't actually make any offer, but the title says "Nets Turn Down Pau For Deron Trade".

LMAO. BSPN for teh win.

But sources said that the Lakers actually offered Gasol to the Nets in December for Williams and were rejected.

1. Typical unnamed source which is highly dubious. I don't think we actually offered Pau for Deron.

2. The headline is today...implying an offer was made very recently and rejected by the Nets.

LOL WHAT? when has anyone named their source...
streamline

Postby JGC on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

kray28 wrote:
JGC wrote:

LMAO. BSPN for teh win.

1. Ok then. To be fair, sources are hardly ever named.

2. Yeah, obviously their headline was intended to grab attention. Poor choice of words but they are in the business of getting attention so I'm really not surprised by it. I was just saying that whether it is true or not, they did say that the Nets turned down an offer by the Lakers on those parameters before and that they would still do it if offered it again.
JGC

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 am

Well if we did get Deron it wouldn't have been in a 2 team trade it would be a 3 team trade with Houston. Looks like Nets aren't trading him under any circumstance. Oh well let's just make the trade for Beasley/Sessions.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby SaintsLFC13 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 am

JGC wrote:

1. Ok then. To be fair, sources are hardly ever named.

2. Yeah, obviously their headline was intended to grab attention. Poor choice of words but they are in the business of getting attention so I'm really not surprised by it. I was just saying that whether it is true or not, they did say that the Nets turned down an offer by the Lakers on those parameters before and that they would still do it if offered it again.[/quote]

While you guys are right in that journo's hardly ever reveal their source, don't you think it's a bit odd that we allow that?

I mean, me, you, and the next man or woman can't get credit for a paper in college/hs/whatever level you're in provided you're passed 5th grade, without providing citations for the content.

Yet a professional journalist can say whatever they want to, without revealing their source, and it's perfectly okay and supposed to be passed off as near gospel on the topic in some cases?

Sorry for the rant but it's something that's always bothered me.

I also tend to agree with Kray on this topic, Journo's get paid to write stories and the fact that they don't usually reveal their sources makes them less credible for me. If the source doesn't want to be revealed then he or she shouldn't have said anything in the first place, for that matter, the source (assuming one exists) could be full of it as well.

As far as D-Will goes, let the Nets be just as naive as the magic and watch him walk this season. Sure we probably won't get him, but someone not moving to Brooklyn will, and I wouldn't be surprised if we test their resolve with a sign and trade offer where Pau goes somewhere if they still don't want him and the other team sends them people to give us Williams.

Edit: The quote got messed up do to board mechanics but you guys should know who it's directed at.
SaintsLFC13

Postby JGC on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:58 am

^ If sources were ALWAYS named, then there wouldn't ever be any sources would there? Then the only time you'd ever get any news is AFTER it already happened.

Passed off as gospel? You're making that up. I don't know any reasonable, educated person who would take "unnamed sources" as "gospel". Is that what you've been doing all these years? If so, it's time to stop.

I'm not sure where the idea that journalism has to be undeniable fact comes from exactly. It's just a report. Nothing in the report said anything about anything being a fact or being conclusive. It just said that some sources close to the Nets thinking (whatever that is) said the Nets would turn down a Deron for Pau swap.

If one wants to take that as gospel, that's their problem.
JGC

Postby Mr. Bryant on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:00 am

Arenas to the rescue unless he goes to Memphis
Mr. Bryant

Postby SaintsLFC13 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 am

JGC wrote:^ If sources were ALWAYS named, then there wouldn't ever be any sources would there? Then the only time you'd ever get any news is AFTER it already happened.

Passed off as gospel? You're making that up. I don't know any reasonable, educated person who would take "unnamed sources" as "gospel". Is that what you've been doing all these years? If so, it's time to stop.

I'm not sure where the idea that journalism has to be undeniable fact comes from exactly. It's just a report. Nothing in the report said anything about anything being a fact or being conclusive. It just said that some sources close to the Nets thinking (whatever that is) said the Nets would turn down a Deron for Pau swap.

If one wants to take that as gospel, that's their problem.

By passed off as Gospel I mean whatever organization reported it will shove it down your throat so many times that a lot of people end up believing it.

I already stated I don't believe them, journo's get paid to sensationalize things, so I don't where you'd get the idea that "that's what I've been doing".

My post wasn't meant to be combative, it simply a questioning of the contradiction within the establishment. To be a Journalist you'd have to write papers, with sources. Once you become one, you no longer need the sources because you can simply say they wish to remain unnamed. That's all.
SaintsLFC13

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 am

now that gasol is safe, maybe he can finally start playing more freely
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby dj vitus on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 am

Wait, now that Camby is a Rocket, and Rockets wanted to pair Camby with Pau, might we see Pau moved in the next 30 minutes? :freak2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby XXIV on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 am

fklukewalton wrote:now that gasol is safe, maybe he can finally start playing more freely

He's not safe for another 27 minutes.
XXIV

Postby borri on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am

XXIV wrote:
fklukewalton wrote:now that gasol is safe, maybe he can finally start playing more freely

He's not safe for another 27 minutes.

Getting Sessions = Pau is safe. We aren't moving Pau for anything but a very very good PG. Since we settled for a good PG in Sessions...Pau is safe.
borri

Postby Juronimo on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Pau is going to remain a Laker. Good.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:40 pm

So glad we kept Pau, now he knows he's gonna be here, I expect him to play even better than he has been.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Juronimo wrote:Pau is going to remain a Laker. Good.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby KB24 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm probably in the minority (I'm sure I am) but Pau looks like "damaged good" out there. He hasn't been a solid second option for the second consecutive year and he is getting older.

He also doesn't have the best perimeter shot to maximize his potential alongside Bynum. He is also rather one of our slower and declining players right now. I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading but I'm still thinking the Lakers need to be able to trade him. At almost 20 mio. $ he also makes too much.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:11 pm

hopefully now he can get his head back into the game
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 pm

KB24 wrote:I'm probably in the minority (I'm sure I am) but Pau looks like "damaged good" out there. He hasn't been a solid second option for the second consecutive year and he is getting older.

He also doesn't have the best perimeter shot to maximize his potential alongside Bynum. He is also rather one of our slower and declining players right now. I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading but I'm still thinking the Lakers need to be able to trade him. At almost 20 mio. $ he also makes too much.

I thought his shot has been better lately, he's even been going hard and dunking the ball more. Above all else though he keeps Bynum from getting tripled because guys have to respect him, and he helps Bynum on the boards because a guy always has to put a body on Pau, he's very valuable to us. And if it doesn't work out this year with us, the FO will probably just trade him in the offseason, but I still think it was worth giving it one more shot with this core this season, it's wide open out there after Miami, Chicago and OKC.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:36 pm

I wouldn't say the trade Gasol chat is over, just on hiatus and will likely resume this summer depending on how early the team gets booted from the playoffs.

It's usually better to trade an older star a year early than a year late. So I'd expect Pau gone this summer. Maybe someone will include a 1st for him?
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby artuditu on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:48 pm

The more you say he's a big and long overpaid contract, the less sense it makes to expect other teams to trade for him.

Also the new CBA just made obsolete those very big old contracts, there are sellers but not buyers.
artuditu

Postby mapabu1 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:50 pm

jlkr wrote:I wouldn't say the trade Gasol chat is over, just on hiatus and will likely resume this summer depending on how early the team gets booted from the playoffs.

It's usually better to trade an older star a year early than a year late. So I'd expect Pau gone this summer. Maybe someone will include a 1st for him?

I agree they are giving it one more run with him and then ship him off in the summer
mapabu1

Postby Center Court on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Good move. The right option wasn't there and they decided to hold on to him.

He can only play better knowing that he is still a Laker and hopefully raises his value enough that we can either win a ring or trade him for something better.
Center Court

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Well, he wasn't traded, pretty sure it's time to lock this up, I'm sure we'll have a new one of these threads in the summer.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to The Graveyard