1st round and 1 game
18%
2 rounds
25%

Total votes : 55

Re: How Many games does MWP miss?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 pm

^they have to wait and ask Lebron what they should do..lol
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 pm

He deserved the citizenship award. But that didn't wipe his slate clean.

Yes, I "honestly" want him off the team. They were going to amnesty him anyway. Just do it now.

How can any owner or gm not be embarassed? How can you even defend that -- the elbow or the "you want some" reaction? It totally tainted an otherwise tremendous game -- the confidence building of Ebanks and Hill. He is just a looney bird. We are all fans of the team. I understand that my feeling is not liked by many of you. But I am curious whether anyone agrees with me. Like Jim or Mitch....
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:He deserved the citizenship award. But that didn't wipe his slate clean.

Yes, I "honestly" want him off the team. They were going to amnesty him anyway. Just do it now.

How can any owner or gm not be embarassed? How can you even defend that -- the elbow or the "you want some" reaction? It totally tainted an otherwise tremendous game -- the confidence building of Ebanks and Hill. He is just a looney bird. We are all fans of the team. I understand that my feeling is not liked by many of you. But I am curious whether anyone agrees with me. Like Jim or Mitch....

So if a near 7 foot 250 pound man came running at you, with intentions to fight, you are supposed to stand there, arms at your waist and get knocked out? Would you do that? I don't think so.

Ron was defending himself from someone that was coming at him. I bet you would have been happy if Ron just stood there and got ran over because in your holier then thou perspective it was the right thing to do.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Alcindor on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:02 pm

What odd choices for a poll.

Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏ @Mike_Bresnahan Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
NBA ruling on Metta World Peace won't come today, according to person familiar with the situation.

Waiting on Harden to begin eating solid foods again.
Alcindor

Postby Kit on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Alcindor wrote:What odd choices for a poll.

Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏ @Mike_Bresnahan Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
NBA ruling on Metta World Peace won't come today, according to person familiar with the situation.

Waiting on Harden to begin eating solid foods again.

LOL
Kit

Postby Ice Laker on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:22 pm

What an overreaction.

He should get 2 games max.

It's only because this is the artist formerly known as Ron Artest that people are having this tantrum.

Like that clown Dick Vitale. Asking Magic Johnson to ban him from the Playoffs.

Where was this outrage when Kevin Love stepped on Scola's face?
Ice Laker

Postby kray28 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:26 pm

I wonder if Harden looking like a destitute homeless man makes the crime look even more heinous. I figure the "beating up the homeless bum" penalty will add 1-2 extra games to the tab.
kray28

Postby ChumsGum on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:30 pm

cuz nobody watches timberwolf games. this one was on national tv watched by millions. the league probably has calls coming in from parents disgusted by Ron's actions. Mike breen didn't help either.
ChumsGum

Postby King of Clutch on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Ice Laker wrote:What an overreaction.

He should get 2 games max.

It's only because this is the artist formerly known as Ron Artest that people are having this tantrum.

Like that clown Dick Vitale. Asking Magic Johnson to ban him from the Playoffs.

Where was this outrage when Kevin Love stepped on Scola's face?

I know right. I'm glad ron hasn't done anything like that. Because if he did, based on this situation alone, the sky would've fell and ron would not be able to enter another nba stadium for the rest of his life. He would've been called the hoodlum of the nba, if he isn't already. It's sad really. To see some TRULY malicious acts go unheard while ron gets crucified for this unintentional, although reckless, incident.
King of Clutch

Postby jlkr on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Put enough work into this post that went into the MWP discussion thread that I thought it belonged here too.

MWP has been suspended 12 times in his career. Here is the MWP suspension history from this link. Just remember we're not talking ejections or all flagrant fouls yet, someone might be able to dig that one up. In the meantime, if you wanted the suspension track record, here you go...

Feb. 21, 2001: As a Chicago Bull, one game for his role in an in-game altercation with the Milwaukee Bucks' Glenn Robinson

Jan. 4, 2003: As an Indiana Pacer, three games for throwing a television monitor and a cameraman's camera onto the floor following the conclusion of a game vs. the New York Knicks.

Jan. 29, 2003: With the Pacers, four games for confronting and making physical contact with Miami Heat coach Pat Riley, for taunting the Miami bench, for committing a flagrant foul-2 on Caron Butler (pushing him into the stands) and making an obscene gesture toward fans.

March 9, 2003: With the Pacers, one game for exceeding the maximum allowable flagrant foul points in a season.

March 13, 2003: With the Pacers, one game for again exceeding the maximum allowable flagrant foul points in a season.

March 20, 2003: With the Pacers, two games for again exceeding the maximum allowable flagrant foul points in a season.

March 19, 2004: With the Pacers, one game for hitting the Portland Trail Blazers' Derek Anderson in the head with a forearm.

April 19, 2004: With the Pacers, one game for leaving the immediate vicinity of his team's bench during an altercation.

Nov. 21, 2004: With the Pacers, 73 games for his role in an in-game incident between Indiana and the Detroit Pistons.

April 24, 2006: With the Kings, one game for making contact with the head of San Antonio Spur Manu Ginobili with his forearm.

July 14, 2007: With the Kings, seven games for pleading "nolo contendre" to infliction of injury on a spouse.

May 5, 2011: With the Lakers, one game for swinging his arm and striking the face of the Dallas Mavericks' J.J. Barea.

A few remarks:
1) 8 of those 12 suspensions before the Malice incident.

2) 5 of those 8 took place in the 2002-03 season of which 3 were assessed for exceeding the flagrant foul limits. He has never been suspended since for that particular offense. In other words, he may still be committing flagrant fouls and we should try to get a count of those for the past 7 seasons, but he's not committing enough of them to get into trouble.

3) He has never been suspended for earning too many technicals in a season. Seem to recall Kobe came close to that threshold a couple of times.

4) Just 2 in-game conduct suspensions since Malice, one in 2006 and one last year. One game each. 2 in the last 7 seasons. Chew on that...

5) He also served a 7 game suspension for a domestic violence conviction in 2007. That is the most he has ever been suspended for other than the Malice incident.

6) So ... total 96 games. Now that looks horrible on the surface, but digging deeper reveals the 73 for Malice and another 7 for the domestic violence case. That leaves 16 for all other basketball reasons of which just 2 have taken place since Malice.

Now someone can work on getting his ejection and flagrant foul history on here ... but in the meantime, yes it has to be said there's a lot of history, yet the case that most of it is old is very legitimate in spite of anything some posters here might say. So calls for banning him for the entire playoffs are definite overkill.

I think of two punishment scenarios: (1), 5 to 8 games, that's Sacramento plus the first round of the playoffs. Severe but think everyone except the most rabid anti-MWP naysayers can live with that. Or (2), suspended exactly as many games as Harden is out plus 2 more. In which case that would be at least 4 games since Harden is currently expected to miss OKC's last two regular season games this week. I can live that outcome too.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby dj vitus on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:52 pm

I voted 3 :man10: but judging by his history and how bad the media makes it look, I would now say about 10 regular season games next year.

Didn't he come back for the playoffs after the Palace incident? He'll probably be ok to play but then again I wouldn't be surprised if they added 3 or 5 games there, too, on top of the 10 regular season ones.

I still think Smith's foul on Blake Griffin was much worse despite Griffin's added acting on the floor.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Alcindor on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:57 pm

jlkr wrote:Put enough work into this post that went into the MWP discussion thread that I thought it belonged here too.

MWP has been suspended 12 times in his career. Here is the MWP suspension history from this link. Just remember we're not talking ejections or all flagrant fouls yet, someone might be able to dig that one up. In the meantime, if you wanted the suspension track record, here you go...

Feb. 21, 2001: As a Chicago Bull, one game for his role in an in-game altercation with the Milwaukee Bucks' Glenn Robinson

Jan. 4, 2003: As an Indiana Pacer, three games for throwing a television monitor and a cameraman's camera onto the floor following the conclusion of a game vs. the New York Knicks.

Jan. 29, 2003: With the Pacers, four games for confronting and making physical contact with Miami Heat coach Pat Riley, for taunting the Miami bench, for committing a flagrant foul-2 on Caron Butler (pushing him into the stands) and making an obscene gesture toward fans.

March 9, 2003: With the Pacers, one game for exceeding the maximum allowable flagrant foul points in a season.

March 13, 2003: With the Pacers, one game for again exceeding the maximum allowable flagrant foul points in a season.

March 20, 2003: With the Pacers, two games for again exceeding the maximum allowable flagrant foul points in a season.

March 19, 2004: With the Pacers, one game for hitting the Portland Trail Blazers' Derek Anderson in the head with a forearm.

April 19, 2004: With the Pacers, one game for leaving the immediate vicinity of his team's bench during an altercation.

Nov. 21, 2004: With the Pacers, 73 games for his role in an in-game incident between Indiana and the Detroit Pistons.

April 24, 2006: With the Kings, one game for making contact with the head of San Antonio Spur Manu Ginobili with his forearm.

July 14, 2007: With the Kings, seven games for pleading "nolo contendre" to infliction of injury on a spouse.

May 5, 2011: With the Lakers, one game for swinging his arm and striking the face of the Dallas Mavericks' J.J. Barea.

A few remarks:
1) 8 of those 12 suspensions before the Malice incident.

2) 5 of those 8 took place in the 2002-03 season of which 3 were assessed for exceeding the flagrant foul limits. He has never been suspended since for that particular offense. In other words, he may still be committing flagrant fouls and we should try to get a count of those for the past 7 seasons, but he's not committing enough of them to get into trouble.

3) He has never been suspended for earning too many technicals in a season. Seem to recall Kobe came close to that threshold a couple of times.

4) Just 2 in-game conduct suspensions since Malice, one in 2006 and one last year. One game each. 2 in the last 7 seasons. Chew on that...

5) He also served a 7 game suspension for a domestic violence conviction in 2007. That is the most he has ever been suspended for other than the Malice incident.

6) So ... total 96 games. Now that looks horrible on the surface, but digging deeper reveals the 73 for Malice and another 7 for the domestic violence case. That leaves 16 for all other basketball reasons of which just 2 have taken place since Malice.

Now someone can work on getting his ejection and flagrant foul history on here ... but in the meantime, yes it has to be said there's a lot of history, yet the case that most of it is old is very legitimate in spite of anything some posters here might say. So calls for banning him for the entire playoffs are definite overkill.

I think of two punishment scenarios: (1), 5 to 8 games, that's Sacramento plus the first round of the playoffs. Severe but think everyone except the most rabid anti-MWP naysayers can live with that. Or (2), suspended exactly as many games as Harden is out plus 2 more. In which case that would be at least 4 games since Harden is currently expected to miss OKC's last two regular season games this week. I can live that outcome too.

See, I look at all that and think, look at the improvement in the last 5-6 years!
Alcindor

Postby Kasumi on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:59 pm

I voted 3 games, but actually think it will be 5 games (that option wasn't available)
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Why is it taking so long for them to say how many games he'll miss?
The Laker Link

Postby Snake Eyes on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:47 pm

The Laker Link wrote:Why is it taking so long for them to say how many games he'll miss?

I don't think a decision is coming today. I hope the NBA is debating how many games to suspend Ron for and are taking into account his recent, largely reformed, nature.
Snake Eyes

Postby alexthegreat on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:54 pm

The Laker Link wrote:Why is it taking so long for them to say how many games he'll miss?

They are probably taking their time since the next game isn't till Thursday.
alexthegreat

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:...I hope the NBA is debating how many games to suspend Ron for and are taking into account his recent, largely reformed, nature.

To use Bynum's favorite word: "definitely."

At least, I hope so, because we're going to need him in the playoffs.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 pm

My feeling is he's done for the season simply because the league won't want the possibility of him playing in the 2nd round against the Thunder.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Uncle_Meat on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:54 pm

What people forget is MWP has a history going back. This will be taken into account. His behavior at the time of his season long suspension was flat out pathological. His latest slip will be looked upon with a jaundiced eye. MWP will be lucky if he plays again this season. He's a certified head case on psychiatric drugs. These are toxic substances that really make people worse not better but he wanted to stay in the league so I'm sure he takes them. Unfortunately, a common side effect is violent behavior. He's a done pretty well over the years but who really knows what could happen next?
Uncle_Meat

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:02 pm

He really hasn't been violent lately. There were plenty of flagrant fouls last season and this season and no one calls all those people "violent." Flagrant fouls happen. Usually, they don't escalate into something serious.

Fisher's famous foul on Scola was violent, so was Raja's foul on Kobe. But they are not violent people. At least I don't think they are, and I don't think Metta is.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kasumi on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Uncle_Meat wrote:He's a certified head case on psychiatric drugs. These are toxic substances that really make people worse not better but he wanted to stay in the league so I'm sure he takes them. Unfortunately, a common side effect is violent behavior. He's a done pretty well over the years but who really knows what could happen next?

My personal opinion, but I think you might benefit from some of the mental health disorder awareness information that MWP has been promoting. You are implying that anyone with mental health issues can snap at any moment when the reality is that with proper medication and therapy, they can live productive, healthy lives.
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm

alexthegreat wrote:

They are probably taking their time since the next game isn't till Thursday.

Wondering same thing.....probably the unspoken enjoyment of watching the franchise twist in the wind with playoffs starting Saturday plays into it if I'm looking at it cynically (of course I am). Is anyone else even involved in this decision besides Stern and Jackson?
LTLakerFan

Postby Phil XI on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 pm

15. Figure 1 game left plus 14, 7 each should the 1st and 2nd rounds guarantee he won't be able to play against OKC again. If LA closes out either, or both, series faster, he misses games into the WCF. That's a pretty hefty punishment. Bynum got 5 for trying to intentionally hurt Barea, but not a head shot. So I'd say an extra 5 for the head and an extra 5 for the reputation factor. 15.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby magicman32 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 pm

5-10 games, it won't be by round
magicman32

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Whatthef? wrote:Ron should get the same # of games that DWade got when he gave Kobe a concussion and a broken nose.

Are you serious? A hard foul on a basketball play which accidentally caused the injury compared to an uninstigated elbow to the head which was not a basketball play? My God, there are delusional people on this planet. :bang:
Lets Go Lakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard