1st round and 1 game
18%
2 rounds
25%

Total votes : 55

Re: How Many games does MWP miss?

Postby 24K GOLD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:02 am

King of Clutch wrote:
XXIV wrote:Did anything similar happen this year, so that we have something to compare it to?

so many. Just ask blake griffin. lol

lololol
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby XXIV on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 am

King of Clutch wrote:
XXIV wrote:Did anything similar happen this year, so that we have something to compare it to?

so many. Just ask blake griffin. lol

Fake injuries don't count. :man1:
XXIV

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 am

7-8 games
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby JGC on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:13 am

kray28 wrote:
JGC wrote:This poll is weird. The suspension will be handed down in the form of games not rounds.

There are a lot of folks here who are trying to set up the "NBA/Stern hates the Lakers" silly propaganda by posting things in other threads like "he should get no more than 5 games max" but if MWP doesn't get more than 5 games, then that would actually be an example of the NBA showing favoritism more than anything.

Drew got 5 games for his hit on Barea. Think about that for a moment. Bynum's hit was a frustration hit that occurred in a game where his Lakers had played very poorly, were all but eliminated from the postseason, and it happened while the ball was in play and he was playing defense. The hit was also a forearm shiver to the chest.

Contrast that with what Metta did. Frustration hit like Bynum's. Occurred early in a game that you can't say the Lakers were out of so no reason to be frustrated there, he wasn't playing poorly, and it did not occur while the ball was in play. In fact, it occurred after MWP had scored a basket and play was stopped. The hit was also an elbow to the ear/head area and Harden didn't really have a chance to see it coming either.

I hope Metta doesn't get a punishment at all, but based on what I have seen, there is no way it could be 5 games or less (and if it is, we should consider ourselves lucky if not a beneficiary of potential favoritism by the league since it is the playoffs) and will more likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10.

Fish got a one playoff game for his playoff hit on Scola....it was arguably just as vicious and was definitely pre-meditated. Thought it was fair.

In a fair world, Ron is out for Thursday's Sacto game, and then back with the team for the playoffs.

It would be great if a regular season infraction were served in the regular season as well. Don't let something like this influence the outcome of the playoffs. But doing something like suspending him for the entire playoffs will penalize the Lakers immeasurably.

Ron's past history is distant history....Malice at the Palace happened over 7 years ago. Yes, people still remember it, but Ron's been a veritably good citizen since that time and has worked hard to rebuild his reputation.

There are times when I wish I wasn't always able to think so subjectively ... I mean they say ignorance is bliss and bliss is good!

At any rate, the comparison to the DFish/Scola incident is a terrible one. The differences are night and day.

Key Differences
- There was a prior incident involving Scola and multiple players on the play right before the flagrant foul. 3 technical fouls were issued seconds prior to the incident. On a prior timeout, the ref (Crawford) went to both huddles and said guys, calm it down. Contextually, there was clear tension in the air on both sides.
- The incident occurred while the ball was in play. Contextually speaking, this will come in to play. When Kobe elbowed Artest in the throat while jockeying for a rebound in that playoff series, there is much merit to the argument that perhaps it occurred in the spirit of fighting for a rebound (and it did). In this case, there is really nothing else going on to even make an accident argument.
- The flagrant foul occurred while Scola was setting a pick, so he has some expectation of contact to brace for. In MWPs case, the elbow was to a defenseless Harden who never saw it coming.
- The foul was a forearm shiver in Dfish's case. In MWPs, it was an elbow. HUGE difference. Huge. Check the rule book.
- DFish has no history of dirty or senseless actions. MWP does. Not sure what qualifies as ancient history but anyone who is at the center of the worst incident of a decade is probably going to be punished harder than someone who has been a model citizen and president of the player's union.

In a TRULY fair world (NOT the one you described), MWP would get somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10 games.

In a TRULY unfair world, MWP would get 2 games or less.

Let's hope the league instead of punishment, gives him the Sportsmanship Award. That would be cool because outside of this incident, MWP has, as you said, been good for a few years now and actually does a lot for people outside of basketball.

But thinking subjectively, I would predict somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10 games.
JGC

Postby nameant on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 am

The more you watch the worse it looks...and lord knows the ppl deciding on his punishment are going to watch it 100 times. I'll be shocked if it's 5 games or less.
nameant

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:17 am

5gm min and a nasty fine to boot I wouldn't be shocked if its 100k+ min.
khmrP

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:34 am

Out for the year
BadCoaching

Postby Sirron on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 am

Harden may never be the same again
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby kray28 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 am

Sirron wrote:Harden may never be the same again

Yeah, he'll think twice before getting in a celebrating player's grill again.
kray28

Postby King of Clutch on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 am

kray28 wrote:
Sirron wrote:Harden may never be the same again

Yeah, he'll think twice before getting in a celebrating player's grill again.

:man10:
King of Clutch

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:16 am

Jason Smith's flagrant on Blake is as close as it gets to intent and maliciousness.

Ron being a 10, Jason's being a 9.

Jason got 2 games, which was pretty weak for the seriousness of the foul (despite Blake's extra acting).

If Ron get's more than 7-8 games, I call BS.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:35 am

I really hope I'm wrong, but I fully expect the league to come down hard on Metta.

10 games minimum, out for season maximum.... I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.
LakerFanIam

Postby Whatthef? on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:51 am

Ron should get the same # of games that DWade got when he gave Kobe a concussion and a broken nose.
Whatthef?

Postby jlkr on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Jason Smith's flagrant on Blake is as close as it gets to intent and maliciousness.

Ron being a 10, Jason's being a 9.

Jason got 2 games, which was pretty weak for the seriousness of the foul (despite Blake's extra acting).

If Ron get's more than 7-8 games, I call BS.

Have to remember Smith probably didn't have much of a history. Bynum was given 2 games for the Beasley hit before he did it again on Berea and got 5 games. So past history definitely plays a part. So if Smith ever does it again, it'll be 5 games for him.

In MWP's case, there is definitely a history. 2 or 3 games is wishful thinking. I'll be absolutely shocked if it's less than 5 games. Right now, I'm thinking Sacramento plus entire 1st round. That would be 5 to 8 games and sounds reasonable on the surface given the past history of punishments to other players. On the other hand, I still have that fear that they might just throw the book at MWP. Here's hoping they take into account that Harden intentionally moved into MWP's path plus MWP's relatively clean behavior since he joined the Lakers. Those factors hopefully count for something otherwise we'll probably see something totally unreasonable. Like the entire playoffs.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby jlkr on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Well actually now that I think about it, at least part of the punishment is already in place. A flagrant 2 was called, iirc, that mandates a one game suspension to be served against Sacramento. So the only question is how much will they add.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 pm

Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby XXIV on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:48 pm

^ Saw that on RGM, made me :man10:
XXIV

Postby Thenextgreat on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 pm

They will add quite a bit....Artest is lucky bloody wasn't drawn with that contact..he might of been banned from the league....
Thenextgreat

Postby The Original 81 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:52 pm

I think he could be gone for the rest of the year. The media is running away with this. My brother was watching Fox News' 'The Five' and my god how pathetic those people are. Bob Beckel was repeatedly calling Ron a thug, saying he should go to jail. Dana Perino acted like someone died in the incident. Of course they had to show the brawl at the Palace as well, saying how he does things like this "all the time". And they falsely reported that Ron changed his name to World Peace after the incident which is blatantly false. He should also be banned for life as well.

Maybe I'm a homer I don't know but that's WAY over the top IMO.

I think Ron could be done for the year I wouldn't be surprised. 5 games is fair game to me maybe a game or two more than that.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Season. Sorry. As I said in another thread (his thread), it should be the season. And he should never wear a Laker jersey again. It was a brainless act, but one that show how mental and out of control he can get.

I am sick of hearing that the Lakers are now the Thuggets -- with Barnes, and Drew's antics, and Kobe having a few elbows and "unnatural" basketball flails himself. If Ron did that to Kobe back when he chased him down in the Houston series (claiming Kobe hit him in the throat), or to Gasol, or to Blake, or Sessions, etc., we would be out of our minds :mad1:

He lost his mind for a second. Got caught up in the moment of a huge game. But with his track record, he couldn't afford it. I hope the Lakers themselves suspend him before the League does (though they would save more money if they let the League suspend him -- I think).

Anyway -- use the amnesty and move on. Team integrity is more important than winning.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby The Original 81 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:04 pm

^ I'd love to know who is referring to the Lakers as the Thuggets. Please enlighten me.

And please stop bringing up Ron's "track record" which consists of one incident that involved several players. People love talking about Ron's past yet they're only bringing up something that happened over 7 years ago.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Name another player that has been suspended for over 100 games, for mutliple different acts, over the course of many years, all for intentional fouls or other unnecessary roughness??? That is a track record.

And changing your name to Metta World Peace doesn't exactly exude mental stability....
tigerjeterkobe

Postby The Original 81 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:30 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Name another player that has been suspended for over 100 games, for mutliple different acts, over the course of many years, all for intentional fouls or other unnecessary roughness??? That is a track record.

And changing your name to Metta World Peace doesn't exactly exude mental stability....

Hey we are talking about a player who received last year's citizenship award. :man10:
The Original 81

Postby Justin Bailey on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm

You seriously think he should be kicked off the Lakers for this? :disagree:
KOBE G.O.A.T. wrote:Human is not car.
Justin Bailey

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏ @Mike_Bresnahan Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
NBA ruling on Metta World Peace won't come today, according to person familiar with the situation.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard